Raiding with Leashes II: worst drop rate ever?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Malibu12s
MVP
Pet Score:3491
BattleTag®:MaxVanquish#1244
Realm:Baelgun-us
Re: Raiding with Leashes II: worst drop rate ever?

Post by Malibu12s » June 5th, 2013, 9:00 pm

Jadax wrote:Ok, please, please do not abbreviate Big Bad Wolf to BBW...

It has... connotations.
Thats funny right there!

Anyway, this is so frustrating I feel myself losing interest in pet battles and wow all together. Let me preface by saying I'm a patient man. I understand drop rates and will hunt a rare for months as I did with the Scourged Whelpling and Minfernal. The other thing to note is that I only have one level 90 toon. I've been working on others but the grind is so amazingly boring that leveling another toon often times feels like pulling teeth. (Especially if you're next highest is in the 70 range and has to run crappy quests in Borean Tundra).

Two days I spent farming the Filthling only to find out, whoops it was bugged and didnt drop for anyone. I finally got one, and a spare to trade.

I spent the time to get the crap i needed for the weekly quest so I could get Gaz'roki (or how ever you spell it. I named him Larry Curly Moe, just felt right. I have an extra of this to trade as well if anyone is interested in skipping this grind.

Now, to the crux of my frustration..... I've soloed these three BC raids since the new pets arrived. I have soloed every boss (Lady Vash'j giving me the most trouble the first few times through.) each week. Know how many pets I've collected? 1. That's right. ONE. I've done that stupid chess event over and over and over and over... with each loss the frustration goes. I finally win and head up to the final boss thinking this is it, it has to be this week. Nope, it never is.

I've only gotten the little red riding hood event once. No pet. For those of you looking to solo the chess event, it is more about luck than it is strategy. I tried a lot of the strats found here and on wow forums one will work one week but the same strat wont work the next. It is really just luck of the draw. Keep at it though, you will win eventually. It is annoying that in an event like this, where time is of the essence, I have to cancel out of the character I'm in, run back over and click on the guy twice before I get the option to control him. Bad blizzard.... someone should put you in time out for that.

So 4 weeks in and the only pet I've gotten to drop from these raids is one Lesser Voidcaller.

On a side note, My luck is horrible across the board. I still have no darkmoon eye despite doing the daily every day that the faire is here since Jeremy Feasel was introduced. And still no Darkmoon rabbit. I expect I'll never get the latter since they've now introduced CRZ to DMF without upping his respawn rate (this might not be true, I read it on the internet so....).

So 20 new pets in this last patch and all i've been able to get in 4 weeks is 3 new pets. Hell, I'm still looking for the Raid pets they introduced in 5.2 - Son of Animus, Ji'Kun Hatchling, and living sandling (Or whatever it is called, although this one have due to the fine community members here on these boards I was able to trade a Spectral Porcupette for him. On that note, I have a couple extra new pets--filthling, and the three headed lizard with the silly name--available for trade if anyone is so inclined. Obviously, I'll take ANY of the new raid pets in exchange.)

So... to everyone else on this thread, I feel your pain. It sucks we have to go through this. It really isn't fun. I wish you the best of luck my fellow hunters. May the RNG gods reward your persistence, and soon!

Ebil
Pet Score:11957
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Ebil » June 5th, 2013, 9:32 pm

You have gotten pretty lucky with the filthling pet that is not a farm I am looking forward to. As for this round of dungeon pets SSC is a pain I wish I would be done with it but I have only seen one pet drop from the place.

Warlock
Top Rater
Pet Score:4667
Realm:Bloodhoof-us

Post by Warlock » June 5th, 2013, 10:30 pm

Well someone had the Phoenix Hawk on AH for a decent price so I just bought that. Which leaves me with SSC, the crappiest ones :P

Velaxis
Top Rater
Pet Score:9599
BattleTag®:Velaxis#2751
Realm:Nordrassil-eu

Post by Velaxis » June 5th, 2013, 11:16 pm

For me and guild mates (perhaps we weirdly share some kind of luck) we've found this with the new pets:

Kara seems to have the best drop rate. Some of us are finished with that raid.
Tempest Keep seems next best drop rate, although the phoenix pet seems the most elusive.
SSC so far has been the worst. Few of us have more than one, and several have no pets at all from this raid. I was lucky to get the Lady Vashj one, but after that one bit of luck no others have dropped since.

Maybe this drop rate will be different for others. So far, I don't find it worse than the original raid pet achievement, because I had a right job getting some of those, and with a couple had to just buy them. The new achievement seems about the same to me - occasional runs of luck, with some drop rates appearing better than others.

Incidentally, I haven't seen any posts about the Qiraji Guardling recently, and wasn't that pet supposed to appear at the beginning of June? I have a toon based outside AQ to check, but not seen any yet, and there's no big influx of players to indicate it might be around. Anyone heard anything?

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » June 6th, 2013, 7:27 am

Velaxis wrote:Incidentally, I haven't seen any posts about the Qiraji Guardling recently, and wasn't that pet supposed to appear at the beginning of June? I have a toon based outside AQ to check, but not seen any yet, and there's no big influx of players to indicate it might be around. Anyone heard anything?

It was confirmed by a Mumper Tweet that it will be availible on June 21st.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Ackbah
MVP
Pet Score:3209
BattleTag®:Ackbah#1648

Post by Ackbah » June 6th, 2013, 5:11 pm

I am a one level 90 guy myself. After running all 3 new raids with only one pet dropping (Imp) I took a different route, I farmed Filthlings and Direhorn Runts and traded like a madman. I was done with RWL2 pretty quickly. Got is got in my book Hihi Tito!!

I will keep running these raids for the pets even though the value of most of them is plummeting, only the Coilfang Stryker seems to be maintaining any real value. I wonder why? The RWL1 pets maintained their values far longer then these 5.3 pets, the Anub Idol still fetches a decent price.

On a side note....HIHI Ashes of Alar !! Yha bouyeeee....there are too few moments anymore in WoW that have that...well...that wow factor, getting that guy Tuesday night was one of them. Im glad Blizz steered me towards doing something that I gave up on a long while ago.

So now I ride of into the sunset with that annoying yellow and pink stuff that shoots out of AoA's ass blocking my vision !!

Ack )

Cat666
Pet Score:7533
Realm:Saurfang-eu

Post by Cat666 » June 14th, 2013, 7:05 am

I've been seriously unlucky.

4 weeks, 3 pets, all of the the Lil Bad Wolf.

On the upside i finally completed RWL1

Abyl1
Pet Score:4019
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Abyl1 » June 14th, 2013, 8:43 am

Malibu - I had great luck last night and had a 2nd big bad wolf drop for me. I would love to skip the grind for the gahz'roki if you'd like to trade?

(had to edit, I thought the filthling was the one you mentioned as having an extra of!)

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » June 14th, 2013, 9:40 am

Done this each week on two toons, had mixed luck.

First week only got the Abyssal.

Second week got me Lil Bad Wolf and Tainted Wavling

Third week only Tideskipper.

A friend traded me the Phoenix Hatchling (for a Filthling I'd farmed) and I went out and bought the Imp. I'm hoping this week will bring some luck in TK!

Demoiselle
Pet Score:2013
Realm:Windrunner-us

Post by Demoiselle » June 14th, 2013, 1:56 pm

When I get irritated/frustrated with the grind, I take a break. I don't let myself feel obligated to run the old raids every week. When I'm in a good mood, I find it fun and relaxing to run around in the dungeons & one-shot everything, so I wait for that mood.

I've had decent luck with the Kara drops. I've got the Netherspace Abyssal, the Imp, the Lil Bad Wolf. Still need the custodian.

And middling luck with the other two dungeons. I got the Tideskipper on my first try, which was fun. I don't bother with Lady Vashj because, with the time & frustration involved, I'd rather buy the pet on the AH. Same with Chrominius. I did Blackwing Lair until I was sick of it, but Chrominius hadn't dropped yet. Problem solved on AH, frustration gone.

And I got the phonenix hatchling in Tempest Keep, but no luck with the other two.

Daladani
Pet Score:1961
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Daladani » June 15th, 2013, 2:13 pm

Data from wowdb shows the first set of pets having a drop rate around 28-30%, with the second set having a drop rate around 9% (save the wolf with a drop rate of 28% to account for the low chance of getting the event in the first place).

So yes, the rate is much lower with the second set.

Ethlin
Pet Score:3672
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Ethlin » June 15th, 2013, 4:29 pm

I killed Morogrim roughly 15 times across all my characters and it has yet to drop, so it's not you alone having issues with it.

Malibu12s
MVP
Pet Score:3491
BattleTag®:MaxVanquish#1244
Realm:Baelgun-us

Post by Malibu12s » June 17th, 2013, 2:11 pm

Abyl1 wrote:Malibu - I had great luck last night and had a 2nd big bad wolf drop for me. I would love to skip the grind for the gahz'roki if you'd like to trade?

(had to edit, I thought the filthling was the one you mentioned as having an extra of!)
If you are still interested in this... I'm down. Let's trade.

So, I sent a ticket in to blizzard asking if I was just that unlucky or if something was bugged. They replied and said basically, I'm just unlucky.

Coincidentally, the very next week I run all three raids and 5 pets drop for me. WOW. So, 4 weeks 1 pet, complain, next week 5 pets drop. Interesting how that works.

I got the blossoming Ancient yesterday and leveled him a little. Interesting he's wearing his "Summer" skin, yet the "Summer" pet doesn't spawn till the 21st? Yeah, THAT's not confusing at all.

Edit: So I also have an extra custodian for trade. I bought one on the AH thinking they'll never drop for me and of course the first pet of the five that dropped that week was a custodian. Figures... lol.

Tatra
Pet Score:4589

Post by Tatra » June 17th, 2013, 4:00 pm

finally after many pet runs per week i think i do seven a week just to get the achievement. running with a friend the last pet drops, which he lets me take WOOT. anyways got my tito and was happy about it. the only thing i was sad about was i did have to spend money on a few pets then after purchasing the next week they dropped. such is life :(. the drop rate is horrible with these new pets and i will probably never ever see a living fluid drop for me. last week just got son of animus and TOT has been out how long sigh

Britty
Pet Score:5582
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Britty » June 18th, 2013, 4:16 am

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but it seems that the drop rate on Lady Vashj's pet is insanely lower than the rest of the pets on wowhead.

And by insanely lower, I mean only 28 were recorded as drops compared to 300+ for the other pets. As of this post, there is 6999 kills of her.((I am pretty sure this also includes kills before the pet was even added, but it's still good too watch for I guess)) I'm not sure if it's just not as many people soloing her compared to the other bosses(she is definitely the hardest) or if it really is that pitiful of a drop rate compared to the others.

Gromagrim

Post by Gromagrim » June 18th, 2013, 4:41 am

Britty wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but it seems that the drop rate on Lady Vashj's pet is insanely lower than the rest of the pets on wowhead.

And by insanely lower, I mean only 28 were recorded as drops compared to 300+ for the other pets. As of this post, there is 6999 kills of her.((I am pretty sure this also includes kills before the pet was even added, but it's still good too watch for I guess)) I'm not sure if it's just not as many people soloing her compared to the other bosses(she is definitely the hardest) or if it really is that pitiful of a drop rate compared to the others.
Hello Britty the Cinder Kitty,

I think you have to ignore the drop rate, as it does factor in all the previous kills. I also don't think that comparing the hard numbers of pets dropped helps, as far fewer people will attempt Vashj than Hydross (for example) as the fight is known to be complicated. (e.g., I skip Vashj on my newly levelled DK, but kill all the other 'pet' bosses in Kara, TK and SSC)

I'm afraid there's currently no way of getting an accurate drop % on any of the pets, untill wowhead makes it possible to record kills by date.

In related news, I finally got the strider to drop last night for my main! Only Custodian to go now. So tempted to buy from AH! :p

Gromagrim

Post by Gromagrim » June 18th, 2013, 10:42 am

And one Karazhan nets me a Lil Bad Wolf, Fiendish Imp AND Menagerie Custodian! achievement done, with all pets actually dropped!

Guess my luck was just building up :D

Now need to get the correct breeds... XD

Draconigena
Top Rater
Pet Score:9081
Realm:Turalyon-eu

Post by Draconigena » July 22nd, 2013, 7:11 am

Probably gonna get flamed for necroing, but this still was and is the best topic to reply, so I'll go ahead anyway:)

Got 1 character only and been doing TK, SSC and Kara every week, so that is 8 tries total so far.

I am at 9/10 so far, and still needing the Vashj pet.
out of these, I bought 3 pets, and traded one double.
these 4 pets I have not seen drop so far.
So basically that is 5 different pets I saw drop.

lil bad wolf : 3 drops
Fiendish imp : 2 drops (swapped one for the tidewalker)
tainted waveling: 2 drops
pocket reaver: 1 drop
phoenix hawk hatchling: 1 drop so far.

Netherspace abyssal, Lesser voidcaller, menagerie custodian: bought on AH (quite cheap even)

I think I am crazy because I am considering to grind an extra set for my GF who is pregnant and who hasn't been able to play much because of that...
I hope to get my own set complete by the time 5.4 hits. I am starting to get really pissed at Blizzard right now... And they still wonder why they lose so many subs... why oh why...

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » July 22nd, 2013, 1:07 pm

Most literature on behavioral modification suggests that intermittant positive reinforcement has the most impact on creating desired behaviors. However, it seems that the "intermittant" in Blizzard's drop rates may be a bit too infrequent for some of us. I see that a number of people have had good luck, and even get repeat drops for certain pets. For me, unfortunately, the drop rates have been disincentivizing. I gave up on farming certain pets, and I am now concentrating on raising enough gold to hit the auction house. I do imagine that Blizzard has a team of behavioral psychologists calculating ideal drop rates..."Gamification" is a major field of study these days. However, if subscriptions are dropping, there may be some recalculation needed! (BTW, I am getting bored with the endless dailies and fruitless runs for gear to sell)

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » July 22nd, 2013, 8:48 pm

The one that took forever for me was the Custodian. I had 3 characters that I ran through Kara every week for 6 weeks before I got him. I ended up buying the Stalker from Vashj but that mainly because the fight was annoying and it took me a several weeks before I started killing him with even one character.