So, just got Warlords of Draenor.

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Jumi
Pet Score:2302
Realm:Zul'jin-us
So, just got Warlords of Draenor.

Post by Jumi » May 14th, 2015, 6:47 am

Been away for a while, but I just got a new pc, WoD, and just signed my characters back up for the guild(s). Now, I want to get all the optional pets available from my garrison, so, what should I build? As far as professions, my only level 90 character specializes in tailoring, herb collecting, cooking, and fishing, so I definitely want, for instance, the fishing shack. But what do I need to build to get any special pets at the garrison? Like, I've heard there's one thing you can build that has a glass of milk in it that gives you some sort of pet, a cow or something. How many pets like that can I get and what do I have to build?

Thanks.

Melmo
MVP
Pet Score:11046
BattleTag®:Melmo#1842
Realm:Whisperwind-us

Re: So, just got Warlords of Draenor.

Post by Melmo » May 14th, 2015, 7:19 am

Jumi wrote:Been away for a while, but I just got a new pc, WoD, and just signed my characters back up for the guild(s). Now, I want to get all the optional pets available from my garrison, so, what should I build? As far as professions, my only level 90 character specializes in tailoring, herb collecting, cooking, and fishing, so I definitely want, for instance, the fishing shack. But what do I need to build to get any special pets at the garrison? Like, I've heard there's one thing you can build that has a glass of milk in it that gives you some sort of pet, a cow or something. How many pets like that can I get and what do I have to build?

Thanks.
The trading post offers the rep pets [pet]Bone Wasp[/pet] (H) / [pet]Sky Fry[/pet] (A) but they are tradable and fairly cheap in the AH. If you want to build it anyway, that is entirely up to you. The only pet building you *have* to build is the barn, which at level 3 gives you the [pet]Pygmy Cow[/pet] (it is not tradable). The fishing shack & herb garden are included in all garrisons, so you don't have to worry about those. I would definitely build a tailoring building since you have that profession, you can make your own [pet]Elekk Plushie[/pet].

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13632
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » May 14th, 2015, 1:09 pm

The Barn also fits in nicely with tailoring, lets you trap wolves to make the cloth you need.

Seven pets from Menagerie daily after you reach 100 and get it upgraded to level 3. If you do the daily regularly should only take a few weeks for all seven to drop. If you're in a hurry, these have gotten common and are fairly cheap in AH. Another pet battling daily rewards another three pets though drop rate not very high and the visiting trainer doesn't show up every day.

Two pets can drop, though extremely rarely, while you're working your Herb Garden or Lunarfall Excavation (the ore mine).

Engineers can make three new mechanical pets.

Two pets and a mount from fishing available after you've gotten high rep with Nat Pagle and upgraded the Fishing Hut. Earning the necessary tokens takes a lot of fishing though, you'll be spending many hours at it.

You'll quickly catch on that there's a LOT to do in your garrison. Can start to feel more like working a job than playing a game. Be prepared.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » May 14th, 2015, 2:57 pm

We have an [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-garrison-pets/]overview[/url] of all the garrison pets and buildings that might be useful.

To summarize, the following garrison buildings will yield pets:
  • Level 3 Menagerie
  • Level 3 Barn (medium plot building)
  • Level 2 Trading Post (medium plot building)
  • Inn (Alliance) or Tavern (Horde) (medium plot building)
  • Tailoring Emporium (must have tailoring to craft pets)
  • The Forge (must have blacksmithing to craft pets)
  • Engineering Works (you do not have to have engineering to craft pets)
  • Herb Garden (any level)
  • Frostwall Mines or Lunarfall Excavation (any level)
  • Level 3 Fishing Shack (must have Nat Pagle as a follower and assign him to the shack)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Jumi

Post by Jumi » May 15th, 2015, 9:20 am

Thanks, Quintessence, that's exactly the info I was looking for. I did a brief search around the site for a similar guide, but couldn't find it. I guess I didn't look hard enough. :P

Can you build all of that stuff (minus the Blacksmithing building; I don't have Blacksmithing and so I don't need that) in one go, or do you have to get some of the stuff then tear it down and build something else? What would you recommend building first? The things I mentioned (pets, professions, etc.; also gold is nice :D ) are really all that matter to me; I'm not interesting in min-maxing my Garrison.

Also, not really a pet question, but a WoD question: How do I get from Draenor to Stormwind and back? :geek:

Thanks for all the help!

Edit: Wait, does the barn not have a function at all except for providing the glass of milk? That's kind of pointless... :?:

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » May 15th, 2015, 9:40 am

Jumi wrote: Also, not really a pet question, but a WoD question: How do I get from Draenor to Stormwind and back? :geek:
There is a portal to SW, IF, etc. in Ashran. Additionally I would suggest keeping your hearthstone set to Shrine for quick portal accesses (you get a separate hearthstone for the garrison). Garrison hearth brings you back to Draenor as do the Dark Portal in blasted lands and the secret teleporter on Timeless Isle.
Jumi wrote: Edit: Wait, does the barn not have a function at all except for providing the glass of milk? That's kind of pointless... :?:
It is a source for Savage Bloods, fur, leather, and feasts.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » May 15th, 2015, 1:39 pm

TLDR - the only building you need to have is the level 3 Barn, as the Pygmy Cow is not tradeable.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » May 15th, 2015, 2:41 pm

Jumi wrote:Can you build all of that stuff (minus the Blacksmithing building; I don't have Blacksmithing and so I don't need that) in one go, or do you have to get some of the stuff then tear it down and build something else? What would you recommend building first? The things I mentioned (pets, professions, etc.; also gold is nice :D ) are really all that matter to me; I'm not interesting in min-maxing my Garrison.
Wowhead has some good garrison guides you should take a look at: http://www.wowhead.com/guides/garrisons ... of-draenor and http://www.wowhead.com/guides/garrisons ... ing-basics . It's way way too much info to possibly cover here.

The garrison system is hard to learn but then very easy once you get the hang of it. Nothing is permanent in it so don't be afraid to experiment to get the best possible set up for your needs.

To answer your immediate questions:

Can you build all of that stuff in one go - You add buildings over time based on the level of your garrison.

do you have to get some of the stuff then tear it down and build something else? - That is an option, most people probably end up trying a few different buildings before settling on what they like.

What would you recommend building first? - As you are limited to what you can put in by level, you'll find this is easier to answer than you think. You'll start off with a Barracks plus room for one small profession building. Choose a small building to match a profession you have or can benefit from.

The things I mentioned (pets, professions, etc.; also gold is nice :D ) are really all that matter to me; I'm not interesting in min-maxing my Garrison - Pets have been covered by other posters (and are also in the guides I linked). Professions... obviously you will want to choose buildings that match your professions if possible, to get the most benefit out of them. Again the guides will explain in depth. Gold, you'll most likely want a Salvage Yard (available after level 97) as the most direct way of making extra money.

Jumi

Post by Jumi » May 17th, 2015, 11:18 am

Thanks, all. Currently have a level 2 garrison with the mine unlocked and an inn, tailor workshop, and engineering workshop. Looks like I'm going to be working on the Plush Elekk first, after I get five tailor doodads to turn in for the recipe.

Almost at level 93, looking forward to unlock the fishing shack at 94.

Thanks! :D

Jumi

Post by Jumi » May 23rd, 2015, 3:03 pm

Wow, the garrison is quite fun! :D

I'm currently level 96, almost 97. I've got second level fishing shack, mine, herb shack, tailor place, engineering place, and inn. Currently trying to accumulate garrison resources so I can level my barracks up to level 2. Still trying to accumulate Draenor seeds and other necessary goodies. I've got the Elekk plushie pattern but don't have enough stuff to craft it yet. Slowly but surely. *sigh*

Waiting for level 3 so I can get the extra plots and get the menagerie, as well as build a barn, then tear it down and build a trading post.

Where do you get the plans for the salvage yard? When I get to 100/level 3 garrison, I'd like it to be my third small building, since garrison upkeep costs A LOT of money.

Thanks, all.

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13632
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » May 23rd, 2015, 5:15 pm

At your Outpost in Spires of Arak you'll eventually be given a quest to fly to Pinchwhistle Gearworks, this starts quest chain that'll end up with you getting the Salvage Yard plans and a follower too.

Not sure but I think you can bypass the Outpost and pick up the quests at the Gearworks.

Dicrostonyx
Pet Score:7904
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Dicrostonyx » May 23rd, 2015, 9:50 pm

I'm going to make one unconventional suggestion regarding your Garrison for when you reach level 100, although it does depend on your play-style. If you have several alts who are all in range and likely to be levelled up in short order, then just build whatever is useful for each character, but if you have one main character with whom you do everything, and if you are any sort of completest, you may want to build in order of reverse desirability.

At level 100 you unlock level 3 buildings in your Garrison. Although the small building plans simply cause gold, plus gold and resources to build, the medium and large buildings each require that you complete an achievement in order to unlock the level 3 blueprint. Once unlocked, the blueprint is available to all of your level 100 characters without their having to do anything special.

So, when I got my main to 100, instead of building the Barn and Barracks that I wanted, I built buildings that I had no long term use for like the Stables (8 mounts), Spirit Lodge, Lumber Mill, etc. and ground out the various achievements. In addition to gaining the achievements and any permanent bonuses, such as the mounts, this sets you up to get the Architect title once you can afford it. That title requires that one character learns all 60 Garrison blueprints, which in turn requires that you complete all 10 level 3 building achievements.

Ilostmahbucket
Pet Score:4118
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Ilostmahbucket » May 23rd, 2015, 11:49 pm

Although you can skip some of the Spires of Arak quests and go straight for the Salvage Yard at Pinchwhistle Gearworks, you probably shouldn't. If you complete all the quests in the Spires zone, you'll receive an Outpost Building Assembly Notes and a Comprehensive Outpost Construction Guide. These are worth 1,000 and 1,500g, respectively. You can turn them in for garrison blueprints in Warspear. You can obtain one more of each by doing all the quests in Gorgrond, too.

As an aside, getting a level three Salvage Yard and level 3 Inn quickly is smart if you want passive gold from your garrison.

Jumi

Post by Jumi » May 24th, 2015, 3:40 am

Yeah, I'm going through the game pretty much "in order." I've completed the quest lines for Shadowmoon, Gagrand, Talador, and am now working on the Spires of Arak. I pretty much JUST NOW got to Pinchwhistle camp.

I'm using one main right now, and I've pretty much got my garrison planned out with what I want. Once I get it to level 3, I want:

large: Barracks, stable
medium: inn, then barn, then trash barn and build trading post
small: tailoring post, engineering post, salvage

Once I get all that plus the mine, fishing shack, herb garden (all of which I already have), and the menagerie, I'll be set.

None of my other characters are even close to level 90, though I do have a level 90 token I haven't used yet. My main is an Alliance paladin on Zul'jin. For the level 90 token, I want to use one of my two Madoran Horde characters so I can interact with the rest of the guildspeople. But I can't decide if I want to use it on my Dark Knight Blood Elf (currently level 65) or my Rogue Goblin (currently around level 35). Then I also have, on Zul'jin, a level 25 Alliance Pandaren Monk and a level 45 Troll Hunter.

Jumi

Post by Jumi » June 7th, 2015, 10:56 am

Update: Coming along nicely! I've finally got my level 3 garrison, and I've collected a good number of the pets!

•Level 3 Menagerie - Still level 2.
•Level 3 Barn (medium plot building) - Still level 2.
•Level 2 Trading Post (medium plot building) - Haven't built it yet.
•Inn (Alliance) or Tavern (Horde) (medium plot building) - Got the peachick hatchling, but the Sentinel's Companion is something else. It's really expensive on the AH and the quest to get it looks pretty tough. I think I'm going to get rid of the inn after I get it.
•Tailoring Emporium (must have tailoring to craft pets) - Level 2. Got the Elekk plushie!
•The Forge (must have blacksmithing to craft pets) - Can't do it.
•Engineering Works (you do not have to have engineering to craft pets) - Level 2. Got all three!
•Herb Garden (any level) - Level 3. Haven't gotten Mr. Carrot yet. Still collecting Draenor seeds. Haven't gotten whatever those random attack podlings drop, either.
•Frostwall Mines or Lunarfall Excavation (any level) - Level 3. Haven't gotten red Goren egg yet.
•Level 3 Fishing Shack (must have Nat Pagle as a follower and assign him to the shack) Level 2. Still fishing up enormous fish for the cheevo.

Also, off-topic, I've also built the stable. How many missions do I have to take these mounts on before I can summon them whenever I want? The missions aren't too difficult (except for that spore monster one), but man are they spread out. Good source of garrison resources, though. Also, do the quests continue after you get the mounts? The battle ones aren't too bad, but I don't even want to have to capture some of these mounts again (looking at you, snarler).

Also, I picked up the warm Goren egg and am very disappointed that it only results in a toy when it hatches rather than a pet or mount. :-(

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » June 7th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Jumi wrote:•Inn (Alliance) or Tavern (Horde) (medium plot building) - Got the peachick hatchling, but the Sentinel's Companion is something else. It's really expensive on the AH and the quest to get it looks pretty tough. I think I'm going to get rid of the inn after I get it.

Also, off-topic, I've also built the stable. How many missions do I have to take these mounts on before I can summon them whenever I want? The missions aren't too difficult (except for that spore monster one), but man are they spread out. Good source of garrison resources, though. Also, do the quests continue after you get the mounts?
The Sentinel's Companion "quest" is just another dungeon quest, just like the peachick. Simply queue in / join a group for the required dungeon, pick up the item, finish the dungeon and that's it.

The stable mounts take a few weeks of dailies to unlock the actual mounts. I don't know the actual number but it felt like roughly 3 weeks maybe?

The daily quests are no longer available once you have the mount so you won't get that nice boost of resources after all the mounts are obtained.

Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Luciandk » June 7th, 2015, 12:58 pm

Not true on the stables dailies. You can get all 6 dailies from the beginning. Some of the mounts takes less dailies to be finished. But if you begin them all at once, you are done in about a week.