question about purchased pet rarities

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Shimtalia
Top Rater
Pet Score:4667
Realm:Madoran-us
question about purchased pet rarities

Post by Shimtalia » December 15th, 2012, 7:00 pm

Hi everyone, as you can guess from looking at my info, I am fairly new to the collecting game.

The question I have is about the pets that you can purchase from vendors. Do they actually come in both rare and uncommon versions? I ask because according to this site, some do and some only come in uncommon. For instance, 4 of the pets I've collected are listed as uncommon only (Blue Moth, Brown Snake, Crimson Snake, and Senegal), yet many others that have been purchased in the same way are listed as both uncommon or rare varieties existing, while still others are listed as rare versions only. Buying stones for all of those pets to upgrade them to rare is really expensive for a newer player, yet so is buying 100 versions of Bombay Cat (for instance) hoping to find a rare one in the mix.

Are there rare versions of all the purchased ones available, or are stones the only way to get some to rare?
Are the drop-down menus accurate as to which can be found at which rarity?
What else am I misunderstanding about this topic that you can help me understand?

Tadedra
Pet Score:7267
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Re: question about purchased pet rarities

Post by Tadedra » December 15th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Think of it like armor. When you purchase it from a vendor it's common, when it's created by a profession it's uncommon. Some earned via questing and quest rewards and reputation (vendor) very between Uncommon and Rare. As of right now, I think they there isn't any intention of making profession pets proc a rare.

The battle stones, were pretty much created to counter the fact that Blizzard chose several pet rarity value which most of us considered a devaluation of something we might have wanted to play with, say like Legs from Children's week was Uncommon and can you imagine if you wanted to use only that pet and you were about to do the legendary dailies. :(

The main point if you purchase the pet, then the rarity of that pet can only be changed by the person purchasing it with the help of a Battle-Stone.

Eviver
Pet Score:5244
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Eviver » December 15th, 2012, 9:57 pm

Vendor Pets basic rules
No Rep Required to buy: Green
Need Rep: Rare
Exception Argent Tournament Pets
They are a Rare item that teaches you a Green pet.

Holiday
Quest Rewards. Green
Holiday Vendor from Tokens. Green
RNG Boss or Daily Bag drops. Rare

DMF Rare
World Drops: rare
Crafted Pets: green
Pre 5.1 the Sapphire cub Was a Blue Item that taught you a pet of random quality after 5.1 it was changed to be always uncommon.
Archeology Pets: rare
Quest Rewards: green with 2 exceptions Panther Cub and Singing Songflower

Shimtalia
Top Rater
Pet Score:4667
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Shimtalia » December 17th, 2012, 2:39 am

Thank-you very much for this list, it helps a lot with understanding the various variations.

The pets (such as those bought from a vendor, nothing special needed) that are limited to green/uncommon quality, they can still be upgraded to blue with battle-stones? Are there any exceptions to these?

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » December 17th, 2012, 11:31 am

To my knowledge there are no limits or exceptions to what pets can be upgraded via the stones.

Avie
Pet Score:1065
Realm:Tarren Mill-eu

Post by Avie » December 20th, 2012, 6:02 pm

Though I understand what you all are saying, it leaves a question for me.
When I look up brown rabbit in the AH I see white ones and green ones. Does this mean someone upgraded to the green one ? Personally I dont think so, because I have some old rabbits in my bag that are green, and I never used stones.
I hope someone can make me understand :?

Wain
MVP
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Wain » December 20th, 2012, 7:07 pm

I don't have the ability to check this right now, but my question would be are the green ones all caged pets (that someone took out of their journal) and are the white ones all the original "Brown Rabbit Crate" objects that Dealer Rashaad sells? The item he sells is white (and can be put on the AH), while the pet it teaches is green.

Vasala
Pet Score:3795
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Vasala » December 20th, 2012, 7:11 pm

If you are seeing white quality brown rabbits on the AH those are one that have not yet been learned as they are all uncommon quality after learning them. Note that some vendor pets do have multiple breeds so you may want to look it up on this site to see what breed you got after you learn it and decide whether or not you are happy with that or want to roll the dice again. The vendor for the brown rabbit is at the spire in Netherstorm.