Share pet collecting news and advice.
Dakender
MVP
Pet Score:9654
BattleTag®:Dakender#1566
Realm:Madoran-us
Re: PTR - Unborn Val'kyr

Post by Dakender » May 15th, 2013, 8:45 pm

Yalina wrote:Dakender, didn't you say you had alts stashed at Vigdis the War Maiden and Syreian the Bonecarver?
Yes, I have 7 toons camped at the spawn points for the 4 main Val'kyr, 3 for Jorfus, 2 for Hildana, 1 for Syreian, and 1 for Vigdis. BUT, now that I have confirmed that Loque'nahak is another spot, that puts a twist in the plans, it could be ANY RARE SPAWN....

Nomadking
Top Rater
Pet Score:13744
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Nomadking » May 16th, 2013, 2:42 am

Quintessence wrote:Saw this comment on Wowhead and decided to look into it.

Comparing both Dakender's map screenshots of locations where the Unborn Val'kyr was found, and spawn points for rares in Northrend, I've found two possible matches so far.

The one in Icecrown is near High Thane Jorfus' spawn area, and the one in Scholazar is near Loque'nahak's.

Even if they are not specifically related to rare spawns, perhaps they share the same spawn point as them. Maybe on the same/similar timer too? Rotation between rare spawn and pet?
Considering Mumpers comment on players not effecting the spawns, I think the link to rare spawns seems like the most likely "event" for spawning them.

It even fits well with the journal description - they are here to kill the rares and become true Val'kyr! (That would be the cutest battle in WoW history lol)

Paulodemoc
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Paulodemoc » May 16th, 2013, 6:12 am

Jadax wrote:
Paulodemoc wrote:It was confirmed that it has nothing to do with players killing bosses or finishing raids
@mumper /status/334716159259709440
Really, that was already confirmed...
And yet people were still plotting about bosses and raids.... that is why I wanted a specific confirmation.

Chrth
Pet Score:5078
BattleTag®:Chrth#1939
Realm:Nesingwary-us

Post by Chrth » May 16th, 2013, 7:20 am

I clicked the pic of the SB map and I immediately said "That's a Loque spawn point"

Here's the thing tho: Loque has SIX spawn points.... but only one of them (the one pictured) is close to the "Northern Tundra". Skoll has 3, Gondria has 5 ... and Aotona has something like 9.

I'm thinking Blizzard isn't as insane as to put it possibly at every rare spawn point in Northrend. So maybe just the ones that are in Icecrown or border it (Loque's spawn point there is close to the Avalanche)? That would limit it considerably.
Quick and Dirty Primer to Raiding With Leashes II:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4129

Chess Event Strategy/Discussion:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4168

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » May 16th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Chrth wrote:Here's the thing tho: Loque has SIX spawn points.... but only one of them (the one pictured) is close to the "Northern Tundra". Skoll has 3, Gondria has 5 ... and Aotona has something like 9.

I'm thinking Blizzard isn't as insane as to put it possibly at every rare spawn point in Northrend. So maybe just the ones that are in Icecrown or border it (Loque's spawn point there is close to the Avalanche)? That would limit it considerably.
Why would you limit it to just Icecrown? There's a lot more frozen tundra in Northrend than just Icecrown. All of the Dragonblight, Storm Peaks, half of Zul'Drak, and even some of the Fjord/Borean Tundra rares would be back on the table. We could eliminate the Aotona spawns, since she's almost exclusively in jungle, but the rhino in Borean Tundra spawns on ice, as does the penguin in Howling Fjord.

As for spawn points, almost every single Northrend rare has multiple spawn points. I want to say that only Arcturis (the spirit beast bear) had a single spawn point and stayed there. That's what made rare hunting for Frostbitten (or to tame the spirit beasts) so freaking painful.

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » May 16th, 2013, 7:58 pm

Well, I have now set my teams up to camp zones ;) hehehe, log them in one at a time and fly the rare spawns.. Have the two confirmed spots as a camp site so i log on and im already there...

Ðeadßecky - Borean Tundra
Ðeadßetty - Sholazar Basin (Confirmed)
Ðeadßessy - Icecrown (Confirmed)
Ðeadßilly - Storm Peaks
Ðeadßob - Dragonblight
Ðeadßorn - Zul'Drak
Ðeadßuck - Grizzly Hills
Ðeadßertha - Howling Fjord

Not sure what I'll find, but anything is worth it I guess at this point..

Mirage
Pet Score:2633
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Mirage » May 16th, 2013, 8:50 pm

Mumper confirmed recently (within the last few hours) that the Unborn Val'kyr doesn't spawn based on Northrend rare spawn points. https://twitter.com/mumper This is one of the most significant clues from him we've had about how/where it spawns...even if it still gives us little to go off of.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » May 16th, 2013, 10:16 pm

Mirage wrote:Mumper confirmed recently (within the last few hours) that the Unborn Val'kyr doesn't spawn based on Northrend rare spawn points. https://twitter.com/mumper This is one of the most significant clues from him we've had about how/where it spawns...even if it still gives us little to go off of.
The thing that's unsatisfying about this clue is that it's not very specific. "Linked" could mean a number of things.

So far even though they don't seem "linked" (as in spawns affecting each other), there have been two confirmed spawns that are on rares spawn points. The Unborn Val'kyr might still be found near those areas (unless Mumper can confirm otherwise heh).
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Chrth

Post by Chrth » May 16th, 2013, 10:58 pm

Yalina wrote: Why would you limit it to just Icecrown?
Because it's a Val'kyr. I suspect (tho just a guess) that you'll only find it in areas with a significant Scourge presence. Yes, that includes parts of, say, Borean Tundra and even Storm Peaks, but it also eliminates a sizable amount of tundra real estate.

But since it's not tied to rare spawns per Mumper, then any guess is as good as mine.

Mirage
Pet Score:2633
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Mirage » May 16th, 2013, 11:46 pm

Chrth wrote:
Because it's a Val'kyr. I suspect (tho just a guess) that you'll only find it in areas with a significant Scourge presence. Yes, that includes parts of, say, Borean Tundra and even Storm Peaks, but it also eliminates a sizable amount of tundra real estate.

But since it's not tied to rare spawns per Mumper, then any guess is as good as mine.
Since the Pet Journal on the PTR says "Northrend" instead of just "Icecrown", and people have found them in other zones, it doesn't seem locked to only Icecrown. Besides, there are Val'kyr in places like Howling Fjord and such as well if it was due to that.

Kurasu
Top Rater
Pet Score:10017
BattleTag®:Kurasu#2861
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Kurasu » May 17th, 2013, 5:43 am

Something I can't help but notice is that people are finding them only one at a time. I'm not sure if it's been posited, but is it possible that only one can be up at a time, across Northrend? So you have to capture one to make another one spawn?

Terrifying thought, but it'd explain why they've been so hard to find sometimes.

Chrth

Post by Chrth » May 17th, 2013, 7:28 am

Mirage wrote:
Chrth wrote:

Since the Pet Journal on the PTR says "Northrend" instead of just "Icecrown", and people have found them in other zones, it doesn't seem locked to only Icecrown. Besides, there are Val'kyr in places like Howling Fjord and such as well if it was due to that.
Didn't I just say that?

Zoros
Top Rater
Pet Score:13589
BattleTag®:Zoros#1560
Realm:The Venture Co-us

Post by Zoros » May 17th, 2013, 11:21 am

I think that we are misunderstanding the "New Spawning Mechanic" statement. I think the Val'kyr is just a rare spawn just like an other rare spawn in WOW. What makes it new is that it spawns in one of several zones instead of a single zone like every rare before it. So its like that minifernal but it can appear in any of a multitude of zones when it does spawn.

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » May 17th, 2013, 2:12 pm

There's a post on the wowhead forums from yesterday about locations in Zul'Drak and K3. I'm at work and can't get the images to load on this network. [url]http://ptr.wowhead.com/npc=71163#comments:id=1853681[/url] The user is saying they're not rare spawn points, but that Zul'Drak description makes me think it might be a Gondria one. Can someone take a look at the images and confirm if they're a rare spawn spot?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13928
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » May 17th, 2013, 2:23 pm

Yalina wrote:There's a post on the wowhead forums from yesterday about locations in Zul'Drak and K3. I'm at work and can't get the images to load on this network. [url]http://ptr.wowhead.com/npc=71163#comments:id=1853681[/url] The user is saying they're not rare spawn points, but that Zul'Drak description makes me think it might be a Gondria one. Can someone take a look at the images and confirm if they're a rare spawn spot?
The spawn in Zul'Drak isn't directly on top of a rare spawn point, but it's VERY close. There are actually three that can spawn very near, the closest being Gondria and Griegen (Griegen might be a mistake with the Wowhead map, though) with Terror Spinner coming in a close third.

I can't tell where exactly the Storm Peaks spawn is from the screenshot provided. If it's directly north of K3 and against the mountains, I don't see any rare spawn in that area. The closest possible rare that spawns near or paths near K3 are the two rare dragons. If the user found the Unborn Val'kyr even further north, it's possible that it's near Dirkee or Skoll. Hard to say without a map image of the exact spot, though.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Dazer
Pet Score:10104
BattleTag®:Dazer#2240
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Dazer » May 17th, 2013, 3:27 pm

Well, the minimap says Snowblind Hills; that's K3 area, so it must be the mountains north of K3.

Esterhazy
Top Rater
Pet Score:3718
Realm:The Scryers-us

Post by Esterhazy » May 17th, 2013, 8:28 pm

Zoros wrote:I think that we are misunderstanding the "New Spawning Mechanic" statement. I think the Val'kyr is just a rare spawn just like an other rare spawn in WOW. What makes it new is that it spawns in one of several zones instead of a single zone like every rare before it. So its like that minifernal but it can appear in any of a multitude of zones when it does spawn.
I agree with this.

There have been 5 confirmed spawn spots (from here and wowhead):
1) The broken front near Scourgeholme, not a rare spawn spot.
2) High Thane Jorfus spot, court of bones, a rare spot.
3) Northern spawn spot for Loque'nahak in the basin, a rare spot.
4) East of Altar of Rhunok, Zul'drak, not a rare spawn spot.
5) North of K3, snowblind hills (near cave) Storm peaks, not a rare spawn spot.
... and only 2 are on rare spawn spots.

As no one has mentioned anything out of the ordinary one can assume that nothing zone specific triggers this, however, if you plot that on a map it makes a very nice dotted line straight across the top half of Northrend!

Waveryn
Pet Score:13711

Post by Waveryn » May 17th, 2013, 8:31 pm

Dakender wrote:
I only know of one PTR, just downloaded the link in the battle.net area of my account and it works :) It should have 5 servers.

Anasterian (US) Normal

http://dist.blizzard.com/downloads/wow-installers/8eb0c6a7195aca044d64592adb04a737/ptr/World-of-Warcraft-Public-Test-Setup-enUS.exe
Thats where my toon is but does not show any toon when I pick the server and it stops at connected, tried so many times I just gave up.
Wave

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » May 17th, 2013, 10:19 pm

Esterhazy wrote:As no one has mentioned anything out of the ordinary one can assume that nothing zone specific triggers this, however, if you plot that on a map it makes a very nice dotted line straight across the top half of Northrend!
Once I read about the two new locations I had to go find them :) heheh and then did the screenshots, yea, wow, was thinking the exact same thing ;) Ended up redoing the very first post of this thread to reflect the new stuff... Also got mapcoords addon working and got coords to all 4 of the confirmed spawns... lots of outdated and obsolete stuff was in the original post from what we know today :)

[url=http://s741.photobucket.com/user/Dakender/media/Games%20People%20Play/World%20Of%20Warcraft/WoW%20-%20PTR/Confirmed4locs.jpg.html]Image[/url]

Dakender
MVP

Post by Dakender » May 17th, 2013, 10:21 pm

Waveryn wrote: Thats where my toon is but does not show any toon when I pick the server and it stops at connected, tried so many times I just gave up.
Wife had that problem at one time, what we did was copy the entire directory to a flash drive, then did a full UNINSTALL of the ptr... then just clicked on the .exe file on the flash drive and it's played fine ever since.