Can you get seconds of arch pets/crawdad/etc?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Jalad
Pet Score:3765
BattleTag®:Jalad#1735
Realm:Draenor-us
Can you get seconds of arch pets/crawdad/etc?

Post by Jalad » February 28th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Hi all,

I apologize if this is somewhere on a site FAQ or whatnot, but I haven't been able to find it.

I am wondering if it is possible to get seconds of some of the pets, like the magical crawdad, the archaeology pets, the sewer rat, etc.?

To be specific... Say I have a crawling claw... if I do more Tolvir archaeology, is it possible to find another? Do I have to cage or sell the one I have in order for a new one to pop up, etc.?

Help is appreciated :)

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Re: Can you get seconds of arch pets/crawdad/etc?

Post by Yalina » February 28th, 2013, 5:00 pm

The way I understand it, you can only get each archaeology rare once per character. To get a second claw, you'd have to raise a second character's archaeology high enough to work Tol'vir sites.

Not sure on the fishing pets like giant sewer rat or the crawdad.

Farnzworth
Pet Score:3484
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Post by Farnzworth » February 28th, 2013, 5:09 pm

they are unique to character pets. So you could fish or do arch on another toon and get a second one. another option is to just buy another off the AH, if spending gold isn't a problem i would go this route.

Klausv
Top Rater
Pet Score:6681
Realm:Mazrigos-eu

Post by Klausv » February 28th, 2013, 5:16 pm

I don't know if you can get more than 1 unique Archaeology pet per char. But you can definitely get multiple Archy pets on your account, if you have alts. I have two Fossilized Hatchlings that I got on two different chars. As for Crawdad and Sewer Rat I don't know.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » February 28th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Not sure if this still applies, but before MOP I did manage to fish up two Giant Sewer Rats on one toon. Sadly since I couldn't learn two at the time I had to throw away the second one.

Mykro9
MVP
Pet Score:4355
BattleTag®:mykro9#1585
Realm:Darrowmere-us

Post by Mykro9 » February 28th, 2013, 6:50 pm

Back before pet battle and account wide pets, people usually had one fishing alt that they used to fish up magic crawdad, and were able to get multiple 'drops' by fishing. I assume that you can still get multiple crawdads on one toon, the same as the sewer rat, though both are low drop rates, so it might not seem like you could more than one per toon.

As far as having multiples of a certain pet in your pet journal, each pet has a listing whether it is 'unique' or not. Achievement pets, like the jade tentacle and Venus are unique, as well as almost any of the pet store pets, or promotion pets, like the murlocs. Likewise, the only bought pets you can not have more than one of are the guild vendor pets like the armadillo and the dark phoenix hatchling.
Any tradeable pet you can have up to 3 in your journal, and infinite caged. Any quest pet, like the tiny flamefly you can have up to 3 in your journal, and only a few are tradeable, I think fishy is the only one there. Some are odd, in that you can trade it until you learn it, like the red cricket, and mechanical chicken, then they become non tradeable.

TL;DR: Look at the pet pane and it will list if a pet is tradeable and/or unique.
mykro9#1585

Jalad
Pet Score:3765
BattleTag®:Jalad#1735
Realm:Draenor-us

Post by Jalad » February 28th, 2013, 9:22 pm

Thanks everyone. Myrko makes a good point about the magical crawdad and now I'm wondering.... and that makes a lot of sense about archaeology now. I was considering trying to farm up some more of those pets for trading fodder, but probably will not if it means I have to level arch allll the way up on another toon xD

Pocketimp
Top Rater
Pet Score:5016
BattleTag®:Pocketimp#1179
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Pocketimp » March 1st, 2013, 4:38 pm

This was back when they first introduced Mr. Pinchy but at one point, I had 5 Magical Crawdads. I fished a lot of the mixed pools for lobsters for our tank. Plus I love fishing. I ended throwing them away. :(

Contesa
Pet Score:3999
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Contesa » March 2nd, 2013, 9:38 am

Jalad wrote:I was considering trying to farm up some more of those pets for trading fodder, but probably will not if it means I have to level arch allll the way up on another toon xD
Arch is actually a lot easier to level up now. You get skill points for every dig site all the way to 600, not just to 50. *mumbles something about spoiled kids getting off of her lawn* But at least on my server, the only arch pet worth over 1k on AH is the Crawling Claw, and getting the RNG to favor you with it can be much harder than leveling arch ever was. Mileage varies, of course.

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » March 2nd, 2013, 11:55 am

For the tol vir solves, I find the Pandaren turn ins to be more efficient, though I wish they would update the drops of keystones from the boxes.