Epic and/or legendary pets?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Chasmyr9922
Pet Score:2824
Realm:Arathor-us
Epic and/or legendary pets?

Post by Chasmyr9922 » February 8th, 2013, 9:08 pm

Greetings all

From what I have caught in game, I have not seen any epic and/or legendary quality pets. I have seen that
grandmaster pet tamera have them. Do these pets exist for players? If so
where does one find them?

Thanks

Mehetabel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13538
Realm:Lightbringer-eu

Re: Epic and/or legendary pets?

Post by Mehetabel » February 8th, 2013, 9:11 pm

They don't currently exist for us players to have unfortunately. But I believe they ARE adding a few epic quality pets in 5.2. From what I've read, they will be stand-alone wild pets that will take a whole team to beat. No word on legendary pets yet, as far as I know.
Come join us in the WarcraftPets In-Game Community (EU)! Request invite here: https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18420

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » February 8th, 2013, 10:25 pm

They will be non-capturable epic pets FYI. Breanni just put those on the pet score list, so they don't have to mess with the scores too much once/if added to the game for capture.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » February 8th, 2013, 11:00 pm

Epic and Legendary pets are not yet available to players. For now, they exist only as NPCs and on Tamer teams.

Developers have mentioned that they're considering adding a way to obtain an epic pet in the future, but there's no word on when and if that will actually happen.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Almeisan
Pet Score:3703
BattleTag®:Izzy#2370
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Almeisan » February 9th, 2013, 5:44 pm

I've heard a rumor about something with regards to epic pets coming in 5.2?

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » February 9th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Almeisan wrote:I've heard a rumor about something with regards to epic pets coming in 5.2?
As far as I know, there are no plans to include player obtained epic or legendary pets in 5.2. Perhaps the rumor is referring to the "Elite Battle Pets" which are pet NPCs and part of the new quest chain to obtain the panda pets?
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Tinuthien
Top Rater
Pet Score:2415
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Tinuthien » February 13th, 2013, 7:24 pm

Gwenolyn wrote:They will be non-capturable epic pets FYI. Breanni just put those on the pet score list, so they don't have to mess with the scores too much once/if added to the game for capture.
I hope they don't add them in later as capturable. Then I'll have to start collecting all over again!

Spyro
Pet Score:3317
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Spyro » February 15th, 2013, 6:46 am

I hope there is some sort of limitation on Epic and Legendary pets. I think it should be impossable to make every pet in your collection Epic or Legendary. Someting like you can only have 10 epics, and legendary pets will be speciffic pets you have perform great feats to obtain.

Casca
Top Rater
Pet Score:5184
BattleTag®:Chiba#2767
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Casca » February 15th, 2013, 8:57 am

Spyro wrote:I hope there is some sort of limitation on Epic and Legendary pets. I think it should be impossable to make every pet in your collection Epic or Legendary. Someting like you can only have 10 epics, and legendary pets will be speciffic pets you have perform great feats to obtain.
That would make sense on one hand, but kind of not work with the current design at all. Since rarity also defines the stats, epic or legendary pets would have better stats than all other pets, which means everyone would be using only those few pets, at least in PvP, as they would probably be more or less mandatory to be competitive.
So I'm not sure how they're going to solve this if they ever plan to add epic/legendary pets for players to acquire.

Spyro
Pet Score:3317
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Spyro » February 15th, 2013, 3:06 pm

Casca wrote:
Spyro wrote:I hope there is some sort of limitation on Epic and Legendary pets. I think it should be impossable to make every pet in your collection Epic or Legendary. Someting like you can only have 10 epics, and legendary pets will be speciffic pets you have perform great feats to obtain.
That would make sense on one hand, but kind of not work with the current design at all. Since rarity also defines the stats, epic or legendary pets would have better stats than all other pets, which means everyone would be using only those few pets, at least in PvP, as they would probably be more or less mandatory to be competitive.
So I'm not sure how they're going to solve this if they ever plan to add epic/legendary pets for players to acquire.
That would be assumong the stats would be enough to overpower ability an family types.

Makominami
Pet Score:1241
Realm:Cenarius-us

Post by Makominami » February 15th, 2013, 8:13 pm

Quintessence wrote:Epic and Legendary pets are not yet available to players. For now, they exist only as NPCs and on Tamer teams.

Developers have mentioned that they're considering adding a way to obtain an epic pet in the future, but there's no word on when and if that will actually happen.
This is correct , but even vs them they don't seem that much stronger than normal rare pets.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » February 16th, 2013, 12:06 am

Rather than simply looting an epic quality pet, I think all pets should be manually "trained" up to epic though quests or stones, etc. At least for a while. Until many have upgraded part or most of their collections to epic, I don't think an epic quality pet should exist naturally.

Eventually, after people start upgrading to a higher quality it'll become the new standard, and the status quo will go up without creating a huge gap between the "haves" and "have nots" (the "RNG was kind to me today!" and the "RNG hates me" heh).

Just my thoughts on it. It'll be interesting to see how developers implement it in the future. :)

Casca
Top Rater
Pet Score:5184
BattleTag®:Chiba#2767
Realm:Outland-eu

Post by Casca » February 16th, 2013, 4:48 am

Spyro wrote: That would be assumong the stats would be enough to overpower ability an family types.
Well, just look at the top trainers in the game now. Some of them can be really difficult, even with a perfect team.
But I have faith in Blizzard that they will come up with a well-implemented way of getting epic/legendary pets. If that actually ever happens.

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » February 18th, 2013, 8:52 am

I would like to see something along the lines of a weekly upgrade quest line. It can go something like once a week you can pick a team of 3 level 25 pets and start a quest chain that lasts for 3-6 quests that involves everything from master tamer battles, possible a pvp battle, x amount of pandarian wild battles etc. That way it doesn't involve having to do a daily everyday. It wont allow people with a ton of time on their hands a way to become to overpowered over someone that has limited play time. And with it being able to make 3 pets epic a week it will let us upgrade our favorite teams one at a time.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Aerozia
Pet Score:8990
BattleTag®:Aerozia#1505
Realm:Skullcrusher-us

Post by Aerozia » February 19th, 2013, 4:44 am

A weekly quest chain for epic pets sounds good. But for legendary, I think we should only get one.make a battle stone that upgrades to legendary. Give us a long fun questline, and at the end we get a stone. Either it works like a flawless battle stone now, works on any pet.our we get a completely random stone.

The questline could be to go back and defeat all the gamers again, this time they have epic level twenty five pets.and to get the quest you have to have at least one hundred level twenty five pets.
The could be more quests, and stuff.

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840

Post by Badpathing » February 19th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Aerozia wrote:A weekly quest chain for epic pets sounds good. But for legendary, I think we should only get one.make a battle stone that upgrades to legendary. Give us a long fun questline, and at the end we get a stone. Either it works like a flawless battle stone now, works on any pet.our we get a completely random stone.

The questline could be to go back and defeat all the gamers again, this time they have epic level twenty five pets.and to get the quest you have to have at least one hundred level twenty five pets.
The could be more quests, and stuff.
Due to the nature of the pet system, I cannot back the 1-legendary idea. I get it, I do, but you have to keep in mind all the moving parts of the pet system. What if, for example, such a system existed and you elected to make FFF your legendary.

5.2, whoops.

The thing is, there are SO many types of pets and abilities that the idea of a legendary pet really is not in the same league as a legendary weapon (for instance). I mean, look at all the legendary pets the trainers have; I am simply saying that a precedent has already been set to some extent.

I like the idea mentioned above of a weekly quest chain. Maybe a legendary upgrade or something. Or, just unique legendary pets that are added with respective quest chains, etc.

I guess my overall point is that the legendary pets should not be compared, quality-wise, to the caliber of a legendary weapon questline.

Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840

Post by Badpathing » February 19th, 2013, 4:31 pm

As an added note, my main interest in higher quality pets is simply to make the dailies easier. I really enjoyed the pet trainer dailies....for the first couple of weeks or so.

Now, I find myself getting frustrated at all the bugs (dive missing constantly, suspicious patterns in attacks like nexus whelp ALWAYS critting on the third, etc) and starting to hate the time sink...but at the same time, I really, REALLY want those stones to upgrade all my pets.