Blizzard's new no de-spawning battle pets.

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Jkierst920
Top Rater
Pet Score:12392
BattleTag®:jkierst920#1642
Realm:Madoran-us
Blizzard's new no de-spawning battle pets.

Post by Jkierst920 » March 11th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Does anyone else find this annoying? I understand it's useful if your in a rare area like Minfernal or the Scourged Whelpling, but if your hunting for rares and the same one you just battled to check just keep showing up again with the same rarity... new ones don't spawn. I've resorted to moonfiring the pets so new ones will spawn. So aggravating. :x

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13557
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Re: Blizzard's new no de-spawning battle pets.

Post by Mehetabel » March 11th, 2013, 2:34 pm

Knowing this was coming I made sure I had rares are every single wild pet before 5.2 landed. That way I've only had the 4 new wild ones to worry about. It is a bit annoying though, I'm also nuking the pet unless it's uncommon in which case I leave it up for someone else.
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Harumai
Top Rater
Pet Score:8247
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Harumai » March 11th, 2013, 2:44 pm

It bothers me more than you lose HP when you forfeit, I've already captured all the battle pets, now I only hunt for better upgrades even on common pets....Ive gone through many extra band-aids since patch day.

Poutinette
MVP
Pet Score:4898
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Poutinette » March 11th, 2013, 2:48 pm

If it don't have a rare in one of the 3 pets, I kill it.

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » March 11th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Poutinette wrote:If it don't have a rare in one of the 3 pets, I kill it.

Same here, if there are no rares in the trifecta of pets I just battled I kill it.

Syrrie
MVP
Pet Score:6201
BattleTag®:Syrrie#1506
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Syrrie » March 11th, 2013, 4:18 pm

Jkierst920 wrote:Does anyone else find this annoying?
Personally I love this change. I upgraded all my wild pets to rare pre-5.1 so I haven't had much rare farming to do since then, but I always felt a little bit bad despawning all the pets in site when I was rare farming. And especially with brand new pets, like on the Isle of Thunder, I now don't feel bad at all for checking a wild pet to see if it's an upgrade because I'm not taking the chance at that pet away from someone who doesn't have it at all.

The damage on fleeing is a bit annoying, but 1) I'm sitting on 600+ pet bandages and 2) you can just flee, heal, and immediately re-engage when you do find that rare. The having to kill spawns to force new ones isn't that much different that what I did to, say, farm a rare larva in Ghostlands way back when. Nuke any spirit crab on the shore that's less than level 5, engage only level 5+ spirit crabs to check the secondary pet. It's an added GCD of time to each check, but I think it's more than worth it for being able to leave pets up for people that still need them without having to alt+F4 each time. (And for me, at least, a GCD to kill a crap spawn is way faster than a relog to save a rare for someone.)
Image Image

Nearlysober
Top Rater
Pet Score:13614
Realm:Sargeras-us

Post by Nearlysober » March 11th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Harumai wrote:It bothers me more than you lose HP when you forfeit, I've already captured all the battle pets, now I only hunt for better upgrades even on common pets....Ive gone through many extra band-aids since patch day.
What I've started doing is only healing after I've found an upgrade to fight.

I just go around, abandoning the fight and if there's no rare killing the mob so a new one spawns. Your pets will stop taking a 10% health loss at 5hps... yup I've gone that long without needing to heal.

When you find the rare you're looking for, abandon the fight. Heal your pets. The pet will re-appear with the same rare and you can battle again.

Jkierst920
Top Rater
Pet Score:12392
BattleTag®:jkierst920#1642
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Jkierst920 » March 11th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Nearlysober wrote:
Harumai wrote: I just go around, abandoning the fight and if there's no rare killing the mob so a new one spawns. Your pets will stop taking a 10% health loss at 5hps... yup I've gone that long without needing to heal.

When you find the rare you're looking for, abandon the fight. Heal your pets. The pet will re-appear with the same rare and you can battle again.
That's a great idea actually, good to know it stops at 5

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » March 11th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Just hunt with a random team, never heal, and when you get the rare forfiet, switch to real team, win

Stonewallred
Pet Score:1825
Realm:Malfurion-us

Post by Stonewallred » March 11th, 2013, 7:07 pm

I use my collecting team, Cat and turnip, with whatever random pet I am leveling. If no rare, I kill it for the pet xp for my leveling pet, and for a new spawn.

If it ain't some seldom spawning pet, where even a poor is worth capturing, you are doing yourself and the next person a favor by killing them, and why waste xp? Swap your leveling pet in, then nuke them.

Ginwen
Top Rater
Pet Score:2745
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Ginwen » March 11th, 2013, 10:40 pm

Nearlysober wrote:
Harumai wrote:It bothers me more than you lose HP when you forfeit, I've already captured all the battle pets, now I only hunt for better upgrades even on common pets....Ive gone through many extra band-aids since patch day.
What I've started doing is only healing after I've found an upgrade to fight.

I just go around, abandoning the fight and if there's no rare killing the mob so a new one spawns. Your pets will stop taking a 10% health loss at 5hps... yup I've gone that long without needing to heal.

Thanks, that's a great idea. It will also be helpful when I am both looking for rares and trying to get experience since I can abandon and swap in my turnip.

Cloud
Pet Score:2135
Realm:Hellscream-eu

Post by Cloud » March 12th, 2013, 3:07 am

Lead with Stinker (though any skunk will do).
First battle abandon as usual.
Second battle all have lost 10%, so he heals the team and I abandon.
Repeat

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » March 12th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Poutinette wrote:If it don't have a rare in one of the 3 pets, I kill it.
And I find that ass-minded for people that wants just one....

Thanks to the new pet not vanishing I finally got my Scourged Whelpling today :D

Aislinge
MVP
Pet Score:4299
BattleTag®:Aislinge#1549
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Aislinge » March 13th, 2013, 1:24 am

I like and dislike it equally. When I find a rare that I have, I do a shout out incase anyone else is after it. People appreciate the gesture. If it's a dud spawn, I too just nuke it with Moonfire. Obviously, for the sake of kindness, you don't do this to super rares like Scourge Whelplings. It is annoying but I can't see them going back to the other way of doing things tbh :?

TippyKitt
Pet Score:2789
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by TippyKitt » March 13th, 2013, 1:44 pm

On one hand I'm ok with it because rare cute pets I dont really worry about quality, I just want it for the vanity part. Like the wild hatchlings. I just got exalted so I grabbed up the first of each color I saw because some comments here and on wowhead say they can be rare spawning (I'm thinkin it was either fixed or exaggerated cuse there are a butt ton on my realm). Now I'm going about looking for rares but I dont wipe the ones that are up in case there are others like me about.

That being said, I'm about to pull my hair out because I've done a full sweep of the area and I've fought all the ones that are up. It would be nice if, say, they had a timer that de-spawned the current pets up and refreshed it with new qualities/IDs/ect of the same critters.

I think that would give those just wanting to grab them for vanity means can get what they want and rare hunters just have to wait for a refresh to starting there rounds again.

Knotrandall
Pet Score:4912
Realm:Maelstrom-us

Post by Knotrandall » March 19th, 2013, 9:58 pm

I have a feeling that most people who are hunting for rares just battle, forfeit and leave the non-rares for the next schmuck (me). I have seen a dramatic decrease in the frequency of rare pets, and I'm really kicking myself for not finishing them all off before 5.2.

Cendir
Pet Score:6154
Realm:Alexstrasza-us

Post by Cendir » March 20th, 2013, 6:08 am

Formerruling wrote:Just hunt with a random team, never heal, and when you get the rare forfiet, switch to real team, win
This is exactly what I do (and kill the crappy spawn of course). I feel many of you guys are making this too complicated heh

Yashima
Pet Score:2930
Realm:Kil'jaeden-eu

Post by Yashima » March 20th, 2013, 6:37 am

While it is annoying when looking for a rare, I tend to do the same thing as many others: I have a special "search" team ... that is low on health and I switch to the real time if I find something I want. Alternatively I kill the non-rare spawns and move on. I hate the targeting though, sometimes I start a fight a second time accidentally ;)

What I noticed, is an increase in availability for pets I previously had trouble to find at all: Fluxfire Feline, Nexus Whelpling, Anodized Robocub. I don't think it makes a difference for the ultra-rares like Scourged Whelpling and Minfernal but for many other semi-rares it's really a great thing.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » March 20th, 2013, 5:16 pm

Yashima wrote:I don't think it makes a difference for the ultra-rares like Scourged Whelpling and Minfernal but for many other semi-rares it's really a great thing.
I think you'd be surprised. For the first time ever, I randomly happened across a Scourged Whelpling the other day. I've had mine for quite awhile, a poor one I got during a server reset that I upgraded with a stone long ago, but I'd never actually seen one aside from that. I have a horde toon that I've been doing the Argent Tournament dailies on, and during all those flights between the Argent Tournament Grounds and Dalaran I had never seen a single one until now. Not just one either, two up at the same time, and not a camper in sight. Both of them were poor, but I like to think they still made someone very happy.