Which pets should I stone?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Kytti_eggcollect
Pet Score:4568
Realm:Borean Tundra-us
Which pets should I stone?

Post by Kytti_eggcollect » October 30th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Having finally succeeded in catching rare version's of all the wild pets (at least until WoD comes out and winter is here so I can get my snowy owl) I am left with a serious problem. Which pets do I use my 28 battle stones on (6 beast, 6 elemental, 3 dragonkin, 3 flying, 2 humanoid, 2 aquatic, 1 each of critter, mechanical and undead, and 3 anything)? Since I have mostly been focusing on collecting and not battles, any input on what would be good uses for those stones would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jaladar
Top Rater
Pet Score:13919
BattleTag®:Jaladar#11384
Realm:Windrunner-us

Re: Which pets should I stone?

Post by Jaladar » October 30th, 2014, 2:49 pm

There are a number of pets that are obtained from vendors and drops that while the item that is sold/drops is rare, the actual pet is not and can not be made rare without a stone. This is what I would use the stones on, as you can never expect to get rare quality of these. Now, if you have already done this and still have all those stones, you may be able to use them on upcoming pets. Enjoy and congrats!

Jal

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » October 30th, 2014, 6:11 pm

Check below. The best use of stones is Pets that only come as uncommon and are BoP so can't be traded to be stoned by someone else or bought on the AH already stoned. Those pets you will have to stone yourself.

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2978

Fadaar
Pet Score:11400
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Fadaar » October 30th, 2014, 10:44 pm

P/P Yellow Moth is will always be the first one you should stone :) Not BoP but totally worth it.

GrosBonda
Pet Score:10429
BattleTag®:Grosbonda#1406
Realm:Arygos-us

Post by GrosBonda » October 31st, 2014, 10:57 am

Kpb321 wrote: http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2978
I am already working with list... so helpful
but is there a list with the recommend breed to keep / stone in the uncommon only pet ?

Ranok
MVP
Pet Score:13640
Realm:Stormrage-us

Post by Ranok » October 31st, 2014, 1:38 pm

Disclaimer: I don't do much PvP so my suggestions aren't very helpful if that's what you're looking for.

Unless you're a Gotta-Catch-'em-All sort of pet collector and want everything Rare, I'd avoid the cheap and common pets like cats, moths, snakes, dragonhawks, rabbits, etc. Generally the pets that are harder to get hold of are also more powerful and more useful.

Feline Familiar (there's only 1 breed) is my very favorite teammate when I'm working on leveling lowbie pets.

Gilnean Raven is invaluable with a couple of the master trainers.

If you torture yourself doing the Celestial Tournament, Curious Wolvar Pup, Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, Ghostly Skull, Lil' Bling, Macabre Marionette are super helpful against certain opponents.

Sea Pony, Death Adder, Jade Crane Chick, and Enchanted Broom are good to have in your stable.

Normally I refuse to battle stone a wild pet that I could capture Rare even if it takes a while. I've made a couple of exceptions, pets like Minfernal and Giraffe Calf where it's so hard to find one of any rarity.

I notice that ultra-helpful list of Uncommon-Only pets mentions that you could battle stone the pets like kites that can't battle. Personally I can't imagine why you'd want to do that, seems a bit extreme.

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » October 31st, 2014, 2:31 pm

GrosBonda wrote:
Kpb321 wrote: http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2978
I am already working with list... so helpful
but is there a list with the recommend breed to keep / stone in the uncommon only pet ?
I don't know of one because breed is subjective as what the best breed is depends on a lot of different things like the moves you are using, the opponent you are facing and even the rest of your team.

For example, If you are using a blackfuse bombling on an explode team you want the H/H version as explode only scales with health. For other abilities you probably want the P/P breed.

Another example would be a Zandalari Anklerender vs Zao. Normaly a P/B wouldn't be considered a good breed when a P/P is available but vs Zao it's the perfect breed. It's just barely faster than him. Has the highest str possible while still being faster and has a little bit of extra hps to give you a little extra breathing room to make sure you survive the Charge.

With all that said I recall most of them being fairly straight forward as a number of them only come in one breed. Others have pretty obviously nice breeds such as the P/P yellow moth. The other options would be H/B or B/B so P/P is definitely the best choice. It's also the only moth that has a P/P breed.