Best $25 spent on WoW!

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Mawder
Pet Score:2555
Realm:Proudmoore-us
Best $25 spent on WoW!

Post by Mawder » November 30th, 2012, 7:58 pm

After 3 days of unsuccessful attempts at securing the new wild pets, I had a new idea. I was tired of arranging my alts to different parts of Azeroth and constantly rotating and checking and being ganked.

What I did was start creating level 1 Gnomes on different servers and then checking for the Fluxfire Feline. After finding a realm where I found several, I immediately did a server transfer for my only alt with epic flying. The results were extraordinarily satisfying. I was able to find all but two new pets in quantity. I even had time to search for rare quality ones.

PS: I even got a rare Flayer Youngling! (No Minfernals though, I do already have a poor quality one. Forgot to check for Scourged Whelpling :P

Wynn
Pet Score:5568
Realm:Runetotem-us

Re: Best $25 spent on WoW!

Post by Wynn » November 30th, 2012, 8:31 pm

I have a bunch of alts on a few servers camp on new pet spawns but for the cat you can just make a level 1 gnome to check the area?
Healer that loves Cheesecake, Taiboku - Nall - Ronfa

Florencia

Post by Florencia » November 30th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Mawder wrote:After 3 days of unsuccessful attempts at securing the new wild pets, I had a new idea. I was tired of arranging my alts to different parts of Azeroth and constantly rotating and checking and being ganked.

What I did was start creating level 1 Gnomes on different servers and then checking for the Fluxfire Feline. After finding a realm where I found several, I immediately did a server transfer for my only alt with epic flying. The results were extraordinarily satisfying. I was able to find all but two new pets in quantity. I even had time to search for rare quality ones.

PS: I even got a rare Flayer Youngling! (No Minfernals though, I do already have a poor quality one. Forgot to check for Scourged Whelpling :P
money wasted.

Pompea
Top Rater
Pet Score:2535
BattleTag®:pomp#1627
Realm:Earthen Ring-us

Post by Pompea » November 30th, 2012, 11:49 pm

Florencia wrote: money wasted.
To each their own! If he had the money to do it and it made him happy, why it be a waste of his money?
Congrats on getting the pets! I probably wouldn't personally spend $25 on a server transfer, but I am considering the cinder kitten! So freekin cute.

Tatra
Pet Score:4589
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Tatra » December 1st, 2012, 3:55 am

and so worth the cause :)

Misstic
MVP
Pet Score:6356
Realm:Illidan-us

Post by Misstic » December 1st, 2012, 3:59 am

Pompea wrote:
To each their own! If he had the money to do it and it made him happy, why it be a waste of his money?
Congrats on getting the pets! I probably wouldn't personally spend $25 on a server transfer, but I am considering the cinder kitten! So freekin cute.
The main reason to buy the Cinder Kitty is because 100% of the sales go to the Red Cross for the east coast storms, now THAT'S a good cause!! :-)

Mawder

Post by Mawder » December 2nd, 2012, 12:39 am

I bet there would be plenty of people willing to pay $25 for a rare Minfernal for no cause.

Linaomine
Pet Score:8585
BattleTag®:jrevenge#1115
Realm:Area 52-us

Post by Linaomine » December 2nd, 2012, 12:42 am

Mawder wrote:I bet there would be plenty of people willing to pay $25 for a rare Minfernal for no cause.
That and the darn Scourged Whelpling :(

Fenriz
Top Rater
Pet Score:7296
Realm:Stormscale-eu

Post by Fenriz » December 2nd, 2012, 3:20 pm

Misstic wrote:
Pompea wrote:
The main reason to buy the Cinder Kitty is because 100% of the sales go to the Red Cross for the east coast storms, now THAT'S a good cause!! :-)
Agreed! .....I "live" on a high population realm and i got all wild pets in rare quality minus 4, so it's doable without going to such measures. That and as also mentioned above, Fluxfire = go make gnomes on other realms :)

That beeing said, thumbs up for efford though, and it might be worth it for you in the future with upcoming pets :)

Talmar
MVP
Pet Score:12575
Realm:Sentinels-us

Post by Talmar » December 3rd, 2012, 2:46 pm

Florencia wrote:
Mawder wrote:After 3 days of unsuccessful attempts at securing the new wild pets, I had a new idea. I was tired of arranging my alts to different parts of Azeroth and constantly rotating and checking and being ganked.

money wasted.
Not necessarily. What a person believes is worth money or not is totally subjective. For him those pets were worth $25. And that's O.K. For some people it is a waste of money.

For people who are interesting in spending cash on pets I would recommend doing what I do. Set a budget. I set aside $25 a month for personal frivolous spending. That could mean the new Elminster book, or a CD or two or I'll save a few months and get a pet. Never go over your budget. I have a reloadable Visa that I add $25 to each month and that's it.

Grats on the pet acquires. There's a bunch I still need but I'm getting them slowly but surely. :)

Happy collecting.

Emberdione
MVP
Pet Score:11399
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Emberdione » December 3rd, 2012, 3:09 pm

Doesn't CRZ make this pointless?

Also, can't you just fight the wild pet with your team and capture since all pets are account wide?

Evident
Pet Score:1631
Realm:Blade's Edge-us

Post by Evident » December 3rd, 2012, 6:59 pm

Emberdione wrote:Doesn't CRZ make this pointless?

Also, can't you just fight the wild pet with your team and capture since all pets are account wide?
I'm also confused, why would you need to transfer your character?

WHTJunior
Pet Score:8348
Realm:Terenas-us

Post by WHTJunior » December 3rd, 2012, 7:22 pm

The main idea is that they found a low population battlegroup, and then transferred a high level character there to make it easier to not die when hunting in the higher level zones.

Mawder

Post by Mawder » December 4th, 2012, 3:36 am

Just an update...I've obtained all the new wild pets, half rare, half uncommon. So I still have some hunting to do. I am discovering other good benefits of transferring to a low pop server, great deals on pets in the AH!

PS: So happy they fixed the XP bug.

Gwenolyn
MVP
Pet Score:5462
BattleTag®:Gwenolyn#1245
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Gwenolyn » December 4th, 2012, 12:55 pm

I think he meant he used the level one gnomes to guess which servers would have fewer players farming based on the Felines he saw. Then transferred a toon with epic flying to check the rest of the spawns. But a gamble imo. Plus I actually like farming o.0

Mawder

Post by Mawder » December 5th, 2012, 2:28 am

Well I haven't seen a Minfernal or Scourged Whelpling yet so I'm guessing the server is not that low pop. I have Minfernal in Common and Whelpling in Poor so I am now thinking of doing another server xfer. Maybe Oceanic now. I'm on a Brazilian now. They have 3 PvP realms that are merged via CRZ.

For reference, I just checked out the area where the Emerald Proto Whelp spawns and there were about twenty. No rares...grr.