MoP and cross faction pets

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Mastr
MVP
Pet Score:14000
Realm:Burning Blade-us
MoP and cross faction pets

Post by Mastr » April 11th, 2012, 9:22 pm

I read that cross faction pets will show up in your inventory. Is this true?
This would be troubling news for a completionist collector like myself. As a horde player if I wanted the alliance version of the guild herald and page I would have to level an alliance character and join an alliance guild to grind the rep to earn those pets.
I'm wondering if it would work to faction change. Would the pets be converted or would I have to find an alliance guild to grind rep with to get those pets?
The squire would not be a problem as I would only need the tokens to purchase him.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Re: MoP and cross faction pets

Post by Quintessence » April 11th, 2012, 10:08 pm

At the moment, yes. All characters have access to all pets (regardless of faction) but only through the Pet Journal. It's still unclear if it will stay this way or if we'll only have access to our faction's pets (even through the Pet Journal).

I'm not sure how faction transferring will work because it seems like in order to add a pet to your journal, you need the actual item and learn its spell. Currently on live servers, faction transferring automatically transforms horde into alliance pets and vice versa, right? (I've never faction transferred :P)

I don't know if that would still work with the new Pet Journal. It might work out for faction specific pets that are mailed to your toons, such as the Moonkin Hatchling, but I think we'll have to grind for the guild reputation pets. But I don't know. We'll have to wait and see what Blizzard decides to do.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Mastr
MVP

Post by Mastr » April 12th, 2012, 10:21 am

Right now if you faction transfer, your pets are converted to your new faction. I have faction transferred. If they change this for MoP you could faction change just before MoP ships and then come back to your home faction after MoP and regrind your original guild rep to earn both factions guild pets. That way you wouldn't have to find a guild on the opposite faction. While you are over on the other faction you could grab the argent tournament pet. Its kind of a problem for me because I have no real alts to speak of.

I'm sure blizz will be happy to sell you the cross faction sellable pets for another 10 bucks once MoP ships.

Gaijin
Pet Score:9380
Realm:Goldrinn-us

Post by Gaijin » April 14th, 2012, 5:08 pm

Mastr wrote: While you are over on the other faction you could grab the argent tournament pet.
do you mean the boy that follow you?
Better raise an alt to get it, you can give the alt all battle on account stuff to leveling fast, and even a brother account to raise 3x faster

Mastr
MVP

Post by Mastr » April 15th, 2012, 7:18 pm

Yes, the argent boy is much easier.
However the guild reputation ones are the ones that would be hard for me to get with only one high level toon. I wouldn't want to level a new toon and grind guild rep just to get those. It would be much easier to faction change.
Too bad I can't scroll of resurrect myself!