Share pet collecting news and advice.
Sweetdr0ps
Top Rater
Pet Score:9135
BattleTag®:Sweetdr0ps#1199
Realm:The Forgotten Coast-us
anyone else feel max level pets are...

Post by Sweetdr0ps » May 22nd, 2014, 12:47 am

Weighted too heavily in our score? This site was always more about collecting and its dismaying that ive been surpassed on my realm over amount of 25s. Or it would even be nice to have a separate score based on just acquired and rarity alone. Rarity and amount of unique pets weighs significantly less heavy on your score then the sheer number of leveled pets you have. I feel this is unfair : /
*edit* disregard above scroll down
Last edited by Sweetdr0ps on May 26th, 2014, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rioriel
Top Rater
Pet Score:10504
Realm:The Sha'tar-eu

Re: anyone else feel max level pets are...

Post by Rioriel » May 22nd, 2014, 3:16 am

Just get levellin' :lol: :lol:

Beardydan
Pet Score:5027
Realm:Doomhammer-eu

Post by Beardydan » May 22nd, 2014, 5:08 am

So you think pet score should be based on how much real world cash spent then?

I wont hit your CURRENT score untill WoD becasue im unwilling to spend large ammounts of money on it. If anything leveling pets shoud be worth MORE than it is at the moment.

Dragonwizard
Top Rater
Pet Score:6685
BattleTag®:Dragonwizard#1388
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Dragonwizard » May 22nd, 2014, 5:16 am

Only roughly ~17% of your score is based on level and the other ~83% is amount and rareity. It takes far more work and dedication to level your pets to 25 than it does to collect them all and get them all to rare. So leveling only being worth ~17% is more than fair to the collector only types while giving the people that put all that effort into leveling them a sense of worth.

***Edited the % to be a bit more accurate***
Last edited by Dragonwizard on May 23rd, 2014, 6:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Even when you are winning soundly, you must always give your opponent a way to retreat with honor. If you don't, then he has no reason to surrender. He will fight until the bitter end, and you will pay a larger price for victory."

Vimtu
MVP
Pet Score:4104
BattleTag®:Vimtu#2916
Realm:Frostmane-eu

Post by Vimtu » May 22nd, 2014, 5:27 am

Poke'mon! Gotta catch'em all !
Ops! Gotta level 'em all ! :roll:

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » May 22nd, 2014, 6:05 am

Sweetdr0ps wrote:Weighted too heavily in our score? This site was always more about collecting and its dismaying that ive been surpassed on my realm over amount of 25s. Or it would even be nice to have a separate score based on just acquired pets alone. Rarity and amount of unique pets weighs significantly less heavy on your score then the sheer number of leveled pets you have. I feel this is unfair : /

So it is unfair for the leveling of ones pets goes into the score?
Isn't leveling the thing we do with these pets?
Hasn't this expansion been out 2 yrs almost?
So it is fairer then for someone with money or somehow access to foreign only pets to have the highest score?
The person who does the work in leveling should get no credit for it?

Heck, I think the leveling of pets should count as more since it is work to do and the point of these pets after all .
Get off your duff and get to leveling and guess what problem solved.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » May 22nd, 2014, 7:29 am

It's actually less than 20% of the pet score. For every rare unique pet you get:

5 points for being rare and unique
0.4 to 1 point based on the pet's level. (0.4 per level = 1 point @ 25 levels)

1/6 points are devoted to level while 5/6 points are devoted purely for collection.

Personally I don't see that as unreasonable at all, but I know everyone has different feelings about it.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Whiplash
Pet Score:4909
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Whiplash » May 22nd, 2014, 8:00 am

Easy solution: If you want to know where you stand by number of pets on the leaderboard, then just click the Pets column header to sort by number of pets.

Pet Score is calculated on three variables:
- Number of pets
- Rarity of pets
- Level of pets
This is entirely arbitrary, and subject to a number of possible objections, for example:
- Spending real money on pets (Pet Store and CCG pets) boosts your number of pets
- Rarity of pets is measured on the in-game rarity of the collected pet, not how hard it is to get -- so a level 25 poor Minfernal is worth less in your pet score than a level 25 rare Spring Rabbit.

My recommendation is to just do what you enjoy doing in WoW...

JEC
Pet Score:5503
Realm:Arthas-us

Post by JEC » May 22nd, 2014, 11:36 am

Sweetdr0ps wrote:Weighted too heavily in our score?
No. :)

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » May 22nd, 2014, 1:13 pm

I think this was a good compromise. The emphasis is still heavily on collecting, but it also adds a little incentive to do something with the pets, that is, leveling them.

Personally I don't care for the whole ranking thing anyhow, though I know it's human nature to want to know. The only person I'm competing with is myself. I'm happy with having finally gotten "pet hound" rank for my collection!

Graven
Pet Score:5307
Realm:Terenas-eu

Post by Graven » May 22nd, 2014, 3:01 pm

Sweetdr0ps wrote:This site was always more about collecting
Says who? Obviously for the first couple of years it was all about pet collecting, because that's the only thing you could do with pets at that time. Since the release of MoP it's been about pet collecting and battling.

Angelwings626
MVP
Pet Score:12264
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Angelwings626 » May 22nd, 2014, 4:09 pm

LOL SweetDrOps, I have you on my battlenet ID as a friend.

[ENTER SHAMELESS PLUG FOR A LEVELING BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY]
Could always have me level for you ^_~. You have a great supply and I'm pretty cheap as it goes. I can have all your pets leveled (at least the ones that can be traded) super fast.

Say....got anymore blue carps lying around? ^_~

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » May 22nd, 2014, 5:35 pm

I like the new formula and don't think it over emphasizes leveling vs collecting. As Jerebear pointed out you've got 6 total points possible for a battle pet. 5 points for having it in your collection as a rare and 1 point for leveling it. That means leveling is ~17% of your score. The reality is that even if you don't do any leveling you are still going to end up with about half those points anyway because you've got to level at least a few pets to 25 to be able to capture all the wild pets and you'll have any number of wild pets higher than level 1.

The great thing about the new formula is that they don't need to change it again as this percentage stays constant even as new pets to collect are added. The old formula had 100 points possible (average level * 4) and could either be a huge portion of your score or very little. If you happened to have 3 lvl 25 pets and nothing else you'd have 15 points from pets and 100 points from your average level being 25. On the other extreme where you've got nearly 600 pets means you've got ~3000 points from pets and 100 points from leveling. Neither of these really works well IMO as the one is way to high and ~3% of your score is too low.

Deadlycurves
Top Rater
Pet Score:3443
Realm:Aman'Thul-us

Post by Deadlycurves » May 22nd, 2014, 6:29 pm

As someone who just dropped 270 or so places on site rank from the new formulae, my immediate reaction was simple, must level the last 240 pets to max and regain my old ranking :mrgreen: simples!!

Sweetdr0ps
Top Rater

Post by Sweetdr0ps » May 26th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Thank you for those who added rounded fair responses and not condescending or rude ones. also I never said anything about rarity, I've no vendetta against that. Mainly I just always enjoyed not having to invest as much time in repetitive grinds on my collection as say pvp or pve, reputation content and that's not the case now. There are only a handful of pets that require purchase with money and I don't use real world cash, I trade for them. So I don't appreciate insinuating that quantity of pets is all about "buying" your collection. To say those pets can only be obtained when real money is ignorant. I've always played for collecting and I enjoy the battling and upgrading but not leveling hundreds of pets, it seems redundant and for someone who works a lot I was sad to see a shift that favors time invested but for those mentioning the %s it doesnt seem that unfair. As my only way to judge was seeing how much more a leveled pet brought up my score over one missing and it seemed heavier. Thanks again for those who were not hostile and offered advice.
Last edited by Sweetdr0ps on May 26th, 2014, 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sweetdr0ps
Top Rater

Post by Sweetdr0ps » May 26th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Kpb321 wrote:I like the new formula and don't think it over emphasizes leveling vs collecting. As Jerebear pointed out you've got 6 total points possible for a battle pet. 5 points for having it in your collection as a rare and 1 point for leveling it. That means leveling is ~17% of your score. The reality is that even if you don't do any leveling you are still going to end up with about half those points anyway because you've got to level at least a few pets to 25 to be able to capture all the wild pets and you'll have any number of wild pets higher than level 1

The great thing about the new formula is that they don't need to change it again as this percentage stays constant even as new pets to collect are added. The old formula had 100 points possible (average level * 4) and could either be a huge portion of your score or very little. If you happened to have 3 lvl 25 pets and nothing else you'd have 15 points from pets and 100 points from your average level being 25. On the other extreme where you've got nearly 600 pets means you've got ~3000 points from pets and 100 points from leveling. Neither of these really works well IMO as the one is way to high and ~3% of your score is too low.
Thanks, I didn't realize a new formula had been implemented so that is helpful to know, makes more sense now.

Sweetdr0ps
Top Rater

Post by Sweetdr0ps » May 26th, 2014, 1:46 pm

Rivana wrote:Easy solution: If you want to know where you stand by number of pets on the leaderboard, then just click the Pets column header to sort by number of pets.

Pet Score is calculated on three variables:
- Number of pets
- Rarity of pets
- Level of pets
This is entirely arbitrary, and subject to a number of possible objections, for example:
- Spending real money on pets (Pet Store and CCG pets) boosts your number of pets
- Rarity of pets is measured on the in-game rarity of the collected pet, not how hard it is to get -- so a level 25 poor Minfernal is worth less in your pet score than a level 25 rare Spring Rabbit.

My recommendation is to just do what you enjoy doing in WoW...
I completely agree, I wish there was weight in how difficult the pet is to obtain, like the actual rarity not quality but that works create uneven boost from tcg ones so maybe only ones that can currently be obtained in game or in battle

Sweetdr0ps
Top Rater

Post by Sweetdr0ps » May 26th, 2014, 2:04 pm

Angelwings626 wrote:LOL SweetDrOps, I have you on my battlenet ID as a friend.

[ENTER SHAMELESS PLUG FOR A LEVELING BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY]
Could always have me level for you ^_~. You have a great supply and I'm pretty cheap as it goes. I can have all your pets leveled (at least the ones that can be traded) super fast.

Say....got anymore blue carps lying around? ^_~
I definitely still have some carps of all flavors haven't caught you on in a while but willing to do some more of that. As for my wild pets, guess I better start leveling more. So only level 25s get one point and the 1s or 18s get 0? Or does the one point get fractioned?

Kendrah
MVP
Pet Score:9579
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Kendrah » May 26th, 2014, 2:22 pm

Sweetdr0ps wrote:Mainly I just always enjoyed not having to invest as much time in repetitive grinds on my collection as say pvp or pve, reputation content and that's not the case now.
So don't level them. It's just a game. Do what's fun for you. It's not a life or death situation. The scoring on this site doesn't somehow make your collection less than it was before the scoring changed. I think this is the part where I've got to whip out the YOLO.
Sweetdr0ps wrote:There are only a handful of pets that require purchase with money and I don't use real world cash, I trade for them. So I don't appreciate insinuating that quantity of pets is all about "buying" your collection.
I'm sure they weren't insinuating that you, personally, bought your collection. Rather, they probably meant that a lot of people do buy it. They either don't have the gold, don't know where or how to set up trades like that, are too weary, or are impatient.

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » May 26th, 2014, 2:22 pm

Fractioned. 0.4 points for every level you have. I don't know how the final score is rounded (normal rounding, ceiling, floor??), but it comes out as a whole number when all is said and done. My assumption is normal rounding is used, but haven't tested it out.
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829