Darkmoon Crow and Glowfly FIXED!!

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Hellomynameis
Pet Score:2162
Realm:Shattered Hand-eu
Re: Darkmoon Crow and Glowfly FIXED!!

Post by Hellomynameis » December 5th, 2012, 5:11 am

Breanni wrote:I've never been a fan of censorship.
(...)
At the very least, you're owed a more detailed explanation.
(...)
I personally spent weeks monitoring the forums.
Glad to see we are on the same page, and thanks so much for the explaination.
Breanni wrote:The final decision came about largely as the result of the actions taken by the site developers. These actions include using our forums SOLELY* as a venue to:

A.) Promote links to content on their own site when the same information is available on ours;
EXAMPLE: Linking to a pet profile on their site instead of linking to the same profile on our site.

B.) Seek feedback to develop their own site, rather than providing feedback to us to help us improve WarcraftPets;

C.) Generate a series of permanent links to unique content on their site while publicly planning to add many features that are currently exclusive to WarcraftPets.

*When I say SOLELY above, it means that ALL forum posts by these individuals (prior to having their links removed or replaced) had either provided links to their own sites or followed up on such posts. There was no history of these individuals using our forums for anything otherwise.

So these repeated actions put us in an awkward position.
Perhaps there is a way to rephrase the guidelines somewhat to make it ok to established members of the community to link. I think it is MMO-champion who uses a feature were you can't link unless you have posted 5 or 10 posts or something. Making it a requirement to contribute to the community could reward the ability to link. And if there are users who obviously abuse linking like you described above, mention it in the guidelines so you have the right to freeze / ban that useraccount. That way the spammers will have to work to get the linking rights, and if they abuse it, they have to work again..or you could potentially ban the IP adress, but I have heard bad things about IP banning(can't rem why at the moment).

I know it can be very hard to monitor active forums to avoid spam, and the worst kind is the personalized spam where an actual person sits there with purely one agenda, avoid detection and get the word out about his/her site. I do hope you find a better solution than competitor-link-repleacement. I have gotten PMs the last few days about what site I were talking about somewhere in here, so I'd have to give them the link privately(edit: mind you, I am not affiliated with any sites, I'm just pointing them towards helpful resources), which gets them the help they needed, but I don't think it's the best solution.
Breanni wrote:we'll be reviewing this decision in the days ahead. It was never our intention to stifle your voice or limit access to useful information. Our goal has always been to make WarcraftPets the most valuable website of its kind.
Best of luck! :) I have grown to love this site, and it is very nice to see you listening to feedback. :)

(and so sorry for being sooooo very off topic in this thread)
Last edited by Hellomynameis on December 5th, 2012, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breanni
Site Admin
Pet Score:1499
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Breanni » December 5th, 2012, 8:56 am

Hellomynameis wrote:(and so sorry for being sooooo very off topic in this thread)
Yeah, no kidding. We've hijacked the poor Darkmoon Crow and Darkmoon Glowfly! :)

I've gotten a lot of feedback, some from users and some from the WCP team -- all intelligent and rational, which speaks volumes about our community. In the end, I think I was too extreme (and lazy?) with our solution. There are some alternatives on the table that will allow the free flow of info, yet discourage other developers from using our forums solely to promote their own sites.

We'll get there... soon. ;)

Kinski
Pet Score:2342
Realm:Skullcrusher-eu

Post by Kinski » December 7th, 2012, 4:32 am

oO i had absolutely no idea that this topic would derail in that way.

@breanni and the rest of the WCP crew: sorry folks, i didnt know about the "dont talk about other sites rule", and i am in no way shape or form connected to any of the other sites, i just wanted to help a brother out.

on the other hand it seems this topic had to be discussed and seeing a forum discussion that is not escalating into a flame war restores a little bit of faith in humanity. :)

Aislinge
MVP
Pet Score:4299
BattleTag®:Aislinge#1549
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Aislinge » December 8th, 2012, 2:57 am

Well, much to my delight and after a week of stalking, I finally got a rare Glowfly! Level 8 - super chuffed!

Have not seen a single crow though. Have no idea what's going on there :(

Edit - just had 2 poor quality ones show. That's been it since the hotfix. Pretty slow going.

Waveryn
Pet Score:13711
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Waveryn » December 8th, 2012, 12:13 pm

I have been leveling lobies on the isle for 7 hours, one LvL2 rare glowfly and LvL10 common crow and LvL7 uncomon crow, many grey ones. Came here to make sure a rare crow was possible before I spent a day looking :mrgreen:
Wave

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » December 8th, 2012, 9:51 pm

Waveryn wrote:Came here to make sure a rare crow was possible before I spent a day looking :mrgreen:
They are there, expect to spend some time getting one though. I spent around five or six hours grinding mine out. They spawn relatively quickly, so find a good route and you should be able to run up and down the island without a lot of downtime (unless there's other people farming them too).

Good luck to everyone trying for it, I sincerely hope you all have better luck than I did.

Waveryn
Pet Score:13711
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Waveryn » December 8th, 2012, 11:57 pm

NathKnave wrote:
Waveryn wrote:Came here to make sure a rare crow was possible before I spent a day looking :mrgreen:
They are there, expect to spend some time getting one though. I spent around five or six hours grinding mine out. They spawn relatively quickly, so find a good route and you should be able to run up and down the island without a lot of downtime (unless there's other people farming them too).

Good luck to everyone trying for it, I sincerely hope you all have better luck than I did.
Started at 6:30 am and it is now Midnight, I did take time out to eat and do some stuff, but still not one blue crow. :cry:
Wave

Aislinge
MVP
Pet Score:4299
BattleTag®:Aislinge#1549
Realm:Dath'Remar-us

Post by Aislinge » December 9th, 2012, 9:57 am

Yeah I don't bust a gut over them anymore. If I'm starting to grind for a pet, I stop. For me, pets are meant to be fun. If I wanted a grind, I'd stick to raiding :D

Ðoctr
Pet Score:2976
Realm:Stormreaver-us

Post by Ðoctr » December 9th, 2012, 6:08 pm

I started trying for a rare crow yesterday .. took about 4 hrs up on top of the cliff finally got a rare crow :)

4 hrs may seem like a long time .. but during that time the rabbit spawned and i was lucky enough to win the roll and I now have the Darkmoon Rabbit a S/S version :)

(side note) I'm currently collecting EVERY rare wild pet in the game .. not sure if this has been done by anyone yet.

I have Kalimdor completed except for the summer spawn Qiraji Guardling . and yes I even have a rare minifernal & giraffe calf.

I have 5 left in Eastern Kingdoms, Outlands is complete, Northrend is complete , 6 left in Pandaria.

Good Hunting everyone

Syrrie
MVP
Pet Score:6201
BattleTag®:Syrrie#1506
Realm:Silver Hand-us

Post by Syrrie » December 9th, 2012, 9:07 pm

Ðoctr wrote:(side note) I'm currently collecting EVERY rare wild pet in the game .. not sure if this has been done by anyone yet.
Several people here on warcraftpets.com have been doing the same. I intially went with just whatever I could find then I went back and upgraded everything I didn't have rares of to rares. I enjoyed the second pass at catching all the pets much more than the first time around. (I've only got the anodized robo cub, fluxfire feline and harpy youngling left to get as rares, myself.)

Anyway, grats on your crow and hope you have much luck with finding the rest of the rares you need!
Image Image