Share pet collecting news and advice.
Poofah
Pet Score:4206
Realm:Llane-us
Viscous Horror odd AH activity

Post by Poofah » May 10th, 2014, 3:14 pm

https://theunderminejournal.com/battlepet.php?realm=H-Arthas&species=1244
https://theunderminejournal.com/battlepet.php?realm=A-Stormrage&species=1244

There's suddenly 70+ Viscous Horror across horde AHs, up from ~10 a week ago. Many of the sellers are nonsense names and are only selling Viscous Horror (or occasionally, VH plus Dragon Kite/EST/spectral tiger cub), and the price is clustered very tightly at 80k or sometimes 85k.

Obviously this is not conclusive proof of anything, but it's very suspicious. This is the same pattern we saw for cubs and ESTs -- it's possible that we may be seeing a VH dupe wave.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Re: Viscous Horror odd AH activity

Post by Digem » May 10th, 2014, 8:06 pm

Does look fishy I agree .
But could be end of expansion trying to make some money or they stealth nerfed the drop rate .
But I agree looks very suspicious.

Dakaf
MVP
Pet Score:6003
BattleTag®:Dakaf#1332
Realm:Dawnbringer-us

Post by Dakaf » May 11th, 2014, 10:36 am

On another forum I frequent, people were talking about the possibility of these being duped. I haven't seen any duped in game pets in a long time, but unfortunately, it was low hanging fruit.

That being said, if you need one, and see it on the AH and can afford it, buy it! Blizzard does not take away items that are purchased through the AH to the best of my ability.

Cheers!
<Kings and Queens> Alliance on Dawnbringer
-pet collecting OCD

Harpua
Pet Score:4602
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpua » May 11th, 2014, 11:12 am

Would it not make more sense that these pets come from hacked accounts?

The OP stated in the WoW forum that they don't know how the duping process works. We do know that accounts are hacked, looted and their contents are sold. One thing about pets is they can easily be moved to other servers which makes them attractive to sell.

It's also one of the points I was trying to make in the duped vs stolen thread. I would think that some people would be resistant to buy stuff that has been stolen. But if it's labeled duped, then somehow it becomes fair game. And since there is no known mechanism to dupe a non TCG pet, it's a lot more likely that these are stolen pets.

Either way, buying these pets just sends the signal to the bad guys that they will be rewarded for their efforts.

Digem
MVP
Pet Score:13800
Realm:Fizzcrank-us

Post by Digem » May 11th, 2014, 11:36 am

Harpua wrote:Would it not make more sense that these pets come from hacked accounts?

The OP stated in the WoW forum that they don't know how the duping process works. We do know that accounts are hacked, looted and their contents are sold. One thing about pets is they can easily be moved to other servers which makes them attractive to sell.

It's also one of the points I was trying to make in the duped vs stolen thread. I would think that some people would be resistant to buy stuff that has been stolen. But if it's labeled duped, then somehow it becomes fair game. And since there is no known mechanism to dupe a non TCG pet, it's a lot more likely that these are stolen pets.

Either way, buying these pets just sends the signal to the bad guys that they will be rewarded for their efforts.

this is another strong possibility and I have to agree with you buying it only encourages more of it,
also, remember beginning late in the expansion and no new content a lot of people have taken breaks from the game a great time for the account hackers to attack.
some might not even know they have been hacked for a while

Randomwelshbloke
MVP
Pet Score:5272
Realm:Steamwheedle Cartel-eu

Post by Randomwelshbloke » May 11th, 2014, 2:40 pm

Apparently there is now 261 viscous horrors available at 90 k ish on eu alliance >.< up from 6-8 last week

Poofah

Post by Poofah » May 11th, 2014, 2:41 pm

Harpua wrote:We do know that accounts are hacked, looted and their contents are sold.
Do we? Bliz doesn't give us any statistics on how many accounts get hacked. So this is just another possibility that we can't properly evaluate. Ie we have to take it on faith that account hacking contributes to the pet supply.

The evidence doesn't support it. If compromised accounts are to blame, then why are some pets targeted and some left alone? Is it really possible that 100 new VHs showed up from hacked accounts, but none of those accounts had Tuskarr Kites? And if the VHs are from hacked accounts, why are they all level 1? Is it really possible that none of those accounts leveled their VH to 25 or somewhere in between?
Harpua wrote:Either way, buying these pets just sends the signal to the bad guys that they will be rewarded for their efforts.
True, but the issue I have with this is: are they really that bad? Who are they hurting? Well, they're hurting anyone who bought a VH at a pre-dupe price, because those 'legit' VHs are now worth far less. Otherwise, they are just producing cheap goods that we want to buy.

Obviously the current situation is bad overall. But who's to blame? Bliz made very rare pets that command high prices. We buy them for high prices, then dupers make more of those pets, and the price drops. Bliz does nothing to stop this: they won't even admit that it happens. If Bliz won't enforce the value of these high-end pets, then the sad fact is that they don't have value. In those circumstances, I have no incentive to pay a premium for a 'legit' pet.

Dolz
Pet Score:6070
Realm:Trollbane-us

Post by Dolz » May 11th, 2014, 10:10 pm

I haven't seen any in the Alliance or Horde AHs for Trollbane US yet. There have been offers for both the Spectral Tiger Cub and Vicious Horror in the trade chat from the same person on the Alliance side and another on the Horde side. Both are level one characters. It seems more than a little fishy that someone(s) are trying to sell both, so I'll pass.

Post by Guest » May 12th, 2014, 12:18 am

Dolz wrote:I haven't seen any in the Alliance or Horde AHs for Trollbane US yet. There have been offers for both the Spectral Tiger Cub and Vicious Horror in the trade chat from the same person on the Alliance side and another on the Horde side. Both are level one characters. It seems more than a little fishy that someone(s) are trying to sell both, so I'll pass.
I have seen this phenomenon repeatedly over the last week or so. When I offered to buy a spectral tiger cub for 5k more than the 40k they were asking, if they would put it on the AH, I got ignored. It is always a lvl 1, usually with a bogus name same prices for hours and always 'selling' a spectral tiger cub and a vicious horror.

Harpua
Pet Score:4602
Realm:Aggramar-us

Post by Harpua » May 12th, 2014, 2:53 am

If the OP's attitude towards exploiting is representative of the board in general, I want nothing more to do with this site. Please remove my account and I'll be on my way.

Vimtu
MVP
Pet Score:4104
BattleTag®:Vimtu#2916
Realm:Frostmane-eu

Post by Vimtu » May 12th, 2014, 7:22 am

its Duped.

Duped items come in waves, its not an easy thing to do, and depends on alot of luck.
i don't need to explain how its done, cause its easily Google'able.

but its definitely dupe.

Example of Duped items i've seen since cataclysm:
- Vials of the Sand (Mount)
- Engineer Bike (Mount)
- JC Panther(s) (Mount)
- Sky Golem (Mount)
- ALL Trade'able TCG (Mounts/Pets)
- Deathcharger from DK Wotlk legendary quest (Mount)
- Tabard of Lightbringer from DK wotlk legendary quest (Tabard)
- Cataclysm gems

Dirkie
Pet Score:5479
BattleTag®:dirk#1435
Realm:Frostwolf-us

Post by Dirkie » May 12th, 2014, 10:19 am

I don't know why people keep saying it is easy to google and find out how to dupe something. I have googled it many times and have only every found speculation on how to dupe and never anyone who can say how they do it. Also today there are about 200 VH's across US servers both Alliance and Horde totalled together. But there are 1000 EST yes 1000 Soul-Traders!!! This really ridiculous for anyone (me included) that paid much more gold (I'll say more market value) for either a VH or an EST.

Poofah

Post by Poofah » May 12th, 2014, 3:31 pm

Harpua wrote:If the OP's attitude towards exploiting is representative of the board in general, I want nothing more to do with this site.
That's needlessly harsh. My attitude is that exploiting happens (duping specifically). Your attitude seems to be that we should feel bad if we buy a duped pet, or if we discover that a pet we bought is a dupe. I disagree completely. Duping is a huge problem, but we are absolutely not to blame. Bliz doesn't prevent duping; they don't remove the dupes; and they don't give us any tools to distinguish 'legit' pets from dupes.

Some perspective: I have all the BoE pets, and they're all 'legit', except for my Spectral Tiger Cub. I bought a lvl 6 for 180k last June. Obviously it's a dupe, but that was before I was even aware of pet duping. I spent a long time worrying whether it would be taken away, and then when I realized Bliz wasn't doing anything about the dupes, I watched as the value of that cub rapidly dropped to 60k. I'm bitter about that, and I have strong opinions as a result.

*Nobody* should feel bad about buying dupes. Bliz has created the current environment: we are playing by their rules. They don't police dupes, and it is not our responsibility to do it for them.

Don't hate the player; hate the game.

Hootstwo
Top Rater
Pet Score:4328
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Hootstwo » May 14th, 2014, 4:59 pm

The price descends... There's a toon flogging a VH in trade on Proudmoore for 75k, I'm guessing you could have it for less.

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » May 14th, 2014, 7:42 pm

Contico wrote:I am kinda new to this but how can you tell a dupe?
That's the thing, you can't. There's many legit players who might buy a pet from someone who bought a pet from someone, etc., and aren't knowingly trying to pass off a pet of questionable origin.

The best you can do is keep an eye out for threads like this, that are letting players know that there might be something shady going on. And remember that if a deal sounds way too good to be true, it probably is. If someone with some gibberish name is trade barking "WTS 10x Viscous Horror skype petduper" then I would wager those are probably not legitimate pets.

Poofah

Post by Poofah » May 15th, 2014, 9:57 am

Contico wrote:I am kinda new to this but how can you tell a dupe?
You can't tell, because there's literally no difference. Once a Soul-Trader is created, it is identical to every other Soul-Trader. If you happen to buy a duped version from AH, there's virtually no chance it will be confiscated or anything like that. The real problem is that dupes flood the market and devalue the legit pets.

Also, since duping is restricted to ingame items (and Bliz won't admit that it happens), the ingame versions of these pets have become much much cheaper than the real-world TCG cards that create them. A year ago, EST and spectral tiger cub were routinely $200-300 on ebay, and 200k-300k on AH. Today EST and cub are down to 40-60k on AH, but the ebay prices have not come down as quickly: people are still trying to sell EST for $200+, and cub for $120+. Those sellers undoubtedly are waiting for a buyer who is willing to pay extra for a 'legit' version, either because that buyer is unaware of duping or afraid that buying ingame is too risky.

And again, this is completely *not* the buyer's fault, because Bliz either can't or won't stop duping and they won't admit that it happens. So Bliz makes it very difficult for buyers to inform themselves about the true ingame value of these pets.

Azrile
Pet Score:3600
Realm:Fenris-us

Post by Azrile » May 16th, 2014, 10:55 am

There is no way to tell it is a dupe on an individual basis.. the only evidence is when stuff like this happens and the price drops quickly for no reason.

The spectral tiger cub was a different story. You could tell your cub was NOT duped if it was level 1. The process to create a dupe required you to fight a pet battle, which resulted in the duped cub being level 6.

Poofah

Post by Poofah » May 16th, 2014, 1:33 pm

Unfortunately there have been more recent waves of Spectral Tiger Cub dupes, so level 1 is no longer a guarantee that it's not a dupe.

Interestingly, cub/EST/VH supply on AH has dropped by nearly 50% since I last posted. And the prices are not nearly as uniform. I wonder if a banning wave just happened (coincidentally or not, they took down mobile AH in the past couple days too).