New Cross Guild Chat option

Discuss the official WarcraftPets guild and Discord channel.
Doobjanka
MVP
Pet Score:9260
BattleTag®:Doobjank#1625
Realm:Madoran-us
New Cross Guild Chat option

Post by Doobjanka » February 12th, 2014, 9:31 pm

Hi all!

The biggest problem I've seen with Guild2Guild is if someone is ignoring a person, they still see them when they are relayed. Also achievement spam!

Brand, Fu, Petsy and I tested out Greenwall on my old server Scilla. ([url]http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/greenwall[/url])
You only see the cross guild chat if you have the addon, you can choose to turn on achievement spam and or leave it off.

Another good thing about it is when activated, you'll see the initials of the guild the person is in if they aren't in yours. So I would see:
<MM> Bloodyfields: Sup Doob!

Bloodyfields would see my response as:
<WCP> Doobjanka: Hi Bloody!

You also don't have to do anything special except have the addon. To see achievements cross guild the command is:
/greenwall achievements on
Change on to off to turn them off.

We will be trying out this addon after the Love is in the Air holiday is over!
Proudly volunteering to this website since 11/09!

Tizril
Pet Score:4419
BattleTag®:Tizril#1624

Re: New Cross Guild Chat option

Post by Tizril » February 12th, 2014, 9:48 pm

This sounds like it could be a good alternative. Ignoring worked a little strange with the other I'm told. Sometimes the relay was on an ignore list, or people were seeing folks they didn't want to. And the achievement spam, oh gods the achievement spam! lol

I really like the guild initials part too, I find myself constantly having to check which guild folks are in (eg: "need one more to make this a guild run for achievements!" "Sure, I'll go, oops, wrong guild", or "can someone invite my alt to the guild?" "which guild?")

Thanks guys for continuing to search for a solution to the logistical challenges of this huge guild family :)

Renjah
Top Rater
Pet Score:7345
BattleTag®:Renja#1581
Realm:Thunderlord-us

Post by Renjah » February 12th, 2014, 11:05 pm

Look forward to trying it out!

Doobjanka
MVP

Post by Doobjanka » February 13th, 2014, 12:53 am

I have heard people mention that they're just starting to get used to G2G. That's a viable concern. G2G will basically have been tested for a month and once the holiday is over we'll test out Greenwall and have a guild(s) vote to decide which is preferred!

This guild is a Democracy, not a Doob-ocracy!

I'm renaming a toon Doobocracy now!

Tizril
Pet Score:4419
BattleTag®:Tizril#1624

Post by Tizril » February 13th, 2014, 11:24 am

I for one welcome our new Doob overlord.

You'd be a good dictator, honest!

Back to the topic at hand though: The only issue I can see possibly arising with greenwall is that there will always be some people who flat out refuse to install mods of any kind. Hopefully said people won't raise a stink that they're getting left out. Also, if we don't have high enough install rates will people be seeing the other guild's chat and responding to it, just to have their response not seen? Or is it a totally different channel it makes?

Tripsied
Pet Score:2102

Post by Tripsied » February 14th, 2014, 10:39 am

I really like the idea of GreenWall, especially seeing the guild tags. Installed GW this morning.

Tiz, to quote from the developer's github's wiki: you can find it via Curse (not letting me post the link)

"If I'm a member of Alea Iacta Est, do I need to run it?

"No, you don't. But guild chat will be very, very frustrating for you if you don't since you will only see about 1% of the complete conversations."

So it seems that if GW isn't installed, you won't see the relayed chat. As to those who choose not to install it, it's really their choice whether to or not to install: if guild chat is that important to them, they will install, if not, they won't. Whether I'm in a yappy mood or not, our green wall is important to me, so I'm installing it. :D :D

Radnok
Pet Score:4023

Post by Radnok » February 16th, 2014, 9:21 pm

It sounds like Greenwall might be a cleaner option. I am willing to give it a try as I definitely like the cross-guild chat.
Radnok (Alliance/Kilrogg)
Igasho/Pandirella (Horde/Madoran)

Doobjanka
MVP

Post by Doobjanka » February 24th, 2014, 12:01 am

We are now using Greenwall exclusively since G2G doesn't seem to work anymore!

Sedaii
MVP
Pet Score:8199
BattleTag®:Sedaii#1645
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Sedaii » January 14th, 2015, 10:33 am

Update: Thanks to Doobjanka, this has been taken care of. :D

I just joined WCP last night (yay!) and installed GreenWall. I am seeing some duplicate messages with <-> instead of the guild initials. I love being able to see everyone chat, and this is not a big deal, I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong so I looked it up.

It turns out that the Greenwall author posted an update a couple of days ago to the About page that addresses this issue and has a recommended a fix. https://github.com/AIE-Guild/GreenWall/wiki/Connected-Realms

[quote]If you are using GreenWall to connect guilds on connected realms, some of your players may see duplicate messages from other members. Some of the messages will display <-> as the guild tag when tagging is enabled.