5.4 PTR patch note

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Beardydan
Pet Score:5027
Realm:Doomhammer-eu
5.4 PTR patch note

Post by Beardydan » June 20th, 2013, 5:17 pm

Any Battle Pet that could be awarded from a Throne of Thunder boss on Raid Finder difficulty can now be won from a bonus roll, in addition to the standard bonus roll reward.
Does this mean ive wasted about 30 coins looking for pets when i could have been getting set peices?

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Re: 5.4 PTR patch note

Post by Poofah » June 20th, 2013, 5:19 pm

It sure sounds that way -- I've been doing the same.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » June 20th, 2013, 5:36 pm

I'm slightly confused as there have been reports of people winning a pet from ToT LFR on their bonus roll. It means they were either mistaken or this patch note isn't worded right/is wrong.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » June 20th, 2013, 7:22 pm

Perhaps specific pets were not working with the bonus role, while some where, and they are fixing that in 5.4.

Dunno.

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » June 20th, 2013, 7:40 pm

be won from a bonus roll, in addition to the standard bonus roll reward.
This is the typical confusing wording I've come to expect from programmers and engineers... but as I read it, you click your little icon, it rolls a bonus roll. Then in addition to that bonus roll it rolls another bonus roll only to check for pet. The changes being you can get it from the main bonus roll that usually rolls for your loot, as well as your roll for 'hey do I get a pet?'. That's the only interpretation of this very clumsy wording I can see that would change how it works now.

Because as Quintessence said, we have reports from people getting this from bonus rolls. As in, they got either gold + pet, or item + pet. That's how I understand the change, now you could get gold/item/pet + pet in the bonus roll, while before the roll was only gold/item + pet.

The other way it could possibly be would be if that what they call 'standard bonus roll reward' is the roll they do the once a week, if that's the 'roll for pet' they do on your first kill of the boss regardless of coin spending when you kill the boss. If that's what they mean then yeah, in that case we will have been wasting our coins... which doesn't explain how people have (according to them) gotten the pet from their bonus roll.
Last edited by Ishildur on June 20th, 2013, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shakesbeard
Top Rater
Pet Score:4734
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Shakesbeard » June 20th, 2013, 7:49 pm

Any Battle Pet that could be awarded from a Throne of Thunder boss on Raid Finder difficulty can now be won from a bonus roll, in addition to the standard bonus roll reward.
/facepalm
MADORAN__ <WCP> Shakesbeard
___________<LPL> Factotem
___________<PP> Orcane, Shrecksar, Remoo

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » June 20th, 2013, 7:54 pm

Just a wild guess... a shot in the dark...

But does anyone remember reading anything about a person winning the pet + a piece of gear from a bonus roll? If not, then perhaps this change was made so that you can win both at the same time when using a coin??

Ahhh, vague patch notes drive me crazy! :P
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ril » June 21st, 2013, 2:34 am

this could be, because the pets are a bonus loot and it seems kind of silly that it can take away a real item slot. (e.g. you use your bonus roll for that much needed upgrade and end up with a pet)

Gilneas
Top Rater

Post by Gilneas » June 21st, 2013, 7:58 am

Ril wrote:this could be, because the pets are a bonus loot and it seems kind of silly that it can take away a real item slot. (e.g. you use your bonus roll for that much needed upgrade and end up with a pet)
Currently when you get them, it is all ready in addition to whatever loot you did (or did not) win. I think people are reading too much into the wording. Its just saying you will be able to win them with coin rolls in LFR and they will be alongside any other loot that was a result of that coin roll.

I was thinking about it and I think maybe there is an explanation. It specifically says rolls in LFR. Why wouldn't they be allowing you to get them in normal? Well, I'm speculating that you all ready *can* get them from rolls in normal, but NOT LFR. So perhaps people saying they got them from bonus rolls, got them from normal. Only explanation I can think of other than maybe some of the pets were being awarded from bonus rolls and others weren't.

Of course, I suppose its also possible that people who said they got them from bonus rolls were mistaken. I know of 3-4 people in my guild that got them and all were on the original loot and not the bonus roll.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » June 21st, 2013, 10:37 am

Quintessence wrote:Ahhh, vague patch notes drive me crazy! :P
I don't think it's very vague, as much as I'd like to believe I hadn't spent all those Runes for nothing.
Gilneas wrote:Well, I'm speculating that you all ready *can* get them from rolls in normal, but NOT LFR. So perhaps people saying they got them from bonus rolls, got them from normal.
I think this is almost certainly the case. At least, I'm going to operate on this assumption until I see a screenshot of a pet coming from bonus role in LFR.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » June 21st, 2013, 1:43 pm

Poofah wrote:
Gilneas wrote:Well, I'm speculating that you all ready *can* get them from rolls in normal, but NOT LFR. So perhaps people saying they got them from bonus rolls, got them from normal.
I think this is almost certainly the case. At least, I'm going to operate on this assumption until I see a screenshot of a pet coming from bonus role in LFR.
We have reports of players receiving a pet from LFR, on a coin roll, on our own forums. So unless everyone is in on some massive troll/joke (or mistaken but I find it hard to believe that everyone was mistaken), I'm going to keep using my coins in LFR in hopes for a pet. My optimism just won't let me believe that I've been wasting my coins. >_<

Lolfixheal
Pet Score:11928
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Lolfixheal » June 21st, 2013, 5:06 pm

I've gotten 2 ToT pets, both from autoroll upon death of boss, never on a bonusroll. This change sounds like they are going to add in an extra autoroll if you use a coin. So ye you can end up with 2 pets from one bosskill in theory. I guess they want more people to get these pets, expect prices to drop on AHs :(

Still doesn't fix the shitty droprate on Viscious Horror ^

Gilneas
Top Rater

Post by Gilneas » June 21st, 2013, 5:20 pm

This change sounds like they are going to add in an extra autoroll if you use a coin. So ye you can end up with 2 pets from one bosskill in theory
That is not what it says at all. You don't get 2 bonus rolls. Just the one per kill, which can have the pet alongside whatever other loot.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » June 25th, 2013, 12:54 am

The way I originally read this in the patch notes (which could be way wrong, but it seems to be as good as any explanation) was that any pet that is normally only rewarded from a boss in Raid Finder can be won with a bonus roll on any difficulty. As far as I know, this only specifically applies to Living Sandling (it drops from trash in normal/heroic and the Council of Elders in Raid Finder) and Living Fluid (which only drops from the Raid Finder difficulty of Primordius). I figured this was how they were going to address concerns that the Living Fluid would become more rare as ToT Raid Finder is run less in 5.4 and almost completely non-existent once the next expansion is released. This way you could still get it from normal or heroic, but only from a bonus roll.

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » June 25th, 2013, 3:46 am

It doesn't specify it's a bonus roll on that boss.

Perhaps they're expanding the pets to drop from any bonus roll?

I'm a little miffed if they switched pets 'off' on bonus rolls and didn't tell us, I've used Mogu runes on them every week on three level 90s and not seen a single pet drop yet. I know I'll end up shelling out o nthe AH but that's no fun!

I know I should make a twitter account and do it myself, but I'll ask here anyway: Can anyone on twitter ask Mumper for a clarification here? He's most likely to give a useful response!

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » June 25th, 2013, 7:11 am

"ANY pet awarded from a ToT boss in LFR can NOW be won from a bonus roll in addition to a standard bonus roll reward."

That says to me that any LFR pet can be won on ANY bonus roll in all of ToT LFR.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Gilneas
Top Rater

Post by Gilneas » June 25th, 2013, 12:43 pm

Dragonwizard wrote:
"ANY pet awarded from a ToT boss in LFR can NOW be won from a bonus roll in addition to a standard bonus roll reward."

That says to me that any LFR pet can be won on ANY bonus roll in all of ToT LFR.
Reading things that aren't there. All its saying is you can get pets from the bonus rolls and not just the boss kill loot.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » June 25th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Got some clarification from [url=https://twitter.com/mumper/status/349668393663729665]Mumper on Twitter[/url]. I'm flabbergasted.

"They don't drop from bonus rolls currently. They will in 5.4 and they are setup to specifically not override loot."

So I guess everyone that reported they won a pet on a bonus roll, they were mistaken and got the pet another way (first loot of the week, opening a failbag, etc.).

I guess I'll stop using my coins on LFR bosses now. Or not. Ugh, I can't help that tiny part of me that's hoping that maybe Mumper is the one who's mistaken and bonus rolls can yield a pet right now. >_<

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » June 25th, 2013, 7:55 pm

I look forward to reading about your flabbergastedness on PnP, Quint.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » June 26th, 2013, 2:19 am

Jadax wrote:I look forward to reading about your flabbergastedness on PnP, Quint.
Haha, I'm not sure there's much to say about this situation, though. :P

It's definitely a pet peeve since they didn't make it clear sooner. Many of us probably "wasted" many coins trying for the pets in LFR, and it's a bit irritating. But what's done is done, and at least Blizzard's making a pet drop from a bonus roll possible in 5.4. Would be really infuriating had they stuck with the "no chance for a pet on a bonus roll" idea.

Sidenote: Wishful thinking that on top of bonus rolls, they'll increase the droprate on the pets since we're heading into the next tier of this expansion? :P