What do you think will happen to duplicate pets?

Share pet collecting news and advice.
Sikker
What do you think will happen to duplicate pets?

Post by Sikker » January 12th, 2012, 12:04 pm

I know blizzard hasn't said anything about this yet so this is mostly just a speculation thread. But I'm kinda worried I might lose some of my pets in MoP. More specifically, pets that I have on multiple characters. I currently have several rare pets (dragon whelplings, raptor pets, etc) on multiple characters. And I think that when pets become BoA, they all just kinda turn into one pet..unless blizzard lets you have several of the same pet. But that would be kinda weird, cause then we would have loads of mr chillys, baby blizzard bears, blizzard store pets, etc.

I know it isn't a huge deal, but it just kinda sucks for people who collect on multiple characters because I could make some money off it if I had sold them instead of use them on my alts...

So what do you think will happen?

Harval
MVP
Pet Score:4699
Realm:Aggramar-us

Re: What do you think will happen to duplicate pets?

Post by Harval » January 12th, 2012, 3:17 pm

I doubt they will turn pets into one item across every character because that will give you unfair advantages in pet battles. Though if they did they, I'm sure you would still retain the same leveled pet across all your characters so while it might feel like you're "losing" pets, all your characters should still have access to summon them.

Domie
Top Rater
Pet Score:9549
BattleTag®:Domie#2293
Realm:Ravencrest-eu

Post by Domie » January 12th, 2012, 6:02 pm

I understand the concern here, since from what i read, they are gonna make pets account wide, and tradeable, but does that mean that if you have 2 of the same pet, you will end up with one? or will you end up with 2 with one free for trade? i really have no idea, and i dont think blizzard is sure of how its gonna end out yet, but lets hope we dont end up with our time being wasted! :)

Twilight
Top Rater
Pet Score:1404
Realm:Hellscream-us

Post by Twilight » January 12th, 2012, 6:05 pm

The only reason I didn't trash the duplicate rocket bot I got during winter veil is because I don't know what might happen to it. I'd sell it if given the option. I only ever play one character.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13896
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » January 12th, 2012, 10:39 pm

That's a toughy that I'm sure Blizzard will need to address before MoP!

Honestly though, I just can't see how they would work in an account wide feature while maintaining all characters' collections separate and individual.

My personal take on "Account wide" pets is that all your currently learned pets on a single server will be combined and placed into a single "storage bank" and all your characters on that server will have access to it. So if you have two collectors on a server and both have the Cockroach pet learned, come MoP it would turn into one Cockroach and all your other toons will be able to summon it too. Whether or not this includes pets from both factions, I haven't the slightest idea but I'm leveling a horde character just in case. ;P

That's just my take on it, though. Maybe Blizzard has some tricks up their sleeves and multiple collections on a server will be able to maintain their duplicate pets. I'm not sure how I'd feel about some people having 10 Murkies on a single server due to maintaining duplicate pets though...

As for duplicate un-learned pets (like the duplicate Clockwork Rocket Bots or Sinister Squashlings a lot of people got over the holidays), I think those will remain as is - minus the BoP tag. They'll stay separate and individual items so long as you don't learn them. Since "most" pets will become tradable in MoP, we'll hopefully be able to transfer these duplicates to others or even our other toons on the same server (at least please!)
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

GormanGhaste
MVP
Pet Score:10398
Realm:Uldaman-us

Post by GormanGhaste » January 13th, 2012, 10:10 am

One way it could be implemented would be that pets would be account-wide (or server-wide), but leveling would have to be on an individual basis. So you could sell someone your pet that you've leveled with pet battles, but you'd still have access to the unleveled version of the pet.
Mingyao on Madoran

Phizzie123

Post by Phizzie123 » January 15th, 2012, 3:53 am

I doubt you have anything to worry about. The pets you own on multiple toons will stay on your toons. don't get all up tight. :)

Lysi
MVP
Pet Score:975
Realm:Echo Isles-us

Post by Lysi » January 15th, 2012, 11:34 pm

Things change in this game all the time. Just like most everyone else, I tossed out dozens of Sinister Squashlings, and then, after Hallows End was over, they decided to make them tradable. But that's just the way things go, there are other ways to make gold. At least you have a heads up now that they may be making pets account wide or server wide, so at this point you can avoid learning duplicate pets if you so choose. I am still trying to get some pets on multiple characters, because I want to be able to display those pets on those characters right now, not just have the possibility of doing so in the future.

I'm not entirely convinced they will make all the pets account wide as they said, but if they do, I consider it a boon. No longer will you have to mourn that you didn't get Lumpy or any particular pet on the character you wanted. I'm guessing your pets basically will be characters themselves. Any toon will be able to summon any pet from your pet pool, with all the skills that pet acquired, no matter what character it was summoned on at the time it acquired those skills, since apparently your pets' ability to win battles will improve in time (if all the pets were separate, and you had to not only reaquire but also relevel your vanity pets any time you changed mains, it would be crazy). They say you'll be able to name your pets, but I'm guessing my Siamese will have to be "Yendor" when summoned with any of my toons, not just my rogue who originally had the particular Siamese I think of as Yendor.

I am concerned that they'll do away with the current pet achievements, and make all the new pet achievements about these battles. I don't know if I'll like the pet battles or have time for them, so I hope they still have achievements that appeal to traditional collectors, not just the fighters. I've always wanted a title for my pet collector, but I doubt they'd do any kind of title account wide, so maybe with account wide pets, the title idea will never happen. But we'll see. I imagine MoP will be like Cata for me, in that there are things I love and things I hate about it.
Some of my best friends are imaginary…

Sikker

Post by Sikker » January 16th, 2012, 6:11 pm

Lysi wrote:Things change in this game all the time. Just like most everyone else, I tossed out dozens of Sinister Squashlings, and then, after Hallows End was over, they decided to make them tradable. But that's just the way things go, there are other ways to make gold. At least you have a heads up now that they may be making pets account wide or server wide, so at this point you can avoid learning duplicate pets if you so choose. I am still trying to get some pets on multiple characters, because I want to be able to display those pets on those characters right now, not just have the possibility of doing so in the future.

I'm not entirely convinced they will make all the pets account wide as they said, but if they do, I consider it a boon. No longer will you have to mourn that you didn't get Lumpy or any particular pet on the character you wanted. I'm guessing your pets basically will be characters themselves. Any toon will be able to summon any pet from your pet pool, with all the skills that pet acquired, no matter what character it was summoned on at the time it acquired those skills, since apparently your pets' ability to win battles will improve in time (if all the pets were separate, and you had to not only reaquire but also relevel your vanity pets any time you changed mains, it would be crazy). They say you'll be able to name your pets, but I'm guessing my Siamese will have to be "Yendor" when summoned with any of my toons, not just my rogue who originally had the particular Siamese I think of as Yendor.

I am concerned that they'll do away with the current pet achievements, and make all the new pet achievements about these battles. I don't know if I'll like the pet battles or have time for them, so I hope they still have achievements that appeal to traditional collectors, not just the fighters. I've always wanted a title for my pet collector, but I doubt they'd do any kind of title account wide, so maybe with account wide pets, the title idea will never happen. But we'll see. I imagine MoP will be like Cata for me, in that there are things I love and things I hate about it.
I know what you're saying, and I agree with you. When I first heard of BoA pets, I was against it, but now I am defnitely looking forward to it, even if they do remove duplicate pets. After all I was one of those people who payed 1k gold for an epic ground mount in vanilla, and even though I got no compensation for it I am still happy that it is so cheap for all my alts now. But I just wish we atleast had a little more info, so I would know weither to continue learning them or not. I have recently dinged 85 on my second char and started to get pets from archeology and quests that I already have on my main, and I have no idea what to do with them. For now they are just sitting in my bank but that makes my bag problems even bigger. If only blizzard would hurry up and give us more details I'd be happy.

As for the achievements, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I don't see why they would remove the collecting achievements. Collecting and pet battles will still be entirely different, because theoretically you could become a "pokemon master" with only 3 pets or collect lots of pets without doing the battles. But to be honest, I don't think a title will ever happen, even if there would be no pet battles at all. The achievement rewards have always been the same thing as what you're collecting, for example collecting pets = pet reward, collecting mounts = mount reward, collecting tabards = tabard reward... they generally don't give titles for collecting.

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » January 17th, 2012, 2:04 pm

Sikker wrote:I know what you're saying, and I agree with you. When I first heard of BoA pets, I was against it, but now I am defnitely looking forward to it, even if they do remove duplicate pets. After all I was one of those people who payed 1k gold for an epic ground mount in vanilla, and even though I got no compensation for it I am still happy that it is so cheap for all my alts now. But I just wish we atleast had a little more info, so I would know weither to continue learning them or not. I have recently dinged 85 on my second char and started to get pets from archeology and quests that I already have on my main, and I have no idea what to do with them. For now they are just sitting in my bank but that makes my bag problems even bigger. If only blizzard would hurry up and give us more details I'd be happy.

As for the achievements, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I don't see why they would remove the collecting achievements. Collecting and pet battles will still be entirely different, because theoretically you could become a "pokemon master" with only 3 pets or collect lots of pets without doing the battles. But to be honest, I don't think a title will ever happen, even if there would be no pet battles at all. The achievement rewards have always been the same thing as what you're collecting, for example collecting pets = pet reward, collecting mounts = mount reward, collecting tabards = tabard reward... they generally don't give titles for collecting.
Good points. They do have some titles for completing a whole list of achievements, though. Particular with the pet battles, I'm sure they'll add various benchmarks there, they could add some kind of pet meta achievement that would encompass various other achievements, be time consuming to finish and have a title. I just hope the new emphasis on pets isn't all battle oriented, maybe include some achievements for getting certain regular pets that are a long grind. Well, I've learned I need to just roll with it to enjoy this game, so I'll see what MoP brings and find the things I enjoy from it. :)

Maleika

Post by Maleika » February 16th, 2012, 10:38 pm

Lysi wrote:I'm not entirely convinced they will make all the pets account wide as they said, but if they do, I consider it a boon. No longer will you have to mourn that you didn't get Lumpy or any particular pet on the character you wanted.
Im praying and keeping my fingers crossed that Blizz will exclude CE, TCG, Promo and Blizz store pets from AH trade! I do not want to see these pets being sold in game after spending real life money on them. As much as I would love a Panda Cub or a Mr. Chilly... or even a Spectral Tiger Cub. As a collector, if I had paid for the TCG card for the Tiger Id be pissed to find one on the AH in game after spending around $160+ for the card. The average CE Vanilla, last I looked, was around $2200.

Even though the only pet I really want to use is my WindRider Cub, Id gladly give up that right just so it doesnt end up on AH. If it isnt obtainable in game it should be excluded, at the very least, from AH trade.

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » February 17th, 2012, 12:36 am

Who said they'd be on the auction house?

Pinkymac
Pet Score:1398
Realm:Wyrmrest Accord-us

Post by Pinkymac » February 17th, 2012, 1:12 am

Lysi wrote:Who said they'd be on the auction house?
They said all pets will become tradeable, even after they have been leveled and whatnot. I remember them saying that during Blizzcon.

Maleika

Post by Maleika » February 17th, 2012, 5:02 pm

Pinkymac wrote:
Lysi wrote:Who said they'd be on the auction house?
They said all pets will become tradeable, even after they have been leveled and whatnot. I remember them saying that during Blizzcon.
Yep they sure did and its the one part I dislike about this whole change. Its one thing if you can farm the pet in game and something completely different if it cost real money outside the game. Would be a real shame to see such pets all of a sudden tradeable on the AH.

Jadax
Top Rater
Pet Score:9808
BattleTag®:Sunscorch#2259
Realm:Malygos-us

Post by Jadax » February 18th, 2012, 6:50 am

I'm expecting that "tradeable" means tradeable for other pets. I'm also expecting it to only apply to the new "in-world" catchable pets, really.

I don't see how making a Mini Tyrael tradable would work. At all.

Lysi
MVP

Post by Lysi » February 18th, 2012, 1:44 pm

I did some googling and someone at the con summarized the discussion by saying "most" pets would be tradable, so I don't think it's going to be all in any case, but, yeah, if you're talking about trading pets that are already leveled up in the pet battle system, that doesn't seem like an AH thing to me..?! And if someone gives away their Zergling, then they wouldn't have a Zergling anymore, making it no less rare (although whoever has one you'd see it on all their alts with the account wide pets, so it would seem less rare but only because of that). To be honest, I think this pet battle thing is going to evolve as they get into development, I wouldn't be surprised if things they've said turn out to not be true at all in the final implementation. I'm still waiting for those new Lich King racial dances. XD

Sikker

Post by Sikker » February 19th, 2012, 8:39 pm

TBH I don't see the problem with making blizzcon/TCG pets tradeable, it's not like there's gonna be loads of mini tyraels on the AH for 10k...it will still be rare and worth alot. In fact the exact same thing happened with the TCG mounts already, they are tradeable now but still very rare, you don't see loads of them in the AH. And ofcourse they are still very valuable, sometimes more then a million gold. There were loads of people who bought a spectral tiger for real money back when they were BoP, do you think they are thinking "ah crap I shouldn't have bought it now that I can buy it ingame for 1 million gold which I just so happen to have on my alt."

People still buy the TCG mounts for real money today, just because they are worth so much gold that it is easier for many people to just buy them for real money instead. And the same thing will happen with the blizzcon pets. If we do see them in AH someday it will be for millions, and you'll be glad you bought it for real money instead.

Maleika

Post by Maleika » February 20th, 2012, 9:37 pm

Thats great that you feel that way Sikker. I still don't want to see pets that are purchased strictly outside of game being traded on the AH. IMO it's just unfair to those who have paid rl cash for them. Which leaves myself (and many others I imagine) at an agree to disagree situation. Just don't think it should be allowed.