Lump of Coal...

Share pet collecting news and advice.
GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us
Re: Lump of Coal...

Post by GormanGhaste » December 17th, 2011, 7:54 pm

Strange Snowman, located SW of Growless Cave in a grove of trees, also gives the Winter Veil daily, if you forget to pick it up in town.
Mingyao on Madoran

Shalura
Pet Score:7233
Realm:Anvilmar-us

Post by Shalura » December 18th, 2011, 1:32 pm

GormanGhaste wrote:Strange Snowman, located SW of Growless Cave in a grove of trees, also gives the Winter Veil daily, if you forget to pick it up in town.
Ooh, thanks. Good to know.

Elion

Post by Elion » December 18th, 2011, 7:50 pm

The fact that it's from a daily makes me sad because I'm going to miss about 7 days of the holiday for traveling, etc.

Harval
MVP
Pet Score:4699
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harval » December 19th, 2011, 1:46 am

I picked this up on an alt (I think my 16th attempt total), but I will still be trying on my main because I'm not patient enough or confident enough in Blizzard's pet battle promise.

Twilight
Top Rater
Pet Score:1404
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Twilight » December 19th, 2011, 7:38 pm

I'm going to play my tiny violin for a moment and whine briefly about my Rocket Bot not being as leet any more because people can get it again.

On the other hand, I'm excited that there will finally be other people with it to play with!

Harval
MVP

Post by Harval » December 21st, 2011, 10:06 pm

I'm not really thrilled with them reusing the 2007 pet (I just got it today and had to destroy it). It would figure they'd not give me a change at Spirit of Competition, though I hope it will become tradeable in 5.0 since I think my guild friend will let me have his.

G3cko09

Post by G3cko09 » December 22nd, 2011, 12:58 am

Moritach wrote:I got Lumpy from my first daily quest bag and so did another guildie. I guess the drop chance isn't too low? Or maybe I'm just making up for my bad luck with 1440 casts to get the damn sea pony. >.>
I got Lumpy yesterday, but like Moritach I spent quiet a bit of time trying for the sea pony but didn't catch it. And for the past 5 days I've been trying to farm the disgusting oozling with no luck.

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » December 22nd, 2011, 9:44 am

No luck for me thus far, for either pet.
I am losing hope already ;_;

Harval
MVP

Post by Harval » December 22nd, 2011, 10:24 am

Yeah, I don't think the drop rate is great. I don't see myself getting this one on my main character, I've already had too good of luck with the Frostling and Oozling.

Jadax
Top Rater

Post by Jadax » December 23rd, 2011, 6:45 am

Sunscorch wrote:No luck for me thus far, for either pet.
I am losing hope already ;_;
Spoke too soon xD

Kymuri
Top Rater
Pet Score:13069
BattleTag®:Kymuri#2738
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Kymuri » December 23rd, 2011, 7:03 am

Grats Sunscorch!! Love the screenie!! :)

Still no Lumpy. :( I did get the 2007 Clockwork Rocket Bot day before yesterday. I was very surprised when I got it, because I thought that pet was no longer available!! For some mysterious reason, my original Clockwork Rocket Bot was missing from my collection. Looking back on it now, I think it was a victim of the transition in BC when Blizz made the pets learnable. I think I just never realized it. A friend of mine lost all his mounts AND pets when that happened. We are so fortunate to have such improvements in our ability to track and manage our collections now. :)

Jadax
Top Rater

Post by Jadax » December 23rd, 2011, 7:20 am

Thanks ^_^

Grats on your Rocket Bot, too. I still need him =(
I didn't play back in '07.

Oceanaia
Top Rater
Pet Score:5376
BattleTag®:Oceanaia#1971
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Oceanaia » December 23rd, 2011, 8:23 pm

Still no Lumpy for me. I'm getting Frigid Frostling deja vu here. At least I did manage to pick myself a nice Rocket bot the first day, so it's not all bad.

Harval
MVP

Post by Harval » December 26th, 2011, 3:32 am

Still nothing.

Reading Quintessence's blog, I have to agree. This is not fun. This isn't engaging or exciting. "Hoping" is not a fun task and has zero upside to it. You either get lucky and find the pet, feeling no accomplishment but that feeling of relief you were lucky or you are graced to feel the disappointment of RNG not shining on you that day.

It's a bad system and I despise it. The days of farmable holiday bosses with rare drops is one that should return and never should have been abandoned. It allowed for casual collectors to "get lucky" and find something nice while still permitted dedicated collector types to do the heavy grinding needed to grab the pet. Blizzard has effectively ruined any "fun" I might have during their holidays because half of them consist of running head first into a boss for 2 minutes per day and hoping you find something in a bag once you turn in the quest, which you only have so many chances at. How could anyone sane think that to even sound like fun?

Poor design (how shocking from Blizzard) on this. A 100% "bah humbug" to this.

Zyndra
MVP
Pet Score:6804
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Zyndra » December 26th, 2011, 4:43 am

Harval, I was coming here to post the very same thing... but you said it perfectly.

Worst WoW Christmas EVER!

Twilight
Top Rater
Pet Score:1404
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Twilight » December 26th, 2011, 1:39 pm

An upside ... twice in a row I've flown up to the Growless Cave only to find the Grinch already defeated. I looted the bag, talked to Metzen, and went on back to Ironforge. No waiting for a group or killing the Grinch required!

Ritsuka
Pet Score:2137
Realm:Thorium Brotherhood-us

Post by Ritsuka » December 26th, 2011, 1:45 pm

Yeah. I log on, do this stupid task, and don't even want to play anymore for the rest of the day I'm so disgusted by it. I loathe this system, and it blows my mind that they've not only persisted in keeping it, but have now ADDED ANOTHER THING to it.

Oh - and I just got a second Clockwork Rocket Bot this year. Both on Ritsuka. Who has had it since 2007. Yet can't get Lumpy. Just FoS presents I already have and a hideous sweater. :\

Harval
MVP

Post by Harval » December 29th, 2011, 10:56 am

Too long as passed without this being said:

This is terrible.