Important CE question

Arrange pet trades on US and Oceanic servers.
Voskres
Top Rater
Pet Score:10910
BattleTag®:Vosk#1999
Realm:Cenarion Circle-us
Important CE question

Post by Voskres » August 27th, 2014, 12:39 pm

I have a fellow who has old CE's that have been opened but he says the game discs themselves are still sealed, therefore the codes are still good.

This will be a physical hand off, I will be able to verify that the game discs are not opened.

I know on CEs I have, they codes have been mainly inside, but these are older than what I have and don't know if this is true for all.

Question being, if the game discs are sealed you think it is a good purchase?

This is an opportunity to get OLD CEs at a very cheap price from someone local who may not know what they have and it excites me but worries me.

Thoughts?

Opteron
MVP
Pet Score:12968
BattleTag®:Opteron#1953
Realm:Lightninghoof-us

Re: Important CE question

Post by Opteron » August 27th, 2014, 1:03 pm

Well, I have been bidding some CE's at eBay to complete my collection.
All I can say, is that only factory sealed CE's will have an unused code.
The CD sealed means nothing, since the code could be used in any account and you will end up having some nice artwork but no pets!
My 2 cents! Regards, Opteron

Sibi
Top Rater
Pet Score:10062
BattleTag®:sibylline#1481
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Post by Sibi » August 27th, 2014, 1:16 pm

Operton is right. Even if the disc is sealed he or someone else could've used the codes.
Your best bet is to see if he can meet at your home, allow you to enter the codes THEN pay him or take a laptop that has WoW installed or maybe (and IDK if this is even possible) customer service could tell you if the the key has been used. I wouldn't take it at face value unless you are only losing a tiny amount of money.

Zahira
MVP
Pet Score:10951
Realm:Archimonde-us

Post by Zahira » August 27th, 2014, 1:23 pm

you can have them call Blizzards 800 number to see if the codes have been used we (my husband and I) did that to a few ebay sellers before purchasing their CE's if the package is opened odds are good they have been used.
Zahira#1279

Kpb321
Pet Score:3974
BattleTag®:kpb#1554
Realm:Sisters of Elune-us

Post by Kpb321 » August 27th, 2014, 1:42 pm

I'm not sure if the old CE codes are scratch offs or not. If they are scratch off's you should be fine as long as they aren't scratched. If they aren't scratch off or have been scratched then you really have no way of knowing if they will be good or not until try to enter them.

Voskres
Top Rater

Post by Voskres » August 27th, 2014, 1:48 pm

There are 4; TBC and newer. Frankly I don;t care about any but TBC. He wants 100 for all 4. I was thinking of offering him 75 because they are 'open'.

I was possibly wanting to bring my laptop to enter code but have to have wireless somewhere.

Voskres
Top Rater

Post by Voskres » August 27th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Heck I look at ebay and opened boxes are going for 25 bucks; I could potentially make back they whole thing if it was a bust.

I am certainly not teaming with cash, but it seems like 100 bucks or less is a potentially low risk amount?

Voskres
Top Rater

Post by Voskres » August 27th, 2014, 1:59 pm

Does anyone have an old TBC CE that can tell me where the game code is and if it is a scratcher? If it is in a card inside then that's a bad sign. I know I have a reg WoLK here and the game was in a cardboard CD case with the key on outside.

Zahira
MVP

Post by Zahira » August 27th, 2014, 2:06 pm

Burning Crusade CE the code is on the outside of the CD case, I have it in front of me right now. I would add a photo for you but the forums don't seem to allow that
Zahira#1279

Voskres
Top Rater

Post by Voskres » August 27th, 2014, 2:12 pm

Crap that's not a good sign. I was thinking i saw same thing in an amazon pic.

Sibi
Top Rater
Pet Score:10062
BattleTag®:sibylline#1481
Realm:Emerald Dream-us

Post by Sibi » August 27th, 2014, 2:13 pm

From a Google search: "If you're asking where the cd key is located, it should be on the container holding the actual disk."

Opened or not he would still see that key I would think, though my CE's have been gifts or trades and I haven't seen the actual game boxes to know. You should try Zahira's suggestion, it should only take a few minutes and it is better than getting cheated out of $100 (which is a good deal for TBC alone but add the others in there and it's a great deal)

Voskres
Top Rater

Post by Voskres » August 27th, 2014, 2:17 pm

The guy is a landlord in a college town and he had to evict some kids and this was in an entire apartment of junk getting left behind. I can't imagine them NOT being used if they are open, but trying to make sure.

A used TBC box with no game code is going for at least 50 on amazon/ebay.

Faelar
Top Rater
Pet Score:6744
BattleTag®:Faelar#1331
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Faelar » August 27th, 2014, 2:19 pm

I mean yeah you might be able to sell the boxes and the stuff (if even all of it is still there). But the 'sealed' thing makes no sense to me. If the box has been open the CDs themselves were just standard cd sleeves/cases with the code on them. There was no seperate sealing for the stuff inside the box.

Voskres
Top Rater

Post by Voskres » August 27th, 2014, 2:27 pm

He has sent me pics of them. The MOP box looks sealed and unopened (plus its the only one he didn't show innards). The cata and WoLK stuff sure looks like it has plastic around the install CDs and neither show the CD key on the outside like my reg WoLK does. Unfortunately the pic of TBC cut off the edge of the case so I can't see the key at the side like you can in the amazon pic above.

Part of the juxtaposition is that it is an hour drive to go meet the guy, I can't just run across town and see.

Faelar
Top Rater
Pet Score:6744
BattleTag®:Faelar#1331
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Faelar » August 27th, 2014, 2:31 pm

I dunno, I would go under the assumption that what you would be buying is basically everything inside the boxes and the empty boxes themselves. I would go assuming none of the codes would work at all. If any of them actually do work it is a bonus.

I remember TBC sealed came with a mousepad and Hearthstone cards as well as the artbook/music cd. So I'd make sure things like that are still there. If any of those are missing it would lower the value of reselling them

Voskres
Top Rater

Post by Voskres » August 27th, 2014, 2:59 pm

I can see everything, the install CD, soundtrack, deck of cards, mouse pads, big book. For all 3 not including MOP.

Voskres
Top Rater

Post by Voskres » August 27th, 2014, 3:25 pm

So update he sent me a clear pic of the Cata CE and I contacted Blizz and it had, in fact, been claimed. Therefore I can only assume they all have.

Zahira
MVP

Post by Zahira » August 27th, 2014, 7:19 pm

just because they are listed at that price doesn't mean they are selling for that price. I tried to sell mine after I ued the code and I re-listed it 5 times at $30 and it didn't sell
Zahira#1279

Nymphis
Pet Score:10073
BattleTag®:Nymphye#1206
Realm:Exodar-us

Post by Nymphis » August 29th, 2014, 12:51 am

Zahira wrote:just because they are listed at that price doesn't mean they are selling for that price. I tried to sell mine after I ued the code and I re-listed it 5 times at $30 and it didn't sell
Agreed. Listing on ebay is not actually selling. It's like the ingame AH... just cause some nut puts up a white crafted item for 100k doesn't mean it's going to sell for that lol.

Always check the completed/sold listings for ebay before you buy anything to try to sell for a profit on there. There's a good chance if it looks like it's too good of a deal - it is.