Share pet collecting news and advice.
Badpathing
MVP
Pet Score:12840
Realm:Proudmoore-us
shfit-p.net

Post by Badpathing » May 28th, 2016, 4:27 pm

Hey all!

Been a long time collector and frequenter of these forums. I write web applications for a living and as a hobby decided to put together a fan site of sorts. Now, I know there are some EXCELLENT resources out there, like .. well, warcraftpets.com, and I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, so please take it easy on me!

Having said that, my goal was to create a collections-based site with quick, visual filtering for pets, mounts and eventually toys (assuming Blizz provides the API). So far I have created the pets section, and I feel it is mostly there. I don't focus on battle info, or breeds necessarily as much as I focus on what you have, don't have, duplicates, family, etc.; filters I think make sense for quick reference. I also added some special filtering for battle.net store pets and pets you can attain via wowtcgloot.com (since I frequent both of them). I thought it would be handy for up-and-coming collectors to quickly view them.

Of course, that's just me, so I welcome any and all input. I'll be plodding along on the mount section next.

[url]http://www.shift-p.net/#/[/url]

*edit* I forgot to mention, that I am a bit snobbish as a developer..so if you try to use the site on a ... ahem ... older browser it's probably not going to be great.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13224
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Re: shfit-p.net

Post by Gráinne » May 28th, 2016, 6:00 pm

I went to try it, but it seems not to recognise EU.

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » May 28th, 2016, 6:06 pm

Gráinne wrote:I went to try it, but it seems not to recognise EU.
Yep, it's on my list of to-dos. Sorry about that, I was eager to get some feedback.

Lordblacknail
Pet Score:9097
BattleTag®:Stormey0317#1264
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Lordblacknail » May 28th, 2016, 6:29 pm

I like it.

Gráinne
Pet Score:13224
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Gráinne » May 28th, 2016, 6:57 pm

OK. So I tried it using the account of a US character.

It's neat, clean, fast. It delivered correct results for the filters I used.

My main suggestion would be to turn Tooltips ON by default. I really didn't recognise R U C buttons when orienting myself.

I like "I'm not saying you killed all the pets, but your filters sure made them disappear." :)

I don't think I can give good feedback though; I'm not your target audience. Since you don't aim to provide battle or collection tools, for me it adds no value over viewing the character's armoury on Battle.net.

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » May 28th, 2016, 7:07 pm

Gráinne wrote:OK. So I tried it using the account of a US character.

It's neat, clean, fast. It delivered correct results for the filters I used.

My main suggestion would be to turn Tooltips ON by default. I really didn't recognise R U C buttons when orienting myself.

I like "I'm not saying you killed all the pets, but your filters sure made them disappear." :)

I don't think I can give good feedback though; I'm not your target audience. Since you don't aim to provide battle or collection tools, for me it adds no value over viewing the character's armoury on Battle.net.
But you did give good feedback, and thank you!

Yeah, I struggled with defaulting tooltips since they cause vertical screen creep and you only really need to see them once..Trust me, I know it's a bit of a usability gamble.

Going to get the localization stuff in so that no one is left out, and will continue to work on mounts, and eventually toys when (if) they release an API for them.

Norya
Pet Score:5508
Realm:Malygos-eu

Re: shfit-p. net

Post by Norya » May 29th, 2016, 2:19 am

Since I am on EU-Servers as well, I simply tried someone from the US armory to take a look at your site, and I must say - I really like it! It is indeed very clean and well-structured, and the filters worked fine for me as well. The design is clean and simple, and you get all information you need very fast.
One suggestion: I really like to know the gender of my pets, especially for naming them, so I would be happy if you could add that information (if possible).
The idea of adding mounts and toys to the site is great, I think there is no really good-working mount collecting site out there, so this would definitely fill a gap.

Guess if you add EU-Servers, I will be a regular visitor! :)

Africanleopard
Pet Score:5560
Realm:Caelestrasz-us

Post by Africanleopard » May 31st, 2016, 8:58 am

This is really nice. Kudos to you.

Just a question - how do you determine which pet to show if you have a "duplicate" with different breeds?

It would be nice if you could filter the duplicates which include the original - helpful in making a decision on which pet to turf, as you can see the available breeds that you have.

Also, curious why you called it 'Shift-P' - there must be a history here ;).

Badpathing
MVP

Post by Badpathing » May 31st, 2016, 11:01 am

Africanleopard wrote:This is really nice. Kudos to you.

Just a question - how do you determine which pet to show if you have a "duplicate" with different breeds?

It would be nice if you could filter the duplicates which include the original - helpful in making a decision on which pet to turf, as you can see the available breeds that you have.

Also, curious why you called it 'Shift-P' - there must be a history here ;).
Well, shift-p is the shortcut in wow to the collections tab :)

As for the filtering of duplicates, I am actually open to input here. For now, I am defaulting to the blizzard api sorting, which means you are going to see the highest level pet..however, with equal levels, I am not sure how the breeds are sorted.

Currently, I show THAT pet under 'have' and the other pets under 'extras' without mixing them. I don't assume this is optimal, and would love input on a better approach (if there is one).

I want to build in a lot more towards breeds and add some direct linking for blizzard store and wow tcg loot pets..I actually already have that, just need to add the links. Last minute decision I made removed them for now..

I also need to build in localization.

Riddley
Pet Score:10464
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Riddley » June 13th, 2016, 3:26 pm

Looks really nice! Bootstrap!

I'm excited for you to get Mounts and Toys working.

Great work!

Mezcaal
Top Rater
Pet Score:6205
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Mezcaal » June 13th, 2016, 6:32 pm

Really sleek and I love how quickly it loads.
>> Pet Interaction Guide https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16249 <<

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » June 17th, 2016, 5:05 pm

Still no EU support...