Earning battle stones?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Nearlysober
Top Rater
Pet Score:13614
Realm:Sargeras-us
Earning battle stones?

Post by Nearlysober » January 14th, 2013, 5:08 pm

One way to supposedly get more stones to drop is by going up against higher level opponents.

Does anyone know the specifics on what is considered higher level opponents?

For example: Lets say I have two level 10 pets and one level 25 on a team.

If I go up against higher level pets only using 1 or 2 of my level 10's... does that count? Or does simply having my level 25 on the roster count against me?

If I just have my level 10 pet take the first turn, then finish everyone off with my level 25, does that still count? (it does for my level 10's xp boost)

And in reverse of the previous... does the "last pet to act" have any bearing on it? If I pull in the lower level pet for the final killing blow?

I ask, because while I'm not the most prolific pet battle player, I've done what I feel to be quite a few pet battles... and I've only gotten 1 stone, ever.

Saviya
Pet Score:11609
BattleTag®:Saviya#1875
Realm:Hyjal-us

Re: Earning battle stones?

Post by Saviya » January 14th, 2013, 6:06 pm

I'm not sure about the levels, but I've been leveling my pets on the hatchlings in dragonblight and I've gotten 3 flying stones from them over 3-4 days. Curious if, when someone answers yours, they can also answer whether what we're fighting affects the kind of stones we get?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » January 14th, 2013, 6:11 pm

I think "higher level" implies in general, rather than in relation to your pet team. So regardless of the level of your pet team, a level 25 wild pet should have a higher chance to drop a stone than a level 10 wild pet.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Zerdolf
Pet Score:2868
Realm:Doomhammer-us

Post by Zerdolf » January 14th, 2013, 9:39 pm

Supposedly the higher the level of the pet you are battling the higher your chances, regardless of your pets level. Also the stone that drops from the battle is supposed to match the type of the primary pet (the one you clicked on). RNG does play a factor in this and it can be of a different type. Just a couple of my own examples of this.

I was in dragonblight farming condor hatchlings for a rare and got 1 flying stone in about 2 hours of battling.

In Jade Forest I farmed serpent hatchlings until I got a dragon stone to use on Emerald Whelpling, took about an hour and a half.

I was in Krasarang Wilds farming Jungle Grubs (looking for rares and leveling pets) got extremely lucky and got 2 BoE stones in under an hour. But spent next 2 hours with nothing.

Funniest one is when I got a flying stone off of the trainer in Moonglade. It came from the battle and not the bag as I checked and saw it in my bag before I turned in the daily and got the supply bag.

These are just my examples and not a definitave answer to how they drop. I also have bad luck with stones most of the time.

:twisted:

Gromagrim
Pet Score:12896
Realm:Silvermoon-eu

Post by Gromagrim » January 15th, 2013, 11:58 am

I normally use the tamer bags as my source of battle stones. I do have one great story though, about getting the first of my two generic battle stones;

I went to Feralas to get a Stunted Yeti in the week of patch 5.1. I flew over the area to see if any were up and saw a single pawprint underground. I went down, hunted around the cave and found it, expecting to capture a poor or common and to leave my alt there for another day.

Started battlign and found it was a rare (they only have one breed)! Excited I feathered his HP down, not wanting to kill it with an accidental crit, but managed to capture him, AND he also gave me my first Battle stone: A Flawless Generic one!

Nearlysober
Top Rater

Post by Nearlysober » January 16th, 2013, 3:48 pm

Zerdolf wrote:Supposedly the higher the level of the pet you are battling the higher your chances, regardless of your pets level. Also the stone that drops from the battle is supposed to match the type of the primary pet (the one you clicked on). RNG does play a factor in this and it can be of a different type. Just a couple of my own examples of this.

I was in dragonblight farming condor hatchlings for a rare and got 1 flying stone in about 2 hours of battling.
Ah, that would make sense.

I farmed those hatchlings a lot prior to stones being introduced (good place to level with the pet healer so close) but over the last week I spent a lot of time farming rares and expanding my collection in lower zones. I'll spend some time farming battles in Pandaria and see if that helps my luck :)

Notamonk
Pet Score:833
Realm:Firetree-us

Post by Notamonk » January 16th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Gromagrim wrote:I normally use the tamer bags as my source of battle stones. I do have one great story though, about getting the first of my two generic battle stones;

I went to Feralas to get a Stunted Yeti in the week of patch 5.1. I flew over the area to see if any were up and saw a single pawprint underground. I went down, hunted around the cave and found it, expecting to capture a poor or common and to leave my alt there for another day.

Started battlign and found it was a rare (they only have one breed)! Excited I feathered his HP down, not wanting to kill it with an accidental crit, but managed to capture him, AND he also gave me my first Battle stone: A Flawless Generic one!
Can you tell me what your daily rituals and sacrifices to the RNG gods are to get it that good? Lol

I've gotten 2 battles stones off of wild pets (Think I'm at almost 1k now) and 2 from bags after 2-3 weeks of dailies... :(

Nearlysober
Top Rater

Post by Nearlysober » January 30th, 2013, 6:23 pm

I got a bit more serious about doing the dailies, particularly the Pandaria and while I'm not swimming in stones, I've seen many more in the last two weeks than I ever did before.

The dailies seem to be the way to do it. If you want to get a bit more serious about farming the dailies for stones I highly recommend Pet Battle Teams (you can find a link in the Addons section of this site). Make a team that it optimized for each trainer, name it after the trainer... and you're set. Pull up the team and claim your quick bag... then cross your fingers :)

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » January 30th, 2013, 7:52 pm

Nearlysober wrote:The dailies seem to be the way to do it. If you want to get a bit more serious about farming the dailies for stones I highly recommend Pet Battle Teams (you can find a link in the Addons section of this site). Make a team that it optimized for each trainer, name it after the trainer... and you're set. Pull up the team and claim your quick bag... then cross your fingers :)
That's what I do. I did read one other post here that said all you need was a FFF and Anub Idol. I tried that and was mostly successful but the fights seemed to last longer than using my tamer specific teams. I did need a moth against Dor the Wall (perfect pet for him since the CD on the cocoon exactly matches Dor's attack (3 turns) so you take zero damage.)

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » January 31st, 2013, 3:21 pm

Oddly enough, all of my battle stones so far have come from wild pet battles (even several flawless generic ones). Obviously, higher level pets drop more stones, especially, it seems, in Northrend and Pandaria.

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » January 31st, 2013, 4:48 pm

The only generic stone I've received, and frankly, the only one I've received at all from wild pet battles, came from a strider near Aki the Chosen.

Yalina
MVP
Pet Score:3448
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Yalina » January 31st, 2013, 6:22 pm

Early in 5.1, I got a number of stones in one night. There was a sandstorm in Tanaris and the silithid hatchlings were respawning like crazy, so I was leveling my level 1s to 15ish with my turnip and my level 25 bear while trying to find a rare silithid. (Before anyone yells, they were respawning very quickly, and if I noticed another character nearby, I moved to the other hive. I know they're rare.) I got two stones in Tanaris (one a BOE) and then once the sandstorm was over, I got an aquatic in Un'Goro. I thought it extremely odd that I got so many from Tanaris and Un'Goro, especially in such a small window. However, attempts to recreate that scenario have not produced any stones, so it was likely just incredible luck to counter the lack of a rare Silithid Hatchling.

I've never noticed an actual connection between the wild pets and the type of stone. Aside from that night, stones from wild pets I remember are a BOE off a hare in the Hinterlands, and a beast stone off a Spawn of Onyxia. The majority of my stones have come from tamer bags.

Otudas
MVP
Pet Score:3742
Realm:Muradin-us

Post by Otudas » January 31st, 2013, 9:22 pm

I go the tamer route in Pandaria for stones. It is pretty inconsistent. I will go for days without anything, but one day I might get three stones. I have only ever gotten the BOE stones off pet battles, however, not from the pet supplies bags.

All in all fairly random. I do maintain teams for each trainer, however I do find consistent uses of minidiablo for most flyers (moths are still tough with him) and the Gilnean Raven (upgraded to a blue) for battling most aquatic types. FFF is a good stand in for many. I recently found a P/P spider, however, who just kills critter tamer pets. So I would recommend looking at using those types as well.

-Otudas