US-H Madoran: Sunborne's Tournament

Discuss the official WarcraftPets guild and Discord channel.
Sunborne
Top Rater
Pet Score:5096
Realm:Madoran-us
US-H Madoran: Sunborne's Tournament

Post by Sunborne » March 30th, 2016, 4:36 am

Hello all. On April 9th I'll be hosting a tournament on the US-H Madoran realm. I haven't yet decided on a theme. I have several I'm considering that I think could be fun. I'd like to take this time before the tournament to get everyone's opinion on some things from those of you who might be attending and get to know all of you.

Firstly, I try to ensure that everyone has fun and hopefully is nice to everyone. I've never had problems there. I like to try and find themes and tournament "rules" that might make things interesting so that is where I'd like everyone's feedback. I also try and come up with ideas where pet battlers can use pets they might like to use but otherwise wouldn't in a pvp battle without likely losing. So, I'll start with a few examples with past themes that I've done. I'm always thinking of more ideas when I'm not working.

I've done vowel pet name tournaments where the only pets allowed had their name start with a vowel. Y was also allowed but no one used it.

Four legged- or more pets.

Floating pets where their feet or anything similar to feet was not touching the ground.

Expansion zone pets. Raid zones also included. I've doubled up on this idea before to include Outland/Draenor as one zone.

Color themes. This can be mixed up a bit. Pets with matching colors on their bodies. Different ways I change this up is where if the pet has the majority of it's body one color or just a tiny bit. Also matching colors for all three pets or changing it to each pet must be a different color. Example: One pet is red, another green and the third one blue.

In-game event themes. When the Darkmoon Faire is in town I've done all DMF pets or simply one pet from the DMF and let others build a team around their selected pet. I've also done this for in-game holidays but due to some holidays having so little selection only one holiday pet was required.

All raid drops. This one was pretty popular. Any pet from any raid could be used.

Some other ideas I've had but have never been able to use were weather teams, pets with tails, cute pets, and player's person favorites.

Now for some of the "rules" for tournaments that I've used in the past. I like to go "best two out of three matches" in each tier bracket. Also in an attempt to rule out OP compositions I've often used a rule of only one pet per family type per team, but have often allowed the same pets to be used in multiple teams. I've always let players make as many teams as they'd like and allow them to switch teams between each match. Sometimes I'd only allow a pet to be used once, even if you had a duplicate it wouldn't be allowed.

I've paired up battlers by having them /roll a number and the closest numbers would pair up. Here is where I've made things interesting before. I've allowed the highest roller to take a bye round if they wanted so they'd automatically be in the next tier. If there was an even number of participants the highest roller would also have to pick someone else to sit out with them. Those two would battle first in the next round.

If the highest roller chose not to sit out, I allowed them to pick their opponent for their first match and then we'd proceed as normal. We didn't use this rule every week but when we did it was pretty exciting.

Other ways I've wanted to try pairing up battlers, but never got the chance to, is by pairing them up depending on which two showed up first and so on. Also having each battler face everyone once, and the players with the most wins would advance. That was never used because most agreed it would be a little too complicated and maybe take too long when we had large groups.

So that is how I've done things in the past. I'm always open to and welcome new ways of doing things. So please, let me know what you think of my themes and rules and let me know how you've had them in the past, and mostly, how you'd like them hosted.

Petzy
Pet Score:11826
Realm:Norgannon-us

Re: US-H Madoran: Sunborne's Tournament

Post by Petzy » March 31st, 2016, 8:00 am

http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9868

This is a list of some of the ones we have done in the past but there were more after it. I think Tiz usually had some of the rules in the posts but I don't know if she had a post that was just rules. I think some of the Tournys before my time had double elimination but while I was going there were too many there, it would have taken too long so we just had 1 loss & you were out.

You didn't mention prizes, or I overlooked it ;) but we had winner got first choice from the prize bank then everyone else in the order first to last also got a prize pick.

Good luck! :lol:

Sunborne
Top Rater

Post by Sunborne » March 31st, 2016, 10:57 am

Thank you for coming to my rescue again Petzy! (makes mental note to put on glasses before posting next time)

In regards to prizes I haven't spoken much with Fythra about that yet but since I'm not in LPL so I'm guessing Fythra or someone else in LPL will be handling that. I do know enough that WCP guilds do different prizes than what I'm use to so that is refreshing. Pets instead of gold.

Fythra
Pet Score:12907

Post by Fythra » April 1st, 2016, 8:58 am

As GM I have the power to promote people to a certain rank so they can pick their prize. As Petzy said the winner goes first followed by the runner-ups. I promote the winner, he/she picks, and then I demote. Then the next person in line is promoted, he/she picks, and then I demote. And so on and so on.

If a person doesn't want a pet I can hand out gold instead or pet upgrade stones. It depends on their choice. As an aside I really need to look through the prize tabs and determine what to do with all the pets when Legion hits.

Sunborne
Top Rater

Post by Sunborne » April 2nd, 2016, 1:53 pm

How do you tell if your pet is happy? Normally if it has a tail, it's wagging. I'd like to see who has the happiest pets out there so next Saturday attach their favorite leash, feed them a treat and bring them down to the tournament!

All pets that have any sort of tail are welcome.
This should be pretty obvious but just in case, I did make a list for later.

I've read up on past tournament rules so I'll stick with those since everyone would be familiar with them. Pick one team and stick with it. One family type per pet. Best two out of three matches or single elimination depending on how many show up. Also staying with the regular time at 7pm.

I'd like to try and host this one on the beach in Vashj'ir for a beach party or outside the shrine in Pandaria.
Last edited by Sunborne on April 8th, 2016, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terrapinbill
Pet Score:6367
Realm:Thorium Brotherhood-us

Post by Terrapinbill » April 8th, 2016, 7:41 am

so 4/9 ? 7 EST?

Sunborne
Top Rater

Post by Sunborne » April 8th, 2016, 8:22 am

Terrapinbill wrote:so 4/9 ? 7 EST?
Yep, 7pm. :)

Petzy
Pet Score:11826
Realm:Norgannon-us

Post by Petzy » April 8th, 2016, 8:57 am

Terrapinbill wrote:so 4/9 ? 7 EST?
Sunborne wrote: Also staying with the regular time at 7pm.
Madoran is Central time, so if it is at regular time it should be Central still....

Good Luck with it, I hope you get a lot! :D

Fythra

Post by Fythra » April 10th, 2016, 9:48 am

** Update on the tournament. **

The tournament was moved back a week to Saturday April 16th. Same time.

Sunborne
Top Rater

Post by Sunborne » April 15th, 2016, 3:53 pm

This week's tournament will be pet color themes. All pets must be matching colors. You can create as many teams as you like and choose different colors for your teams and swap between each match. One pet per family type per team and all pets can be used repeatedly. I'll be matching participants up by /roll numbers and the tournament will be held outside the shrine.

Sunborne
Top Rater

Post by Sunborne » April 16th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Congratulations to Tereme on winning today's tournament!

Sunborne
Top Rater

Post by Sunborne » June 14th, 2016, 8:13 am

It's been a while since we've had a tournament. So, how about we have one this Saturday on the 18th? If we can put one together, how about we have a Weather tournament? The rules will be simple. One pet per family type, all pets must be weather users and the weather ability must be selected. You can use all of the same weather types for your team or mix and match. If the tournament happens it will be at the Shrine!

Fythra

Post by Fythra » June 15th, 2016, 9:33 am

Sounds good to me. I'll put it on the calendars