What's the one pet you just can't seem to get?!

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us
Re: What's the one pet you just can't seem to get?!

Post by Lysi » February 7th, 2012, 3:49 pm

Pinkymac wrote:Sprite Darter! I farm that little bugger constantly and have yet to see it, I even check the AH everyday on some off chance it pops up on there! It's so pretty and colorful, it will match my pink haired troll perfectly!
They're bind on pick-up, so no use checking the AH. I'm seeing a lot of frustration in posts over at Wowhead. It was fine as a sprite darter drop, but now it seems to be an extremely rare zone drop.. For zone drops this rare, the pet usually can be sold, but this one can't. I never understood why they didn't just add a Horde questline, it's not like the Grimtotem are friendly to Horde. Both sides should have this as a fun quest! Instead it almost seems unobtainable now. I'm so glad Lysi has hers already, got it the old fashioned way. I hope you have some good luck and find it!
Last edited by Lysi on February 26th, 2012, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

WindEclipse
Pet Score:1342
Realm:Khadgar-us

Post by WindEclipse » February 8th, 2012, 7:44 pm

There are several i just can't seem to get. But the Fox Kit has been the worst, i have spent just shy of 30 days (not consecutive) farming it. No drops. It's also a boring pet to farm. However I have for the time being given up hunting I did however get the Sea Pony pet which brought me to my 150th pet. Giving me the Celestial Dragon * i so love it* getting me to 151. However I'm working on the disgusting ozzling now.

Amayalou
Realm:Kul Tiras-us

Post by Amayalou » February 14th, 2012, 3:28 pm

The Celestial Dragon, I am at 140, soooo close yet so far away ><

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » February 23rd, 2012, 1:00 am

I have had awful luck getting the kirin tor familiar, I am still stuck at 3 of of the books read on my main, i have alts who have breezed to 6 books read in a few circuits of dalaran.

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » February 23rd, 2012, 2:36 pm

Jazeel wrote:I have had awful luck getting the kirin tor familiar, I am still stuck at 3 of of the books read on my main, i have alts who have breezed to 6 books read in a few circuits of dalaran.
I did that, the Sewer Rat and the Dalaran fountain fishing all at the same time.

Still took me several weeks of doing nothing but flying about and fishing :P

Ladysong

Post by Ladysong » February 23rd, 2012, 2:39 pm

There are so many pets that just...Well, they seem to want nothing to do with my toons these days. Back in vanilla, I farm two Crimson Whelpling pets, and about 6 Dark Whelpling pets..Now that I'm on another server and actually want them for myself? No drops. It's the same for the Azure and Emerald ones, and the Sprite darter. Just started Arch yesterday and already have my first pet up for solving, but my other collector with maxed Arch still has no claw or pterodaxx...

I've had the same issue with the Oozling, and the Hyacinth...BUT! I did manage to finally get a Hyacinth for a mere 5000g...So now the only other -really- rare pets that elude me are the Razzashi and Gundrak raptors, and the Black Tabby...At least the Tabby I can farm for while working on Loremaster and Arch.

3 of 8 Dalaran books, 2 of 4 baby crocs, no Mr. Pinchy yet...And no rat...But the # 1 pet that eludes me?

The Baradin Fox Kit.

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » February 23rd, 2012, 6:39 pm

Ladysong wrote:There are so many pets that just...Well, they seem to want nothing to do with my toons these days. Back in vanilla, I farm two Crimson Whelpling pets, and about 6 Dark Whelpling pets..Now that I'm on another server and actually want them for myself? No drops. It's the same for the Azure and Emerald ones, and the Sprite darter. Just started Arch yesterday and already have my first pet up for solving, but my other collector with maxed Arch still has no claw or pterodaxx...

I've had the same issue with the Oozling, and the Hyacinth...BUT! I did manage to finally get a Hyacinth for a mere 5000g...So now the only other -really- rare pets that elude me are the Razzashi and Gundrak raptors, and the Black Tabby...At least the Tabby I can farm for while working on Loremaster and Arch.

3 of 8 Dalaran books, 2 of 4 baby crocs, no Mr. Pinchy yet...And no rat...But the # 1 pet that eludes me?

The Baradin Fox Kit.
Have you tried the Gundrak lately? With less competition now I've had an easier time getting it to drop. If you're gone a few times around killing raptors for the Gundrak, and see a green armor/weapon drop, do not stop farming--when I've gotten it to drop, it's usually after seeing a couple greens. But if it goes back to a gray weapon/armor shortly after, or the best you can get is gray, it's like the mobs are tapped out. Maybe it's just me but I've seen the pattern a few times. The Crimson whelps are impossible now, I hate it when they change something to a zone drop (before Cata they dropped in a pattern similar to the Gundrak).

Swiiftwiind
MVP
Pet Score:4044
Realm:Moonglade-eu

Post by Swiiftwiind » September 1st, 2012, 2:52 pm

Oh the same as so many others , its the Crawling Claw. My Husband and I do arcaeology together ( he's got the vial of sands so he takes me around to the dig sites like a personal dragon taxi ) 3-4 times a week 2-3 hours a time. And I spend a few hours a night digging, still hoping for it. :cry:

Before the Claw though it would be the Tol Barad fox kit, Spent ages in there and for the slap in the face a friend goes there finds it and even his son gets one ages before me. :x

Plucky
Pet Score:2757
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Plucky » September 1st, 2012, 6:08 pm

I'm probably going to say the Crimson Whelping, it's pretty rare in the AH, and even with AoE looting, it's still an extremely boring grind for it....you might even find a dark whelping at a higher rate in comparison, sure there's the AH, but they're extremely rare there. 0,0

If that doesn't count, then possibly the Spirit of Competition, mostly because the past few opportunities it could've been enabled...wasn't enabled, even the current Olympics wasn't safe. 0,0

Which is sort of strange, since it's essentially a Chinese Dragon...it would've been relevant with Mists.

EDIT: The Fox Kit could be gained from TB Vendors for 200 tokens, since there no Daily Quest Cap, theres no need to pick one group of quests over the other, by the time Mists comes out, you'll probably have a hearty supply of tokens for the Kit....and if you happened to obtain a Kit before 200 tokens....you could always buy the flashlight and let the timer run out and sell thsoe for gold?

Gosu2009
Pet Score:1780
Realm:Wrathbringer-eu

Post by Gosu2009 » September 1st, 2012, 6:13 pm

over 4000 noxxious whelps killed - no emerald whelpling (got it as a gift from guild mate) and no sprite darter egg.
MF dailies done for the last 5 months and no scorchling pet just the random greens.
gave up on fox kit will just buy it with TB points.

Idoru
Pet Score:3298
Realm:Aggramar-eu

Post by Idoru » September 3rd, 2012, 3:40 am

Mojo :(

Tried so many times, still no luck.

Cirdan
Pet Score:1691
Realm:Darksorrow-eu

Post by Cirdan » September 3rd, 2012, 4:38 am

Emerald Whelp.. tried so hard to get it in the past, it is the only pet I`ve largely given up on once I`d decided to try for it. I still drop by and kill 20 or so if I am in the area but not getting my hopes up.

On the plus side the Sea Pony finally dropped for me, I guess after about 750 catches.

Yaafm
Pet Score:3669
Realm:Durotan-us

Post by Yaafm » September 3rd, 2012, 11:53 pm

Damn claw. No Crawling claw yet, though ive only done some 200 digs so not so bad yet. Took me over 350 Gundrak Raptors to get mine though. So that was bad but I did get it.

Mairin
Top Rater
Pet Score:3202
Realm:Blade's Edge-us

Post by Mairin » September 11th, 2012, 5:50 am

The tiny crimson whelping has been the bane of my existance for years now. I've even used RAF to set myself up on a couple of additional servers just to improve my chances at finding one in the AH for under 50k...

Coy
MVP
Pet Score:5212
BattleTag®:Coy#1115
Realm:Exodar-us

Post by Coy » September 11th, 2012, 9:23 am

Sprite Darter Hatchling, oh my goodness. I've always done pet collecting on my druid, but I never went out to Feralas and did the quest to get the little guy. It didn't occur to me that I would lose that option. My paladin mocked me every time I logged on. SHE had done the quest, of course. I can't count how many hours I spent farming and then here comes along 5.0.4 and WHAMO! Sprite Darter Hatchling all around. :)

Plucky
Pet Score:2757
Realm:Bronze Dragonflight-eu

Post by Plucky » September 13th, 2012, 12:58 am

Coy wrote:I can't count how many hours I spent farming and then here comes along 5.0.4 and WHAMO! Sprite Darter Hatchling all around. :)
I...wish more concrete information about pets came out when Children's Week was about; otherwise i could've had Whiskers and Peanut in my collection, but i just have 2 Mr Wiggles. :X

but meh, it's one pet, by the time Childen's Week comes round again, i'll probably have hundreds of more pets walking around.

Also...the number of pets is a bit weird...especially for reskins or even exact skins....of functionally similar creatures, i mean the Chicken you can /Cluck at for the quest itself can be battled for capture, and the egg it lays hatches into a Westfall Chicken.....with the same model, sorry to be a bit of a peeve, but i think the Westfall Chicken needs to have a smaller model to differentiate it, or either have it's model changed to a Baby Chick or a model/rename to Westfall Rooster.

Mairin
Top Rater

Post by Mairin » September 13th, 2012, 4:59 am

Plucky wrote:Also...the number of pets is a bit weird...especially for reskins or even exact skins....of functionally similar creatures, i mean the Chicken you can /Cluck at for the quest itself can be battled for capture, and the egg it lays hatches into a Westfall Chicken.....with the same model, sorry to be a bit of a peeve, but i think the Westfall Chicken needs to have a smaller model to differentiate it, or either have it's model changed to a Baby Chick or a model/rename to Westfall Rooster.
That goes both ways too, not just there's different pet IDs that have the exact same skin but there's also the same pet IDs with different skins. To try and stay on topic, I can just picture myself now:

"Ok I have a rare red Snare and I have a blue Snake, now to pray for a Snake that's rare AND blue..."

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » September 13th, 2012, 8:58 am

They changed the Cockroach to Undercity Cockroach, so they seem to be trying to fix some of the ambiguity..

Mairin
Top Rater

Post by Mairin » September 13th, 2012, 12:02 pm

Lysi wrote:They changed the Cockroach to Undercity Cockroach, so they seem to be trying to fix some of the ambiguity..
Yep but now it gets a little weird where you start seeing Undercity cockroaches in the Wetlands.

Imthedci
Pet Score:2862
Realm:Gilneas-us

Post by Imthedci » September 13th, 2012, 12:07 pm

Mairin wrote:
Lysi wrote:They changed the Cockroach to Undercity Cockroach, so they seem to be trying to fix some of the ambiguity..
Yep but now it gets a little weird where you start seeing Undercity cockroaches in the Wetlands.
I wondered what those were doing there... :o