Chess Event Strategy in One JPG

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us
Re: Chess Event Strategy in One JPG

Post by Maizing » May 23rd, 2013, 10:41 am

I'm confused... in the chess event, can the rook move diagonally? Because in normal chess, the rook can only move straight (either straight forward or side to side).

Chrth
Pet Score:5078
BattleTag®:Chrth#1939
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Chrth » May 23rd, 2013, 10:48 am

Maizing wrote:I'm confused... in the chess event, can the rook move diagonally? Because in normal chess, the rook can only move straight (either straight forward or side to side).
Medivh's version of chess does not conform to the rules of our world's. As far as I know, every piece can only move to one adjacent square at a time, and any square they want to (presuming unoccupied).
Quick and Dirty Primer to Raiding With Leashes II:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4129

Chess Event Strategy/Discussion:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4168

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » May 23rd, 2013, 11:33 am

Chrth wrote:
Maizing wrote:I'm confused... in the chess event, can the rook move diagonally? Because in normal chess, the rook can only move straight (either straight forward or side to side).
Medivh's version of chess does not conform to the rules of our world's. As far as I know, every piece can only move to one adjacent square at a time, and any square they want to (presuming unoccupied).

The Queen is the exception to that. It can move pretty much anywhere within 3 or 4 spaces away from its current location. Ex) you can move one square left then 3 squares up. (I'm not 100% sure on exactly how it can move as it's really odd and I didn't spend a lot of time paying attetion to anything more than is the target circle green lol)
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Chrth

Post by Chrth » May 23rd, 2013, 12:27 pm

I also noticed that the knight can move two spaces in a straight line.

Update on new strat:

Seems to work nicely. The first time I failed was because I was so happy to see the queen wasn't in fire that I failed to notice the rook was.

The second time, I screwed up and moved the king when I meant to move the queen (so that I had to move the king back when Medivh cheated and didn't move the queen out until after that), but I was able to down Blackhand pretty easily by having the Queen out and keeping the rooks alive through the two fire cheats.

Fortunately :roll: I didn't get the pet off the last boss so I'll be able to play around/test this new strat some more this weekend.

Tizril
Pet Score:4419
BattleTag®:Tizril#1624
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Tizril » May 23rd, 2013, 12:34 pm

This just worked great for me, thanks so much! I also didn't notice it was the Alliance setup until after the fact. Thanks again!

Dirgon
Pet Score:2357
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Post by Dirgon » May 24th, 2013, 7:38 pm

Got 4 wins in a row using this strat, thank you.

The only thing I did differently was keep a bishop in line with the enemy king. He *always* fires my king, so I move it forward one, and once fire is done move king's bishop behind him, cast a heal on my king, and face it towards enemy king if enemy king is closing on my king.

I occasionally drop out of my queen to take control of a priest to cast a heal on a surrounded rook or to drop a bloodlust/heroism too because he's awfully lazy about casting it.

I've noticed fire doesn't kill my queen if he drops it on the queen's space. I just write off the damage because I typically can never move the queen's pawn out, but 2 of my last 4 wins he fired my queen but the queen peice was never fully destroyed.

Robotusch
Pet Score:10391
BattleTag®:Roboe#2913
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Robotusch » May 25th, 2013, 5:40 am

Blizzard dropped another nerf on the chess event, reducing the fire damage and halving the damage bonus from Medivh's cheats.

Phlogiston
Pet Score:4747
BattleTag®:Phlogiston#1786
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Phlogiston » May 25th, 2013, 1:31 pm

Both of your strategies have worked for me. I've also noticed, that if you can get both kings facing each other, moving your bishop behind your king is useful. If you continue to control it, you can alternatively heal your own king and damage the opposing.

Arji
MVP
Pet Score:11930
BattleTag®:Arji#2548
Realm:Lothar-eu

Post by Arji » May 25th, 2013, 2:54 pm

Kuddos to all the Horde players who looked at the picture and thought like me, yeah I get it... :
All this talk about the King is meant to be the King-Figure which abviously is the Warchief .. right , right.. so far so good...
but hey, it took me until tonight to realise there actually IS a King on this board...
when for the first time in my WoW-Life I went in there with an Alliance Char and tried in vain to control the warchief ..
then ... I got it .. :idea:
I so had to laugh about myself !

It really does give some new perspective to play the other side too (MoP story is very interesting to see on both sides).

Back to topic : Thanks very much for this strategy. I only used the first one because it worked perfetly and I didn't scroll further down.
°° Swiss (-German) °° @Home on Lothar (EU) Horde [German] and
Silvermoon (EU) Alliance [English] (EU warcraftpets Guild)

Scarydreams
Pet Score:2669
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Scarydreams » May 27th, 2013, 8:03 am

I'm so so happy to see this post I had given up on the stupid Chess part which meant I was going to miss the last boss :( but now that I have this info I can give it a try and hopefully kick his cheating tail off the board. This is the #1 web site for anything to do with pets I have recommended so many people to the site and they are blown away because of the great info and friendliness of everyone here. :D :D :D :D

Scarydreams
Pet Score:2669
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Scarydreams » May 27th, 2013, 8:38 am

I do have a question is this a turn based game or do I need to break my neck to move each piece as fast as I can and is there a trick to control the piece with out having to click on it twice.. The reason I ask this is normally I have to click on the piece twice and that takes time away frm the other things I need to be doing.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » May 27th, 2013, 12:01 pm

Scarydreams wrote:I do have a question is this a turn based game or do I need to break my neck to move each piece as fast as I can and is there a trick to control the piece with out having to click on it twice.. The reason I ask this is normally I have to click on the piece twice and that takes time away frm the other things I need to be doing.
It's not turn based. I usually hurriedly click through the process of controlling a piece and moving it, while taking a few seconds while the debuff ticks down to check the board and see what I need to be doing next. I'm pretty sure there is some sort of macro you can put into a hotkey instead of clicking on "control this piece," but I've never used it (hopefully someone knows what it is). The strategy posted here has worked really well for me. The one loss I've had was pretty close, and every time I've won it was practically a route.

Naija
MVP
Pet Score:8558
BattleTag®:bwest#1295
Realm:Garrosh-us

Post by Naija » May 28th, 2013, 7:24 pm

Thanks for posting this! It took me a couple of tries, but your first strategy worked for me. I'm sure it would have taken forever to win without your help.

I went 0/4 in Kara today, so next time I'll try your alternate strategy.

Keithkorg
Pet Score:1871
Realm:Eversong-eu

Post by Keithkorg » May 29th, 2013, 4:21 am

The OP is basically the strategy I use, except that I only control the king to step out of the fire. The event goes much quicker if you control one of the rooks and spam their AoE - when the AI is in control of the rooks they use this ability very sparingly. Using it yourself will burn down the opponent's pawns, healers and knights in no time. It also helps that your king piece will still use BL/Heroism when controlled by the AI.

Slab
Pet Score:3088

Post by Slab » May 29th, 2013, 2:17 pm

Can folks confirm that the requirement of 3 players in the dungeon has been lifted for 5.3? My girlfriend and I did the Raiding With Leashes II instances and found a couple of the pets .. we followed that up with visits to the Raiding With Leashes I instances and found zero pets. I remember there being an indication at one point that you couldn't solo and needed 3 characters; obviously that isn't true with the Leashes II places, but has that also retroactively been lifted for Leashes I?

Tasenet
Pet Score:2765
Realm:Mannoroth-us

Post by Tasenet » May 29th, 2013, 5:35 pm

I finally looked for a guide on youtube for the chess event and found a strategy that has worked pretty much 100% of the time now for me. I move the pawn diagonal to the furthest elemental (tower) first, and then that tower replaces it, then I do that to the nearest pawn diagonal to the nearest waveling and move that waveling into its spot. Next I move both pawns forward that are in front of the King and Queen, then I move the King forward then I move the Queen forward and start nuking things down. Staying in the queen means that once Medivh cheats I can move her out of the fire and then rapidly get into the King and move him as well if he targets the both of them. Occasionally fire will be hitting someone like the priests and it can be worthwhile to get them out. But this strategy seems to be pretty simple and efficient.

Chrth

Post by Chrth » May 29th, 2013, 8:00 pm

The alternate strategy isn't as reliable as the original strat. The Queen can take extra damage and goes down faster as a result. I've started bringing out the queen's pawn so I can move her if Medivh gets her when she cheats. One time I had all my non-pawn pieces up and he was down to just the king.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » May 29th, 2013, 8:08 pm

Chrth wrote:I've started bringing out the queen's pawn so I can move her if Medivh gets her when she cheats.
It's not necessary to move the queen's pawn out in order for her to move from fire. The queen is the most mobile of all the pieces, she has a range of 3 or 4 squares she can move. If she ends up in fire, she can just move right through any other pieces on her way to a clear square.

For this reason I much prefer controlling the queen over the king to take down the opposing king, it's a lot easier to move around to help take down any problem pieces. If you leave the king in his starting square or the one directly ahead of it, most pieces will end up within his range and be taken out just fine without having to control him.

Chrth

Post by Chrth » May 29th, 2013, 8:50 pm

NathKnave wrote:
Chrth wrote:I've started bringing out the queen's pawn so I can move her if Medivh gets her when she cheats.
It's not necessary to move the queen's pawn out in order for her to move from fire. The queen is the most mobile of all the pieces, she has a range of 3 or 4 squares she can move. If she ends up in fire, she can just move right through any other pieces on her way to a clear square.

For this reason I much prefer controlling the queen over the king to take down the opposing king, it's a lot easier to move around to help take down any problem pieces. If you leave the king in his starting square or the one directly ahead of it, most pieces will end up within his range and be taken out just fine without having to control him.
The queen can jump over pieces? I'm not so sure about that. I can test next time.