Share pet collecting news and advice.
Thehermit
MVP
Pet Score:3453
BattleTag®:TheHermit#1132
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us
MoP Beta Pet Trading

Post by Thehermit » April 12th, 2012, 12:01 am

In the patch that went live tonight there is a new option when you right click a pet in the pet journal to "Put In Cage". It removes the pet from your journal and gives you a tradable item with some flavor text of the pet name and stats. Right now it looks as though no matter what pet you cage it always learns Hyacinth Macaw but I would assume this means you will soon be able to trade any leveled pet.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2175208/WoWScrnShot_041212_005508.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2175208/WoWScrnShot_041212_005902.jpg

Mastr
MVP
Pet Score:13968
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Re: MoP Beta Pet Trading

Post by Mastr » April 12th, 2012, 10:10 am

So if you trade a pet you no longer have it in your inventory? If so, does it remove it from your whole account?

Or, does each player now have each others pets as well as what they started out with? If this is the case soon everyone will have every pet.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » April 12th, 2012, 10:39 am

Mastr wrote:So if you trade a pet you no longer have it in your inventory? If so, does it remove it from your whole account?

Or, does each player now have each others pets as well as what they started out with? If this is the case soon everyone will have every pet.
Here are more details about the current iteration of the pet cage: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com/2012/04/pet-cage-preview.html

Currently, it only disappears from your Pet Journal. If you have the pet learned on a specific toon, it will remain in your spellbook companion tab. It's unclear if this will stay this way once the Pet Journal is fully implemented.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Mastr
MVP

Post by Mastr » April 12th, 2012, 11:31 am

So it looks like you will be able to give away whatever pets you have and still have them in your spellbook. Not sure if that is what they intended because just one person has to get a pet who can then give it to everyone in the game.

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » April 12th, 2012, 11:34 am

I'm sure things are still changing, but as it's described now it wouldn't be in your pet journal anymore, so you wouldn't have it to give away again.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Mastr
MVP

Post by Mastr » April 12th, 2012, 12:07 pm

But if the spell to summon a pet remains in the individual toon's spellbook, can you just then readd the pet to your pet journal?
Probably still a work in progress.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » April 12th, 2012, 1:41 pm

Mastr wrote:But if the spell to summon a pet remains in the individual toon's spellbook, can you just then readd the pet to your pet journal?
Probably still a work in progress.
Nope. to re-add it you have to have the actual pet item. An example: The pet item - Brazie's Sunflower Seeds vs. the pet spell - Singing Sunflower. You can't re-add it to your Pet Journal with just the spell.

On top of that, if you already know the spell, you can't use the pet item again on that toon. You have to use a different character who doesn't already know the pet spell to re-add it into the Pet Journal.

At least that's how it works at the moment. Definitely still a work in progress!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Mastr
MVP

Post by Mastr » April 12th, 2012, 10:23 pm

So if I'm understanding this correctly, we will get a a onetime chance to put all our pets from our various toons on one account onto the pet journal when MoP in installed. After that we can then use the Journal for playing the mini-game, naming, and trading.

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » April 12th, 2012, 10:55 pm

How it will work when fully implemented is speculation.. Maybe pet spells on individual characters will go away, and it will only be the pet journal. Or maybe it will remain like it is in beta and you'll still have both.

From what Quint said about the beta, they just show up in the pet journal if you own them. People in beta didn't actually do anything to "add" them to the journal. But if you trade that pet away with the journal, the only way you can get it into the pet journal again, is by learning that pet spell on a toon that never had it before. (But you still don't actually do anything to "put" it into your pet journal after you learn it, you just learn it on a toon that doesn't have it yet and it will show up in the journal.)

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » April 13th, 2012, 12:19 am

Lysi wrote:From what Quint said about the beta, they just show up in the pet journal if you own them. People in beta didn't actually do anything to "add" them to the journal. But if you trade that pet away with the journal, the only way you can get it into the pet journal again, is by learning that pet spell on a toon that never had it before. (But you still don't actually do anything to "put" it into your pet journal after you learn it, you just learn it on a toon that doesn't have it yet and it will show up in the journal.)
Exactly! Sorry if the way I worded it confused things. >_<

Gaijin
Pet Score:9380
Realm:Goldrinn-us

Post by Gaijin » April 14th, 2012, 9:48 am

In my simple mind, if you sell a pet you should lost the pet until you get it again, and probably in the future your spell book and your pet journal will be synchronized. Because for me the important is summon the pet to be with you, does not matter if it is in your spell bookor journal and makes no sense there is 2 differents place to pet stay. ok maybe your journal is a bit more important than the spellbook because they can also fight for you.

But if they synchronize the spellbook and the journal what will happen with pets like onixya, or even the blizzard store pets, that I can learn them one time after other just creating a new char. They will stop to work?
IF it stay like now with every new char have the pet I really need start to save some gold to buy (or at least convince some friends to donate them to me) some collection edition pets like when MoP arrive.
Last edited by Gaijin on April 14th, 2012, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mastr
MVP

Post by Mastr » April 14th, 2012, 3:11 pm

Thats a good point about the bind to account pets like the CE ones. If you trade away your Zergling all you would have to do to reacquire it is to make a new character. I'm guessing they will exclude the CE pets and make them untradeable. If they don't, I and many like me won't bother with buying the latest CE and just wheedle one from a friend.

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » April 14th, 2012, 5:22 pm

Personally, I think they'll either be doing away with the spellbook companion tab completely (leaving just the Pet Journal) OR making it so that any action taken in the Pet Journal directly affects your toon's spellbook. So trading away a pet from the journal would also mean that particular toon would lose the pet from their spellbook as well.

They had a disclaimer from the very beginning that "most" pets would be tradable. If there are any exceptions I'd guess that CE pets, companions that are Bind on Battle.net, and very rare/exclusive pets will be put on the no-trading list. IMO, it's a can of worms to allow the sale and trade of such highly sought after pets, not to mention it could potentially impact the sale of certain Blizzard items *cough*.

That isn't to say I wouldn't love to be able to finally own the original CE pets as well as many other pets, but if having the ability to do that is something that causes more bad than good for the pet collecting community, I can go without.

Gaijin
Pet Score:9380
Realm:Goldrinn-us

Post by Gaijin » April 14th, 2012, 8:44 pm

Quintessence wrote: but if having the ability to do that is something that causes more bad than good for the pet collecting community, I can go without.
I cant imagine how trade CE or even some rare pet could do any bad for the pet collecting community.

Ok maybe some ppl could be mad for their pet is not so exclusive, but I think (or at least i really wanna believe in that) that the majority of pet collector arent that kind of ppl that desire a pet only for themselves. I use to be happy when everyone get a new pet, even those that i cant buy.

My best guess is, all blizzard store pets will not be tradeable, but maybe some old CE (who knows?) would be. but lets w8 and see

Quintessence
Site Admin

Post by Quintessence » April 15th, 2012, 1:55 am

Gaijin wrote:
Quintessence wrote: but if having the ability to do that is something that causes more bad than good for the pet collecting community, I can go without.
I cant imagine how trade CE or even some rare pet could do any bad for the pet collecting community.

Ok maybe some ppl could be mad for their pet is not so exclusive, but I think (or at least i really wanna believe in that) that the majority of pet collector arent that kind of ppl that desire a pet only for themselves. I use to be happy when everyone get a new pet, even those that i cant buy.

My best guess is, all blizzard store pets will not be tradeable, but maybe some old CE (who knows?) would be. but lets w8 and see
By "bad for the community" I mean cause any unnecessary drama. There are some who feel the same way you do, and others who don't. Neither side is absolutely right/wrong, and to each their own opinion.

Still, I don't think the community as a whole will ever come to an agreement how rare/CE/exclusive pets should be treated when it comes to possibly trading and selling them. Because of this, my mentality is to just avoid the whole debate altogether and make them simply non-tradable/sellable.

We currently can't trade/sell these highly sought after pets to each other, so it wouldn't really be a loss if this way of handling the pets is simply continued. It wouldn't be as if Blizzard were taking away anything from us, so why open up a can of worms when you don't really have to, yenno?

But that's just IMHO. Blizzard will ultimately make the decision (and I don't envy them with having the tough job of choosing one way or another!) :P

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » April 15th, 2012, 10:16 am

The kind of trading we're talking about wouldn't technically change the rarity of the pet, just the owner. Of course people will try to talk friends, who haven't played for years, into coming back just long enough to get their pets, lol. But the main reason you'll see more rare pets around, is just because people will be able to call them on all characters, all servers.

Maleika

Post by Maleika » April 15th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Quintessence wrote:
Gaijin wrote:

By "bad for the community" I mean cause any unnecessary drama. There are some who feel the same way you do, and others who don't. Neither side is absolutely right/wrong, and to each their own opinion.

Still, I don't think the community as a whole will ever come to an agreement how rare/CE/exclusive pets should be treated when it comes to possibly trading and selling them. Because of this, my mentality is to just avoid the whole debate altogether and make them simply non-tradable/sellable.

We currently can't trade/sell these highly sought after pets to each other, so it wouldn't really be a loss if this way of handling the pets is simply continued. It wouldn't be as if Blizzard were taking away anything from us, so why open up a can of worms when you don't really have to, yenno?

But that's just IMHO. Blizzard will ultimately make the decision (and I don't envy them with having the tough job of choosing one way or another!) :P

I for one DO NOT want to see any rare/CE/Blizz Store/exclusive pets being sold/traded (as much as I would be over the moon to have an original CE Panda pet). I paid good money for some of the pets I have and would be right miffed to see them all of a sudden being sold/traded in game. And thats not to say that I want my pets all to myself. If people want the purchasable pets, they should buy them and if they cant...well, I cant afford some of them either and thats why I dont have all the CE's and TCG. Let those that are lucky enough to have them keep them and be happy for those people.

Mastr
MVP

Post by Mastr » April 21st, 2012, 3:30 pm

This should clear up a lot of concerns:

"We plan to allow players to trade Blizzard Store pets excluding Guardian Cub (because it's not BoP and it's unique). Collector's edition and other limited edition pets (like Mini Tyrael or BlizzCon pets) will not be tradable, either."

I for one am really happy to hear this. I think all my battle teams will be the rares to razzle dazzle my opponents. I probably will need that edge!!

Maleika

Post by Maleika » April 22nd, 2012, 12:43 am

Mastr wrote:This should clear up a lot of concerns:

"We plan to allow players to trade Blizzard Store pets"

So not happy about this....But everyone who reads posts already knows that >:/

Brink
Pet Score:2858
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Brink » May 6th, 2012, 12:40 pm

my question is how would this work for a pet like murky? we have the egg and will always have the egg to send to any toon we want so they can have the pet. i am interested to see how they fix this one.