Easier tiny carps comming in 5.3

Share pet collecting news and advice.
GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Re: Easier tiny carps comming in 5.3

Post by GilroyKilroy » May 6th, 2013, 10:18 am

I just have the red one left. For me it boils down to the time it takes to fish one up vs the time it takes to acquire the gold to buy it.

I'll probably spend 10-30 minutes a day at the lake when I finish Zusshi but fishing for hours doesn't have much appeal to me. I could spend the same time gathering ghost iron ore or down in deepholm and make a few thousand gold.

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » May 6th, 2013, 11:18 am

Welp, I managed to get all of mine before I even knew about this. I guess this means I might continue to fish while waiting for my rather long queues to pop in hopes of carps to sell so I can eventually buy the rarer TCG pets. I think it works out well, people like me who don't mind fishing can do the work for people who just can't stand what they regard as pure tedium.

I certainly don't mind that they made that change even though it took me a while to get all 4 carps - I think low droprates work out just fine if it's tradable, that way people can choose whether they want to put the long work fishing in or put a lot of gold's worth of work in for it.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » May 6th, 2013, 1:18 pm

GilroyKilroy wrote:I just have the red one left. For me it boils down to the time it takes to fish one up vs the time it takes to acquire the gold to buy it.

I'll probably spend 10-30 minutes a day at the lake when I finish Zusshi but fishing for hours doesn't have much appeal to me. I could spend the same time gathering ghost iron ore or down in deepholm and make a few thousand gold.
I'm in the same boat, still need the red. I try to put in a half hour to an hour on non raid days, which watching TV or something, but it really drags after a while, and the worst part is I'm ending up with a ton of golden carp that no one wants! I'll keep working at it, but I'm certainly not opposed to simply buying or trading for it if it goes live.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » May 6th, 2013, 1:50 pm

Ishildur wrote:I think low droprates work out just fine if it's tradable, that way people can choose whether they want to put the long work fishing in or put a lot of gold's worth of work in for it.
I totally agree with this. However I'm not sure how much gold it will actually take to get the carps via AH--I don't foresee them being particularly expensive. There are a whole lot of players who fish for non-carp reasons and by the time 5.3 hits, they will have had a long time to accumulate carps that they don't care about. On 5.3 patch day, all those carps will suddenly become BoE and there will be significant competition between sellers. A similar scenario played out when MoP first launched, and the result was that almost all previously BoP pets started high and rapidly settled at a much lower price. The exception to that rule was the truly scarce pets, in particular the high-end TCG pets. Even very rare ingame pets such as Crawling Claw have settled in the 20k range. So, we'll see just how rare the carps actually are. At 1:5000 casts, I suspect that every server has many extras just from people farming for fish feasts and/or taking advantage of the fish-of-the-day pools.

The exception might be the red one, since Spinefish are not particularly popular to farm.

Casca
Top Rater
Pet Score:5184
BattleTag®:Chiba#2767
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Casca » May 6th, 2013, 2:28 pm

I doubt that they will be very expensive since they are simple recolors. If they had special, unique models such as the Crawling Claw that would be another story.

Ackbah
MVP
Pet Score:3209
BattleTag®:Ackbah#1648
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Ackbah » May 6th, 2013, 2:57 pm

Hey Cendir...

Take it easy bro !! Everyone is entitled to their opinion without being bashed. The people that you are calling selfish are the very same people that you are trading with on these boards to grow your collection.

You call my fishing for hours a “Waste of Time”, I find fishing to be a relaxing getaway from several of the wow grinds and have had some really fun conversations with guildys and battle.net peeps while fishing.

I will have you know that my personal selfishness is not naked…it’s fully clothed !!

Hey did you notice that there is a “Fish” in sel fish ness?

We are all “Special Unique Snowflakes” fish or no fish, pets or no pets.

As far as the change... whatever, I fished mine up, im no better then someone that buys em in the AH. I will actually look back some day and say hey lil (insert color here) fishy what a pain you were !! And I can do it without insulting or diminishing the efforts of another.

In fact I named my red carp “Iwasapainintheass”

Peace out. :D

Ack )
Last edited by Ackbah on May 6th, 2013, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valielina
Top Rater

Post by Valielina » May 6th, 2013, 3:03 pm

I just finished maxing fishing for the first time the other day to catch these guys. I suppose to could just forbid myself from buying them, but yeah right lol.

Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ril » May 6th, 2013, 8:05 pm

this is pretty disappointing news. i liked the exclusive feel of those fish, imho a few hard-to-get pets are fine here and there. it's not like the carps are some odd OP battle species or fancy looking. those who already have all four are certainely dedicated (or very, very lucky) pet collectors who have earned them and a little bit of showing off.

i'm saying this as someone who has only fished up one of them. i don't actively farm for them, but i'm doing the nat pagle dailies now and then and make sure to fish in areas where the missing carps drop.

Mastr
MVP
Pet Score:14000
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by Mastr » May 6th, 2013, 9:20 pm

If this change makes it live I will be so happy!

The way they did this is the best of both worlds. For a while it takes great dedication to get them and you get the bragging rights. You get to be the special snowflake. Some time passes, and a whole new set of special pets get released and those become the flavor of the month and confer the snowflake status. Now all the people who HATE to fish (me) can now buy them on the AH. If you love fishing you win as well as you get to take all my gold! The people who don't care about pets get a huge windfall once they are cageable. It drove me crazy that I hadn't caught them all and I held my nose and fished up 2 of them. In the meantime I have scads of fish to sell and stockpile gold to buy the other 2 I don't have yet.
(BTW those golden carp aren't useless, bundle them up as a sack of groceries and get an Ironpaw token for 3 stacks. Buy cooking mats to sell on AH. Win.)

This is the great circle of pet collecting.

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » May 7th, 2013, 12:20 am

Well, as a person with the worst RNG luck in wow, I have fished half an hour to an hour a day since the carps launched, with nary a pet to show for it. So, I will be VERY happy with the change. I suspect that Blizzard figured out that the carps were not acting as effective "variable reinforcement ratio" reinforcers, and were not contributing to the bottom line of habituating wow players. Hence, the reinforcement schedule must be changed.

Hurrah for the MBA in Blizzard who made this call! :lol:

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » May 7th, 2013, 12:33 am

Mastr wrote:(BTW those golden carp aren't useless, bundle them up as a sack of groceries and get an Ironpaw token for 3 stacks. Buy cooking mats to sell on AH. Win.)
Hmm, true... I just checked my bank and sent a massive pile of golden carp to myself for bundling. :) I was trying to sell them on AH but they're not worth as much that way.

Also: YAY I GOT THE RED ONE FINALLY and I never want to see another fishing hole again... until the next shiny fishing related thing gets put in the game :lol: (or I can finish Nat Pagle's reputation, and then quit!!!)

Cendir
Pet Score:6154
Realm:Alexstrasza-us

Post by Cendir » May 7th, 2013, 1:29 am

Ackbah wrote:Hey Cendir...

Take it easy bro !! Everyone is entitled to their opinion without being bashed. The people that you are calling selfish are the very same people that you are trading with on these boards to grow your collection.
Actually no, I haven't traded with those people :twisted: I stand by this statement. Some people don't want to make it easier for me to get, because it was hard for them. If you can come up with a better word, feel free!

Aislinge
MVP
Pet Score:4299
BattleTag®:Aislinge#1549
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Aislinge » May 7th, 2013, 8:44 am

Oh if this comes in! *dances*

I have bad RNG while doofus' in my guild go '*casts* oh lol I got a carp, what's this for? Derp'

I'm not bitter at all... >.>

Kagalii
Top Rater
Pet Score:10513
BattleTag®:Mikadochan#1520
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Kagalii » May 7th, 2013, 8:47 am

Honestly, I hope this makes it to live for various reasons. I have extra carp sitting in my bank I'd like to give my boyfriend. Secondly, people think it's unfair but they don't think rng is unfair. When I have clocked thousands of casts for one color and still don't have it, reading other people's comments how it took them 80 casts or 2 casts hurts. You guys don't think THAT is unfair? I was fishing open water near Oondasta's island waiting for spawm (I'm around 4500 fish caught in open waters for that carp so far), my boyfriend joins me and gets the carp on like 15th cast. He's not a big collector and he cannot trade it to me for my collection. So how many more thousand catches am I going to have to do before I get it?

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » May 7th, 2013, 9:47 am

Kagalii wrote:Honestly, I hope this makes it to live for various reasons. I have extra carp sitting in my bank I'd like to give my boyfriend. Secondly, people think it's unfair but they don't think rng is unfair. When I have clocked thousands of casts for one color and still don't have it, reading other people's comments how it took them 80 casts or 2 casts hurts. You guys don't think THAT is unfair? I was fishing open water near Oondasta's island waiting for spawm (I'm around 4500 fish caught in open waters for that carp so far), my boyfriend joins me and gets the carp on like 15th cast. He's not a big collector and he cannot trade it to me for my collection. So how many more thousand catches am I going to have to do before I get it?
Exactly! RNG is not "work" it is just luck.

Personally, while I am fishing every day (and have been lucky enough to catch the Tiny Blue Carp), I currently enjoy fishing (in moderation!), but I know that if I spent as much time fishing as some people have just trying for the other carps, that I would grow to hate it. If this goes through, while I will continue with my daily fishing, if I find one on the AH in my price range, I will buy it.

Yellowlab
Top Rater
Pet Score:5566
BattleTag®:Yellowlab#1493
Realm:Ner'zhul-us

Post by Yellowlab » May 7th, 2013, 12:19 pm

As someone who has spent the endless hours fishing up all the carp, I have absolutely no problem with them making them cage-able. Some of these are just extremely frustrating to catch. The Blue, Green and White ones weren't so bad because at least you were making some money while doing it. That red one though....ugh, so much trash caught while fishing for it. And of course that one seemed to have the lowest drop rate.

Anyways, the only thing I would have a problem with is if they increased the drop rate of these carp. That would be a tad bit infuriating for the people that caught all of them.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » May 7th, 2013, 2:46 pm

This was just added to updated PTR notes: All updates 7th May are marked in red
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/259711-53-ptr-patch-notes-april-29/

Tiny Blue Carp, Tiny Green Carp, Tiny Red Carp, and Tiny White Carp are now tradable, and can be caught more than once.

The rarity of these pets will plummet for sure now.

Mastr
MVP
Pet Score:14000
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by Mastr » May 7th, 2013, 3:48 pm

Hooray, now I can stop carping about the carps.

Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Poofah » May 7th, 2013, 3:51 pm

Luciandk wrote:The rarity of these pets will plummet for sure now.
The rarity won't necessarily change, but the carps that exist will find their way into the hands of people who are willing to pay for them (i.e., us). So from our perspective, yes, they will be much easier to get.
Amadia wrote:I understand it was hard for some people to get, but honestly, making gold is just as tedious and I'd rather do that. ... What I don't understand is why people who fished them themselves feel more entitled than people who farm gold to buy them? Is it no different?
I don't feel entitled, I just feel annoyed. Making gold isn't exciting, but it's a lot more fun than fishing for hours on end. If I had known these carps would ever be BoE, I'd simply have waited and paid gold for them. But they explicitly said that they were made BoP to give fishing an exclusive perk. So there was no way to predict that they'd become BoE, and I feel like all that fishing time was wasted effort. This is especially true considering that when they become BoE, the market will quickly flood with all the carps caught by non-pet-collectors. So in the end, I spent 20+ hours fishing when I probably could have spent an hour or two making gold.