Pet Leveling Achievements

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Trece
Pet Score:13682
Realm:Khadgar-us
Pet Leveling Achievements

Post by Trece » October 16th, 2014, 10:54 am

I'm rather annoyed that Blizz did not put any Achievements for leveling pets. It's something I really enjoy doing and I hope in the future they implement rewards for it.

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Re: Pet Leveling Achievements

Post by Rendigar » October 16th, 2014, 12:05 pm

I take it you mean in addition to these:
[url]http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=6570[/url]
[url]http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=6583[/url]
[url]http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=6610[/url]
[url]http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=6582[/url]

Trece

Post by Trece » October 16th, 2014, 4:54 pm

Yes I'm sorry I should have specified, I have done all those there is nothing in the new patch.

Adumbledore
Top Rater
Pet Score:9248
BattleTag®:ADumbledore#1672
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Adumbledore » October 16th, 2014, 6:16 pm

Trece wrote:I'm rather annoyed that Blizz did not put any Achievements for leveling pets. It's something I really enjoy doing and I hope in the future they implement rewards for it.
I agree. As it stands, there's really no incentive to leveling more than 75 pets. I wish that they would add in more achievements with pet battle-related rewards for bigger milestones like leveling 250 pets to level 25 and leveling 500 pets to level 25. It would certainly help motivate people to level a bigger variety of pets.

Visit my pet battle blog: http://petpersuasion.wordpress.com/

Gilneas
Top Rater
Pet Score:10095
Realm:Kargath-us

Post by Gilneas » October 16th, 2014, 6:20 pm

There's nothing really to add. 75 pets at 25 is a good final achievement for the chain. Its fairly time-consuming to get for someone starting out, but still accessible with dedication. Those of us with hundreds of level 25 pets are merely "over-achievers."

Though they did add one leveling achievement for WoD: http://wod.wowhead.com/achievement=9070

Klaital
Pet Score:4516
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Klaital » October 16th, 2014, 7:13 pm

There is an incentive to level more pets, it increases your pet score on this site! :)

Adumbledore
Top Rater

Post by Adumbledore » October 16th, 2014, 10:31 pm

Gilneas wrote:There's nothing really to add. 75 pets at 25 is a good final achievement for the chain. Its fairly time-consuming to get for someone starting out, but still accessible with dedication. Those of us with hundreds of level 25 pets are merely "over-achievers."

Though they did add one leveling achievement for WoD: http://wod.wowhead.com/achievement=9070
I don't agree. I think 75 pets for a final achievement is far too low especially considering that there were literally hundreds of different pets that you could level. The highest collecting achievement has you collect 400 different pets. 75 of those would be less than 20% of those 400. They could have definitely added more in for leveling, especially considering how serious a lot of people take pet battles. They may have envisioned it as a mini-game to play when you have leisure time, but it's evolved into so much more than that and they know it. 75 is just too low of a number for the final achievement for the chain.

I think that over-achievers still deserve some kind of recognition for their work. Winning 5000 pet battles is an achievement that most people would consider to be an achievement for over-achievers, but it's still there. Same for winning 5000 pvp pet battles. They get rewarded for their achievements, but those of us who have leveled literally hundreds of pets do not. I would just like some recognition showing that I put in the time and dedication to level those pets. I don't think that's too much to ask.
Klaital wrote:There is an incentive to level more pets, it increases your pet score on this site! :)
An incentive other than that. ;)

Gilneas
Top Rater

Post by Gilneas » October 17th, 2014, 7:04 am

Maybe 75 is too few for the most dedicated, but that is not the target of achievements. They are supposed to be something that appears reasonable and doable for your average person starting at zero. Those that do this sort of thing anyway are not the actual intended target. Not all achievement chains need to get added to cumulatively to extreme, unreasonable numbers. Just becomes meaningless and insurmountable for most people when that happens.

Adumbledore
Top Rater

Post by Adumbledore » October 17th, 2014, 11:03 am

Maybe 75 is too few for the most dedicated, but that is not the target of achievements.
Actually, that is the exact point of achievements. They are supposed to give you something to work toward. With over 600 pets in-game as it stands right now, 75 for a leveling achievement is far too low of a number, especially after they added the Celestial Tournament which requires you to have a set amount of level 25 pets before you can even queue for the content. With even more new pets coming in, they could have at least added in one more achievement for leveling pets.
They are supposed to be something that appears reasonable and doable for your average person starting at zero.
Not all achievements appear reasonable and doable for the average person. How many achievements are there for completing heroic raids (and their or high-ranked arena teams? Hundreds and those certainly aren't reasonable or doable for the average person. I don't see why pet battles should be any different. They might be considered a leisurely activity for most, but for some, they are very much a big part of what we do in WoW. To me, a raid or battleground is a leisurely activity and I don't see why we should be punished for choosing something else to do with our time.
Not all achievement chains need to get added to cumulatively to extreme, unreasonable numbers. Just becomes meaningless and insurmountable for most people when that happens.
You're right. Achievement chains do not need to get added to unreasonable and extreme numbers....but they do. Take the Legendary Pet Battler achievement. It requires you to win 5000 pet battles. For a lot of people, they are never going to accomplish that. Yet, it's still in there. Same goes with the Legendary Pet Brawler achievement that requires you to win 5000 pvp pet battles. That an achievement that I (who loves pet battles and spends most of his time on WoW doing pet battles) will never achieve. I simply do not care much for pet battle pvp, so I will never earn that achievement. It's still there, though, for the people that will work towards getting it.

I, personally, do not believe that adding in a few achievements for leveling 150 pets to 25 and/or 300 pets to 25 is really going to break anything. I would just like some recognition for the time that I put into leveling those pets.

Gilneas
Top Rater

Post by Gilneas » October 17th, 2014, 11:44 am

You are not being "punished" by there not being a 250 or 500 pets at 25 achievement. Its not a slap in the face from Blizzard or some disrespect to you or the things you do in the game. And it has nothing to do with pet battles' place in WoW. They have said they don't like to keep adding onto the achievement chains just for the sake of doing so for the very reasons that I stated. This is why you will never see a catch 100k fish achievement (individual), or win 10k pet battles (and probably not even complete 20k daily quests). There's just no good reason for doing so. There are other, more interesting and completable achievements to create and give rewards to that just work better (e.g., the plushie achievements). Your "incentive" for leveling so many pets is because you enjoy it, not because Blizzard says its special.

This is from someone who has every one of my pets at rare and 25, and would instantly get any leveling achievement they were to add of that style (as I have every intention of leveling my new WoD pets as I get them).

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » October 17th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Hadn't really thought about it, but yea, 75 pets is pretty low. I know it's not supposed to be some "insurmountable" goal, but there are thousands of collectors on this site who have many times that number of pets levelled.

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » October 17th, 2014, 6:54 pm

600 level 25 pets would be a nice achievement. Nobody has that one yet until WoD ships.

Trece

Post by Trece » October 18th, 2014, 4:20 pm

Klaital wrote:There is an incentive to level more pets, it increases your pet score on this site! :)
Hehehe which is why I do it :D

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » October 19th, 2014, 2:12 pm

GilroyKilroy wrote:600 level 25 pets would be a nice achievement. Nobody has that one yet until WoD ships.
Actually, I think our own [profile]doobjanka[/profile] has that done.
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Trece

Post by Trece » October 19th, 2014, 2:47 pm

I did put in a suggestion for this with Blizzard, maybe if enough of us ask they will consider it.

Jazeel
Pet Score:9583
Realm:Saurfang-us

Post by Jazeel » October 19th, 2014, 4:55 pm

An achieve for 250 and 500 lvl 25 pets would be reasonable recognition for the effort spent imho.

GilroyKilroy
MVP
Pet Score:6114
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by GilroyKilroy » October 19th, 2014, 6:43 pm

Dakaf wrote:
GilroyKilroy wrote:600 level 25 pets would be a nice achievement. Nobody has that one yet until WoD ships.
Actually, I think our own [profile]doobjanka[/profile] has that done.
Yeah, I forgot the Halloween pets would be available.