Share pet collecting news and advice.
Livingdeath
Top Rater
Pet Score:3525
BattleTag®:Doctor#1657
Realm:Lightninghoof-us
Viscous Horror

Post by Livingdeath » June 18th, 2013, 4:12 am

I kind of hate the Viscous Horror mainly because of the sheer difficulty in acquiring it. I think most people here feel the same way. [pet]Clock'em[/pet] used to be the pet I was stalling in getting, but now that title goes to this pet.

"Least likely to acquire anytime soon"

I haven't seen this on my home server (which is quite dead) and even on high population servers, I think I once saw one on Illidan for a ridiculous amount. Has anyone else had a problem finding this pet, even on the AH?

Index
Pet Score:12739
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-eu

Re: Viscous Horror

Post by Index » June 18th, 2013, 4:39 am

Yes, I 'm regularly searching around 15 high pop realms, and am yet to see even one. I know when they do start to filter through, they'll be massively overpriced as well :(

This is one of the pets listed in my 5.3 peeves post, and the only one that's proving to be annoying to get!

Adashiel
MVP
Pet Score:3297
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Adashiel » June 18th, 2013, 9:48 am

I'm on one of the larger servers and it only appears about once a week. It's been going for 80-100k, though. I thought about buying it, but since I'm saving up to buy DPS gear so I can get Clock 'Em, I decided against it. I figure it will start popping up on the AH more often in a month or so.

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » June 18th, 2013, 10:12 am

Running ToT will become far easier to run next patch, and by the next expansion it will be trivial.

This is not the first time a pet has been difficult to get following release, and it won't be the last.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » June 18th, 2013, 10:27 am

Undermine Journal is a good way to try locating one. But yes, they tend to be extremely overpriced. In the end I aquired mine by aquiring a Tuskarr kite which someone in eu trade was looking for.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » June 18th, 2013, 12:57 pm

Jadax wrote:Running ToT will become far easier to run next patch, and by the next expansion it will be trivial.
While this is true, running ToT will also become irrelevant for getting gear, and a lot of the raidgroups that are running it now will stop. The supply is definitely not going to become a lot higher in 5.4. I think the big question is where are we in the demand curve? My guess is that so far, very few of the Horrors that have dropped have made their way to the AH, because they've stayed in the hands of the raiders. Once the pet-collecting-raiders have been satisfied, then Horrors will start to hit the market. But I have no idea when that will happen, because I have no idea how large the pet-collecting-raiders demographic is compared to the drop rate of Horrors. I just hope it happens prior to 5.4, because otherwise the number of Horrors available to non-raiders could remain very low (until we can solo ToT, of course).
Luciandk wrote:But yes, they tend to be extremely overpriced.
They are high-priced, yes. But overpriced? I don't think we know what the 'right' price is yet, because very few have been sold. From [url=https://theunderminejournal.com/battlepet.php?realm=H-Illidan&species=1244]Undermine Journal[/url] (scroll down to the 'Other US Markets' graph), the price is all over the place, with very low numbers.

*edit* Just to follow up on the last point: I know that the usual pattern for this type of instance-dropped pet is for the price to trend sharply downward over time, so it's understandable to think that the current price is overpriced. But if the droprate is low enough and the instance isn't easily soloed next xpac, then it might not follow the pattern of past instance drops.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » June 18th, 2013, 1:21 pm

On the other hand, Living Fluid should become quite rare and rise in value, due to it being -very- hard to run tot lfr come next expack. Just like how we cant run DS lfr at 90.

Supply will actually run out!

Whereas I expect we will see normal pug groups for tot for the meta ach, just like its happening for cataclysm raids. Which will ensure a supply of Viscous Horror pets.

Poofah

Post by Poofah » June 18th, 2013, 1:35 pm

lfr is different than normal mode, because with all the alts we should be able to keep running ToT lfr every week until next xpac if we want. So there might be quite a lot of Fluids available by the end of MoP, which would keep demand satisfied for a while. But you are definitely right: once the next xpac hits, the supply of new Fluids will essentially stop. As they find their way into collections, the supply could easily dry up like it does for TCG pets. We'll just have to see whether that initial supply is big (e.g. Purple Puffer) or small (e.g. Spectral Tiger Cub). My guess is that it'll be on big side, but it's hard to predict.

Dash
BattleTag®:mab#2803

Post by Dash » June 18th, 2013, 3:20 pm

I've stopped trying to find a trade, I reckon if a pet lover has found one, s/he'll keep it for her/himself, and even though I have a fe w rare-ish pets to offer in exchange, it probably won't be enough anyway if they want to trade it. I could easily shell out 100k (at least on my main server), but as a proverbial penny-pincher, am I willing to? :p
Anyway, as people have said, it'll be much easier to run ToT in the future as you always find groups of people willing to go achivements or mog gear hunting, and in this case, pet hunting :p .

As for pets that drop only in LFR, Blizz will probably relocate them elsewhere, like they did with the blue drake (the mount you would (hopefully) catch after running Occulus through LFD)

Jadax
Top Rater

Post by Jadax » June 18th, 2013, 3:36 pm

Poofah wrote:
Jadax wrote:Running ToT will become far easier to run next patch, and by the next expansion it will be trivial.
While this is true, running ToT will also become irrelevant for getting gear, and a lot of the raidgroups that are running it now will stop. The supply is definitely not going to become a lot higher in 5.4. I think the big question is where are we in the demand curve? My guess is that so far, very few of the Horrors that have dropped have made their way to the AH, because they've stayed in the hands of the raiders. Once the pet-collecting-raiders have been satisfied, then Horrors will start to hit the market. But I have no idea when that will happen, because I have no idea how large the pet-collecting-raiders demographic is compared to the drop rate of Horrors. I just hope it happens prior to 5.4, because otherwise the number of Horrors available to non-raiders could remain very low (until we can solo ToT, of course).
I'm not talking about "supply". I'm talking about running it yourself. There will always be people still looking to run ToT, just as there are still people running DS, or even FL, every week.
RealID invites make it easy to put a group together through OpenRaid, and Virtual Realms will probably make it easier still.

The problem people have is not that the pet is impossible to get - merely that it is very hard to get right now. My feelIng is that many people have forgotten how to wait for pets that they can't acquire immediately.

Nivrax
Pet Score:2635
Realm:Defias Brotherhood-eu

Post by Nivrax » June 18th, 2013, 3:53 pm

Jadax wrote:
Poofah wrote:
The problem people have is not that the pet is impossible to get - merely that it is very hard to get right now. My feelIng is that many people have forgotten how to wait for pets that they can't acquire immediately.
The problem with that is that this is not a mount, it's a freaking MINIPET. It have so small drop chance, and is valuable only to minority of players. Primordius is eight boss in raid, I don't see any way to solo all of them next expansion, especially Durumu which will just stun you and heal himself. There isn't even a way to make a run because no one will be interested enough, there is no carrot there, only bosses that drop mounts are Horridon and Jikun.

In the end, you would need a group of players who would probably only go for this pet, a 1% chance drop, once a week, that will still need to /roll on it. A pet that is rarer than Invincible, it's just ridiculous. If they continue increasing how hard is to obtain pets, you can bet next expansion you will see crafted pets requiring 100k+ gold to make and Time Lost Proto Whelp with respawn timer of few days. Have fun turning a semi-casual minigame into hardcore endless time sink, more than it enough is.

Luciandk

Post by Luciandk » June 18th, 2013, 4:27 pm

My guild have seen one Viscous Horror drop, and as it was a rare quality pet. The tank looted it and kept it and the GM let him keep it. So make -sure- you keep at least rare quality limit on pet runs, or the tank may be able to ninja it.

But ever after that incident, we have run with rare loot level instead of epic as usual.

Poofah

Post by Poofah » June 18th, 2013, 5:06 pm

Jadax wrote:I'm not talking about "supply". I'm talking about running it yourself.
It's BoE, so these are not really different. If you get it to drop in a raid, you've added 1 to the supply: it doesn't really matter if you keep it or sell it, because either way you're satisfying exactly 1 person's demand for 1 Horror.
Jadax wrote:There will always be people still looking to run ToT, just as there are still people running DS, or even FL, every week.
Maybe. Rag drops a mount; Deathwing drops a mount. Lei Shen doesn't. It's hard to see what incentive people will have to run ToT once the gear is irrelevant, unless they're also going for the Horror. And again, it's BoE: it's not like anybody is going to pass on it anyway, since they can turn it into a chunk of gold.
Jadax wrote:The problem people have is not that the pet is impossible to get - merely that it is very hard to get right now.
I think this is the main point. You are assuming that it will become easier to get than it is now. I think that isn't true. It will certainly get easier to complete normal mode ToT from a gameplay point of view, but it's still a 1 week lockout and a very low drop rate, and you have to get X other people into the instance (and compete with them for the Horror). Currently there is a significant contribution to supply from people who run ToT for gear, and get Horrors as a bonus, and that will dry up rapidly after 5.4.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » June 18th, 2013, 5:30 pm

I saw maybe 2 or 3 for sale on Illidan weeks ago and haven't seen one since. So this really is looking like a difficult pet to acquire. My raid group is thankfully 12/12 but will completely stop doing ToT as soon as 5.4 hits, so if it doesn't drop for us in the weeks to come, I likely won't get one. I guess the only plus is that several members of my raid group have promised to give me any pets that they win the roll on, but if nothing drops then that won't help either.

Jadax
Top Rater

Post by Jadax » June 18th, 2013, 7:49 pm

Poofah wrote:
Jadax wrote:There will always be people still looking to run ToT, just as there are still people running DS, or even FL, every week.
Maybe. Rag drops a mount; Deathwing drops a mount. Lei Shen doesn't. It's hard to see what incentive people will have to run ToT once the gear is irrelevant, unless they're also going for the Horror. And again, it's BoE: it's not like anybody is going to pass on it anyway, since they can turn it into a chunk of gold.
Achievement runs, gearing alts, transmog, repeating the legendary quests on alts, valor. There will be plenty of people still running ToT until 6.0, and many still doing so after.

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » June 19th, 2013, 1:17 pm

Poofah wrote:until we can solo ToT, of course.
At some point in time we should be able to solo ToT, but I don't expect that to be possible until after the 6th expansion. And that's about 5 years from now. I play this game for about 1,5 years and have no idea if I'm still interested.
Oh well, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. There are more than enough pets I will never have so that's just +1 to that list.

Grifter
Pet Score:2869
Realm:Blackhand-eu

Post by Grifter » July 1st, 2013, 1:15 am

After reading all this I fear I should have bought the one that was offered in our AH for 50k gold two weeks or so ago. :(

Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ril » July 1st, 2013, 4:22 am

hmmm. all raid drops are quite frustrating. i haven't seen a single pet in lfr, and of course never won a single sandling that dropped off trash in heroic tot. my raid has been farming all pet bosses on heroic since 5.3 (bar animus, this one died two weeks ago), and no pet ever dropped. yes in other words, out of all pets that have been out since 5.2 and 5.3, which i've been farming about every week on heroic, twice in case of the lfr drops, i don't have a single one. imho there's something wrong.

i'm fine with not having all of them, but doing the content on it's hardest mode should be awarded with higher drop rates. i'm even in favor for having them attached to the achievement; that would help those who can't do it now and have to catch up: build a decent farm group once and be done with it.

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » July 1st, 2013, 11:49 am

Actually, any of the pets that require "special" drops have been pretty unavailable from my perspective. The retro raid pets never seem to drop; daily fishing with special lures, hat and Kaluak pole has yielded not even one carp pet. I am essentially giving up on farming the raid pets and carps, and looking for ways to make gold so I can buy them on AH from the people who have better luck with RNG. :|

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » July 1st, 2013, 12:04 pm

I agree that heroic mode kills should have a much higher or even a guaranteed drop rate. That would help make them accessible just by upping the number of pets available while still keeping them somewhat rare, which seems to be part of the intent with the horror.

The other problem I have with all this that the pet came out in 5.3. ToT opened in 5.2. That means players got shafted weeks or months worth of opportunities to get Primordius to drop the pet. I don't know why they'd decide to put in a pet late, that would be so much harder to obtain than the others.