Pet Drops

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Taqee_hfaf
Pet Drops

Post by Taqee_hfaf » November 3rd, 2014, 7:46 pm

I have a question about pet drops. I want to know if a pet for example has a drop rate of 1 to 1000 and I started farming it and I reached 600 and then I stopped and started farming after 2 or 3 days do I need to start from 0 or 600 ? Meaning do I have to reset "Rarity" or is it okay to continue from 600 ?

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Re: Pet Drops

Post by Graven » November 3rd, 2014, 9:54 pm

Not sure if this is a specific question about the Rarity addon, or a general question about how probability works. If the latter, and you are asking if the drop chance will be affected by farming over multiple sessions, the answer is no.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » November 4th, 2014, 1:23 pm

Taqee_hfaf wrote:I have a question about pet drops. I want to know if a pet for example has a drop rate of 1 to 1000 and I started farming it and I reached 600 and then I stopped and started farming after 2 or 3 days do I need to start from 0 or 600 ? Meaning do I have to reset "Rarity" or is it okay to continue from 600 ?
What the drop rate means is that over the long term, that is the expected drop rate. So, you might get it after one attempt or it might take 10,000 tries. In the long run, there will be roughly 1 drop for every 1000 attempts by everyone in the game for that particular item.
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » November 4th, 2014, 1:35 pm

My personal take on drop rates is they are nothing more or less than a way to either egg yourself on to keep trying (if you haven't gotten it before the "magic number" the reported average shows) or to completely deflate yourself (when you've hit 3000 kills and still haven't seen a single drop). Probability plays no favorites - that is why a lottery run by the government (a frequent thing in the US) is nothing more than a tax on people who are bad at math. :mrgreen:

I should say they are also used to make yourself feel awesomely the most lucky person in the universe when you get a rare drop pet on your first (or tenth, twentieth, or fiftieth) kill. You aren't, but you can certainly feel that way for a short time - til you see the NEXT thing you need (I really need to get back to trying for the tiny red carp... *sigh*).