My Pet Collection
You've collected 0 pets
Log in to track your collection

Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Share pet collecting news and advice.
User avatar
Luciandk
 
Posts: 1293
Joined: February 12th, 2012
Pet Score: 3576
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Luciandk » July 25th, 2013, 12:18 pm

Just saw this:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9499901608

The Sha of Pride will drop a Gooey Sha-ling on LFR/Flexible, and a Droplet of Yar'Shaarj on Normal/Heroic, similar to the the Living Fluid/Viscous Horror in ToT

Other SoO pets don't specify a difficulty so will likely drop on all modes (Blackfuse Bombling/Kovok).


At least Sha of Pride is not terribly deep in the raid, unlike Primordius.

You can easilly see the abilities of the new pets here
http://ptr.wowdb.com/npcs/battle-pets?f ... p-source=5

But unlike the ToT slimes, these 2 pets have wildly different abilities.

User avatar
Ryazan
MVP
 
Posts: 242
Joined: February 24th, 2011
Pet Score: 5197
Realm: Ragnaros-EU

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Ryazan » July 25th, 2013, 12:50 pm

Just sigh...
- Taking your candles since 2005

Everything you need to know about WoD followers can be found in my Warlords of Draenor Follower Guide: http://www.wowhead.com/guide=2533

User avatar
Domie
Top Rater
 
Posts: 245
Joined: April 15th, 2009
Pet Score: 4810
BattleTag®: Domie#2293
Realm: Kazzak-EU

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Domie » July 25th, 2013, 2:59 pm

I dont think this is a problem, i think its nice that there is raid pets. Its also not impossible to get them if you are not a raider, you can buy them if you want them that bad :)

User avatar
Ravnhawk
MVP
 
Posts: 705
Joined: January 2nd, 2013
Pet Score: 5167
BattleTag®: ravnhawk#1272
Realm: Zul'jin-US

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Ravnhawk » July 25th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Yes you can buy them but the cost in gold is prohibitive at best. If they at least had a higher drop rate the cost would come down eventually. There is also even if it drops the Non Pet people are the ones that usually win LOL but at least they'll try and sell it.

User avatar
Luciandk
 
Posts: 1293
Joined: February 12th, 2012
Pet Score: 3576
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Luciandk » July 25th, 2013, 3:07 pm

Well, at least this one will be available right from the beginning of 5.4. Unlike Viscous Horror that was added late in 5.3, missing out of tons of potential drops.

User avatar
Poofah
 
Posts: 820
Joined: October 5th, 2012
Pet Score: 4206
Realm: Llane-US

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Poofah » July 25th, 2013, 3:18 pm

And it should drop from bonus rolls unlike pets in 5.3; and apparently it drops in flex difficulty as well. So not quite as bad as Viscous Horror, but likely to be one of the toughest 5.4 pets (damnit Moon Moon).

User avatar
Luciandk
 
Posts: 1293
Joined: February 12th, 2012
Pet Score: 3576
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Luciandk » July 25th, 2013, 3:45 pm

Poofah wrote:And it should drop from bonus rolls unlike pets in 5.3; and apparently it drops in flex difficulty as well. So not quite as bad as Viscous Horror, but likely to be one of the toughest 5.4 pets (damnit Moon Moon).


Each pet gets 2 difficulties it can drop on.

Gooey Sha-ling = LFR and Flex
Droplet of Y'Shaarj = Normal and Heroic.

User avatar
Gilneas
Top Rater
 
Posts: 427
Joined: May 11th, 2008
Pet Score: 5059
Realm: Kargath-US

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Gilneas » July 25th, 2013, 3:48 pm

The idea of a normal/heroic pet is fine. However, the horror's drop rate is just too low. As a result saying that you can just buy it off the AH is laughable at best; it just doesn't drop enough for there to be a supply anywhere close to the demand.

Now, the new one.... it will work off of bonus rolls ( I assume) so that should help a little bit. Its also on the 4th boss in the zone instead of the 8th. That should also help since there will be more kills of Sha sooner. Its also being introduced at the start of the tier instead of 3 months later.

That all being said, those things in its favor won't help all that much if the drop rate is just as bad.

Poofah wrote: and apparently it drops in flex difficulty as well. So not quite as bad as Viscous Horror, but likely to be one of the toughest 5.4 pets (damnit Moon Moon).


The normal/heroic pet (Droplet of Y'shaarj) does not drop in Flex. The LFR pet (Gooey Sha-ling) is the one that also drops in Flex.

Edit: Nvm, that last part. Poofah is correct. On the PTR its how I said it, but Mumper has since tweeted that the Droplet is from Flex too, and the Sha-ling is LFR only.
Last edited by Gilneas on July 25th, 2013, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Domie
Top Rater
 
Posts: 245
Joined: April 15th, 2009
Pet Score: 4810
BattleTag®: Domie#2293
Realm: Kazzak-EU

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Domie » July 25th, 2013, 3:56 pm

But its not like everyone should be able to get the pets just because they want them.

Also with the pets coming out with the instance, being able to get it from rolls, and the boss (apparently) not being as far into the instance will all make it quite a bit more common.

User avatar
Luciandk
 
Posts: 1293
Joined: February 12th, 2012
Pet Score: 3576
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Luciandk » July 25th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Domie wrote:But its not like everyone should be able to get the pets just because they want them.

Also with the pets coming out with the instance, being able to get it from rolls, and the boss (apparently) not being as far into the instance will all make it quite a bit more common.


Yes, Sha of Pride is the third boss boss in the first wing.

User avatar
Quintessence
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2057
Joined: June 4th, 2008
Pet Score: 5156
Realm: Proudmoore-US

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Quintessence » July 25th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Domie wrote:Its also not impossible to get them if you are not a raider, you can buy them if you want them that bad :)


It's near impossible, though. The horror has such a low droprate, was released so late in the tier, and is on a boss that's pretty far into the instance, even if you wanted to buy it, there are practically none up on the AH at any given time. I've only seen up for sale on my server a handful of times (more often on horde than ally).

Gilneas wrote:However, the horror's drop rate is just too low. As a result saying that you can just buy it off the AH is laughable at best; it just doesn't drop enough for there to be a supply anywhere close to the demand.

Now, the new one.... it will work off of bonus rolls ( I assume) so that should help a little bit. Its also on the 4th boss in the zone instead of the 8th. That should also help since there will be more kills of Sha sooner. Its also being introduced at the start of the tier instead of 3 months later.

That all being said, those things in its favor won't help all that much if the drop rate is just as bad.


I'm not a fan of the different raid-mode exclusive pets, but I'll wait and see what the droprate is like for the Sha pets. Hopefully they will have taken the experiences with the horrors as an example and lesson, and apply what they've learned to the 5.4 raid pets.
Image
Feel free to browse through Perks N Peeves, my vanity pet collecting blog!

User avatar
Gilneas
Top Rater
 
Posts: 427
Joined: May 11th, 2008
Pet Score: 5059
Realm: Kargath-US

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Gilneas » July 25th, 2013, 7:53 pm

Quintessence wrote:It's near impossible, though. The horror has such a low droprate, was released so late in the tier, and is on a boss that's pretty far into the instance, even if you wanted to buy it, there are practically none up on the AH at any given time. I've only seen up for sale on my server a handful of times (more often on horde than ally).


Yup, pretty much. Could have been done much better. But I have faith they'll have learned something from the horror.

User avatar
Azrile
 
Posts: 322
Joined: April 21st, 2013
Pet Score: 3600
Realm: Fenris-US

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Azrile » July 25th, 2013, 8:13 pm

Domie wrote:But its not like everyone should be able to get the pets just because they want them.

Also with the pets coming out with the instance, being able to get it from rolls, and the boss (apparently) not being as far into the instance will all make it quite a bit more common.


I agree with this. I don´t know what the OCD is about having to have every pet right away. These pets are very ´average´ in both looks and abilities.. so other than ´I need to own everything´... what is so difficult about saying there is a pet that will cost you a lot of gold, or else require you to get lucky in some OpenRaid groups.

I only got serious about the new pet system a week after the snowy owl stopped spawning (check, it is one of the few pets I am missing).. and honestly, I am already kinda bored because there are very few pets left to get that don´t require real money. I like that the Viscous Horror is still out there taunting me. It is a much more important pet to me ´out there´.. then another 1 of 535 that I rarely ever look at.

If theese pets were required or useful for battling, that would be one thing.. but their abilities are easily replaced with 20 other pets you already own.

User avatar
NathKnave
Top Rater
 
Posts: 182
Joined: March 15th, 2009
Pet Score: 4971
Realm: Nathrezim-US

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby NathKnave » July 25th, 2013, 9:56 pm

I don't have a problem with current raids dropping pets, I like how they've managed to fit pets into nearly every aspect of the game. The drop rate on the pets in ToT is frustratingly low however. I've been in the Raid Finder for ToT on my main every week it's been available along with one alt that has been there for over two months. I've seen exactly one pet drop. People complain about the drop rate on Raiding with Leashes II, but how pissed would you be if in five months you had seen only one pet drop from those raids? It's possible that the drop rate is higher in normal and heroic, but I'm betting the majority of pet collectors aren't seeing normal or heroic raids for current content.

The drop rate for these raid pets still isn't the biggest problem I see though. Once again they're making a pet that is only available in Raid Finder difficulty. These pets will be nearly impossible to get once a new expansion comes out and everyone levels to 91 and beyond. Dragon Soul Raid Finder became unavailable to run once you hit level 86. Right now with my luck of getting pets in Raid Finder, I have doubts about getting these before the next expansion.

Even if I am lucky enough to get both of the Raid Finder only pets, I plan on locking at least one character to level 90 in order to try to keep running these raids in Raid Finder. I expect these two pets to worth hundreds of thousands of gold once the level cap is raised beyond 90. Once we get closer to the next expansion, it would be nice if this site started some sort of group of level-locked 90's to run these every week for these pets, possibly through the WarcraftPets guild.

User avatar
Domie
Top Rater
 
Posts: 245
Joined: April 15th, 2009
Pet Score: 4810
BattleTag®: Domie#2293
Realm: Kazzak-EU

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Domie » July 25th, 2013, 10:18 pm

NathKnave wrote:The drop rate for these raid pets still isn't the biggest problem I see though. Once again they're making a pet that is only available in Raid Finder difficulty. These pets will be nearly impossible to get once a new expansion comes out and everyone levels to 91 and beyond. Dragon Soul Raid Finder became unavailable to run once you hit level 86. Right now with my luck of getting pets in Raid Finder, I have doubts about getting these before the next expansion.


If they dont change this, it will indeed become a problem, but i could see them doing something like they did with the EoE drakes, making both of the pets that drop from such bosses, drop on normal and HC. I hope its something they have thought of, so it wont be months of waiting for a serious way of getting these lfr only pets again, once the next expansion go live.

User avatar
Wamo
Top Rater
 
Posts: 112
Joined: August 8th, 2008
Pet Score: 2045
Realm: Moon Guard-US

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Wamo » July 25th, 2013, 10:45 pm

I'm happy that they are continuing with the normal/heroic pet idea. Can't have everything be easy to obtain!

User avatar
Gwenolyn
MVP
 
Posts: 413
Joined: June 27th, 2009
Pet Score: 5117
BattleTag®: Gwenolyn#1245
Realm: Aerie Peak-US

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Gwenolyn » July 25th, 2013, 10:58 pm

Domie wrote:But its not like everyone should be able to get the pets just because they want them.


I disagree. This isn't gear, these are fun, vanity items that should be relatively available to anyone with a little hard work. I would rather have a long, tedious farm (which I am not afraid of... farmed emerald whelps when it was insanely hard and 3 Hyacinths back in the old ship to ship to ship days). Just saying it doesn't seem like a vanity pet should require 9 other people and weeks and weeks of raiding, for a miniscule chance to even get to roll on it. If you just described this to someone and didn't tell them what the item was, I bet they wouldn't guess "pet".

Guess I can wait 2-3 years, or hope Blizz increases the droprate which may or may not happen. I used to enjoy the pet collecting game because it was something I could do by myself.

The raiding with leashes pets would have been hard back in the day, but look at those droprates... maybe these will be there someday??

User avatar
Waflob
 
Posts: 159
Joined: January 6th, 2009
Pet Score: 4117
Realm: Earthen Ring-EU

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Waflob » July 26th, 2013, 12:53 am

Transmog gear and mounts are also vanity items. Sometimes you can solo older content, sometimes you need to form a raid for what you want. There is no guarantee that your desired item will drop, or that you'll be the only one to roll on it.

I'm not heavily into the mogging or mount 'scene', but I don't get the impression that similar discussions to this take place there. There seems to be something about pets that makes people think differently and I have no idea what it is.

User avatar
Azrile
 
Posts: 322
Joined: April 21st, 2013
Pet Score: 3600
Realm: Fenris-US

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Azrile » July 26th, 2013, 1:52 am

Gwenolyn wrote:
Domie wrote:But its not like everyone should be able to get the pets just because they want them.


I disagree. This isn't gear, these are fun, vanity items that should be relatively available to anyone with a little hard work. I would rather have a long, tedious farm (which I am not afraid of... farmed emerald whelps when it was insanely hard and 3 Hyacinths back in the old ship to ship to ship days). Just saying it doesn't seem like a vanity pet should require 9 other people and weeks and weeks of raiding, for a miniscule chance to even get to roll on it. If you just described this to someone and didn't tell them what the item was, I bet they wouldn't guess "pet".

Guess I can wait 2-3 years, or hope Blizz increases the droprate which may or may not happen. I used to enjoy the pet collecting game because it was something I could do by myself.

The raiding with leashes pets would have been hard back in the day, but look at those droprates... maybe these will be there someday??


Don´t mean to argue.. but you said ´these are fun´. what exactly is fun about a non-unique looking pet with non-unique abilities that you will just learn and probably never even look at again. I have 25 cats, almost all of which I have never summoned... none of them are fun. Unborn Vylkire is fun... rocket chicken is fun.... If you make these things just another easy drop, then they will just be learned and forgotten. I can´t even remember what most of the Raiding with Leashes I drops are, because they were very easy to get right away. you learn them and forget them.. they become just another +1 There would be nothing fun about them. I like the vicious horror. I like that it will show up on the AH randomly, sometimes very underpriced because nobody knows what it is. But most of all, I like the fact that there is something left to accomplish.

User avatar
Azrile
 
Posts: 322
Joined: April 21st, 2013
Pet Score: 3600
Realm: Fenris-US

Re: Appears blizzard is repeating the Viscous Horror problem

Postby Azrile » July 26th, 2013, 1:56 am

Waflob wrote:Transmog gear and mounts are also vanity items. Sometimes you can solo older content, sometimes you need to form a raid for what you want. There is no guarantee that your desired item will drop, or that you'll be the only one to roll on it.

I'm not heavily into the mogging or mount 'scene', but I don't get the impression that similar discussions to this take place there. There seems to be something about pets that makes people think differently and I have no idea what it is.


I did an OpenRaid achievement run a couple days ago for Ulduar 10 man. they guy leading the group ( and explaining the achievments needed).. was there only for transmog... ONE SWORD... This was his 8th week doing the achievement runs of the same dungeon just for that one sword. When 6.0 comes, there will probably be plenty of opportunities to do SoO on OpenRaid. I could literally run Ulduar 10 times a week on all my alts if I wanted to. And OpenRaid is going to become huge when flex raiding starts.

Next

Return to Pet Collecting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest