The wild pet that gave you most trouble to find as rare?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Grizzly_uk
Top Rater
Pet Score:7856
Realm:Hellscream-eu
Re: The wild pet that gave you most trouble to find as rare?

Post by Grizzly_uk » September 18th, 2014, 10:35 am

So far I'd have to say the Minfernal. I spent months trying to get one without any luck, then, in the rather early hours of one morning I'd just finished flying round Mount Hyjal with one of my Horde toons and figured I may as well swoop down to Felwood to check for any Minfernals. Once I was close enough I started spamming my targeting macro and almost spilt my drink when it actually targeted a Minfernal! Took me a moment to locate it and select a team for the battle, but I was doubly excited when I started the battle to find it was a rare as well! :D That was one pet batle that I was extremely cautious on! :lol:
Playing WoW since 2005!

Rioriel
Top Rater
Pet Score:10504
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Rioriel » September 18th, 2014, 2:22 pm

Ooh, Lost of Lordaeron. That was another that took me so many battles to find. Not great fun on an Alliance toon either :lol:

Hermy
Top Rater
Pet Score:10379
BattleTag®:Hermy#1783
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Hermy » September 20th, 2014, 9:22 am

I had a few!

Huge Toad, Snowshoe Hare, Molten Hatchling, Sand Kitten, Tol'vir Scarab, Larva are the ones that come to mind straight away.

The Tol'vir Scarab was the worst though. I obliterated the population multiple times, without any success. I ended up using my first left-over Critter stone on one. I will never fight another battle pet in Uldum just in case I come across a rare scarab. I may actually cry. :cry:

Papercupjon
Pet Score:3415
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Papercupjon » September 20th, 2014, 12:21 pm

Giraffe Calf is taking me ages :(

Klaital
Pet Score:4516
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Post by Klaital » September 20th, 2014, 3:04 pm

Papercupjon wrote:Giraffe Calf is taking me ages :(
I didn't even try that one, I just went over the zone once and saw like maybe three of them and went like screw this and just captured first one and stoned it. :p

Daedrynn
Top Rater
Pet Score:12984
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by Daedrynn » September 20th, 2014, 4:02 pm

1. Crimson Geode - just when you've finally found one, it kills itself!

2. Baby Ape - You have to check that island constantly, hope it's raining, then hope you find a rare before the rain stops. PITA!

3. Minfernal - Finding even a grey one of the damned things feels impossible!

Honorable mentions: Giraffe Calf, Cheetah Cub, Tiny Twister

Charlott
Top Rater
Pet Score:11193
Realm:Mal'Ganis-us

Post by Charlott » September 23rd, 2014, 5:51 am

Garden moth, lol. I eventually just stoned one.

For the more difficult spawns (tiny twisters, bog guys, valk, etc) or for things with many breeds, my goal was just to get the breed I wanted. I figured I'd just stone it later. Also, I phased to a low pop, rp pvp server (this was before server merges) which helped find them (once or twice even in the rare/good breed combo).

The other thing I do when possible is to go with other pet collectors when pet hunting. I know that seems counter productive, but it's not. Most of the time, we're after different pets/breeds or we can hunt for stuff in neighboring zones. It makes it so that there's essentially 2 of us looking for good pets. If either of us finds the pet that the other is after (but we already have), we hold it. I'm sure you've all seen rare + good breed combos of pets you already had. If you're on different servers (or have toons on multiple servers), you can phase each other around - especially nice for low spawn rate ones, stuff that pops only during weather, etc.

Hermy
Top Rater
Pet Score:10379
BattleTag®:Hermy#1783
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Hermy » September 24th, 2014, 11:47 am

Oh, how could I forget the Tainted Moth? :evil: It was my last uncommon pet, and eventually I gave up and stoned it with my first free Flying stone.

Voskres
Top Rater
Pet Score:10910
BattleTag®:Vosk#1999
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us

Post by Voskres » September 24th, 2014, 10:58 pm

[pet]Twilight Iguana[/pet], hands down. So far out there, so little spawn, never got a blue.

Ended up stone-ing him.

FuxieDK
Pet Score:13645
BattleTag®:FuxieDK#2678
Realm:Draenor-eu

Post by FuxieDK » November 17th, 2014, 1:26 pm

Coral Adder was a bad one..
Giraffe Calf, I gave up on, and after many hours I stoned a grey one... Only ever found 2 greys..
Minfernal and Unborn Valk are needless to mention..

But I think the pet that gave me the most amount of grey hairs are...... And you are going to think WHAAAAAAAAAAT????

Mac Frog!

With the amount of Mac Frogs in Uldum, it should be no problem finding a blue, right? WRONG!!!
I spent 8 solid hours, with no breaks at all.. Engaging a Mac Frog -> Non-blue -> Forfeit -> Moonfire the critter -> Engage NeXT Mac Frog etc etc etc...

Gwen
MVP
Pet Score:8349
BattleTag®:Gwenniekins#2985
Realm:Argent Dawn-eu

Post by Gwen » January 4th, 2015, 10:44 pm

Larva, hands down. After farming Ghost Lands for a couple of days, doing nothing, but fight those damn ghost crabs, I gave up and stoned the first and best larva I could find.
Because soulshards are pink.