Killing battle pets

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Arkyle
Pet Score:10421
Realm:Alonsus-eu
Killing battle pets

Post by Arkyle » January 29th, 2015, 12:07 pm

My normal mode when collecting pets has been to engage, check for blues, escape out of the battle and then kill the pet with blizzard or some other spell. Today that's not working in Shadowmoon. Has something changed and I missed it?

Topaz
Pet Score:4045
Realm:Magtheridon-eu

Re: Killing battle pets

Post by Topaz » January 29th, 2015, 12:30 pm

you cant kill battle pets with abilities anymore

Stormseeker
Top Rater
Pet Score:6801
BattleTag®:Stormseeker#1145
Realm:Anvilmar-us

Post by Stormseeker » January 29th, 2015, 12:53 pm

I think it's the new draenor battle pets that can't be killed. I was looking for the shadow sporebat yesterday and had to clear some mobs to get to the snail to battle it (just to clear spawn for the sporebat and work on lvling another pet... anyway) and it got too close and was killed by my keg smash. Not a big deal but it does seem pets that are available outside of draenor zones CAN be killed with abilities but not the new draenor ones.

Post by Guest » January 29th, 2015, 1:04 pm

Arkyle wrote:My normal mode when collecting pets has been to engage, check for blues, escape out of the battle and then kill the pet with blizzard or some other spell. Today that's not working in Shadowmoon. Has something changed and I missed it?
This is a foolish thing to do in any case. Stones are easy to find/ earn, breed is worth far more as you cannot change a breed.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » January 29th, 2015, 2:55 pm

Thralkhar wrote:
Arkyle wrote:My normal mode when collecting pets has been to engage, check for blues, escape out of the battle and then kill the pet with blizzard or some other spell. Today that's not working in Shadowmoon. Has something changed and I missed it?
This is a foolish thing to do in any case. Stones are easy to find/ earn, breed is worth far more as you cannot change a breed.
It's not foolish - it's just not your play style. Not everyone can have a thousand plus charms lying around to turn every pet rare (yeah, I have no life, I know). Not only that, some people prefer to capture their rares and not stone them on principle.

However, to speak to the OP I believe what you can do instead when you are in draenor is have a capture team and a checking team. Start the fight with your checking team - if it is not a rare do a single damaging move (not sure if non-damaging will work - worth testing, open with Deflection if so). When you forfeit the team will not respawn because of the damage done. If it is a rare, forfeit, switch to your capture team, and reengage. You can also do the same thing if you can beat the teams you are encountering with 1 or 2 pets, just have your 1st pet be one with a damaging move and something like decoy. If it's a rare, drop a decoy and swap, if it's not a rare use an attack move and forfeit. I prefer the 2 teams, though, since I don't care how low the checking team pets health goes.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » January 29th, 2015, 3:04 pm

Stormseeker wrote:I think it's the new draenor battle pets that can't be killed. I was looking for the shadow sporebat yesterday and had to clear some mobs to get to the snail to battle it (just to clear spawn for the sporebat and work on lvling another pet... anyway) and it got too close and was killed by my keg smash. Not a big deal but it does seem pets that are available outside of draenor zones CAN be killed with abilities but not the new draenor ones.
MOST of the battle pets in Draenor can't be killed by player abilities. The Moonshell Crab can be killed (unless that was hotfixed). Can't say I've gone around and tested the others... I just go with the assumption that I can't kill pets in Draenor.
Rendigar wrote:
Thralkhar wrote:This is a foolish thing to do in any case. Stones are easy to find/ earn, breed is worth far more as you cannot change a breed.
It's not foolish - it's just not your play style. Not everyone can have a thousand plus charms lying around to turn every pet rare (yeah, I have no life, I know). Not only that, some people prefer to capture their rares and not stone them on principle.
^ This. Each person has their own approach to pet battles and collecting. I still vastly prefer to capture rares regardless of how many stones I have, and that's with looking for specific breed and skins on top of that.

Post by Guest » January 29th, 2015, 3:12 pm

Rendigar wrote:
Thralkhar wrote:
It's not foolish - it's just not your play style.
Character shows through, if you decide you would rather kill off pets rather than simply defeat them and let them go or abandon the fight, then I suggest it says something about you as a person.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » January 29th, 2015, 3:47 pm

Thralkhar wrote:Character shows through, if you decide you would rather kill off pets rather than simply defeat them and let them go or abandon the fight, then I suggest it says something about you as a person.
Really? You play a video game where you kill tens of thousands of digital humans, orcs, kobolds, gnomes, and everything else... But someone who kills a battle pet to get a new one to respawn appears to be worthy of only contempt? (yes, my word, but you're the one making the comment) Methinks you should avoid throwing stones from inside your glass house lest it fall down upon you.

Killing a battle pet on purpose is no more or less morally worthy of judgement than playing WoW at all. It's using the game mechanics to get what you want. It's a game - get off your moral high horse and play the GAME, don't waste clock cycles of your life passing judgement on people you'll never meet who are doing nothing different than what you do in your weekly Highmaul LFR runs - killing digital enemies to get digital rewards that have no value in the real world.

Dwamli
Pet Score:9257
Realm:Terokkar-us

Post by Dwamli » January 29th, 2015, 4:15 pm

[/quote]Character shows through, if you decide you would rather kill off pets rather than simply defeat them and let them go or abandon the fight, then I suggest it says something about you as a person.[/quote]

I think your statement here is simply idiotic. He is attempting to force a mechanic, not enabling a holocaust. Grow up.

Abashera
Pet Score:3114
Realm:Hyjal-us

Post by Abashera » January 29th, 2015, 5:09 pm

I just kill the first pet, then forfeit.

I have a team called "sacrificial" that I used in the lower level zones. I name it that because they sacrifice their health to check for rarity and breed. Now I have a team called "KILL" because that's what you have to do now. I just sick my Emerald Proto-Whelp on it, because he comes out with full health most of the time.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » January 29th, 2015, 7:10 pm

Let's keep this discussion friendly. [profile]Thralkhar[/profile], everyone has a different way of playing the game and collecting/battling pets. Although it might not be your preferred method or it might not be the popular way of doing things, we still encourage everyone to be respectful of each other's gameplay choices.
Stormseeker wrote:I think it's the new draenor battle pets that can't be killed.
This. I haven't tested it on every Draenor-specific pet, but it would make sense if they are immune to player attacks and spells (especially if they spawn in low numbers in a small area, such as the Shadow Sporebat).

Other than that, though, nothing's changed. You can still kill most wild pets with player attacks and spells. Draenor wild pets are just exempt -- must have something to do with the crazy timey-wimey stuff going on. :P
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Post by Guest » January 30th, 2015, 12:38 am

Quintessence wrote:Let's keep this discussion friendly. [profile]Thralkhar[/profile], everyone has a different way of playing the game and collecting/battling pets. Although it might not be your preferred method or it might not be the popular way of doing things, we still encourage everyone to be respectful of each other's gameplay choices.
Sorry, can't do that. I will not respond further, and had left this thread behind but someone pointed out that I was mentioned directly, so I will address it.

Someone will never do in a game what you would not do in real life if you thought there were no consequences. That is what I mean by character shows through. So, if you are the kind of person who would simply run around and kill a bunch of harmless animals because there were not the one you were looking for, then that is the kind of person you are.

So again, I had left the thread, but because I was pulled back into it, I will stand my ground. I do not have to respect everyone, because if I did it would be the same as respecting no one. Nor, do I have to be respectful of their choices. And if saying so, and doing what I honestly believe is right earns me the ire of you as a mod, then I trust you will do what you believe to be appropriate also.

Arkyle
Pet Score:10421
Realm:Alonsus-eu

Post by Arkyle » January 30th, 2015, 2:30 am

Ooook, this thread took a turn I didn't expect :P

Thanks for the info about different strategies, much appreciated. It does however seem odd that they change the mechanic dependant on the zone.