Thoughts on first come first serve trading

Arrange pet trades on US and Oceanic servers.
Meldron
Top Rater
Pet Score:4602
BattleTag®:Meldwyn#1993
Realm:Galakrond-us
Re: Thoughts on first come first serve trading

Post by Meldron » April 24th, 2013, 8:31 am

Two thoughts:

1. If the original poster is specific about what they are looking for in a trade (i.e., Want to trade my Soul-Trader Beacon for a Sinister Squashling and Mojo), then the first person to respond and offer that exact trade, should be given that opportunity. The only caveat is if the first response is from someone you have no intentions of ever doing any business with due to previous experience or bad reputation.
2. If the original poster is not specific about their trade deal (i.e., Want to trade my Soul-Trader Beacon, post offers) then its all fair game. There really isn't a first come first served in this case because their aren't any terms being discussed initially. Especially if the only responses they get are "Btag=Ilovepets#1001 whisper me in game and let's talk". The original poster may or may not want to respond to that.

For these reasons I believe if you are going to use the forums for trading purposes, make your ask and bids very specific and understandable to begin with.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » April 24th, 2013, 8:50 am

The traders who have posted here are experienced and have come to know the value and rarity of pets being offered up in deals. The tricky parts come up when new pets hit the market and a frenzy begins to acquire them ... the patient, well stocked traders are at an advantage and fair enough, that's the nature of a free market system(the 'please don't rip us off post in the collectors section of this site details this point)

The other variable that comes up is when new players and collectors start to trade. They may do like I did and boost their collection by buying cheaper tcg's and trading. I was happy to find this site and join and read posts to learn the values and best pets to get and level. I have been well treated and enjoyed trades with great people from this site.

What I have to add to this thread is the fact that since this site has regular bumpers and people posting trade talk, a player's
trade offer can get quickly lost and forgotten in the mix. So if people get busy with RL or an offer gets forgotten after a day or two I hope the respective parties can be open to a trader offering their pet or stones to whomever is available.

Faelar
Top Rater
Pet Score:6744
BattleTag®:Faelar#1331
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Faelar » April 24th, 2013, 10:14 am

Gokugohanpan wrote:I'm not a fan of the first come, first serve trading. The only case in which I think it's a good way to trade is if the person trading is looking for something specific in return, and someone offers to make that deal. Otherwise you run into people trying to take advantage of someone not knowing the value of the pet they are giving up. I ran into this problem last month with Faelar. I had a Son of Animus pet the week after ToT/Patch 5.2 came out. Several people wanted to me to contact them in game, and if I had gone with the first person who had done that (Faelar) I would have gotten 2 pandas or common tcg pets. Even though I had several people make level 1 alts on my server and whisper me far, far better deals, and ended up selling it on a very high pop server for over 100k gold.

I also find it amusing that everyone seems to think Faelar is such a great/nice person. When I told him I wasn't interested in his offer, I politely told him I wasn't interested in his offer, said I was looking for much more than that, he proceeded to troll my thread (and then afterwards delete his posts): http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8197181878
I've told people many times that A) I am a much different person(attitude wise) on the wow forums because that one is a troll fest of failure and that being polite on those servers just gets you run over. And B) I offered what I felt is fair. As of right now that pet I've picked up for 12k at least 3 times and its worth is in line with what I offered at the time. You declined my initial offer and that was that. Do I believe that you got 100k+ for it? 100% no but that isn't the purpose here.

Just because a pet is sparkly and new does not mean it is suddenly worth a dragon kite or whatever. That is just the nature of pet trading though. I offered what I was willing to give up for a pet that you could get out of LFR. So anyways this post pretty much does not add much to the topic.

And a small edit: The number of people that will acknowledge I do fair trading and that I am a nice person to deal with in trades can speak for itself. I can count on like one hand the number of bad experiences I've had, and the main person I had those problems with got banned from these forums.

Gokugohanpan
Top Rater
Pet Score:9684
BattleTag®:Phoenix#1386
Realm:Tichondrius-us

Post by Gokugohanpan » April 24th, 2013, 10:59 am

Faelar wrote: Do I believe that you got 100k+ for it? 100% no but that isn't the purpose here.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That was the second of three that I got within the first 3 weeks. The first one sold for 150k, the second one for 100k which is what the screenshot was of (and the buyer was Fluffybunz of Illidan, who when I talked to, said he had a trader lined up and was getting an ethereal soul trader for it), and the third I traded+a dragon kite in exchange for a Wooly White Rhino+Corrupted Hippogryph (both of which I learned). Whether or not you believe any of it or not doesn't stop it all from being true.

On-topic: I completely agree with Meldron's post, and is sort of what I was getting at in my original post. If I have a set trade in mind, I'll usually include my battletag in my post, and the first person to respond gets it, but if I'm not looking for any set thing, I ask people to leave there offers in the post, and that I'll then get back to them.

Tekulve2012
Pet Score:4376
BattleTag®:kingsfoiler#1479
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Tekulve2012 » April 24th, 2013, 11:25 am

I wanted to add another tidbit as food for thought.

When you get down to it, the currency we are dealing with here is time. (other than in the case of bought tcg's)
Fast movers want quick turnover so if I'm ever holding someone up I know I'm occpying their bankspace so trade away I say

If a raid player want to grind for pets (DM Faire, argent tourny, rep etc) or stalk the AH, more power to them
people will pay the pretend currency-(wow gold) if RL time is worth more to them.
-------
As to the 1st come-1st served approach- that's up to the seller IMO- however since customer loyalty matters when you're in it for the long haul , we all try to be fair and give traders an equal chance

Personally, if someone posts 1st to me I will give them priority and like many of you have said, after one, two or a few days -if there's no contact -I move on down the line

Peanutty
Pet Score:9635
Realm:Kil'jaeden-us

Post by Peanutty » April 24th, 2013, 1:15 pm

I try to give first consideration to the first post or battletag response that I get. So far it's worked out pretty well and I've not had any problems - then again I don't work in bulk or with big ticket items so it's not like I've gotten flooded with requests. :) Not all deals will work out and I understand that, and I know people can't be on 24/7 so I try to be patient as well (24 to 48 hrs seems reasonable to me).

I do encourage people to be a little specific when posting trades. I've seen some recently that I don't know how to respond to, like ones that just say "look at my profile" and I can't tell what it is they're wanting to trade?? And also while I know we'd all like to have mini Tyraels and spectral kitties, the reality is, no one is going to trade them for common TCGs or darkmoon pets. So I think being realistic in your expectations helps a lot too in getting good responses.

Really have enjoyed trading thus far. It made me stop lurking here and start visiting a lot more often!

Tahsfenz
Top Rater
Pet Score:3920
BattleTag®:Tahsfenz#1414
Realm:Moon Guard-us

Post by Tahsfenz » April 24th, 2013, 5:59 pm

I just want to say, we've been having a civil conversation here. There is no need to call people out. There is no need for flames here. If you had a bad experience with someone, fine, but that doesn't mean this is the thread for that. I'm not taking anyone's side, since I wasn't there, just saying.