Will the Sea Pony drop if you already have 1 or more?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Huennin
Pet Score:5137
Realm:Zangarmarsh-us
Will the Sea Pony drop if you already have 1 or more?

Post by Huennin » December 10th, 2012, 7:39 pm

So I was wondering if the Sea Pony can still drop when fishing around Darkmoon Isle for a character who hasn't caught it before, but now has access to this pet due to another character on their account learning it in the past. In other words, if you have a Sea Pony in your Pet Journal can you catch more?

They seemed to drop fairly often for me before the account-wide pets feature became available. I wound up with a total of 4 or 5 without ever "farming" for it across my 10+ characters that had fished around Darkmoon Isle. Anecdotal evidence is of course anecdotal, but even though I've continued to do as many of the DMF profession quests as possible on all my characters (as well as spend a bit of time doing some extra pool fishing for those nice crate contents) I haven't gotten another Pony drop, even though I now have only 1 in my Pet Journal.

I couldn't find anything about this on Wowhead or elsewhere, unfortunately.

Follow-up: Anyone caught a Sea Pony that's rare when learned? All of mine were uncommon. Just curious if a rare was possible.

TippyKitt
Pet Score:2789
Realm:Hellscream-us

Re: Will the Sea Pony drop if you already have 1 or more?

Post by TippyKitt » December 10th, 2012, 10:07 pm

Huennin wrote: Follow-up: Anyone caught a Sea Pony that's rare when learned? All of mine were uncommon. Just curious if a rare was possible.
I was about to reply yes cuse I could have SWORN that mine was rare when I learned it but I just checked and its not...

Darky28
Top Rater
Pet Score:3929
BattleTag®:Darky#1885
Realm:Dragonmaw-us

Post by Darky28 » December 11th, 2012, 10:50 am

Mine is rare... but thats propably due to the fact that I slapped an upgrade stone on it :?

Mairin
Top Rater
Pet Score:3202
Realm:Blade's Edge-us

Post by Mairin » December 11th, 2012, 11:39 am

I seem to recall all sea ponies were rare items becoming uncommon pets (unless of course they're getting the "hatchling" treatment).

Radnok
Pet Score:4023
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Radnok » December 11th, 2012, 1:22 pm

Huennin wrote:if you have a Sea Pony in your Pet Journal can you catch more?
I don't k now the answer to this, but would be curious to know. For the record, I have only fished up two, both during my first DMF run, on different characters on the same realm. The first one took hours of fishing, both wreckage and open water to get. The second came up while doing the fishing quest (and I was quite surprised by that). I may try and test this out during the next DMF, depending on my gaming priorities.

Does anyone else know if it is still possible to catch one if it is in your pet journal?
Radnok (Alliance/Kilrogg)
Igasho/Pandirella (Horde/Madoran)

Akycha
Pet Score:2287
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Post by Akycha » December 11th, 2012, 4:37 pm

I have a friend who is an alcoholic do that this last week. Fish one up while already having one. However I don't know if it was on a character she'd previously caught one on or not.

Hyacinthe
Pet Score:1841
Realm:Blade's Edge-us

Post by Hyacinthe » December 11th, 2012, 6:30 pm

Akycha wrote:I have a friend who is an alcoholic do that this last week. Fish one up while already having one. However I don't know if it was on a character she'd previously caught one on or not.
That seems like some personal information to be sharing about your friend. :lol: (Pretty sure you meant altoholic)

Huennin
Pet Score:5137
Realm:Zangarmarsh-us

Post by Huennin » December 12th, 2012, 12:56 am

Akycha wrote:I have a friend who is an alcoholic do that this last week. Fish one up while already having one. However I don't know if it was on a character she'd previously caught one on or not.
Thanks, good to know that I might get lucky with another one at some point. :)

Bonhomous
Pet Score:2167
Realm:Maiev-us

Post by Bonhomous » December 12th, 2012, 9:47 am

I can confirm that I fished up a sea pony on a different toon after already having two in my pet inventory.

The sea pony that you fish up looks like a rare, and it's a rare item - but once you click it and learn the pet, the pet you've learned is a green uncommon.