Lanticore Spawnling - Group loot vs Personal loot

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Lanticore Spawnling - Group loot vs Personal loot

Post by Quintessence » December 28th, 2014, 8:49 pm

After finally seeing The Lanticore rarespawn pop up in a random heroic, I got my hopes up when we killed it. To my surprise, however, no one in the group was able to roll on anything. The rarespawn didn't appear as lootable for anyone in the group. It was pretty devastating since a developer mentioned the pet was 100% drop rate. :(

Thinking this may have been a bug, I inquired further and it turns out that drop rates are different depending on what you have it set as.

"Droprates when loot is on Personal are different than when loot is on Group." - Jeremy Feasel

So just some clarification for those that may have run into the same situation as me. It's disappointing but at least now I know not to expect anything when randoming H UBRS. This also means I need to figure out a way to solo or two-man H UBRS up to The Lanticore area... :P
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Re: Lanticore Spawnling - Group loot vs Personal loot

Post by Graven » December 29th, 2014, 8:53 am

This is quite disappointing. I knew it would be rare because there haven't been that many for sale, but I didn't expect it'd be impossible to get at all in a random dungeon group. :(

After reading about this I went and bought one from the AH today for 10k. If anyone else is doing the same I hope you get a good deal, and if anyone is taking a group to UBRS to get it the proper way, I wish you all the luck too! :)

Name it Eborsisk because it reminds me a lot of the dragon thing in the film Willow. Apparently it was named that after Siskel and Ebert! :lol:

Tweak
Top Rater
Pet Score:8842
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Tweak » December 29th, 2014, 9:27 am

Well if there's any sense of logic behind the math, the drop rate when set to personal is probably 20%, being that under normal circumstances a single pet is a 100% drop when looted by 5 people, it would theoretically be set to a 1 in 5 shot when looted by one person.

That, imo, is a reasonable enough number to assume you could get it in a random pug eventually. If you want it NOW you're probably out of luck, but if you just want it eventually... running random UBRS daily would probably get you there in a reasonableish amount of time.

But, that's just assuming it was adjusted logically. Since we never know drop rates, who knows.

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » December 29th, 2014, 9:52 am

Maybe I shouldn't have said impossible, but odds don't look good do they. I don't know the likelihood of Lanticore spawning in any given UBRS run but I know I've run it a few times and haven't seen him yet. If we assume for example 10%, that'd mean you have somewhere around a 1 in 400 chance that your daily HC run will net you a pet (1 in 8 chance the daily will be UBRS, 1 in 10 chance that UBRS will contain rare spawn, 1 in 5 chance you'll win loot).

Tweak
Top Rater
Pet Score:8842
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Tweak » December 29th, 2014, 11:00 am

Well I'm personally eliminating the 1 in 8 chance the daily will be UBRS. If the goal is to farm a specific pet in a specific dungeon, I'd think one would be queuing for UBRS specifically, not relying on it to pop up as a random.

I look at it more in days than in statistics.

Run UBRS once a day (as the lockout allows)
Say one in every 10 days a Lanticore pops up (may be optimistic, but I don't know his spawn rate either)
And if the droprate is 1 in 5, and you (presumably) get it in one of those 5, it should only take a few months, tops. I've waited longer for plenty of pets.

Granted however, RNG is RNG, and everything I just said has no statistics behind it and assumes an awful lot. But it sounds a hell of a lot less dire than 1 in 400, so that's how I look at it, lol...

Similar situation to the Eye of Observation imo. Is how I see it. Rare isn't up every day. Pet doesn't drop every time. But if you check in daily and kill him whenever he is up, it doesn't take too long.

Kel
Pet Score:4788
BattleTag®:TerribleTim#1747
Realm:Ravencrest-us

Post by Kel » December 29th, 2014, 11:18 am

So when running UBS, now we need to talk the group into changing loot too? Great! :?
HayWire Motorsports
Tacoma, Washington
http://www.haywire-racing.com

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » December 29th, 2014, 1:25 pm

Well if you're running in a premade group that is able to change the loot method, you could only change the loot method for Lanticore kill. I've been there 7 times and never saw him. Not a lot, but I also don't have any reason or desire to run heroics. I don't regret at all buying the pet for 5.5k in the 1st or 2nd week after launch :) There's always 1-2 for sale, but the price has actually gone up it seems.

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » December 29th, 2014, 1:38 pm

I read a post by nechin on Wowhead.

If you have it on group loot it is 100% to drop once, and rolled on by all.

If you have it set to personal loot, the chance is split between all players. So five players each get 20% chance to get the drop. Which means there is a decent chance that no one will get it.

If I recall his post correctly, this is how it breaks down:
~ 33% that no one gets one.
~ 41% one person gets one.
~ 20% two people get one.
~ 5% three people get one.
< 1% four people get one.
< .01% all five get one.

There is math behind this, makes my head hurt to think about it. :roll: I am just relaying what I read, I have no concrete evidence that this is how it works, but it does seem reasonable given that there is indeed a chance for no drop at all. :|

That being said, if you could get a group who would consistently do this dungeon till everyone gets one your odds would get better and better as each member has one. Problem comes when someone gets one, can you count on them to keep coming. You would need to be pretty decent friends or a very honest stranger such as myself ;) to plan this with. I would say do group loot then for sure you would only need to kill him 5 times. In personal loot there is potential to go less than 5 kills but also potential for more than 5 kills.
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » December 29th, 2014, 2:36 pm

Personally I plan on waiting until I can solo up to (and including) the Lanticore, to guarantee the drop, unless I see it super cheap (I saw someone selling one for 2k, of course I was too slow to message him). The WoD dungeons are a lot tougher relative to the MoP ones, but as gear improves so will my chances of success. But so far I've only managed to solo Skyreach on normal.

Darolyn
Pet Score:5488
BattleTag®:Thaliana#1794
Realm:Kael'thas-us

Post by Darolyn » December 29th, 2014, 3:08 pm

So. How do we go about setting up farm groups for this? :)

I'm one of those "honest strangers" that would keep running it until everyone got. I'm sure a few on here would vouch for me. My main is on Kael'Thas/Alliance, and I would be willing to dedicate time almost daily to run this.

Is there ANY way we can do this?
Thaliana#1794 - My WoW account has 50 toons, so I would so greatly appreciate people creating toons on Kael'Thas or Ghostlands to trade with me. <3

Morlis
MVP
Pet Score:13720
BattleTag®:Morlis#1799
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Morlis » December 29th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Darolyn, I could bring a 100 Priest, while I am definitely better at Shadow for DPS, I could if need be run as Holy for healing. Though this may take some getting use to, I haven't healed in years. Also I could run a 100 Beast Master Hunter for DPS.

I am also on Kael'thas Alliance.

Best days for me are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday. The other 3 days are possible though I often play another game with some friends on those days.
  • Morlis Alliance Kael'Thus 60 Shadow Priest (main account)
  • Morlis Horde Madoran 60 Beast Master Hunter (main account)
  • Altuno Horde Madoran 60 Vengeance Demon Hunter (main account)
  • Vandì Horde Madoran 60 Arcane Mage (alt account)