Theming your garrison

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Mrbeankc
Pet Score:4299
Realm:Lightbringer-us
Theming your garrison

Post by Mrbeankc » January 26th, 2015, 1:03 am

Had an invasion today and my wife was going to come to take part. I decided to have a little fun pet wise with my garrison. I made all my favorite pets the cockroaches as well as a few rats. Basically I turned my garrison into a cockroach infested dump pet wise.

It got me thinking. You really can theme your garrison using pets. For example Easter is coming in March. Fill your garrison with rabbits. On Halloween do all the creepy pets include bats, the sinister squashling and a black cat. Christmas use just Father Christmas' helpers, your reindeer and snowmen.

You don't have to do holiday stuff. Use the Crazy Cat Lady title and fill your garrison with cats. Do just spiders or robots or birds.

The only problem doing this it's a little cumbersome going through the pet list and listing new ones favorites and unlisting others. I wish there was an add on that made it so you could switch out your favorites more quickly and easily.

Fythra
Pet Score:12907
Realm:Madoran-us

Re: Theming your garrison

Post by Fythra » January 26th, 2015, 9:26 am

I have this going right now with my elemental shaman. All elemental pets (real elementals like Pebble, Searing scorchling,etc) wandering around my garrison. Unfortunately, Favorites is account-wide, not per character. Otherwise, I could have a lot of themed garrisons :).

Furkel
Top Rater
Pet Score:13624
Realm:Moonglade-eu

Post by Furkel » January 26th, 2015, 9:47 am

I briefly had a VERY gnome-themed garrison - all mechanical pets and Gnomeregan guards. I've also had all cats and all dragon whelps for a bit, but then HERE'S MY PROBLEM: I've chosen to favorite all my daily quest pets for easy access, and now there's no theme whatsoever! They really should add a system other than favorites to choose which pets appear in your garrison, because I'd also love to have a different theme for every alt.

Buruan
Pet Score:11735
Realm:Eitrigg-us

Post by Buruan » January 26th, 2015, 9:50 am

Its all the Dragon Whelps for me.
When they fly in formation it looks really cool.

Only thing that worries me is that the Dark Whelp will grow into Deathwing 2 ultimately, I am keeping a close eye on him.

A bit of a tangent, I think I am losing my garrison staff.
They are all hardened fighters from many battles, and I their commander, show up for an hour here and there, pick herbs, mine ores, knit some stuff, brew some potions and then play with my pets.
One of them actually asked the other day, "How long are we going to stay in that Garrison of yours".
I am losing them soon, If I dont start killing something.

Mrbeankc
Pet Score:4299
Realm:Lightbringer-us

Post by Mrbeankc » January 26th, 2015, 1:10 pm

I like some of the ideas here. I especially like the idea of making it so each alt can have their own theme. I have an herbalist/alchemist alt and I like the idea of doing all plants for her garrison while having a magical theme for my jewel crafter enchanter alt. Unfortunately as it stands now you can't do that.

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » January 26th, 2015, 1:15 pm

Buruan wrote:Its all the Dragon Whelps for me.
When they fly in formation it looks really cool.

Only thing that worries me is that the Dark Whelp will grow into Deathwing 2 ultimately, I am keeping a close eye on him.

A bit of a tangent, I think I am losing my garrison staff.
They are all hardened fighters from many battles, and I their commander, show up for an hour here and there, pick herbs, mine ores, knit some stuff, brew some potions and then play with my pets.
One of them actually asked the other day, "How long are we going to stay in that Garrison of yours".
The "How Long..." question really worries me. I'm afraid that one day, I'll log in, have a Garrison invasion quest, and it won't be an invasion, but an uprising. Because like you, all I do is pick some herbs, mine some rocks, hit some stuff on an anvil, play with pets, and go fishing. I think they think they work harder than me....

Note: Theming is an awesome idea. Right now, my "favorites" are actual FAVORITES, so random pets are all over....but I do think I'm going to play around with that.
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » January 26th, 2015, 3:50 pm

I started off with all Pandaren elementals, then switched to mechanicals, but ended up letting the pets randomly decide who gets to come out.

The only pet I kept favorited is the bugged Twilight Beetle... I like having a wolf mount chasing me around. :)

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » January 26th, 2015, 4:36 pm

My favorites was and still is my "useful" pets that I wanted to be able to grab for teams easily. So thing like Pandaren water spirit, Zand raptors, Emerald Prot-Whelpling etc. I don't think I really need that anymore but haven't bothered to change it.

I wonder if an add-on could handle making sets of favorites that could easily be assigned? If they made it auto-load by character you'd have your theme's customized by toons.

Opallena
Top Rater
Pet Score:13227
BattleTag®:Opallena#1359
Realm:Nazjatar-us

Post by Opallena » January 26th, 2015, 7:21 pm

I like the Idea of doing holiday themed Garrisons, I've started doing themes randomly whenever I feel like changing up my favorites list. Right now it's anything that looks like it's made of fire, from actual elementals to Cinder Kitten and Firehawk. Before, it was all felines. Thinking about doing a Night Elf theme (Wisps, owls, treants) next.

Klaital
Pet Score:4516
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Klaital » January 27th, 2015, 2:37 am

Yeah it would be really nice if they would change it so you could choose which pets show up in your garrison from the pet battle npc similarly to how you can choose what herbs to plant from the herb garden npc, that way it could easily be made to be character specific, and still allow me to keep my favorites list for those pets I actually often use in battles.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » January 27th, 2015, 3:20 pm

Mrbeankc wrote:The only problem doing this it's a little cumbersome going through the pet list and listing new ones favorites and unlisting others. I wish there was an add on that made it so you could switch out your favorites more quickly and easily.
This. I would switch up the pets in my garrison more frequently if only if it weren't a pain to switch favorites constantly. I'd change my garrison pets as often as I change my xmog (multiple times a week) :lol:

For those familiar with coding and addons: Would it even be possible to create a "favorites" addon similar to the addons that save pet teams?
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Principa
Top Rater
Pet Score:9797
BattleTag®:Principa#1346
Realm:Winterhoof-us

Post by Principa » January 30th, 2015, 11:51 am

Darolyn wrote:
Buruan wrote: A bit of a tangent, I think I am losing my garrison staff.
The "How Long..." question really worries me. I'm afraid that one day, I'll log in, have a Garrison invasion quest, and it won't be an invasion, but an uprising. Because like you, all I do is pick some herbs, mine some rocks, hit some stuff on an anvil, play with pets, and go fishing. I think they think they work harder than me....
I, too, feel like my leadership skills are also creating an uninspired garrison. They were all like "whoa, this Principa is a big deal! She saved our entire land! IMA FOLLOW HER!", and then all I do is run around with my pets for like 20 minutes a day and be all "thanks for the garrison resources lol" and leave. An uprising is surely imminent.

Amethice
Top Rater
Pet Score:12952
BattleTag®:Uncia#2791
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Amethice » February 1st, 2015, 7:21 am

I had a theme running with my main (human warlock) while she was the only one with the menagerie, having demons, floating spellbooks, eyes and a few random creepies haunting my garrison.

Then another alt hit 100 and got a menagerie, and it didn't really fit anymore. =(

So I really hope they can let us do this character-wide rather than account-wide soon...

But then, I want a lot more customization for my garrison as it is. I'd love Cenarion-themed guards for my druid's one, and then having all the various plants and other druid-friendly pets from the menagerie running around, too.

Not to speak of theming buildings... but I guess that's just too much work for Blizzard. =/

Finnelis
Pet Score:9316
Realm:Kirin Tor-eu

Post by Finnelis » February 2nd, 2015, 7:49 am

Back before the release of WoD, I had read that the Menagerie building would allow you to set some pets in your garnison, but wasn't aware yet that it would be an account wide mechanism. So back then I had planned themed teams of pets for each of my 11 charachters depending on race, proffession and class.

Sadly, it was all for nought and nowdays I just let them come randomly.