My Pet Collection
You've collected 0 pets
Log in to track your collection

Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Share pet collecting news and advice.
User avatar
Ruzgofdi
MVP
 
Posts: 124
Joined: December 31st, 2007
Pet Score: 4033
BattleTag®: TrojanRat#1907
Realm: Zangarmarsh-US

Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby Ruzgofdi » March 9th, 2013, 9:15 pm

As of 5.2, retreating from a wild battle does two things:
1) It injures the team of pets you started the battle with.
2) It respawns the team you've retreated from.

So, the plan I've been working with has been to start a battle to check for rares. If I don't find one, I retreat and take the damage. If I do find one, I retreat and take the damage, heal my team, and re-start the battle.

After today's rounds on the Thunder Isle, having seen nothing but poor and common teams, I'm wondering if others maybe doing the same thing, which eventually leads to nothing spawned but teams that rare hunters don't want. And there's a small, dark part of me thinking maybe an "accident" with an ability would get a better team to spawn in it's place.

Thoughts?

User avatar
Jadax
Top Rater
 
Posts: 314
Joined: April 18th, 2011
Pet Score: 4374
BattleTag®: Sunscorch#2259
Realm: Lightbringer-EU

Re: Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby Jadax » March 9th, 2013, 9:18 pm

I quite often use an ability to annihilate a pointless wild pet :P

Only in areas with reasonable spawn rates, though. You won't catch me slaughtering Scourged Whelplings, for example.

User avatar
GilroyKilroy
MVP
 
Posts: 218
Joined: July 18th, 2010
Pet Score: 5157
Realm: Proudmoore-US

Re: Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby GilroyKilroy » March 9th, 2013, 9:53 pm

If they are poor/common then I will retreat and nuke the pet so it will respawn something else. Uncommon I will leave up for someone else. Rare I take for myself :) (unless I have one already of that breed.)

User avatar
Ruzgofdi
MVP
 
Posts: 124
Joined: December 31st, 2007
Pet Score: 4033
BattleTag®: TrojanRat#1907
Realm: Zangarmarsh-US

Re: Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby Ruzgofdi » March 9th, 2013, 10:00 pm

Okay. Random thought: What needs to be uncommon or better to earn the team a stay of sentence?

Lets say I start a battle with an Elder Python. The Python itself is poor, but one of its two back up pets is a rare cockroach. I have an uncommon python and a rare cockroach already, and the third pet isn't worth mentioning. I'm going to back out of the fight. Do I let that trio live?

User avatar
Jadax
Top Rater
 
Posts: 314
Joined: April 18th, 2011
Pet Score: 4374
BattleTag®: Sunscorch#2259
Realm: Lightbringer-EU

Re: Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby Jadax » March 9th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Ruzgofdi wrote:Okay. Random thought: What needs to be uncommon or better to earn the team a stay of sentence?

Lets say I start a battle with an Elder Python. The Python itself is poor, but one of its two back up pets is a rare cockroach. I have an uncommon python and a rare cockroach already, and the third pet isn't worth mentioning. I'm going to back out of the fight. Do I let that trio live?


I probably would, aye.

User avatar
Iconyx
 
Posts: 56
Joined: December 15th, 2012
Pet Score: 2660
Realm: Magtheridon-US

Re: Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby Iconyx » March 9th, 2013, 10:42 pm

For commonplace pets, i.e. pets in high numbers with fast respawns, anything is fair game. If you want a rare, do whatever you need to get it. With that being said, as a courtesy, if you farm an area 'dry,' take a spin around the block and kill all the wild pets before leaving. That gives a fresh batch of respawns for the next pet hunter.

For super-rare wild pets, if you unnecessarily nuke the ones you don't want, I will find you, and I will kill you.

User avatar
Quintessence
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2054
Joined: June 4th, 2008
Pet Score: 5156
Realm: Proudmoore-US

Re: Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby Quintessence » March 10th, 2013, 6:53 am

I generally don't forfeit a wild battle unless I forgot to switch out a pet/ability. Each battle that I win yields quite a few Lesser Charms. Poor/common/uncommon, I'll battle them all for a chance at collecting charms! It saves me from having to do other misc dailies.

I do agree that everyone will do what they feel is necessary to find the pet they are looking for, but remember to be courteous to your fellow pet collectors when hunting for those especially hard-to-find wild pets.
Image
Feel free to browse through Perks N Peeves, my vanity pet collecting blog!

User avatar
Waveryn
 
Posts: 128
Joined: December 5th, 2011
Pet Score: 4911
Realm: Shu'halo-US

Re: Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby Waveryn » March 10th, 2013, 7:57 am

Ruzgofdi wrote:Okay. Random thought: What needs to be uncommon or better to earn the team a stay of sentence?

Lets say I start a battle with an Elder Python. The Python itself is poor, but one of its two back up pets is a rare cockroach. I have an uncommon python and a rare cockroach already, and the third pet isn't worth mentioning. I'm going to back out of the fight. Do I let that trio live?

Anytime I find a rare I don't need no matter which pet it is I leave battle and mark the pet with a raid icon. :D
Last edited by Waveryn on March 10th, 2013, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Syrrie
MVP
 
Posts: 152
Joined: August 10th, 2008
Pet Score: 5132
BattleTag®: Syrrie#1506
Realm: Silver Hand-US

Re: Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby Syrrie » March 10th, 2013, 8:47 am

Quintessence wrote:I generally don't forfeit a wild battle unless I forgot to switch out a pet/ability. Each battle that I win yields quite a few Lesser Charms. Poor/common/uncommon, I'll battle them all for a chance at collecting charms! It saves me from having to do other misc dailies.

I do agree that everyone will do what they feel is necessary to find the pet they are looking for, but remember to be courteous to your fellow pet collectors when hunting for those especially hard-to-find wild pets.


I haven't done too many wild pet battles since patch hit, but I've gotten around 250 lesser charms mostly from tamer dailies and beasts of fable fights. The drop rate is quite impressive, I have to say, as before I struggled to even hit the 90/week mark since I despise dailies.

As to the rare thing: On the isle of thunder I, personally, haven't been hunting pets that hard since the phasing issues on top of all the mobs is just too frustrating. I have, however, managed to snag 3/4 rare quality with only casually looking for pets. Last time I was on the island I checked pet spawns, but mostly left them alone if they didn't have the upgrade I needed since they're still pretty heavily camped.
Image Image

User avatar
Mehetabel
Top Rater
 
Posts: 383
Joined: November 2nd, 2012
Pet Score: 4940
Realm: Lightbringer-EU

Re: Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby Mehetabel » March 10th, 2013, 9:01 am

GilroyKilroy wrote:If they are poor/common then I will retreat and nuke the pet so it will respawn something else. Uncommon I will leave up for someone else. Rare I take for myself :) (unless I have one already of that breed.)

This is how I've been doing it too.
Image

User avatar
Ruzgofdi
MVP
 
Posts: 124
Joined: December 31st, 2007
Pet Score: 4033
BattleTag®: TrojanRat#1907
Realm: Zangarmarsh-US

Re: Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby Ruzgofdi » March 10th, 2013, 9:41 am

Quintessence wrote:I generally don't forfeit a wild battle unless I forgot to switch out a pet/ability. Each battle that I win yields quite a few Lesser Charms. Poor/common/uncommon, I'll battle them all for a chance at collecting charms! It saves me from having to do other misc dailies.


Syrrie wrote:I haven't done too many wild pet battles since patch hit, but I've gotten around 250 lesser charms mostly from tamer dailies and beasts of fable fights. The drop rate is quite impressive, I have to say, as before I struggled to even hit the 90/week mark since I despise dailies.


Yeah. When I'm up over 700 on lesser charms thanks to grinding wild pets to level my rares, finishing a fight for the chance to get more lesser charms has about the same motiviation level as finishing a fight for the chance of a flawless stone (just based on the odds of getting a flawless stone from a single fight; if I was getting flawless stones as fast as I was getting lesser charms, every battle would be fought to the end).

I thought I'd see more people saying not to kill pets. I guess it's just the old "hunter looking for a rare skin spawn to tame" in me.

And do not worry. I'm not going to kill low spawn rate pets to improve the quality of their spawns. I still feel bad about the Festival Hatchling that got caught in the crossfire on my old pvp server, and those at least have a set time of when you should know to look for them.

User avatar
Mowse
 
Posts: 48
Joined: June 22nd, 2010
Pet Score: 2572
Realm: Kel'Thuzad-US

Re: Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby Mowse » March 10th, 2013, 10:26 am

Iconyx wrote:
For super-rare wild pets, if you unnecessarily nuke the ones you don't want, I will find you, and I will kill you.


xD

I was in Tanaris last week and some guy was boasting in /1 that he had killed around 30 sand scarabs trying to find a rare. I was just like..if you weren't of my faction..

User avatar
Index
 
Posts: 306
Joined: October 30th, 2012
Pet Score: 5035
Realm: Azjol-Nerub-EU

Re: Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby Index » March 10th, 2013, 10:48 am

I saw the same on my realm (tho the moron was CRZ - Draenor EU) with the minfernals. He was camping almost 24/7 and killing everything until HE got HIS rare pet.

When I was hunting them, I'd always alt+f4 out of a battle to leave one standing :(

Some people have a nasty combination of greed and ignorance it seems...

User avatar
Jalad
 
Posts: 43
Joined: August 10th, 2010
Pet Score: 3765
BattleTag®: Jalad#1735
Realm: Draenor-US

Re: Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby Jalad » March 10th, 2013, 4:17 pm

Ruzgofdi wrote:As of 5.2, retreating from a wild battle does two things:
1) It injures the team of pets you started the battle with.
2) It respawns the team you've retreated from.

So, the plan I've been working with has been to start a battle to check for rares. If I don't find one, I retreat and take the damage. If I do find one, I retreat and take the damage, heal my team, and re-start the battle.

After today's rounds on the Thunder Isle, having seen nothing but poor and common teams, I'm wondering if others maybe doing the same thing, which eventually leads to nothing spawned but teams that rare hunters don't want. And there's a small, dark part of me thinking maybe an "accident" with an ability would get a better team to spawn in it's place.

Thoughts?



.... Why the heck have I not thought of that, re: retreating and healing up! Thank you :P

I dislike nuking pets, especially on Isle of Thunder, but I will probably end up resorting to it for the frogs and snakes. Just not enough of the flappers and gators spawning :/ I have one of each, but no rares.

I may take the time to fight out the battles for leveling purposes, too. But once that is done? Battles can take so long (it feels like), and my time to rare hunt is limited enough...

User avatar
Threnody
 
Posts: 274
Joined: November 27th, 2012
Pet Score: 3078
Realm: Dragonblight-US

Re: Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby Threnody » March 11th, 2013, 2:32 am

Waveryn wrote:Anytime I find a rare I don't need no matter which pet it is I leave battle and mark the pet with a raid icon. :D


I do the same. Sometimes I announce the coords on zone general chat too, but so far I haven't seen anyone swoop in after my announcements...

Delinda
 
Posts: 59
Joined: October 15th, 2012
Pet Score: 4115
Realm: Дракономор-EU

Re: Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby Delinda » March 11th, 2013, 4:47 am

GilroyKilroy wrote:If they are poor/common then I will retreat and nuke the pet so it will respawn something else. Uncommon I will leave up for someone else. Rare I take for myself :) (unless I have one already of that breed.)

I do the same. I have caught the frog, electric thingy (elemental) and python (all green) and the fourth wild pet is yet to be seen.

User avatar
Restofarian
Top Rater
 
Posts: 264
Joined: December 2nd, 2012
Pet Score: 4064
BattleTag®: Restofarian#1262
Realm: Azralon-US

Re: Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby Restofarian » March 11th, 2013, 6:08 am

Quintessence wrote:I generally don't forfeit a wild battle unless I forgot to switch out a pet/ability. Each battle that I win yields quite a few Lesser Charms. Poor/common/uncommon, I'll battle them all for a chance at collecting charms! It saves me from having to do other misc dailies.


Dont forget these fights can also give you family specific stones. I got an aquatic stone battling the new frog and imediatelly updated the next one I found with the breed I wanted. gg.

User avatar
Laraven
 
Posts: 244
Joined: November 19th, 2010
Pet Score: 4535
BattleTag®: LaRaven#1620
Realm: Korgath-US

Re: Rare Hunting: The Next Generation.

Postby Laraven » March 12th, 2013, 7:25 am

I'm glad I got all my rares done before 5.2. I did however need the new ones. With Phasing being an issue on the Island, and the new changes it was a pain. But I really reccomend killing the pets if no rare is found. This is how I got my new rares of all the island pets. These things spawn so quickly, your really not hurting anything by killing non-rares.
Image


Return to Pet Collecting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests