possible Spectral Tiger Cub dupes?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Ablutos
Realm:Blackrock-us
Re: possible Spectral Tiger Cub dupes?

Post by Ablutos » July 13th, 2013, 12:56 am

my 2c -
I highly suggest you STAY AWAY from cheap cubs for two reasons -
1 -there is a small chance the will be taken off you and you will NOT be reimburse, seen this happen numerous times and since this is TCG stuff the chance is higher imo, i know of 3-4 people who have lost there items with the DMC/VOS fiasco.
2 - you are supporting these "people" whats next? duping soul-traders? it will just lead to devaluing pets, these are the same "people" who hack/attempt to hack you and sell your gold for $$.

If you do want to take "advantage" of the cheap cubs then -
1. STAY AWAY FROM LEVEL 6+ PETS, most of them are level 6, however some have been leveled up to 8,11,13 etc.
2. BUY FROM A REPUTABLE SELLER, ask them if the cub is a dupe most of em will be honest from my experience, i have about 75% on real id and i know about 10% are buying dupes, but if you ask them they will be honest. buy off these guys who have very good reputations and have been trading for 6months+

The only people who should be buying cubs are the ones for personal collection who want to take advantage of the cheaper price and i suggest you pay that little bit extra for a real legit non dodgy cub from a reputable seller. Its easy to think you can buy dupes for 150k and resell them for 200k but the reality is most likely your going to get stuck with a dodgy cub, and the prices will only go down short term not up. Only way to profit is hanging onto them long term and you run the gauntlet of having them taken off you (bad idea)

Kagalii
Top Rater
Pet Score:10513
BattleTag®:Mikadochan#1520
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Kagalii » July 13th, 2013, 6:48 am

Yeah, noticed a HUGE upturn in Spectral Cub activity on Area 52 the last 3-4 days maybe. I was tempted to buy one and trade it away but something just didn't feel right about the sudden increase, now I'm kinda glad I didn't cause I'd be worried about 1)losing my own gold 2)trading it away and that person losing their item and also creating a bad reputation for me as dishonest (even if I seriously didn't know the item was duped). Currently, there are 3 of them on the AH, 2 level 6 and 1 level 25. Also, a bunch of level 1s selling in trade as well as others trying to flip them in trade. Hope Blizzard puts a stop to this soon, really sucks to have such a rare item reduced to this because of cheaters.

I myself bought one for 100k off the AH about half a year ago, so I got decently lucky as I've never seen it for that low before or since.

P.S. I also noticed a pretty big increase in Spectral Cub activity on the US pet trading forum here, and while everyone claims their cub is legit I'd personally hold off on trading for now until this ordeal dies down and Blizzard finishes taking action. I don't wanna call out anyone specific, but you have to agree it's a bit weird how the duping coincided with the activity on WCP forums too. I'd bet not every cub being traded here is legit as everyone claims.

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » July 13th, 2013, 12:49 pm

Kagalii wrote: P.S. I also noticed a pretty big increase in Spectral Cub activity on the US pet trading forum here, and while everyone claims their cub is legit I'd personally hold off on trading for now until this ordeal dies down and Blizzard finishes taking action. I don't wanna call out anyone specific, but you have to agree it's a bit weird how the duping coincided with the activity on WCP forums too. I'd bet not every cub being traded here is legit as everyone claims.
Thank you! I had noticed that too but didn't want to say anything as it felt like calling people out. I'm sure there are legit ones, but now is not a good time to find out.

Crazypants
Top Rater
Pet Score:12857
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Crazypants » July 13th, 2013, 2:53 pm

I remember when something similar happened in Cata with dupers selling vial of sands in bulk (and the ice king quest mount b4 that) below the cost of the vendor mats it took to make them. I asked a GM through a ticket if he could confirm the in game items from said toon i was considering purchasing with in game gold were lagit and he told me he couldn't but appreciated my diligence and told me to refer to this ticket if i ran into any issues with said items in the future.

I purchased one and never had an issue. If i did i considered my ticket like an insurance policy for any future appeals. Its a risk but you can take a few preemptive steps to minimize your risk if you do decide to gamble.

Laraven
Pet Score:7886
BattleTag®:LaRaven#1620
Realm:Korgath-us

Post by Laraven » July 13th, 2013, 4:30 pm

Saasan wrote:
Kagalii wrote: P.S. I also noticed a pretty big increase in Spectral Cub activity on the US pet trading forum here, and while everyone claims their cub is legit I'd personally hold off on trading for now until this ordeal dies down and Blizzard finishes taking action. I don't wanna call out anyone specific, but you have to agree it's a bit weird how the duping coincided with the activity on WCP forums too. I'd bet not every cub being traded here is legit as everyone claims.
Thank you! I had noticed that too but didn't want to say anything as it felt like calling people out. I'm sure there are legit ones, but now is not a good time to find out.
The one I recently traded was a lvl 25 that I have had for 2 years now. I wouldn't trade someone a pet if it had any risk of being taken away. Especially since this person traded me a pet worth serious money. I have been around this site for 4 years. Back before Battle pets.

I did however replace my prized Spectral Tiger Cub with one bought from Trade chat. I am willing to take the risk myself. I also would never buy them to resell for the same reason I stated above. It's hard for us players to determine what is a good deal or someone cheating. And while my moral sense is kicking my butt atm, I'm also very happy with my trade. :)

I remember this happening to the Crimson Chargers from ICC. I was given one as a birthday present. The chance of them being taken away with something like this is slim. But, it can and does happen! The larger issue is my prized pet is now owed by every other Tom, Dick and Harry. :(

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » July 13th, 2013, 4:54 pm

Laraven wrote:The chance of them being taken away with something like this is slim. But, it can and does happen!
For me this is the big issue. There's a relevant discussion about the duped Crimson Deathchargers here. But we don't know how battle pets work, in terms of whether they can determine if a pet in your journal came from a duped item. Are even if they could, it's not clear that they would remove them, as their stance in the past has been to punish the sellers, not the buyers. You should also take that thread with a grain of salt though, as GMs don't tend to be particularly knowledgeable about game policies in general.

If any significant number of the duped cubs are allowed to persist, it's going to impact the market for cubs basically forever. But it's impossible to know exactly how heavy-handed they'll be about deleting them, or if they even have the ability to tell a legit cub from a dupe. In a few months, cubs might end up being 50k or 200k depending on how Bliz handles the dupes. But they don't tend to publicly admit when duping happens, and they don't tend to be very clear about how they handle it. Ie we will never know exactly how many duped cubs are allowed to persist, so we'll never know the actual rarity of cubs ever again.

It would be great if somebody were to tweet Mumper about this -- ie are they aware of the lvl 6 duped cubs, and are they working on fixing it?

Tanuki
Pet Score:3982
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Tanuki » July 13th, 2013, 10:16 pm

Definitely on Zul'jin horde side. I saw someone selling in trade and looked and saw a few on the ah, and I bought the one in trade and there are still people spamming trade since. It's weird.. The one I did buy was level 25 too. I also bought the crimson deathcharger when they were cheap and plentiful and it was never taken away. Not sure how they can punish the honest people. I guess sort of like receiving stolen property.

BTW, I found this thread by searching if anyone else was noticing the influx of these cubs lately.

Mystical
Pet Score:6048
BattleTag®:Mystical#11881
Realm:Ragnaros-us

Post by Mystical » July 14th, 2013, 9:47 am

They are selling cubs for 75k in Illidan now >:<

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » July 14th, 2013, 11:46 am

Mystical wrote:They are selling cubs for 75k in Illidan now >:<
So in one weeks time they went from a 250k+ pet to 75k (and still dropping it seems). Nope there is nothing to see here and I am so glad Bizz hasn't said anything yet due to no knowledge of anything conspicuous happening /end sarcasm.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Mystical
Pet Score:6048
BattleTag®:Mystical#11881
Realm:Ragnaros-us

Post by Mystical » July 14th, 2013, 5:04 pm

I made a ticket on friday, and they finally answer it

[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/5g85.jpg/]Image[/url]

Uploaded with [url=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/url]

Poofah

Post by Poofah » July 14th, 2013, 5:09 pm

I wonder why they even bother to respond, when they obviously have no idea what the issue is.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » July 15th, 2013, 6:09 am

I don´t see how Blizzard could take it away if you bought it on the AH.

I have never seen one on Fenris.. if I wasn´t for this website I wouldn´t know if they are 3k or 250k normally. If one suddenly appears on our AH for 75k.. how in the world would an average player know that it is super cheap... most people would think it was crazy expensive when nothing else on Fenris goes for more than 10k.(we almost never see any TCG pets)

At worst you will get your money back. But I would definitely only buy from the AH

There are currently 8 on Ilidian.. down to 99k

Mushka
Top Rater
Pet Score:2899
BattleTag®:lanchop#1286
Realm:Quel'dorei-us

Post by Mushka » July 16th, 2013, 5:35 pm

i saw someone on thrall horde today selling it for 150k. so obvious lvl 1 toon, lvl 6 duped pet. think name was pyoxo or sum sht like that

Poofah

Post by Poofah » July 24th, 2013, 11:01 am

After dying down early last week, it seems like there's a new wave of these this morning. Multiple level 1 spammers with lvl 6 cubs in /trade, and AH prices are hovering around 100k but with too much competition to support that price for any length of time. Still no word from Blizzard, except this very vague statement -- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9485069172?page=1#20

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » July 24th, 2013, 12:30 pm

If you buy something from the AH, Blizzard won't be taking it away. If something shady went on, you bought it via a legitimate channel and were an innocent party. They don't penalize people if all they did was use the AH and got a deal. Many people wouldn't even think something is wrong -- sure, it might be obvious to the most avid pet collectors, but not really to your average WoW player. I don't even jump to "that must have been duped!" when I see good prices and/or multiples of rare items. Though that's probably because I'm very trusting.

Poofah

Post by Poofah » July 24th, 2013, 12:47 pm

Gilneas wrote:If you buy something from the AH, Blizzard won't be taking it away. If something shady went on, you bought it via a legitimate channel and were an innocent party. They don't penalize people if all they did was use the AH and got a deal.
Yes, that has been their policy in the past: they ban accounts with lots and lots of the suspicious item, but they leave everyone else alone, and they don't remove the suspicious items from legit accounts either (if you bought it on AH, if you bought it in /trade, doesn't matter). I am not suggesting that buying one of these will get you in trouble or that it might get taken away -- there is no evidence to support that idea.

The main reason for this thread is to share info and to make people aware that there is a large influx of level 6 cubs. The 'value' of a cub has been pretty steady at ~225k for the past couple patches (as much as the price can be steady for such a rare item). It's dropped more than 50% over the last month, and cubs are still flowing into the market, so there's no end in sight for the price drop yet. So whereas 'Spectral Cub for Soul-Trader' would have been a totally fair trade 2 months ago, today it's not even close.

All of this has happened with no word from Bliz. For that reason, I think this thread is necessary--so that people can make informed decisions when they see a Cub for a price that *would* have been an excellent deal 2 months ago.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » July 24th, 2013, 2:15 pm

There was a reported incident back in Cata where a guy had bought a large amount of duped gems (he didn't dupe them, he bought them to resell) and Bliz took away the gems and didn't refund his gold. When he questioned it he was told that he should've known better because the prices were too good to be true.

Not that this is exactly the same situation and it's unlikely someone who bought 1 cub would get in trouble, but it's a risk to consider if people are thinking it'd be a good idea to try and profit off this.

Imeagle
Pet Score:2847
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Imeagle » July 25th, 2013, 10:21 am

Just logged on Stormarage US and in the space of 5 minutes there were 5 lvl 1 alts trying to sell the Cub in Trade chat as well as several ppl selling the rare TCG mounts as well. Something is up.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » July 26th, 2013, 2:27 am

Imeagle wrote:Just logged on Stormarage US and in the space of 5 minutes there were 5 lvl 1 alts trying to sell the Cub in Trade chat as well as several ppl selling the rare TCG mounts as well. Something is up.
The mounts could be from the change in the TCG deck.

I don´t know if I should say this or not.. but the people trying to sell the lvl 6 cubs are idiots. If they fought one pet battle and got them up to like lvl 8... they would be selling a lot more of them. Having them at lvl 6 is just a red flag and probably costing them 50k gold per pet.

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » July 28th, 2013, 2:49 am

So I assume this is a US thing? I'm EU and haven't seen this behaviour (low level players selling spectral cubs) on any server I'm playing.
The only cub I've seen for sale is 250k but that's on a Full server. I don't mind though, since this is lowering the prices on Ebay. Just bought a cub for only 109 dollar. Less than a month ago, I bought one for close to $200.