Heroic Raiding now required to complete collections...

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Ryken
Top Rater
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Stormrage-us
Heroic Raiding now required to complete collections...

Post by Ryken » March 26th, 2013, 7:24 am

Yup, one of the new pets in 5.3 comes from Heroic Primordious in ToT...

Can't post a link yet, but jump on the PTR and see it for yourself: Viscous Horror

Very bad move, IMO.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Re: Heroic Raiding now required to complete collections...

Post by Gendou » March 26th, 2013, 7:28 am

We were [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3446&start=20#p25424]just discussing that in the 5.3 New Pets thread[/url].
If that's the case, my collection will remain incomplete for at least another expansion.
ImageImage

Basti
MVP
Pet Score:3493
BattleTag®:Delubyo#1445
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Basti » March 26th, 2013, 8:34 am

Is it a tradeable pet? If not then this pet will be out of my reach until next patch, probably next expansion since I don't really consider myself as a raider. I do not understand why Blizzard is doing this. First, they are introducing new pets but only obtainable via PvP achievements. There are certain things I do not enjoy doing and PvP (in whatever form) is one of them. I may never own any of those pets then. Off-topic but one of the complaints I sent Blizz is about the Wrathion questlne, I worked on it for weeks only to find out that one of the succeeding quests will require me to PvP. I dropped the quest and will never complete that achievement. :roll:

Ryken
Top Rater
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ryken » March 26th, 2013, 9:13 am

Yes, as of this build, the pet is tradeable.

Meldron
Top Rater
Pet Score:4602
BattleTag®:Meldwyn#1993
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Meldron » March 26th, 2013, 9:58 am

And it will be SUPER expensive for at least a patch or two... Have you seen the prices for a Son of Animus? lol

Magnamir
Pet Score:2331
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Magnamir » March 26th, 2013, 10:34 am

I think this is a great idea! It should be hard to get some pets. Its just too bad it is tradable. How many of you would make an effort to do a heroic raid if you could get a murloc?

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » March 26th, 2013, 11:01 am

Magnamir wrote:I think this is a great idea! It should be hard to get some pets. Its just too bad it is tradable. How many of you would make an effort to do a heroic raid if you could get a murloc?
I would wait an expansion or two.

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » March 26th, 2013, 11:09 am

I haven't raided at all since Mists launched, and will probably have to rely on the other raiders in my guild or the AH to get this pet and the other three ToT pets that were introduced in 5.2; either way, there are still plenty of pets for everyone to get though the stunted direhorn is a bit daunting...

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » March 26th, 2013, 11:32 am

Odd that its heroic only. They've said many times that its a tiny percentage of players that do heroic raids, so they're expecting that most people will get this via the AH. Not too compelling.

Mowse
Pet Score:2572
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Mowse » March 26th, 2013, 2:37 pm

As a heroic raider, this makes me a sorta happy.

As for doing the two pvp battles for the achievement - all you have to do is be in a winning battle. You could just run around the whole time and wait for it to end if you wanted.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » March 26th, 2013, 4:07 pm

Magnamir wrote:I think this is a great idea! It should be hard to get some pets. Its just too bad it is tradable. How many of you would make an effort to do a heroic raid if you could get a murloc?
Well, considering it would involve me moving guilds, or possibly even realms, I don't think it's going to happen.

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » March 26th, 2013, 8:36 pm

It winds me up when people moan about new/different ways to earn pets.

You've done -loads- of hard or boring things to earn pets in the past. Saving up gold, or joining a heroic raid is no different.

Dragonling
Top Rater
Pet Score:2160
Realm:Sen'jin-us

Post by Dragonling » March 26th, 2013, 9:37 pm

Considering how expensive some of the more desirable TCG pets are, I don't see how a heroic raid drop is a huge deal if it can be caged.

Zythehealer
Pet Score:2908
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Zythehealer » March 26th, 2013, 9:39 pm

Doh, and I had to step down from my raid team this tier. They killed Lei Shen last night and are tackling their first heroic boss tonight :(

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » March 26th, 2013, 11:25 pm

Mowse wrote:As for doing the two pvp battles for the achievement - all you have to do is be in a winning battle. You could just run around the whole time and wait for it to end if you wanted.
I assumed the PvP achev. awarding a pet was for pet battle PvP?!? Is that right? Is there another pet for just plain PvP?

Ryazan
MVP
Pet Score:13560
Realm:Ragnaros-eu

Post by Ryazan » March 26th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Sunscorch wrote:Saving up gold, or joining a heroic raid is no different.
Are you saying pugging heroic content is as easy as saving gold? Sure you can always buy the pet but comparing those two is just silly. And they are quite different, no other pet before has required you to be in a guild with properly geared and organized people so you can down heroic bosses.
- Taking your candles since 2005

Mizix
Top Rater
Pet Score:7887
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Mizix » March 27th, 2013, 8:21 am

I think Blizzard has understood that wherever they put a new pet, a swarm of dedicated collectors will go and work to get it.

It may be a way to lure some of us that were once raiders back into committing to a guild (instead of just running LFR for the pets) or simply a way to reward heroic raiders. It's weird because indeed heroic raiders are a small percentage of the playerbase, but afterall it's just one single pet.

There are many of us that will never complete our collections because of TCG, CE or events pets... what's another pet? Not gamebreaking yeah, heartbreaking 'tho :(

Ril
Top Rater
Pet Score:10049
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Ril » March 27th, 2013, 8:43 am

it's kind of odd, but as a heroic raider, it makes me happy. it makes a nice change from grinding, which is the source of an overwhelming number of pets. i don't see the problem with having a few more difficult pet sources, altough i don't understand why they have two pets drop off the same boss.

it's not like the majority of players is excluded from ever getting the pet (at least, i hope so). they only will have to wait for a bunch of months or pay a big pile of gold for it. the more pet sources there are, the better imho. old and new raids were a good start. as long as there is a reasonable time frame that doesn't exclude all non-enthusiasts (read: no removal of the pets), heroic raids and maybe even pvp might prove to be good pet sources, for a change.

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » March 27th, 2013, 10:36 am

I think its a bad move, from a marketing perspective. Blizzard had made great strides toward engaging the non-hardcore raiding segment by offering alternative "advancement paths" through the side games of pet battles and farming. Yes, I know these activities are not "classic WoW", but they keep a lot of us shelling out our $15/month, and thats good for Blizzard, which is good for anyone who wants this game to prosper (and thereby survive). By adding yet another current content raiding hurdle to leap, Blizzard risks alienating the new market segment it has nurtured with MoP. From my perspective, they might have been better to add more NON PET "raiding specific" rewards or achievements to please the raid fans. That being said, putting pets into the drops for retro raids was a great idea, since it encourages the non-hardcore crowd to go see the old content.

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » March 27th, 2013, 10:46 am

Breehit wrote:I think its a bad move, from a marketing perspective. Blizzard had made great strides toward engaging the non-hardcore raiding segment by offering alternative "advancement paths" through the side games of pet battles and farming. Yes, I know these activities are not "classic WoW", but they keep a lot of us shelling out our $15/month, and thats good for Blizzard, which is good for anyone who wants this game to prosper (and thereby survive). By adding yet another current content raiding hurdle to leap, Blizzard risks alienating the new market segment it has nurtured with MoP. From my perspective, they might have been better to add more NON PET "raiding specific" rewards or achievements to please the raid fans. That being said, putting pets into the drops for retro raids was a great idea, since it encourages the non-hardcore crowd to go see the old content.
It is tradable.

Sans the evil Carps of 5.2 MoP has demonstrated that Blizzard considers having piles of $$$ a sufficient challenge to collection (which I agree with), as all pets that are hidden behind any real level of effort or RNG are now tradable.