Share pet collecting news and advice.
Aislinge
MVP
Pet Score:4299
BattleTag®:Aislinge#1549
Realm:Dath'Remar-us
Equip prompt for BoU pets & mounts

Post by Aislinge » March 9th, 2012, 9:36 am

Today I did possibly the most unforgiveable thing imaginable by any pet collector.

I learnt a Hyancith Macaw on a bank alt :(

Seriously, words cannot describe the sickness I have felt all day at the loss of a rather large chunk of gold. I'm still waiting for a GM reply but, I'm resigned to the fact that I'll never delete that toon as he's now just worth too much. A lot of people will say you should have paid attention but it wasn't from inattention - I bumped my mouse :( I found a thread on the official forums where others have been caught out with the same problem while selling/trading/bag switching/banking pets and mounts. And I feel miserable. Sure, it's a game but it's seriously put a dampner on the whole thing.

When pets are now costing 50k on some servers and mounts are easily in excess of 100k, should we have seen a warning/prompt on these pets?

I'd like to know what others think?

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Re: Equip prompt for BoU pets & mounts

Post by Lysi » March 9th, 2012, 11:32 am

That is sad, I hope you can get it fixed. I think a warning on learning pets and mounts would be a good idea. Or maybe some kind of undo on learning anything, a small amount of time you can undo it (as long as you haven't used the spell/recipe/etc yet).
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » March 9th, 2012, 12:51 pm

*nod*

I did the same with a Swift Lovebird over the Valentines event. Cost me at least 7k at the time.
I was most peeved, but I had made plenty of money off them so far, and at least it meant I didn't have to worry about wasting one again!

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » March 9th, 2012, 3:28 pm

I hope a fellow pet-loving GM fixes it for you. :(

Since mounts and pets are getting even more popular these days, perhaps it's time Blizzard implemented the same prompt that's used for BoE pieces of gear. The one that asks if you're sure you want to bind the item to you by using it (or the prompt that asks if you're sure you want to destroy something).

Then again... with over 150 pets currently available ...that's a lot of prompts to go through if you learn a bunch at once!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Aislinge
MVP

Post by Aislinge » March 10th, 2012, 5:03 am

Quintessence wrote: Then again... with over 150 pets currently available ...that's a lot of prompts to go through if you learn a bunch at once!
Yeah, I've been thinking the same but then I thought, they could apply it to a select few - BoP would be auto-excluded as should vendor available one's perhaps? I dunno but it's so frustrating, disappointing and annoying. I refuse to use the thing now until a GM says they won't undo it (I'm still waiting to hear back).

I'll survive it, but ouch. It hurt :(

Mezcaal
Top Rater
Pet Score:6205
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Mezcaal » March 10th, 2012, 8:17 am

For all green or higher quality pets, yes.. hm. perhaps the white kitten should be green in this case though... not sure why he is common quality when he's on a timer.
>> Pet Interaction Guide https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16249 <<

Domie
Top Rater
Pet Score:9549
BattleTag®:Domie#2293
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Domie » March 10th, 2012, 2:48 pm

They should just make an option for showing warnings for these things, on by default, and then you could turn it of on your main char :)

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » March 10th, 2012, 5:57 pm

Mezcaal wrote:For all green or higher quality pets, yes.. hm. perhaps the white kitten should be green in this case though... not sure why he is common quality when he's on a timer.
Actually the color pets are coded makes no sense. The Hyacinth Macaw is the only purple pet, even though now that it's a zone drop, there are other pets that seem almost as difficult (the Crimson Whelp, for instance, that's now a zone drop in Wetlands--it currently has a white name). A lot of pets are blue, for example the Argent Tournament Pets, some profession and crafted pets, the Guardian Cub, the Sinister Squashling (which would be like the most common pet in the game if we'd all known to keep the extras!) Next on the AH you see certain white named pets, some crafted, some vendored, starting with Ancona Chicken and ending with the Wood Frog, oh, I see the oozeling is in this set of white pets. These must be "green" as far as the AH sort is concerned because they're before the other white pets, but they don't actually have green names. There are no green pets. And then the alphabet starts over with the rest of the white name pets, starting with Albino Snake and ending with White Tickbird. This lumps together pets like raptor hatchlings with the most common vendored pets. (I think the dragon whelps are in this last set of white pets, but I can't check because I'm not seeing any on the AH right now.)

Edit: Wait, it's even more complicated! The alphabet starts over twice within the white pets, not just once. So I don't know which pets were supposed to be green, and another color?! XD

I think it would be best if all pets were green. It's enough to make you look twice if one ends up in your bag, even someone who doesn't know pets wouldn't accidentally throw it away. Blizzard wouldn't have to try to figure out the actual rarity, or divide them in a non-intuitive way (like they are now). They'd just all list alphabetically on the AH.

Domie wrote:They should just make an option for showing warnings for these things, on by default, and then you could turn it of on your main char :)
This sounds like a good way to do it!

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » March 11th, 2012, 8:45 am

Lysi wrote:Wait, it's even more complicated! The alphabet starts over twice within the white pets, not just once. So I don't know which pets were supposed to be green, and another color?!
I believe the AH default is to sort by rarity (color), then item level. I think the white pets come in more than one item level.
Mingyao on Madoran

Mezcaal
Top Rater
Pet Score:6205
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Mezcaal » March 11th, 2012, 10:34 am

Lysi wrote:
Mezcaal wrote:For all green or higher quality pets, yes.. hm. perhaps the white kitten should be green in this case though... not sure why he is common quality when he's on a timer.
Actually the color pets are coded makes no sense. The Hyacinth Macaw is the only purple pet, even though now that it's a zone drop, there are other pets that seem almost as difficult (the Crimson Whelp, for instance, that's now a zone drop in Wetlands--it currently has a white name). A lot of pets are blue, for example the Argent Tournament Pets, some profession and crafted pets, the Guardian Cub, the Sinister Squashling (which would be like the most common pet in the game if we'd all known to keep the extras!) Next on the AH you see certain white named pets, some crafted, some vendored, starting with Ancona Chicken and ending with the Wood Frog, oh, I see the oozeling is in this set of white pets. These must be "green" as far as the AH sort is concerned because they're before the other white pets, but they don't actually have green names. There are no green pets. And then the alphabet starts over with the rest of the white name pets, starting with Albino Snake and ending with White Tickbird. This lumps together pets like raptor hatchlings with the most common vendored pets. (I think the dragon whelps are in this last set of white pets, but I can't check because I'm not seeing any on the AH right now.)

Edit: Wait, it's even more complicated! The alphabet starts over twice within the white pets, not just once. So I don't know which pets were supposed to be green, and another color?! XD

I think it would be best if all pets were green. It's enough to make you look twice if one ends up in your bag, even someone who doesn't know pets wouldn't accidentally throw it away. Blizzard wouldn't have to try to figure out the actual rarity, or divide them in a non-intuitive way (like they are now). They'd just all list alphabetically on the AH.

Domie wrote:They should just make an option for showing warnings for these things, on by default, and then you could turn it of on your main char :)
This sounds like a good way to do it!

Lysi- Yea, sorry, I meant the Kitten as an example. I was just doing a quick check on the forum. After reading your post.. here's a more expanded respond on my thoughts about the pet rarity value.

But I disagree with ALL pets being green. the racial vendor pets for example are cheap and easy to get. So are the Dalaran vendor ones and such. And the Netherstorm vendor.. forget his name. They should be white.

White kitten is a good one for green status, he's in the city with a 3 hour? spawn timer as I recall. Others may include the crafted ones, darkmoon frogs and tourney pets. (tourney because they can be bought as well as farmed.. and it only takes a couple days to someone with all the quests unlocked)

Rare zone drops like the whelps and such perhaps blue would be best. Including the Macaw as much as I suspect that might anger some people who paid silly amount for it. :P I'm also willing to believe this is a good spot for the tickbirds, etc since they require rep. Darkmoon pets since there is a limited amount of time to farm them each month. And of course the ever awesome Oozeling.

And rare spawns like Jadefang.. epic. Because you really had to have the patience for them and you can't buy them. Perhaps Fox should be epic as well, BoP extremely rare drop. And holiday pets perhaps since it's usually 1-2 weeks of the entire year you can have a chance for them.

Color coding is significant for people who don't wanna get ripped off.

Some recipes are still rigged, with that I have to say I'm glad the Savory Delight recipe is fixed.

Guh, I could make a more elaborate list if necessary, I'm just basing them off effort, time and all that by my own logic. I just don't think the racial vendor pets they cost 20s to 50s each need to be anything higher than white status.. heh.
>> Pet Interaction Guide https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16249 <<

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » March 11th, 2012, 2:18 pm

GormanGhaste wrote:
Lysi wrote:Wait, it's even more complicated! The alphabet starts over twice within the white pets, not just once. So I don't know which pets were supposed to be green, and another color?!
I believe the AH default is to sort by rarity (color), then item level. I think the white pets come in more than one item level.
But they can all be learned by level 1 characters, right? It would make more sense if they were alphabetical.
Last edited by Lysi on March 11th, 2012, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » March 11th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Mezcaal wrote:Lysi- Yea, sorry, I meant the Kitten as an example. I was just doing a quick check on the forum. After reading your post.. here's a more expanded respond on my thoughts about the pet rarity value.

But I disagree with ALL pets being green. the racial vendor pets for example are cheap and easy to get. So are the Dalaran vendor ones and such. And the Netherstorm vendor.. forget his name. They should be white.

White kitten is a good one for green status, he's in the city with a 3 hour? spawn timer as I recall. Others may include the crafted ones, darkmoon frogs and tourney pets. (tourney because they can be bought as well as farmed.. and it only takes a couple days to someone with all the quests unlocked)

Rare zone drops like the whelps and such perhaps blue would be best. Including the Macaw as much as I suspect that might anger some people who paid silly amount for it. :P I'm also willing to believe this is a good spot for the tickbirds, etc since they require rep. Darkmoon pets since there is a limited amount of time to farm them each month. And of course the ever awesome Oozeling.

And rare spawns like Jadefang.. epic. Because you really had to have the patience for them and you can't buy them. Perhaps Fox should be epic as well, BoP extremely rare drop. And holiday pets perhaps since it's usually 1-2 weeks of the entire year you can have a chance for them.

Color coding is significant for people who don't wanna get ripped off.

Some recipes are still rigged, with that I have to say I'm glad the Savory Delight recipe is fixed.

Guh, I could make a more elaborate list if necessary, I'm just basing them off effort, time and all that by my own logic. I just don't think the racial vendor pets they cost 20s to 50s each need to be anything higher than white status.. heh.
I don't trust them to get the color coding correct. If I thought they'd do a great job of it and it would help buyers, that would be wonderful. But I can't imagine Blizzard taking the time to really fix it, and when Pandaria comes out and so many more pets will supposedly be sellable, it will be worse. I say this because I see the same problem with other items. For example, while leveling my characters I've bought purple weapons, only to find the stats for some green weapons were much better than the purple's I bought (depends on which expansion that weapon came from). I haven't noticed Blizz ever downgrading a weapon once it's purple, you just have to pay attention what's really best for your character (something I've learned to do now, lol). So the first thing I do when opening the AH is change the sort to level, instead of rarity. The situation is even stranger now since transmorg is also affecting prices. None of this matters if you character is at top level, but since I'm always leveling someone, it's a minefield. And with so many kinds of items, like trade goods, almost everything is white but the prices vary wildly. The few trade goods that are green or blue in the game now are just misleading, not worth more than white items, many should just be sold to vendor (here the naive people who will lose money are those who lose their deposits from putting them on the AH, since no one is actually interested in buying them). You have to research these things yourself, whether you're a buyer or a seller, you can't rely on the colors. And I feel the same about the pets, the colors can allow people to get ripped off more than they help people. I'd rather have Blizz make all pets green than make things even worse. XD

Aislinge
MVP

Post by Aislinge » March 12th, 2012, 8:21 am

Well, I'm happy to report that a gracious GM logged in and gave me my Macaw back :D They also gave me a heart attack too as I was in a dungeon on another toon while they were doing it!

While I'm super chuffed with the outcome, it took 6 days and GM time to fix. Just from a monetary point of view, it could have been avoided with a prompt, as well as my heart ache :\

Cronid
Pet Score:4407
Realm:Darkspear-eu

Post by Cronid » March 12th, 2012, 8:53 am

Good to hear that Aislinge :) Yay for incoming gold :D

I agree that some of the rare pets (macaw, shale spider, any of the whelplings) should have BOE prompts to avoid accidents. Has something like this been posted on the official forums?

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » March 12th, 2012, 10:04 am

Aislinge wrote:Well, I'm happy to report that a gracious GM logged in and gave me my Macaw back :D They also gave me a heart attack too as I was in a dungeon on another toon while they were doing it!

While I'm super chuffed with the outcome, it took 6 days and GM time to fix. Just from a monetary point of view, it could have been avoided with a prompt, as well as my heart ache :\
Woohoo! So glad you got your birdie!

Domie
Top Rater

Post by Domie » March 13th, 2012, 9:56 am

Cronid wrote:Good to hear that Aislinge :) Yay for incoming gold :D

I agree that some of the rare pets (macaw, shale spider, any of the whelplings) should have BOE prompts to avoid accidents. Has something like this been posted on the official forums?
Shale spider is BoP anyways ^^ (unless it change :o)

But atleast the GMs seems to be really helpful when you do mistakes :)

Also gratz on getting your macaw back, had been to bad if you had lost it :/

Emberdione
MVP
Pet Score:11399

Post by Emberdione » March 15th, 2012, 4:29 pm

Very stoked to hear a GM helped you out.

I often have moments when sending a ton of holiday pets or whatever to my bank alt, I worry I might accidentally learn them, or that I might send them to the wrong name, etc.

A prompt on all of them, regardless is worth it. As logically the time I learn the most pets at once is right after I have made a character, and it's worth it to have it just in case.

Aislinge
MVP

Post by Aislinge » March 19th, 2012, 5:55 pm

Thanks for the support and well-wishes :D

I did find a thread on the Official Forums, if anyone wants to add to it. I didn't update it with my outcome but the more posts, the merrier.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3577567847

Always get the griefers but it seems collectors and AH nuts are keen, everyone else, not so much lol :roll:

Domie
Top Rater

Post by Domie » March 20th, 2012, 9:08 am

Aislinge wrote:Thanks for the support and well-wishes :D

I did find a thread on the Official Forums, if anyone wants to add to it. I didn't update it with my outcome but the more posts, the merrier.

Always get the griefers but it seems collectors and AH nuts are keen, everyone else, not so much lol :roll:
Its so annoying i cant post on the US forums : /

Tho its nice to see some support to it :)

Tho its kinda sad with the giant amount of people that answers, without reading the thread : /

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » March 20th, 2012, 11:02 am

Aislinge wrote:Thanks for the support and well-wishes :D

Posted, for what it's worth. I think Blizzard just doesn't pay much attention to what's really rare and needs prompts, and what is common and has prompts that aren't needed. I agree with the people saying too many things have prompts now, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be added to something that really needs it--instead it should be taken away from things that don't need it.