Pet Python

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Bluerou
Pet Score:1798
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us
Pet Python

Post by Bluerou » January 16th, 2013, 10:15 pm

As someone who keeps snakes irl... OMG THAT PYTHON PET IS SO CUTE!!! I about DIED! Whoever designed him MUST have a python irl. He kinda looks like a retic, so I wonder if he'll be big! I hope there's more color morphs and more adorable pythons like this! Hnnng... my heart... so much cute... that face... that adorable face... <3

I can't post a link but take a look at the Warcraftpet news and the WoWhead link. Just... gah! So much love!

Mrbeankc
Pet Score:4299
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Re: Pet Python

Post by Mrbeankc » January 17th, 2013, 1:35 am

Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?

Notamonk
Pet Score:833
Realm:Firetree-us

Post by Notamonk » January 17th, 2013, 9:54 am

I agree Blue. This is by far the best snake model they have ever introduced in the game. It looks amazing.. regardless of how much I dislike them.. lol

Bluerou

Post by Bluerou » January 17th, 2013, 2:57 pm

I really hope there's more of them, it's just gorgeous. :) As a snake keeper and advocate irl (they are shy beneficial animals who experience fear and pain just like any other animal, and there is NO such thing as a slimy snake unless we're talking newborns but if that counts Humans are slimy too /lecture ;) ) I'm totally just blown away by this model. The eyes, the cheeks, the heat pits... So much love.

Blizz has come a long way in models and textures. <3

Jin
Pet Score:5378
Realm:Eonar-eu

Post by Jin » January 17th, 2013, 3:26 pm

They are adorable.

I'd love one that resembles those brown pattered snakes with red tails! :D

Bluerou

Post by Bluerou » January 17th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Red tailed boa! :D

Yeah, there's a lot of opportunity for color swaps here!

Orthrus
Pet Score:1246
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Orthrus » January 17th, 2013, 3:41 pm

Just looked at it on WoWHead's model viewer... and I must agree -- it looks fantastic! The texture and the eyes are spectacular. :) And yes, hopefully there will be some recolours/color swaps. A green or blue one would be great!

Tweak
Top Rater
Pet Score:8842
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Tweak » January 17th, 2013, 4:05 pm

I love the model and would also love to see it in more colors.

What annoys me however is that it's being used on new snake pets for the Isle of Giants and isn't being used to replace one of the dozen or two old snakes that use the same recycled and rehashed models.

I've been saying since beta that they really needed to go in and do a pass to add more variety to all the rats/snakes/bunnies/frogs/moths/roaches etc. It's completely ridiculous that 11 roach pets share one look exclusively, and like 2, maybe 3 movesets between them.

I really would have liked to have seen this new python model be a start to something like that. Used to replace the model of one of those snakes that are simple "black kingsnake" clones.

Pretty model though, nonetheless.

le sigh.

Bluerou

Post by Bluerou » January 17th, 2013, 4:48 pm

I agree, it would be lovely to see the old ones updated. Especially if it's the pythons and the colubrids (rat snakes, king snakes etc) get a different model... but I'll take what I can get. In fact, a viper model with an arrow shaped head would be amazing too!

The overused roaches are disappointing. When I heard Vash'ir would have giant isopods I was excited pre-Cata then when I got down there... just roaches. :/ If they changed the model and made them tamable I would SO be running around with giant isopod pets on certain characters.

It's kind of like with movies. When you know a lot about animals it can make suspension of disbelief hard. :?

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » January 18th, 2013, 5:47 am

There isn't a whole lot they can do to add variety to the roaches - they said as much in the interview a month or two ago. But they did say they were wanting to upgrade some of the others for which they felt that more varied models were possible. I don't remember the species they listed, but I do know frog was one. Possibly snakes (such as this new one) and turtles maybe?

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » January 18th, 2013, 6:15 am

It's beyond me that they've kept the generic cockroach model for the pet 'locust', despite having prefectly good cricket models in game now!

And it doesn't even have 'consume' or 'devour' :p

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » January 18th, 2013, 1:28 pm

Bluerou wrote:When I heard Vash'ir would have giant isopods I was excited pre-Cata. :/ If they changed the model and made them tamable I would SO be running around with giant isopod pets on certain characters.
As you can imagine, I'd love to have isopod pets too :)
Gilneas wrote:There isn't a whole lot they can do to add variety to the roaches.
I beg to differ!

Back on topic, I do love the new snake. Hopefully we will eventually get it in a range of colors. And of course, I'd love to tame one as a hunter pet Serpent.
Mingyao on Madoran

Diamondsoul
Pet Score:13082
BattleTag®:Beegkitty#1715
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Diamondsoul » January 18th, 2013, 2:07 pm

GormanGhaste wrote:
Bluerou wrote:When I heard Vash'ir would have giant isopods I was excited pre-Cata. :/ If they changed the model and made them tamable I would SO be running around with giant isopod pets on certain characters.
As you can imagine, I'd love to have isopod pets too :)
Gilneas wrote:There isn't a whole lot they can do to add variety to the roaches.
I beg to differ!
EEEEEEEEEECK! I looked at the link for the roach crossing website. I knew better! I should not have looked!

MORE things to inhabit my nightmares!

*shudders*

Tweak
Top Rater
Pet Score:8842
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Tweak » January 20th, 2013, 6:09 pm

GormanGhaste wrote:
I beg to differ!
And quite frankly... those are still just their options that draw from real life.

This is a FANTASY game. They aren't limited to the scope of real life options. They could have blue roaches, green roaches, purple roaches, glowing roaches, giant roaches, ethereal roaches, and a dozen other imaginary roaches in between. (Some of which would fit with the names/capture locations of these roaches quite well, in fact.)

I don't believe for a minute that they just CAN'T add more variety to roaches (or other pets). This feels like one of those situations where we could complain about it for years, and the answer we get will always just be "Would you rather we spent developer time fixing old pets, or adding new ones?"

I can't speak for everyone, but my answer is FIXING OLD ONES! (Because in doing so, we're still essentially getting new ones ANYWAY. You can sacrifice some of my 11 clones roaches for some new ones Blizzard. It's okay. :P)

I really hope some dedicated pet collector asks them about this live at the next Blizzcon, because putting them on the spot in a live panel broadcast cross-country always seems to yield better/faster results than just complaining on the forums. (Just ask Red Shirt Guy.)