New Carps

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Mastr
MVP
Pet Score:13968
Realm:Burning Blade-us
Re: New Carps

Post by Mastr » April 9th, 2013, 11:58 am

Now just take those tokens and buy the cooking supplies to sell on AH and get a new mount or two.

Tryla
MVP
Pet Score:5334
Realm:Anub'arak-us

Post by Tryla » April 9th, 2013, 12:58 pm

Made it from stranger to exalted with Nat without seeing any of these...at least now I have a comfy fishing chair and hat to help with the grind!

Malibu12s
MVP
Pet Score:3491
BattleTag®:MaxVanquish#1244
Realm:Baelgun-us

Post by Malibu12s » April 9th, 2013, 1:25 pm

I went on the hunt for these pets. I took a gander at El's guide before doing so.. (Thanks El, your guides have been amazingly helpful.) I won the fishing tourney the last two weeks in a row. Got the pole, Got the boots. All i need now is line. I have been trying to reach the 810 skill level that El mentions in the guide.

While fishing for mimic in Krasarang with 755 skill level applied using pole, boots, gloves with +5 enchant, tuskarr spear, and pandaran fishing charm thingy, I caught a Tiny White Carp. I was under the impression that the white carp were only catchable from open waters in Vale of Eternal Blossoms. But NO. I caught mine in a reef octopus pool in Krasarang Wilds. (Near shieldwall dailies in the western side of the map.)

Interestingly, the Tiny White Carp shows as 1/1 in my pet journal. Are the carps the only pets you can have only one of? I thought we could have three of each pet. I also did not check to see if the carps are cageable, and thus sellable on the AH. I have never seen one on AH so I assume no.

Edit - I'm still not exhalted with Nat Pagle so I don't have his hat. That and the line are the last two things I need. One more fishing tourney and a few more rep gains and I should be at max level fishing and hopefully increase my chances of catching these elusive carp!

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » April 10th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Supposedly fishing level doesnt factor in at all because people have had low fishing and just cast no pole and get a carp in 10 catches and you can sit with 800 fishing for 12 hours amd not see one. Its just extreme RNG

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » April 10th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Formerruling wrote:Supposedly fishing level doesnt factor in at all because people have had low fishing and just cast no pole and get a carp in 10 catches and you can sit with 800 fishing for 12 hours amd not see one. Its just extreme RNG
Fishing skill has no impact in pools, but it definitely helps in open water because you won't catch as many "junk" fish. But RNG does play a big factor when the drop rate is so low.

Waveryn
Pet Score:13627
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Waveryn » April 11th, 2013, 5:13 am

I am beginning to think your account is assinged an RNG when created as my luck across 3 servers and 16 toons seems to make no difference whom I take to DM fair for an eye or use to fish for these carp while I continually see others get them all or even seconds on the eye and some fish on the same account. Whatever it is I am sick of it and lost track above 4500 casts and still have only the white carp. /cry baby :lol:
Wave

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » April 11th, 2013, 8:10 am

Gwenolyn wrote:
Formerruling wrote:Supposedly fishing level doesnt factor in at all because people have had low fishing and just cast no pole and get a carp in 10 catches and you can sit with 800 fishing for 12 hours amd not see one. Its just extreme RNG
Fishing skill has no impact in pools, but it definitely helps in open water because you won't catch as many "junk" fish. But RNG does play a big factor when the drop rate is so low.
It helps you catch "nonjunk" fish yes, but there is no data that shows it helps you catch the carp. People have caught the carps from a Golden Carp catch.

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » April 11th, 2013, 10:19 am

Just finished getting these yesterday afternoon; the green and blue took less than 300 casts each, red took around 500-600, and the white took a whopping 5k casts to get. Green was caught in a jade lungfish pool, red was caught in open water at the lake by Niauzo Temple, white was caught in a tiger gourmai pool, and blue was caught in a jeweled danio pool.

Spary
Pet Score:10075
Realm:Zirkel des Cenarius-eu

Post by Spary » April 12th, 2013, 1:59 am

Nat is also fascinated by my Fishing Skills - yet I have to see a single carp ...
I cannot imagine getting any of these in at least 1000 casts ... but I got my third Darkmoon Eye today ... damn luck ...

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » April 12th, 2013, 10:09 am

Hey folks

Waveryn made a post regarding rng that makes me wonder... I have had no luck with the carps
(only approx 5 or 6 hundred casts to date) but picked up 2 dm eyes in my last 10 times battling Feasal

The idea of RNG for certain items being based on a per account basis would make Blizzard's job easier

Of course it could be sour grapes from people whose # never hits a jackpot too

I read El's Anglin forums to try to tip the odds to my favor at carp catching and I'm willing to grind out the carps cause
I like the quiet boredom of a bit of daily fishing in wow .. cant wait to get the fishing chair
(just glad i resisted paying 40-50$ for the tcg chair)

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » April 13th, 2013, 10:54 pm

Got so sick of useless fishing with no pet carps that I just could not even stand WoW for a couple of weeks. Went back to Second Life and put out my spring landscape. I think I will stay away from the carp grind for now..all it does is make me lose interest in Wow. :|

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » April 14th, 2013, 6:38 am

Finally got a carp, the green one, after filling a guildbank tab with nothing but fish, getting an alt not only maxed in all cooking paths but also got him the cooking bell and another alt halfway to that point as well and oh yeah, made 3k from selling the more high value fish. I did give up on fishing from pools, all the moving around and repositioning proved to be too much hassle compared to parking an alt and fishing till max level. Oh yeah, that's another thing I did while fishing up that first carp, maxed 5 alts on fishing. At least at this rate I'm going to have a nice steady daily stream of ironpaw tokens from all the cooking bells I'll be buying the alts while working on the other three carps...

Syrrie
MVP
Pet Score:6201
BattleTag®:Syrrie#1506
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Syrrie » April 14th, 2013, 10:42 am

Malibu12s wrote:I was under the impression that the white carp were only catchable from open waters in Vale of Eternal Blossoms.
The blue carp is the one from the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, the white carp is from costal water/Kun-Lai Summit.
Interestingly, the Tiny White Carp shows as 1/1 in my pet journal. Are the carps the only pets you can have only one of? I thought we could have three of each pet.
Yes the carps are unique pets. There are several pets you can only have one of and though most of them are promotional pets a few are achievement pets.

And in regards to RNG and accounts; I'm fairly sure it'd actually be more complicated to code drops to check your account then just using a plain old random number generator roll. Random numbers are just random, that's all there is to it.
Image Image

Zelizi
Pet Score:2462
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Post by Zelizi » April 14th, 2013, 11:22 am

I have fished a little bit for them but I'm still cringing from all my already caught fishing pets. it took me 4 months to get the sea pony (Everyone was telling me half an hour tops HA.) 8 months for the magical crawdad (One guild mate got 2 of them on 2 toons in less then an hour each.) it was a couple weeks before Cata that I go the sewer rat and well into Cata before I got the damn turtle. (We have 1k more fish for our achievement ~ after that I'm DONE fishing til the next expansion ~ typed it out in guild chat ~ 2 casts later finally a turtle.) Even the bag fishing pets (except the crab) took forever. (We won't go into instance dropped pets/mounts... there is a reason I buy the pets..)

Ishildur
Pet Score:4812
Realm:Uldum-us

Post by Ishildur » April 15th, 2013, 8:07 pm

Well, I figured out the trick to catching the carps... complain about it and they'll drop for you. Also, leveling alt's fishing. I caught the blue not long after the green. The white took a while but on the 13th alt it too got caught. Now I'm down to one more alt that isn't maxed on fishing, somehow I suspect the red carp will not be so accommodating as to be caught on the last alt's road to 600 fishing. Oh man, this sure has produced a lot of fish. 2nd alt is getting a cooking bell for sure now - I still have a guildtab full of fish and he now has 40 ironpaw tokens just from turning in golden carp and octopus.

Most of the alts were around 500ish fishing or a bit higher when I started, so it was not quite as much fishing as it seems. But I've fished way more than this on my main while waiting on a LFR queue to pop, so I'm wondering if it's somehow more beneficial to have low skill? Or it's the open water fishing I did, I certainly seemed to have much better luck fishing out of open water than out of pools. I used to do the daily pools on my main while waiting on queues and that got me nothing (except fish, a lot of fish, god so much fish).