WoW sale and RAF pets

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Krentz
Pet Score:8630
Realm:Llane-us
WoW sale and RAF pets

Post by Krentz » November 26th, 2014, 12:33 pm

Blizz just announced their annual WoW sale - $5 for everything up to MoP. Am I correct in remembering that the Recruit-A-Friend pets require 2 months of subscription?

That said, is it feasible to "buy" these RAF pets for $35 each? $5 for base game, and 2 months subscription?

Thanks!

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Re: WoW sale and RAF pets

Post by Kpb321 » November 26th, 2014, 3:29 pm

Yes it requires 2 months of game time. Yes you can RAF yourself. You do also get a month of game time on your main account so it's more like $20 per pet right now.

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13640
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » November 26th, 2014, 8:46 pm

Net cost per pet is actually $20 -- you get a free month of WoW out of it yourself. With crazy pet people paying lots, lots more to get rarer pets on EBay, this seems like a bargain.

If you buy a two-month WoW card and use it right away for your "friend", you usually get the pet within 5 weeks.

GrosBonda
Pet Score:10429
BattleTag®:Grosbonda#1406
Realm:Arygos-us

Post by GrosBonda » December 2nd, 2014, 11:50 am

Only 3 hours left......
Just want to remind you and NO i am not working for Blizz :D

Cdeveau
Pet Score:3741
Realm:Gul'dan-us

Post by Cdeveau » December 2nd, 2014, 12:57 pm

How does the RAF program work with the digital game copies? Can someone buy the game codes now but not activate them yet for the RAF, or do the games activate one purchased?

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » December 2nd, 2014, 1:08 pm

You can Gift them to your own email address and you'll get an email with a Code that can be used later so you could buy the game copies now and not use the codes till later.

Cdeveau
Pet Score:3741
Realm:Gul'dan-us

Post by Cdeveau » December 2nd, 2014, 1:18 pm

Thanks KPB321!

Waveryn
Pet Score:13667
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Waveryn » December 4th, 2014, 8:30 am

Has anyone with an account that automatically withdrawls the Blizz $14.99 fee from their bank purchased the RAF pets and how does that work? I am thinking I would have to change my subscription or how could I use the game time? /SHRUG :?:
Wave

GrosBonda
Pet Score:10429
BattleTag®:Grosbonda#1406
Realm:Arygos-us

Post by GrosBonda » December 4th, 2014, 8:33 am

Waveryn wrote:Has anyone with an account that automatically withdrawls the Blizz $14.99 fee from their bank purchased the RAF pets and how does that work? I am thinking I would have to change my subscription or how could I use the game time? /SHRUG :?:
actually i would be interested in a guide how to RAF yourself in that case ....

Wakamaru
MVP
Pet Score:12165
BattleTag®:Wakamaru#1375
Realm:Bladefist-us

Post by Wakamaru » December 4th, 2014, 9:15 am

Waveryn wrote:Has anyone with an account that automatically withdrawls the Blizz $14.99 fee from their bank purchased the RAF pets and how does that work? I am thinking I would have to change my subscription or how could I use the game time? /SHRUG :?:
I'm going to do my best to answer this question, but if I have misunderstood your question please let me know so that I can clarify the information better!

The primary trouble with using automatic bill pay with a RAF account, is that the billing cycle for the first month will not start until after the free 30 days of game time that comes with your game purchase. Similarly, the billing cycle for the second month will not begin until both the free 30 days and the first months paid game time have been used. So what does that mean for someone who is RAFing for a reward? It means that you would have to wait a total of 60 days to receive your RAF reward(s) per account.

In comparison when you use game time cards or digitally gifted game time, you can immediately apply both months of game time to the new RAF account - and you only need to wait 7 days to claim your reward(s). If you do not have access to a store locally that sells game time cards, you can go to the blizzard store and simply gift yourself game time.

In my particular case, I set up a email address for each of RAF account that I wanted to set up (some place like gmail or hotmail) in order to keep things tidy. I sent my RAF invite to the new e-mail address. I then gifted a copy of the game and two months of game time from the blizzard store to that new e-mail. If you do not wish to gift yourself game time, you can instead set up a subscription for the new RAF account using the same billing method as your main account. This won't cause your main account any complications - but again you will need to wait 60 days until the second month of paid game time is billed before you claim your reward.

All of that said, if you aren't ready to fully set up a RAF account - but want to take advantage of the current sale to save yourself some money later - you can just gift a few copies of the game to your usual e-mail address and then save the codes provided to you at check out and in the e-mail blizzard will send you.

Hope this helps some :) Please let me know if I misunderstood your question or if you are needing any other information.
@TamerWakamaru

Syah
Top Rater
Pet Score:11331
BattleTag®:Syah#1979
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Syah » December 4th, 2014, 12:44 pm

What Wakamaru said is exactly right. I did it last year. Set up four email addresses, create four bnet accounts, buy game time online through the bent store for each account, wait seven days, get four pets.

(Last step, intend to take advantage of the two months of game time you have on the accounts and multibox some alts for fun, then get to level 10 and never touch them again.)

Waveryn

Post by Waveryn » December 4th, 2014, 1:40 pm

I do understand thanks Wakamaru and Syah, I really do not want 4 accounts I will never use, let me ask this :D
I just want the pets and I see many people in pet trade looking for game time and often trade pretty rare pets for that time.
Has anyone found a way to raf the pets to yourself but get Blizzard to put the game time on cards that could be given or traded to someone else?
Wave

Kpb321

Post by Kpb321 » December 4th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Waveryn wrote:I do understand thanks Wakamaru and Syah, I really do not want 4 accounts I will never use, let me ask this :D
I just want the pets and I see many people in pet trade looking for game time and often trade pretty rare pets for that time.
Has anyone found a way to raf the pets to yourself but get Blizzard to put the game time on cards that could be given or traded to someone else?
No way to do that. To get the RAF reward the account created from the RAF link has to buy WOW and 2 months of game time. Now you could gift that to friends or might be able to find someone looking to start up a new account that might trade something for the game/time but no way to get the RAF and then get the time onto another account.

It does give you a month of time on your main account. If you don't want multiple accounts you can always create a second Bnet account with a different email address and put the 4 RAF accounts on there. Then you never have to touch that account or see them again after you get your RAF pets.

Maizing
Pet Score:5724
BattleTag®:Maizing#1456
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Maizing » December 4th, 2014, 3:54 pm

Here is what I did when I got the RAF pets for myself.

1) I sent the invite to an alternate email address that I have and set up the accounts.
2) I purchased the game for each RAF account when it was on sale.
3) I then upgraded the RAF accounts with the purchased copies of the game.
4) I added game time to the RAF accounts (purchased from the Blizzard store) as I could afford it until I had received each pet.

You do not have a time limit on when you need to pay for either the game or the subscription after you set up the accounts. Technically, you could set up an account, leave it just sitting there for a year or more before either upgrading it or adding game time to it. You just don't get the pet(s) until after you have paid two months of subscription time on each RAF account you set up.

Note: I also set up a second Battle.net account for the RAF accounts so they don't clutter up my active Battle.net account with game licenses that I don't use. Remember, you can add up to 8 licenses to each Battle.net account, so you don't need a separate Battle.net account for each RAF license.

Waveryn

Post by Waveryn » December 5th, 2014, 6:22 am

Thanks everyone, one last idea, can the RAF pets be caged? If so I could possibly make an account for a friend that did not have WoW or want the pets and give them 8 months of play time and they could cage and give me the pets?
Wave

Wakamaru
MVP

Post by Wakamaru » December 5th, 2014, 7:13 am

Waveryn wrote:Thanks everyone, one last idea, can the RAF pets be caged? If so I could possibly make an account for a friend that did not have WoW or want the pets and give them 8 months of play time and they could cage and give me the pets?

You would need to make 1 account per RAF reward and add 2 months of game to each of those account. So with 8 months of game time, you would be making 4 separate new WoW accounts and sending 4 separate RAF invites for each one of those.

The person who sends the RAF invite receives the rewards, not the person/account who accepts the RAF invite & uses the game time. All RAF rewards are soulbound and cannot be traded, caged, or otherwise exchanged.
@TamerWakamaru

Waveryn

Post by Waveryn » December 5th, 2014, 7:48 am

Wakamaru wrote:
Waveryn wrote:Thanks everyone, one last idea, can the RAF pets be caged? If so I could possibly make an account for a friend that did not have WoW or want the pets and give them 8 months of play time and they could cage and give me the pets?

You would need to make 1 account per RAF reward and add 2 months of game to each of those account. So with 8 months of game time, you would be making 4 separate new WoW accounts and sending 4 separate RAF invites for each one of those.

The person who sends the RAF invite receives the rewards, not the person/account who accepts the RAF invite & uses the game time. All RAF rewards are soulbound and cannot be traded, caged, or otherwise exchanged.
So if I can find 4 people who want to try the game it would be a gift of the game and 2 months time for each one and I get the pets once they us them, that sounds better than having extra never used accounts. Thanks!!
Wave

Wakamaru
MVP

Post by Wakamaru » December 5th, 2014, 10:18 am

Waveryn wrote: So if I can find 4 people who want to try the game it would be a gift of the game and 2 months time for each one and I get the pets once they us them, that sounds better than having extra never used accounts. Thanks!!
That's correct! And I agree with you there, if I had enough folks to RAF naturally then I would have done the same thing.
@TamerWakamaru

Pettea
Pet Score:2181
Realm:Ahn'Qiraj-eu

Post by Pettea » December 7th, 2014, 8:22 am

I'm probably making a new game account today or tomorrow (Europe), case anyone feels like striking a deal :)