AFKing for Graves!

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Noxiish
Pet Score:8643
Realm:Garrosh-us
AFKing for Graves!

Post by Noxiish » January 7th, 2016, 5:34 pm

So it was pointed out semi recently that the strategy to go AFK for AI-only games in Heroes of the Storm would eventually kick you, losing any exp gained to that point. It's really not too hard to keep an eye on it and just attack/die every every 20-30 seconds to keep resetting the AFK timer, but for the moment, there is a better way.

Leoric is one of the free to play characters right now, and he pretty much makes AFKing a non issue. He doesn't die, he just sticks around as a ghost for a few moments and resurrects back on the map where he died. You don't need to run back from the starting zone every time.

Plop his skeletal rear end near an enemy tower and boom, you have an active attack/death rotation going on without having to do a single thing and HoTS doesn't even have to be the active screen. Without actively attacking, his basic hits take so long against any tower that you have plenty of time before ever having to move him to a new target. So far, it's been working all day without my actually being a part of any of the games.

Hope this helps any one else out a bit. HoTS and I are not fans of one another ;P

Deviantelf
Pet Score:12827
BattleTag®:Deviantelf#1836
Realm:Dalaran-us

Re: AFKing for Graves!

Post by Deviantelf » January 8th, 2016, 1:55 am

FYI: You can also do Training mode and 100% AFK it. Hit the Ready button and just walk off if you want! Takes about 15 minutes or so on average each match/game/whatever it's called. Probably less xp than all AI... but you don't have to do anything but start each match.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » January 8th, 2016, 5:46 am

Although AFK'ing in Training and vs. all AI matches is possible and doesn't negatively impact others, keep in mind that doing this might be seen as an exploit by Blizzard since it's not an intended mechanic or feature.

I haven't heard of a situation where Blizzard deemed it as unacceptable, but I wouldn't recommend taking the chance of having your Graves revoked or denied all because AFK'ing games turned out to be a no-no.

Grinding games for Graves will take some effort, but it's worth it. Good luck to all!
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Underverse
Pet Score:13856
Realm:Earthen Ring-eu

Post by Underverse » January 8th, 2016, 10:15 am

This seems to be my Nemesis Pet..... I Actually HATE the game with a passion.. :( ..

Noxiish

Post by Noxiish » January 8th, 2016, 10:30 am

Considering thousands of people are being forced to play a game that most particularly dislike/hate for a pet, yeah, absolutely still worth it to me. I'm not playing the game for anyone else, and they are fully capable of making their own decisions regarding gameplay. Especially since Blizzard cannot possibly be unaware that AFKing is the route a lot of people take by now.

Ravnhawk
MVP
Pet Score:6534
BattleTag®:ravnhawk#1272
Realm:Zul'jin-us

Post by Ravnhawk » January 8th, 2016, 4:21 pm

Nope the BIGGEST Nemisis pet will always be for me Stunted Direhorn. I hate pet Pvp.. truly

Ziboo
MVP
Pet Score:11204
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Ziboo » January 8th, 2016, 4:56 pm

I know WHY Blizzard does the cross-gaming dangle the carrot in front of pet collectors, but I do HATE it. I still don't have Graves (lvl 8-9 in that game). It's not a horrible game, just not anything I'm interested in and wouldn't voluntarily be there!

I will admit, I haven't tried the afk method, I've played all the matches, so Graves better be worth it!

Darkmaster
Top Rater
Pet Score:5191
Realm:Quel'dorei-us

Post by Darkmaster » January 8th, 2016, 5:21 pm

As with pretty much everyone that has posted here I also hated the grind of this game just to get my GRAVES but the grind is not that difficult and can be done fairly quickly. All you have to do is join the AI games which at the longest take 15 min to complete a game. After you get to lv 10 they will give you a free Stim pack which increase your EXP earned per game. and if you are to get a friend that is on your b-tag friends list to also join you with the game it gives even more EXP per game I learned this after I did the grind and got my GRAVES which I wish I had learned while doing the grind. With all this said and not using the increased EXP from having a friend in the game with you I was able to do the grind from start to getting graves over the course of a Saturday and Sunday Afternoon. So It may be a little tedious and you feel a waste of time but GRAVES is well worth it he is my go to pet for PVP pet battles. Hope this brings some light to you reaching the end goal of your GRAVES.

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » January 8th, 2016, 5:21 pm

It's definitely a kind of sad and no matter which side do you think about.

The problem with promotions is that if you're into a game you can't easily immerse into another because you're already busy.

I can't even be mad at HotS, there are some nice features, though I need to tell that I find this game quite poorly optimised.

And Captain Obvious: having Graves shouldn't be felt mandatory to feel well about your pet roster…

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » January 8th, 2016, 7:21 pm

Leoric is fun to play. I was sad that right after I hit level 10 and got my Stimpack, my computer crashed, and I didn't get to play again for a few days, losing the benefit of the stimpack.

Thankfully, it's still Winterveil in HotS, and I'm about to get a Stimpack from that....I might actually get Graves soon, I'm level 13, almost 14... I'm hoping to get enough gold to buy Leoric....anyone have any thoughts on how to get gold faster? Are there certain things you can do in games to get gold? I won't spend real money on this game, because I have no intention of playing once I have Graves, but I have been buying heroes with my gold. Lili is my favorite.
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Noxiish

Post by Noxiish » January 8th, 2016, 10:04 pm

Deviantelf wrote:FYI: You can also do Training mode and 100% AFK it. Hit the Ready button and just walk off if you want! Takes about 15 minutes or so on average each match/game/whatever it's called. Probably less xp than all AI... but you don't have to do anything but start each match.
That's actually what I've kinda liked about using Leoric against the towers. Similar afk, but you're getting the additional exp for the enemy tower damage. Quite a few of the rounds, I've actually had him get far enough to just chill at the enemy core for every resurrection, he had taken out everything else on the way over.

In general though, don't get me wrong about HoTS. It's really not about being forced to play for Graves. It's the style of play itself, I was never a fan of LoL either. Like Paladance said, there are fun aspects to it, and I do actually like playing a game or two once in awhile. With the Stimpacks, the grind isn't the end of the world. Doesn't change the fact that if you don't actually like HoTS, the games go on too long, gets frustrating, and isn't something you enjoy in the slightest. Not trying to take anything away from anyone who genuinely enjoys the game.
Last edited by Noxiish on January 9th, 2016, 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Skag
Top Rater
Pet Score:7378
Realm:Bronzebeard-us

Post by Skag » January 9th, 2016, 8:09 am

I'm actually considering buying Leoric. I don't hate the game but I just don't want to play another game right now, WoW is costing me enough time as it is. I'm really only doing this for the pet and if I can shave a tiny bit off the grind...

On edit: got him. You do have to occassionally move him around because he does destroy the target after some time, but then just move him to a next objective and he happily goes on for a while, until he gets to the core, and there he can stay.

On 2nd edit: I think this way you still play more coherently than the ai :)

Deviantelf
Pet Score:12827
BattleTag®:Deviantelf#1836
Realm:Dalaran-us

Post by Deviantelf » January 10th, 2016, 6:30 am

Quintessence wrote:Although AFK'ing in Training and vs. all AI matches is possible and doesn't negatively impact others, keep in mind that doing this might be seen as an exploit by Blizzard since it's not an intended mechanic or feature.

I haven't heard of a situation where Blizzard deemed it as unacceptable, but I wouldn't recommend taking the chance of having your Graves revoked or denied all because AFK'ing games turned out to be a no-no.

Grinding games for Graves will take some effort, but it's worth it. Good luck to all!
Good advice.

Personally they can ban me from HotS (already uninstalled!!!) and even take away Graves if they want... I think I got to 10 and was just fed up with the 90s style of play feel and every ~3rd game not getting xp at all due to the hang on Victory/Defeat bug. I wouldn't have gotten Graves if I had to slog through another 10 levels of playing especially with not getting xp about 1/3 of the time.

It's a legit game mode and it's done within the rules of the mode... so punishing people for using it seems harsh, making it so you still have to at least pretend to play in that mode seems more reasonable. Which isn't to say it couldn't happen, I'm fine with it tho.

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » January 10th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Level 18.5. I've managed to do 25 matches while at work today, with the Winterveil Stimpack on. I'm actually playing. I ENJOY Leoric! OMG thank you for pointing me in his direction.

I'm about to get the big Winterveil Stimpack. I'll be 20 before I go home today. And I'll have enough gold to buy Leoric once I hit 20, just in case I do decide to play again.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm getting Graves today.

Edit: Okay. So. I'm exactly 12474 XP away from Graves. Seriously. If we had taken down a few more towers a little slower...wow.

Edit 2: Got him!!!!!
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Paladance
Pet Score:12412
Realm:Burning Legion-eu

Post by Paladance » January 11th, 2016, 2:48 pm

I wanted to at least check which level I have stayed with but the 3.5 GB update :shock: has stupefied me. Go figure.

Gz Darolyn and all of you. :)

I have compiled community knowledge & data about pet battle abilities!
https://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19507

Axarien
MVP
Pet Score:5571
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Axarien » January 11th, 2016, 10:52 pm

The game is all right. Playing it with friends has really made it grow on me. It helps as you start to learn what the strengths of various heroes are and where they fit into strategies for each map. Currently level 15.

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13632
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » January 12th, 2016, 12:22 am

Quintessence wrote:Although AFK'ing in Training and vs. all AI matches is possible and doesn't negatively impact others, keep in mind that doing this might be seen as an exploit by Blizzard since it's not an intended mechanic or feature.
I wouldn't worry. Blizzard thrives on you spending as many hours as possible with their games, all those monthly subscriptions multiplied by several million. AFKing in HotS to Level 20 takes lots and lots of hours. And as you pointed out, isn't harming other players or giving you an edge over them.

Well, maybe an edge over the Pet PvP fan that faces still another of the popular Graves meta teams.

Khorah
Pet Score:11506
BattleTag®:Khorah#1833
Realm:Medivh-us

Post by Khorah » January 12th, 2016, 11:04 am

Just a quick note as well.. There "was" a cap on exp in training, so just be aware of that if you use Training mode to level up.
Given the length of doing it AFK, it probably wont matter, but just a heads up ;)

Spary
Pet Score:10075
Realm:Zirkel des Cenarius-eu

Post by Spary » January 12th, 2016, 11:20 am

This pet was a nightmare for me to get too.

But this was before I encounterd Lt. Hammer, try her in AI mode, skill her to be a superartillerista ;) - and just walk her up to the enemy base step by step.

Except for a few pesky Melees, there is nothing that can stop her - even in autoattackmode - and the AI jusst can't handle her special artillerie mode. Though this kind of game are not my favorites I really liked going for lvl 20 with Lt. Hammer when I realized her potential (sadly I was already at lvl 8 or so before trying her).

Maybe this helps some of You, good luck ;)

Cyberninja
MVP
Pet Score:11058
Realm:Dragonblight-us

Post by Cyberninja » January 12th, 2016, 12:54 pm

Does anyone else HATE this game? I actually paid the $4 for a one week stimpack when I was level 6. I got to level 8 and I tried to force myself to play. I'm not sure where the enjoyment comes in with Heroes of the Storm. Basically it is nothing but complete chaos. Run into battle, try and fight while watching a bunch of craziness go on, die unexpectedly without warning, respawn and repeat...hate it. Basically I wasted $4 on a stimpack because I played 2 games and said "to hell with this, I have pets to level"...argh