Bag Pets

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Luciandk
Pet Score:3576
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu
Re: Bag Pets

Post by Luciandk » December 24th, 2014, 8:05 am

Today, after 15 days of duds on my single char, I got the final menagerie pet the Puddle Terror. It immediately went up on ah, as I bought it 10 days ago as I was tired of waiting for it, as I wanted to play with it.

Now it will only be duplicates that comes now.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » December 24th, 2014, 10:38 am

The first five days after I built the L3 Menagerie, I got pets in the bag. After that? Nothing.
Now it's been over a week, and nothing on my sole L100.
I ended up caging my bag pets today in the hopes it would make a difference. It did not.
'
I'm frustrated as I'm still missing the chimaeraling and the sun sproutling.
And I'd love to get a different breed for my Firewing. :cry:
ImageImage

Sunsmoon
Top Rater
Pet Score:10003
Realm:Burning Blade-us

Post by Sunsmoon » December 24th, 2014, 10:50 am

I've kept track of all the bag pets for my last two leveled characters:

Monk - 5/6 - Puddle Terror, Puddle Terror, Sunfire Kaliri, Albino Chimaeraling, Weebomination, nada

Hunter - 3/3 - Albino Chimaeraling, Sunfire Kaliri, Ghastly Kid

By the time I started tracking the bags I had already finished off a full set. My first two pets on my monk were, in fact, both Puddle Terrors. I do not cage my pets prior to battling or opening the bags.

Gendou
Pet Score:4413
BattleTag®:Gendou#1955
Realm:Thunderhorn-us

Post by Gendou » December 26th, 2014, 4:48 am

Merry Christmas to me! I got a grey P/S Chimaeraling this morning.
First one in over a week.
ImageImage

Balrizangor
MVP
Pet Score:8574
BattleTag®:Balrizangor#1255
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Balrizangor » December 26th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Gendou wrote:The first five days after I built the L3 Menagerie, I got pets in the bag. After that? Nothing.
Now it's been over a week, and nothing on my sole L100.
I ended up caging my bag pets today in the hopes it would make a difference. It did not.
'
I'm frustrated as I'm still missing the chimaeraling and the sun sproutling.
And I'd love to get a different breed for my Firewing. :cry:
I understand that originally characters were going to be unable to get dupes, while the code for that was in, pets dropped easily from bags.

Blizzard then patched it so that characters could get dupes but they also decreased the chance of getting a pet from a bag drastically to compensate.

It won't matter if you have the pets in your list or caged, the chance to get a pet is still the same, you might also get a dupe of one you already have instead of one you need.

I went almost 2weeks before getting a pet after they (Blizzard) made this change.

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » December 26th, 2014, 3:06 pm

Balrizangor wrote: I understand that originally characters were going to be unable to get dupes, while the code for that was in, pets dropped easily from bags.

Blizzard then patched it so that characters could get dupes but they also decreased the chance of getting a pet from a bag drastically to compensate.

It won't matter if you have the pets in your list or caged, the chance to get a pet is still the same, you might also get a dupe of one you already have instead of one you need.

I went almost 2weeks before getting a pet after they (Blizzard) made this change.
This rumored change, you mean. There's no evidence that there was any sort of change made, other than wild speculation of people trying to find patterns in randomness.

Balrizangor
MVP
Pet Score:8574
BattleTag®:Balrizangor#1255
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Balrizangor » December 26th, 2014, 3:15 pm

Gilneas wrote:This rumored change, you mean. There's no evidence that there was any sort of change made, other than wild speculation of people trying to find patterns in randomness.
True but something was changed, myself and my buddy went from getting a pet usually 1 in 2 to 3 bags and never dupeing to going 1 to 2 weeks with no pets and dupeing ...

The first 7 days of having my level 3 menagerie, I got 5 of 7 pets, then it stopped, I finally got a dupe of 1 I had and bought the last one.

Chibimage
Top Rater
Pet Score:12649
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Chibimage » December 26th, 2014, 7:44 pm

If it's any consolation, I asked LeCraft directly about this "rumored" change in an email.

He's always responded to every email I've ever sent him about pet battles. But not this one ;)

That makes my tinfoil hat go ON FIRE. :D :D :D

I really don't know what code has been done - but I do know that I have gone weeks and weeks now since my full set without a duplicate -- long before the change to 150 as well.

At this point, it's been so long without a duplicate that if it ever does drop, I will be convinced that they simply hotfixed some code.

(Also, my Lunker % rate dipped from 0.6% to 0.2% in the past 4 days. :/)

Gilneas
Top Rater

Post by Gilneas » December 27th, 2014, 2:28 am

Balrizangor wrote:
Gilneas wrote:This rumored change, you mean. There's no evidence that there was any sort of change made, other than wild speculation of people trying to find patterns in randomness.
True but something was changed, myself and my buddy went from getting a pet usually 1 in 2 to 3 bags and never dupeing to going 1 to 2 weeks with no pets and dupeing ...

The first 7 days of having my level 3 menagerie, I got 5 of 7 pets, then it stopped, I finally got a dupe of 1 I had and bought the last one.
Nothing was changed. Its random. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not. People have been having a wide range of experiences with this.

Chibimage
Top Rater

Post by Chibimage » December 27th, 2014, 9:33 am

Yes absolutely something was changed. They changed the requirement from 500 Wild Battles to BUILD your level 3 Menagerie to only 150. Now the achievement change was nothing, but if you were in beta, they had issues with buildings and when they were built. If a bug was introduced that changed the way the building worked - Blizzard recommended to re-build the building.

Now you can go on and on with the reasons why this is Blizzard's fix, but it was. I cannot explain WHY that was their fix. But that was their fix.

Now, all these new 150 level 3 Menageries are acting quite differently than the 500 level 3 Menageries. That's all anyone has ever said. It's pretty basic and simple.

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » December 27th, 2014, 11:12 am

It's a bit different to other buildings though. It's a daily quest with a bag reward, not a building related passive bonus in the same sense. The quest and the bag have the same quest/item ID regardless of when you built your menagerie, so based on that it shouldn't matter. Also I'm not sure which category my menageries fall into if I got my main menagerie before the 500->150 change but alt menagerie after, and it's an account wide achievement/unlock. I think you're saying it's supposedly different based on when you built your menagerie, but I haven't noticed any difference. Actually my alt has gotten all pets and my main is still missing one. No duplicates. The pace of getting the pets was the same until the last one on my main which still hasn't dropped. There was a bigger gap between getting the last pet on my alt too. And I was steadily getting pets when others were complaining about not getting pets for X days. So that just seems like RNG is RNG. Just spam twitter until there's an asnwer :P

Gilneas
Top Rater

Post by Gilneas » December 27th, 2014, 12:14 pm

Chibimage wrote:Yes absolutely something was changed. They changed the requirement from 500 Wild Battles to BUILD your level 3 Menagerie to only 150. Now the achievement change was nothing, but if you were in beta, they had issues with buildings and when they were built. If a bug was introduced that changed the way the building worked - Blizzard recommended to re-build the building.

Now you can go on and on with the reasons why this is Blizzard's fix, but it was. I cannot explain WHY that was their fix. But that was their fix.

Now, all these new 150 level 3 Menageries are acting quite differently than the 500 level 3 Menageries. That's all anyone has ever said. It's pretty basic and simple.
We are all aware (I would assume) that the achievement was fixed. That has nothing to do with the discussion here, however, so pointing that out as something that changed in no way invalidates what I said (as I was referring to nothing changing with the actual building and its quest, not the achievement that precedes it). What was changed was only the number of battles to get the achievement to unlock the ability to purchase the blueprint that then teaches you how to build the level 3 building. The building itself was unchanged. The quest was unchanged. The quest reward was unchanged. The Menageries that were built by people before the achievement changed are not behaving any differently than those by people who build them today. People just want to find/see patterns in randomness to explain why they may be having bad luck, or just because randomness is unsettling. That's all it is though: random.

You have no evidence that they are "acting quite differently." You are just reading people posting their experiences and wildly speculating. The truth is there are experiences all over the place from people who built it both pre-fix and post-fix. What is more logical? That it is random and thus people are having a wide variety of experiences? Or that Blizzard made some strange, mysterious change and did not mention it at all on social media/the hotfix blog and just hoped we'd all not notice? Or that changing a specific number in a loosely related achievement somehow altered how the building "worked"?

Chibimage
Top Rater

Post by Chibimage » December 27th, 2014, 12:41 pm

You can feel what you want, certainly. You can speculate whatever you like, you seem to be doing so already and that's fine.

But people who built at 500 (there are not very many of us unfortunately) are having different behavior than anyone who has built it since they changed the achievement to 150.

I'm sorry you're having a tough time with how Blizzard implements buildings in the Garrison but I'm well acquainted with the issues that can arise with them from beta. Just because you weren't in beta and didn't experience any of it doesn't mean it was some magical imagining by the people who were in beta and had these problems.

I'm glad for all the people who built it at 150 (that's most people) and are getting all kinds of spare pets and extras -- though the full set of 7 is taking them longer to get than those of us who built at 500.

Iibis
Pet Score:4297
Realm:Emerald Dream-eu

Post by Iibis » December 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

My main got its 7th, last missing pet (Albino Chimaeraling) today, ~12 or 13 days after getting the 6th pet. Now I've received them all for both of my characters. I guess I need to level another alt to see if its menagerie would be different. x)