Share pet collecting news and advice.
Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us
How do you decide what pets to level?

Post by Saasan » June 8th, 2015, 5:19 pm

So, you've decided to bite the bullet and embrace the insanity of leveling all your pets. You've gotten all the ones you need for your various PVE or PVP strategies, so where do you go from there? I decided to complete by pet families, going from smallest to largest in order to feel a sense of accomplishment. Saying "I'm done with two whole families!" feels better than "I've completed 1/16th of my pet leveling!" Within the family, I go alphabetically, unless a it's a pet that is 20+ already (again with the sense of accomplishment).

Anyway, I'm just curious what method other people use. Cutest first? Level everything to 10, then 15, etc?

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Re: How do you decide what pets to level?

Post by Luciandk » June 8th, 2015, 5:25 pm

I look for those that is interesting to me. Good looks or ability sets.

If a pet sports an unique or just really good ability that drives it, thats a must lvl up.

I only have 220 pets at lvl 25, havent really bothered powerleveling them. And its quite easy to level pets fasts now, thanks to the plentiful pet charms which to buy leveling stones with. Though Im saving them for the new stuff in 6.2 to buy. 353 charms left to have the 1050 needed for all toys and pets. But ive 300 something leveling stones in my bank, so all to easy to bump up new interesting aquisitions.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » June 8th, 2015, 7:58 pm

Saasan wrote:Anyway, I'm just curious what method other people use. Cutest first? Level everything to 10, then 15, etc?
Nowadays I just level stuff as I get it, no particular order. Back when I had an entire collection to level, I did the latter. I set smaller goals, like get all pets to level 5, level 10, etc. Because smaller goals are more doable it feels less daunting.

I personally avoided leveling by family though since I wanted to keep variety in my stable of 25s, so if I had just leveled 2 flying pets the day before, for example, I would choose maybe an aquatic and beast the next day.

Kobble
Top Rater
Pet Score:12664
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Post by Kobble » June 8th, 2015, 8:13 pm

After having leveled many pets that I needed or just found interesting.... I started deciding by just doing a /randompet and leveling whatever got summoned!

It's actually kind of handy in helping to not end up with a bunch cockroach pets that you avoided left to level at the end. :'D

Elleria
Pet Score:13628
Realm:Suramar-us

Post by Elleria » June 9th, 2015, 3:48 am

I go by what I need for new tamers, after that, I go by family and highest to lowest level within those families. I have all of my Undead (excepting Graves who I am working on getting) and Dragonkin levelled, Mechanicals are next. I also go by what family I have the least of before I tackle the enormous amount of Beast, Flying, Critter, Aquatic and Elemental. Makes you a little let insane if you have a list, hehehe. I'm going along the same lines as you, Saasan :)

Papazol
Pet Score:9646
Realm:Balnazzar-us

Post by Papazol » June 9th, 2015, 7:47 am

All of reasons, what already were meaned, and few more. ;)
1. lvl pets, what I need fore some achievements, like 75 pets on 25 lvl before or big adventure in this patch.
2. lvl pets, what will be usefull and have unique abilities, some time few of them.
3. lvl pets by families, from smaler to bigger.
4. lvl pets step by step with small goals - all pets higher than 10 lvl, higher than 16 lvl, etc.
Actualy, all this reasons runs about same pets. Most unique, cool and usefull pets are from small families, like mech or ud, in time like 100 from 150 beasts or critters are crap, what is lvled to some point by 1 or 2 battles against pet masters.

Angelcat2887
Pet Score:11102
BattleTag®:Angel2887#2347
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by Angelcat2887 » June 9th, 2015, 8:07 am

i started lvling for what i needed first, so for the cel torny, dailies ect, but now ive done all them im just going from lowest on my list, will get about 4 - 6 lvls in 2 fight then switch out again (hats and buff food), and my higher lvl pets are having the lvling stones from the daily garrison and buying more with charms (i have 6 lvl 100's so have about 50+ charms a day), 1000 charms aside for new patch and a spare 10 just in case and just rest are spent on the 2 charm bags, i get about 25 - 27 bags a day. :)

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » June 9th, 2015, 12:02 pm

I did a variety of different things. Initially it was stuff I needed for trainers. Then it was getting more coverage on races with less level 25's before the CT tournament came out. Then I finished off some of the smaller ones. For a while I did the leveling thread on the forum. I also did things like all moths or all roaches or all cats to have a more manageable goal than all beasts or critters or flying.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » June 9th, 2015, 12:25 pm

Initially, I leveled the pets I needed for pve battles. Then I leveled a bunch of the FOTWs for pvp (still haven't gotten my stunted shardhorn, I dislike pet pvp so much). Finally, I did what you did. I just picked a class and worked my way down it. Now, all the new pets that I have to level, I actually named "Level". I search for level and know what I still have to do when I get stones or do the tamer battles.

Good luck though, you'll get them all done!
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Kel » June 9th, 2015, 12:41 pm

I'm completely random, sort of.

I started out leveling the ones I needed to complete trainer challenges and Celestial Tournament type stuff. So ones that would get me set up to either get more pets or be able to level other pets faster.

From there I've just gone completely off the rails. Now I just level what ever pet I think looks cool, or ones that I like, or one that I want access to some ability/attack. But a couple families I've just gone to leveling "what ever is next in the list" because I have so many critter pets at this point it isn't even funny. Seriously, how many cockroaches does one guy need? :?
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » June 9th, 2015, 1:07 pm

Dakaf wrote:Now, all the new pets that I have to level, I actually named "Level". I search for level and know what I still have to do when I get stones or do the tamer battles.
I do this too, it really makes it so much easier. Pets for trade or sell I name "Sell" "Trade" etc.

Furkel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13624
Realm:Moonglade-eu

Post by Furkel » June 9th, 2015, 2:54 pm

These days my strategy is logging on every day and just clicking my random pet macro until I get one that isn't 25 yet.

Topaz
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Post by Topaz » June 10th, 2015, 3:26 am

The lowest lvl one by alphabet order and only beast, flying, critter or aquatic type.

Formerruling
Pet Score:6226
Realm:Turalyon-us

Post by Formerruling » June 10th, 2015, 2:24 pm

I upgrade to rare by family; I level by current level working on all the ones above 20 first. The exception is a pet needed for a fight.

Gingerscream
MVP

Post by Gingerscream » June 10th, 2015, 4:44 pm

I go by category. For example, Humanoid or Magic. Once I'm done I move on to the next one. But I have small goals within the bigger goal. One day I'll set a goal for all my Flying to be lvl 10 then lvl 15. I break it down where it doesn't seem so rigorous. At least it helps me keep my sanity. Good Luck! <Ginger>

Druzy
Pet Score:4598
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by Druzy » June 12th, 2015, 6:28 am

The method you described in your post is what I was going to suggest. Beast, Critter, and Flying are the largest families so if you have non-family stones I would use on one of those three.

I would also suggest two leveling toons, one in Draenor and one in Pandaland, for maximum leveling bonus.

Post by Guest » June 13th, 2015, 1:15 pm

Personally, I began with a mechanical, aquatic and flying. Then followed up by one of each of the other classes. When you get 2 pets to level 25, it will be easier to level a third carry pet. And also leveling to 25 yourself will allow you to buy and learn level 25 pets from the AH if you want to super boost your team a little. ;)

Saasan
Top Rater
Pet Score:5353
BattleTag®:Dredre#1692
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Saasan » June 13th, 2015, 1:55 pm

Peanutty wrote:
Dakaf wrote:Now, all the new pets that I have to level, I actually named "Level". I search for level and know what I still have to do when I get stones or do the tamer battles.
I do this too, it really makes it so much easier. Pets for trade or sell I name "Sell" "Trade" etc.

That is brilliant. I am so using this idea. :D

Mastr
MVP
Pet Score:13968
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by Mastr » June 13th, 2015, 3:00 pm

Whatever you approach to take, I would wait till 6.2 to start wholesale leveling. Every week there will be a 3x bonus for a day that will really help. Add the pet treats and you'll be up to almost 4x experience.
With 6.2 I might just start on the path to all 25. Until now it has seemed too daunting.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » June 13th, 2015, 3:11 pm

Mastr wrote:Every week there will be a 3x bonus for a day that will really help.
The Pet Battle Bonus Event in 6.2 occurs only 4 consecutive days each month, not every week. Example: June 19 through June 22.

This should still be adequate time to utilize the bonus experience, but it'll be inconvenient if you can't log on during the event.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com