Murki!?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Spyro
Pet Score:3317
Realm:Feathermoon-us
Murki!?

Post by Spyro » December 5th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Another baby murloc has shown up on the site : Murki, not to be confused with Murky. Another baby murloc for a promotion I, and many players cannot participate in even if we wanted to. Another baby murloc I have to exclude. It was just added today to the database but is not designated as "new", so I assume it existed for a while but was just overlooked.

Is it really too much to ask for at least one baby murloc pet that is available in game to everyone? Just one murloc that isn't some some sort of mutant or wearing some outlandish armor? And can it be green?

Linaomine
Pet Score:8585
BattleTag®:jrevenge#1115
Realm:Area 52-us

Re: Murki!?

Post by Linaomine » December 5th, 2012, 3:55 pm

The promotional region specific pets really irritate me, just give them as some random promotion to all regions don't limit them to only one.

Zaelo
Pet Score:5086
Realm:Vek'nilash-us

Post by Zaelo » December 5th, 2012, 3:57 pm

I think that feeling is shared by all tamers.. me included.. :(

No idea if Murki is new or not though.. but there's indeed no easily accessible Murloc pet, and that is pretty sad.

The_guy
Pet Score:4714
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by The_guy » December 5th, 2012, 4:11 pm

:( why did they have to waste the orange murloc on this. I would of rather had it be blizzcon 13, a green one for Blizzcon 13 would be nice too, but as Spyro said keep it like the desgin of the classic murky. Although something inside me feels like since there was no blizzcon 12 they may have some diablo murky for 13.

*Edit: forgot about murkablo so now i really wish i knew what blizzcon 13 will give O.o

Syrrie
MVP
Pet Score:6201
BattleTag®:Syrrie#1506
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Syrrie » December 5th, 2012, 4:42 pm

Something my husband pointed out to me that's good to keep in mind about this is that Korea and China don't have access to TCG pets or the Blizz Store pets, because apparently that sort of thing is illegal there. So while it sucks that we can't get them they have a number that they can't get either.

I, personally, would rather everything be available to everyone.
Image Image

Geckomedic
Pet Score:4532
BattleTag®:GeckoRob#1714
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Geckomedic » December 5th, 2012, 5:13 pm

Both Korea and China have had more promo pets then other regions, the new "Spectral Cub" is a promo for China if I remember correctly, so while you may be on a EU or NA/US server you can not get this Cub even if you wanted to. Instead you need to buy either a ton of TCG Cards or buy it on Ebay/other TCG Re-sellers. If this is yet another pet that is going to China/Korea and not made available to other servers, I'm going to be fairly disappointing in Blizzard, they have made the Mt Dew pet available from a vendor, why not make others available so all pet collectors can enjoy the pets ?

Spyro

Post by Spyro » December 5th, 2012, 5:18 pm

That is really not the point Theaah. There are 5 normal murlocs and not a single one is available to players in game through in game means. Another Blizzcon pet would mean the same thing all over again.

Zingela
Top Rater
Pet Score:3313
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Zingela » December 5th, 2012, 8:04 pm

AFAIK, China does not use a traditional monthly subscription model like most other regions that play the game, so it's likely that they offer these incentives to get players to buy more play time/come back to the game. I know one of Activision Blizzard's earnings calls last year pointed out that most of the players lost that year were from that region, so that could have something to do with it.

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » December 5th, 2012, 10:16 pm

From what I've heard this was an old promo, probably like 5 years ago. I don't think Blizzard understood how much people would love these murloc pets. They seem to think murlocs like Deathy are better, but those murlocs don't appeal to me. I just want a couple of the little cute tadpoles like the ones in the Borean tundra quest. I've bid $1000 or more on eBay for Murky, twice, didn't get one. I'm not doing that again. Apparently a cute murloc in game or for a reasonable price is too much to ask. :(
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Nyrina4life
Pet Score:1788
Realm:Thorium Brotherhood-us

Post by Nyrina4life » December 6th, 2012, 5:58 am

=(
I keep seeing the new additions, and murloc pets ... it makes me sad. I think, if the game manages to make it a full ten years they should give every single player a Murloc, as it seems to be their mascot of choice. We got two pets via yearly anniversaries (maybe more, I wasn't always on). So maybe a Murloc, as a final thank you to those still playing?

Moiread

Post by Moiread » December 7th, 2012, 12:34 am

They could make SO MUCH MONEY if they offered digital collector's editions for previous boxes and sold the old pets in the pet store. I would pretty much hand over my paycheck.

Linaomine
Pet Score:8585
BattleTag®:jrevenge#1115
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Linaomine » December 7th, 2012, 9:14 am

Moiread wrote:They could make SO MUCH MONEY if they offered digital collector's editions for previous boxes and sold the old pets in the pet store. I would pretty much hand over my paycheck.
Amen to that.

Waveryn
Pet Score:13627
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Waveryn » December 7th, 2012, 10:21 am

Blizz could really make some money for Sandy Storm, we most likely all paid the $10 for the Kitten, think what they could do offering all the past Promotional only pets, and make it feasible from $10-$35 depending on rarity.
Wave

Breanni
Site Admin
Pet Score:1499
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Breanni » December 7th, 2012, 12:25 pm

Moiread wrote:They could make SO MUCH MONEY if they offered digital collector's editions for previous boxes and sold the old pets in the pet store. I would pretty much hand over my paycheck.
The problem with this approach (and the reason I don't think they'll ever try it) is that collectors who did pay exorbitant amounts to get these exclusive pets on the secondary market would be very upset. Additionally, these types of pets were always intended to be very rare rewards -- I think Blizzard wants to preserve their rarity in the world.

That said, I do think it's possible that we might see the last of the baby murloc skins, the green Kwirky, become available in some fashion down the road.

Spyro

Post by Spyro » December 7th, 2012, 4:01 pm

They should not make previous collector's edition pets available. They sold those editions saying those pets were exclusive. At the time there was no digital CE. With Mists people had the option from the start to get the digital CE.

I tweeted Mumper "How about a baby murloc (no armor, non-mutant) available in game to all players somehow?"

and he said "I don't foresee that happening. Murky is unique to players that went to the inaugural BlizzCon in 2005. "

That is quite invalid. They have made a murloc available for coke promotions. There is obviously no sense of exclusivity or uniqueness for the baby Murloc model.

Tweak
Top Rater
Pet Score:8842
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Tweak » December 7th, 2012, 4:17 pm

And lets not forget the Pink one, who was just given out willy-nilly to all owners of the Burning Crusade collector's edition in Europe... for a mistake that only -briefly- affected -some- owners of the Burning Crusade collector's edition. That one really steams my hams...

The Chinese and European promo pets not available here irritated me a little before. Not a ton, but a little, cause they were ignorable... but then they did two things that sent my irritation over the edge...

One: They added them all to the pet journal anyway... as if to say, "Hay! Look at all these pets you will NEVER EVER OWN!"

Two: They re-released the previously exclusive and special Warbot AS A SIMPLE VENDOR PET!? So American Mountain Dew Promo = let's stick it on a vendor and give it to EVERYONE... but Chinese Coke Promo... naw... those have to stay exclusive.

That simple little asterisk next to the whole "Exclusive should stay exclusive" argument really burns my canolies.

"We can't re-release these promo pets they're special."

"Except for this one you already had."

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » December 12th, 2012, 10:00 pm

Spyro wrote:They should not make previous collector's edition pets available. They sold those editions saying those pets were exclusive. At the time there was no digital CE. With Mists people had the option from the start to get the digital CE.

I tweeted Mumper "How about a baby murloc (no armor, non-mutant) available in game to all players somehow?"

and he said "I don't foresee that happening. Murky is unique to players that went to the inaugural BlizzCon in 2005. "

That is quite invalid. They have made a murloc available for coke promotions. There is obviously no sense of exclusivity or uniqueness for the baby Murloc model.
I replied to that tweet, no luck. I don't think we're going to win this one. I'll have my husband put it on my gravestone, "Still waiting for a cute baby murloc."
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Drrum
MVP
Pet Score:4507
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Drrum » December 14th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Just tossing my 2c in on the murloc discussion. I'm with you guys. The special murlocs that are completely concealed in armor or epic skins don't really look like murlocs to me (other than their walk). I love the plain ol' frog-skin, floppy feet, noodle-dorsal murlocs. I adore the orange one, but at this point I'd take any color just to have an actual murloc.

Breehit
Pet Score:2996
Realm:Galakrond-us

Post by Breehit » December 14th, 2012, 3:17 pm

I sooo despise all those Chinese pets that most of us will never, ever get to see, much less to acquire. I teach marketing and I understand the need to attract certain market segments, but come on Blizz...don't forget your core audience! Customer relationship management theory suggests that customer retention is more valuable, in the long run, than new customer recruitment.