If Blizzard Added A Method For Promo Pets...

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us
Re: If Blizzard Added A Method For Promo Pets...

Post by Poofah » June 17th, 2013, 5:50 pm

I feel like it's ok for exclusive pets to stay exclusive. For example I decided not to get the WotLK collector's edition, then I started collecting pets partway through WotLK (and Frosty is one of my favorite pet models too). I would absolutely love to have a Frosty, but I made the decision not to get it. The secondary market value is $100+ now, so I don't see how they could reasonably put it on the pet store or let us acquire it ingame without alienating all the people who got it previously.

*However*, when they added pet battles, it created a bit of a problem. Because the Frosty I decided not to get years ago acquired new functionality when MoP launched: I decided not to pay extra to get the little pixelated frostwhelp, but I didn't know that he'd have a neat unique moveset in an as-yet-unimplemented feature.

This issue isn't as severe as it could be, because most of the really exclusive pets are not pet battle powerhouses (imagine if Direhorn Runt or Kun-Lai Runt were an old CE pet! I think the worst offenders currently are Spectral Tiger Cub who has a unique role in a Darkness team, and Mini-Thor who is the best minefield pet). However, for the sake of balancing pet battles, I think they should make every moveset available on at least one ingame-available pet. It seems they're taking a step toward this with the Lil Xuen pet--assuming he stays the same as on PTR, he has the same moveset as Spectral Tiger Cub.

Livingdeath
Top Rater
Pet Score:3525
BattleTag®:Doctor#1657
Realm:Lightninghoof-us

Post by Livingdeath » July 8th, 2013, 3:49 am

I think if there is an argument, it comes down to rarity. Some people just don't want others to have access to the same pets they have obtained from CEs or Blizzcon. I get it, it's about bragging rights, but in the end I personally don't mind people being able to get those pets eventually. And I have most of those rare pets. Because someone having a Dragon Kite or a Soul Trader doesn't personally diminish my enjoyment of having those pets.

Companion pets were around for a long time, but served no real functionality until the last year. When pets like the older CEs and Blizzcons were around, no one could have known they would get more popular now through the new features. I don't feel people should be punished because they didn't have that foresight or financial capability. That's just as bad as the region specific pets.

Financially it doesn't make sense to allow people on auction sites to benefit from Blizzard's work. The Blizzcon and Digital CE version of the pets should be sold in the Blizzard Store. The in game event pets should be made available through alternative in-game options for people who missed them. WoW TCG pets should continue to be obtainable the way they are right now.

I honestly feel that every pet in the pet journal is a pet that any person can obtain in some way regardless of region. I am not talking clones. I'm talking the actual unique pets. Everyone should be capable of being on the same footing.

I could be wrong but didn't Mumper tweet that they were looking to make some of the promotional pets available again?

Avalee
Pet Score:6870
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Avalee » July 8th, 2013, 5:52 am

I paid 150 euros for my spectral cub and would feel ripped off if it would appear for 10 in the Blizzard store. I wouldn't mind however if it would be for sale in the Black Market for let's say, 150.000 gold and only have it for sale once a week or so.
That way, this pet would be fairly possible to obtain for anyone and still would feel special.

Corah
Pet Score:13318
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Corah » July 8th, 2013, 1:07 pm

I would like to see the old promo pets be cageable... I have several vampiric batlings that I'm holding on to.

Mizix
Top Rater
Pet Score:7887
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Mizix » July 8th, 2013, 3:15 pm

Personally, I would like to see recoloured/renamed version of some old and extremly rare (read: expensive on eBay) pets.

First that comes in mind: Murky! It is not normal, in my opinion, that a pet sells for over 2000 dollars on eBay... it's a pet, c'mon! Blizzard should not accept that, it feels kinda wrong. I know there are other Murloc-like pets, but they also come from outside the game and it would be great if we could get an IN GAME source for all those pets.

I wouldn't mind if they were very hard to obtain (hard, not random-boring-ethernal camping), as long as I can do it in game. It's not like I never spent money for pets from the store, but they usually cost 10 euros and sometimes go to charity, I cannot and a will not pay 100 or 1000 euros on eBay 'tho.

And I dont care if special snowflakes ain't special anymore... many things that once where special today are not, I don't see why pets can't too =)

Livingdeath
Top Rater
Pet Score:3525
BattleTag®:Doctor#1657
Realm:Lightninghoof-us

Post by Livingdeath » July 8th, 2013, 9:33 pm

Avalee wrote:I paid 150 euros for my spectral cub and would feel ripped off if it would appear for 10 in the Blizzard store. I wouldn't mind however if it would be for sale in the Black Market for let's say, 150.000 gold and only have it for sale once a week or so.
That way, this pet would be fairly possible to obtain for anyone and still would feel special.
I don't think WoW TCG pets will appear at the Blizzard store. Those loot card pets keep the WoW TCG profitable and as a business, it just makes sense to keep that revenue coming in the way it is. I do agree that I like seeing some of that stuff on the BMAH, because it's not too frequent and it tends to go for the same market value from gold to RL cash. I also like that they are likely to be re-releasing some old pets in the next deck because it gives people a chance to get cards that aren't that common these days.
Mizix wrote:Personally, I would like to see recoloured/renamed version of some old and extremly rare (read: expensive on eBay) pets.

First that comes in mind: Murky! It is not normal, in my opinion, that a pet sells for over 2000 dollars on eBay... it's a pet, c'mon! Blizzard should not accept that, it feels kinda wrong. I know there are other Murloc-like pets, but they also come from outside the game and it would be great if we could get an IN GAME source for all those pets.
I really don't want reskins. Well I want reskins, but I also want the originals too, lol. I don't understand why Blizzard doesn't do the digital CE thing because it would be a lot of money for them and would take it out of these eBayers hands. The amount of money for Murky, Tyrael, or the Vanilla CE pets is obscene. And none of it goes into Blizzard's hands (or does it?! Bump, Bump, Bump! Insert Conspiracy Theory of Mumper selling Vanilla CEs and Murky codes on eBay.).