Share pet collecting news and advice.
Aislinge
MVP
Pet Score:4299
BattleTag®:Aislinge#1549
Realm:Dath'Remar-us
Re: The Rare Obsession

Post by Aislinge » March 30th, 2013, 12:31 am

I follow the same process - I have the 'pets by zone' ticked and will work through that zone. I'll keep going until they are all done and any duplicates I get I'll spend that time replacing 'duds' (so if there's a P/P version out there etc, I'll aim for that).

Sure, it takes longer, but in the end, I don't want to me reworking my collection a lot.

Corah
Pet Score:13318
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Corah » March 30th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Wildhammer gryphon is giving me a pain.

Usako
Pet Score:3097
Realm:Skywall-us

Post by Usako » April 1st, 2013, 8:49 am

Corah wrote:Wildhammer gryphon is giving me a pain.
Try attacking the pets in the nearby area. That's how the wildhammer gryphon rare popped up as a secondary pet to battle. PHEW! One of these days I'll lurk around again to get another with a different breed type.

Ginwen
Top Rater
Pet Score:2745
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Ginwen » April 2nd, 2013, 6:54 pm

Me too. Every time I get a flight stone I am sooo tempted to use it on that, but gotta upgrade the only available in green pets first.

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » April 3rd, 2013, 6:54 am

While I was farming a rare Huge Toad (I think it was a toad been a while) I decided to stay over by all the red dragons and and just keep going in circles fighting every battle pet that popped up and I had seen probably 7 or 8 rare Gryphons in the hour and a half or so I was farming. And I never ran out of pets to battle just in that little area by the cave, water and dragons.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » April 3rd, 2013, 11:47 am

I got a rare Wildhammer Gryphon as a secondary pet with a Borean Marmot. I know it wasn't the front pet.

What I can't find are the Highlands Turkeys. I've seen one, which was poor. Last poor quality pet I have, and it's bothering me something fierce.

Shaytan
MVP
Pet Score:5237
Realm:Deathwing-us

Post by Shaytan » April 3rd, 2013, 1:37 pm

I'm another with the rare obsession. I'm down to a few pets left to get my hands on..

The Qiraji Guardling from the world capture pets.
The Crawling Claw from Arch.
Legs and Wolvar Pup from Childrens Week.
Thunder Serpent Hatchling from the Guild Gold Achieve.
Alliance Guild Page, Squire, and Herald.
Son of Animus

And the two that will cost a small fortune
Mini Tyrael
Murky

My Spectral Cub and Tuskarr Kite will be here on Friday.

That leaves me a Grand Total of 66 Battle Stones needed to upgrade my pets!

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » April 3rd, 2013, 2:19 pm

Yalina wrote:
Mizix wrote:• Flayer Youngling (Terokkar Forest, Razorthorne Rise – not so rare but only a few spawns at time are up)
• Tiny Twister (Arathi Highlands, not sure but rumors say only during rain)
Good list overall. A few comments.

In my experience, the Flayer Younglings don't have a "only a set number up at a time" condition. I've gone through there at 5 am and seen plenty of spawns. They may just be a slow to respawn pet. That said, they're available in a number of breeds, so you could be at it for a while if you're after a rare of a specific breed. It could still be in your best interest to stone your flayer youngling if you find the breed you want.
Specifically regarding the Flayer Youngling... They share a spawn table with the adult Flayers in their spawning area. If you kill the adults, you can force a spawn of the younglings. It may take awhile (I think the adults have a higher chance to spawn), but if you run from one end of the spawn zone to the other, just killing the adults, eventually, some young will spawn. This is how I got my own flayers. They aren't rare, they just take a little effort.