5.4 Guide to Master Tamer (levelling) + Beasts of Fable

Guides and information to collecting specific pets.
Daenaira
MVP
Pet Score:3038
Realm:Thrall-us
Re: 5.4 Guide to Master Tamer (levelling) + Beasts of Fable

Post by Daenaira » January 11th, 2014, 1:32 am

On the DMF strategy, as I do not have my Infinite Whelpling maxed to 25 yet, I substituted a Spawn of Onyxia rare (4). I used the same skills as the Infinite with one exception: Lift-Off in place of Borrowed Time. Same strategy as posted and Jeremy was defeated.

Stencil
Pet Score:3290
Realm:Elune-us

Post by Stencil » January 19th, 2014, 4:55 am

Here's a small tweak for the Flowing Pandaren Spirit fight.

1: Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling [4-P/P] (1,1,2)
vs Tiptoe
- Peck until your Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling dies > switch to carry pet

to:
1: Wildhammer Gryphon Hatchling [4-P/P] (1,2,2)
vs Tiptoe
- Peck > Adrenaline Rush > Peck until Tiptoe dies

Three Peck's won't kill Tiptoe, but three* Pecks and an Adrenaline Rush will. The Adrenalin Rush has the added bonus of ensuring that even when you lose the Flying racial, you will still be faster than Tiptoe which means you can kill them before they kill you. If Tiptoe never Tidal Waves, then you can be hit with 3 Water Jets. This has happened to me; the Gryphon has enough to survive them. The only way Tiptoe should be able to kill the Gryphon is if it only uses Water Jet *and* it gets a crit. So, it could happen, but its pretty unlikely.

* - If Tiptoe heals himself, then, of course, you will need four Pecks but since the Peck and heal cancel each other out and you don't take any damage that turn, we can basically ignore it. That is, though, why the Adrenaline Rush comes after the first Peck to ensure the buff is still up for the fourth Peck if Tiptoe heals.

Cabadath
Pet Score:2577
Realm:Auchindoun-eu

Post by Cabadath » January 19th, 2014, 4:58 pm

Impressive :) Great work!

Jerebear
Pet Score:13370
Realm:Llane-us

Post by Jerebear » January 20th, 2014, 4:28 pm

I've been able to trim up Sludgy a bit in the Thundering Spirit fight. If you use the [pet]Sen'jin Fetish[/pet] with [ability]Flame Breath[/ability] and [ability]Rot[/ability], sludgy will always go down in 4 rounds of Flame Breath as it is a 100% hit chance and always has enough damage to kill Sludgy. Rot is for the unlikely scenario that your undead round extends into the first round of Darnak. 3 possible outcomes:

Normal:
Swap in Sen'jin Fetish
Flame Breath
Flame Breath
Flame Breath (Sludgy "kills" you here)
Flame Breath (Undead round, Sludgy dies)
Carry Pet then swap to rabbit (Darnak's first round)
Attack with Rabbit (Darnak burrows)

Occasionally:
Swap in Sen'jin Fetish
Flame Breath
Flame Breath
Flame Breath
Flame Breath (Sludgy "kills" you here, Sludgy dies)
Rot on Darnak (Undead Round, Darnak's first round)
Carry Pet then swap to rabbit (Darnak burrows)

Never seen this, but on the extremely odd chance that the fetish doesn't die:
Swap in Sen'jin Fetish
Flame Breath
Flame Breath
Flame Breath
Flame Breath (Sludgy dies)
Swap to Carry Pet(Darnak's first round)
Swap to Rabbit (Darnak burrows)

The nice thing here, is sludgy always dies in 4 damage rounds (zepp and dragonling can both sometimes do this, but not guaranteed) and it is very RNG resistant. Plus if you get lucky, you get a Rot on Darnak for added damage from your remaining pet (I usually use a rabbit).
Carry Pet Experience Reference Guide:
http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8829

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » January 20th, 2014, 7:21 pm

Sorry I've been on a brief hiatus from pet battling so hadn't made any changes lately. I've fixed the various location errors (thanks for pointing them out). I added Stencil's improvement to the Flowing Pandaren Spirit fight since that's very straightforward. The other changes people have suggested look good (even if it means retiring the Major Payne team I've used for so long) - I need to level up my Sen'Jin fetish, that looks like it's even smoother than the Scourged Whelpling since it has a 0% miss (vs Tail Sweep's 5% miss chance). I just need to sit down and get the work done (though Stencil's done the work for his suggestions, so for me it's just making the edits).

Keep up the great work, all, this is a community guide and anything you can come up with that can improve the guide (while keeping to the goals) is appreciated.

Post by Guest » January 24th, 2014, 10:36 am

This seems like a great guide, but why don't you include the two "Classic" tamers that also reward bags?
Then this could be a guide to all the "Bag Rewarding" quests too?

The master Tamers reward between 1700 and 2500 xp for a carry pet (which is level 1 to level 7 ish) and a bag (chance for stones!)

Portal Org/SW > Mount Hyjal > Quick Flight to Winterspring
Portal Org/SW > Blasted Lands > Fly to Karazhan

Rendigar
MVP
Pet Score:10321
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Rendigar » January 24th, 2014, 4:20 pm

Haevlyn wrote:This seems like a great guide, but why don't you include the two "Classic" tamers that also reward bags?
Then this could be a guide to all the "Bag Rewarding" quests too?

The master Tamers reward between 1700 and 2500 xp for a carry pet (which is level 1 to level 7 ish) and a bag (chance for stones!)

Portal Org/SW > Mount Hyjal > Quick Flight to Winterspring
Portal Org/SW > Blasted Lands > Fly to Karazhan
I do, specifically from the 2nd post of the guide: [url=http://www.warcraftpets.com/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7556#p57978]Part 2[/url]
Rendigar wrote:You can go thru any Blasted Lands portal and fly over to fight Lydia Accoste in Deadwind Pass (40,76), and also go fight Trixxy in Winterspring (65, 64) as they both also give a Sack of Pet Supplies (any of which can contain Flawless-type Battle-Stones). They do not give good XP for your pets, assuming you use 25’s and a carry pet, but the sacks may be worth the effort.
I would not list a strategy for them because any pair of 20-somethings can beat them - if you have gotten this far I know you can beat them with 2 pets if you want the XP from the fight and not just the bag.

Gilmar
Pet Score:3486
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Gilmar » January 25th, 2014, 8:06 pm

No experience for carry pet if it doesn't participate. For Thundering Pandaren Spirit, you have "Note: your carry pet doesn't need to participate, as it will be the only one left alive at the end of the fight and will thus receive XP", but that did not happen for me. :(

Edit: You're right, carry pet DOES get XP if other 2 are dead, even if carry pet doesn't participate. Did this on Thundering Spirit, with Rapana Whelk and Darkmoon Zep exploding at the end; my carried Zandalari Toenibbler got 4813 XP. I must not have been paying attention earlier.
Last edited by Gilmar on January 26th, 2014, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyy
Top Rater
Pet Score:11087
Realm:Barthilas-us

Post by Pyy » January 25th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Hey Gilmar! For that strategy to work, the last source of damage needs to be the explode from the zeppelin, otherwise it won't count as an XP gain!

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » January 26th, 2014, 10:51 am

Yep, you have to explode for the kill shot AND the other 25 must be dead (so the carry pet is the only pet left standing). I do this all the time on the Krasasong Wilds tamer.

Neohellsing

Post by Neohellsing » January 30th, 2014, 11:21 pm

I started to make a guide just like this! I was going to post it... then found its all been done before... oh well. Here is what I found. Maybe it will help with some alternative ways of doing it.
Guide to Leveling Pets Using Tamers of Pandaria, Northrend and Cataclysm (5.4)

If a pet you are trying to level needs to do some damage or survive or do some damage as listed in this guide; you can simply use Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling or some other pet with explode or something like that to get it a few levels first; either with wild pets or some of the other trainers that don’t require that they do any thing. All versions of pets used should be rare quality in order to do well or in many cases to function right. Remember when doing this, dead pets earn no experience, and surviving pets that entered combat will gain all the experience from the battle. So if the pet your are leveling is the only pet to survive the battle, he will gain all the experience even if he didn’t enter combat. Also, if a pet that your leveling entered combat and survived, even with a max level pet which survived, all the experience will go to the low level pet. This switching technique works if you bring in the low level after a pet dies then swapping back out, but will NOT work if you begin the battle with the low level pet and swap him out first turn.

Thundering Pandaren Spirit:
Snail - Ooze Touch, Acid Goo, Dive
Darkmoon Zeppelin - Missile, Explode, Decoy
Pet to level does not need to do any thing if things go well. Kill start with snail. Use dive first turn to avoid rupture, if it misses you can restart with no penalty. Then acid goo and ooze touch twice to kill first pet. Damage 2nd pet using ooze touch first then acid goo. This is where your snail usually dies and should be able to finish off with Darkmoon Zeppelin with 3 Missiles. On the rat, open with missile, decoy, then missile till it has 618 hp or less and explode.

Whispering Pandaren Spirit:
Celestial Dragon - Flamethrower, Ancient Blessing, Moonfire
Infected Squirrel - Stampede, Creeping Fungus, Corpse Explosion
Pet to lvl may need to survive a little bit of damage from cyclone. Celestial Dragon or Nether Faerie Dragon can down the first 2 pets by himself. Its fairly easy to figure out, though it may be a little tricky because the stun from the moth is a pain, but with a little luck he can even do a little damage to the third, if he only manages to do some damage to the dragon, all is not necessarily lost. Start with dragon, use moonfire, ancient blessing, flamethrower, flamethrower, moonfire moth is usually dead here. Then use ancient blessing, when he brings up Whispertail, fallowed by flamethrower, flamethrower, moonfire then this is where the second pet might die. Just flamethrower and moonfire till your dragon is dead. If you were able to kill the first 2 pets with the dragon, bring out the low level pet, then swap to the Infected Squirrel. Use creeping fungus, then Stampede till the elemental is dead, or if your squirrel dies first and the undead breed bonus triggers use corpse explosion. On this one, I use the swap technique if the first 2 enemy pets die from your dragon because if the elemental dies at the same time the squirrel dies, the battle will end before the undead bonus wears off and counts as having survived the fight. Thus your low level pet would not otherwise gain any experience. However if things don’t go so well and your dragon dies before it kills the other, and the squirrel needs to finish it off, use stamped to do it then when it ends and elemental is up use Creeping Fungus and stampede again if you can. If you can tell your Infected Squirrel is going to die soon and you are not stampeding, use corpse explosion. Since the elemental goes first and kills him, then the damned effect triggers before Corpse Explosion is cast, the squirrel will still have another turn.

Hyuna of the Shrines:
Sunreaver Micro-Sentry - Laser, Extra Plating, Call Lightning
pet to level doesn’t need to do any thing. Start with Sunreaver Micro-Sentry, Laser then use Extra Plating. Then Laser till the bug is dead. When snake comes up use Laser, then use extra plating, Call Lightning, Laser then next turn Sentry usually dies if he didn’t already. Bring in Zeppelin and use Decoy. Its perfect for the turtle because his only attack is headbutt which has a 4 round cool down and decoy has 2 charges with an 8 round cool down. just remember to use explode when the turtle is down to 618 hp or less and make sure he isn’t about to use a heal.

Farmer Nishi:
Water Skimmer - Water Jet, Cleansing Rain, Pump (281+ speed works best, may need to change the order you use abilities if slower)
Pet to level will need to be able to survive at least about 167 points of elemental damage, so more if its a mechanical. Start with Water Skimmer, and use Pump first, then Cleansing Rain, then Water Jet until the first elemental is dead. Then for the next elemental start with a pump, then pump and cleansing rain while he is submerged, then Water Jet him till dead, but don’t kill him. On the beast use the pump you have stored, then he should die after the burrow, if not just water jet till dead. However unlikely make sure not to kill the last pet with your skimmer. Use Decoy on Zeppelin then missile till he is about 600 hp or lower, then use explode, make sure to keep track on Burrow it has a 4 round cool down.

Mo’ruk:
Celestial Dragon (OR Nether Faerie Dragon) - Flamethrower, Ancient Blessing, Moonfire
Pet to level does not need to do any thing. Start with Zeppelin, use missile, then decoy, then missile till dead. As soon as moth comes up swap to Celestial Dragon, then use moonfire, ancient blessing, then flamethrower till moth is dead, assuming you don’t get stunned from moth dust. When the turtle comes up use moonfire if it can survive long enough to do so then flamethrower till your dragon dead. Use Zeppelin to bring the turtle to about 600hp or lower and use explode.

Flowing Pandaren Spirit:
Moth - Wild Winds (or Slicing Wind), Cocoon Strike, Moth Dust
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling(made rare) - Breath, Bombing Run, Explode
pet to level needs to be able to survive possibly a lot of aquatic damage. Start with moth, use moth dust, if it misses, you can forfeit and try again. Then slicing winds, cocoon strike, slicing wind, slicing wind and first pet is usually dead here. If moth dust stuns he will swap to second pet sooner, just kill with slicing wind and moth dust, and save cocoon strike for when he switches back to the first one to use agains the last tick on whirlpool. Deal some damage with moth to last pet, make sure not to kill. Bring out zeppelin, use missile to bring down to 618 hp or less and explode. Straight forward fight, just a lot of tidal wave attacks for your low level pet to survive.

Wastewalker Shu:
Moth - Wild Winds (or Slicing Wind), Cocoon Strike, Moth Dust
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling(made rare) - Breath, doesn’t matter, Explode (or Zeppelin)
Pet to lever will need to survive a small bit of damage from quake. Start with Moth, use moth dust, and slicing winds to damage, and save cocoon strike for the last tick of whirlpool. If crab is low health, you may wish to save moth dust for the next pet. Most of the time I can kill the first 2 pets with moth. Then just use Mechanical Dragon to bring down the porcupine to 560 health or lower and explode. The only reason I use the dragonling and not the zeppelin here is because if you should get stuck on the elemental when the moth dies, the zeppelin only has a mechanical attack which doesn’t help agains an elemental.

Seeker Zushi:
Electrified Razortooth - Rip, Blood in the Water, Devour
Pet to level will need to be able to survive a small bit of elemental damage. Start with Electrified Razortooth, use rip, blood in the water, then devour. After devour is done the elemental should be dead. Then the snail comes up use rip then swap to Zeppelin and use Decoy, then swap back to razortooth. Use rip, devour. Snail usually dies here, use rip, blood in the water rip then pass till razortooth is dead. Use Zeppelin explode for the win. If razortooth dies just before the snail does because he didn’t get healed from devour all is not lost, zeppelin can still finish off the snail and kill the aquatic with the help of his decoy.

Burning Pandaren Spirit:
Bonkers - Jab, Doge, Tornado Punch
Snail - Ooze Touch, Acid Goo, Dive
Pet to level will need to be able to survive a little damage from Cyclone, which can do about 120 damage each round for 5 rounds, but only 35% hit chance. Start with Bonkers and use Tornado Punch (just restart if it misses), doge, then jab till the dragon is dead. Elemental will become active, use jab and tornado punch until bonkers is dead. Bring out your low level pet, then swap to your snail. The sail is good against both the elemental and fire fly.

Courageous Yon:
Chrominius - Arcane Explosion, Ancient Blessing, (Surge of Power or Ravage)
Pet to level does nothing. Use Chrominius’s arcane explosion to kill the chicken, use ancient blessing when its not on cool down starting after the first lift-off lands. When the Rabbit comes up use surge of power, then chrominus dies here. Use Zeppelin’s missile to finish off the rabbit then bring the ram down to 618 hp or lower and explode. If you use Ravage instead of surge of power, just use it whenever it would kill a pet so it will heal him. In fact, that way you can kill the first 2 pets completely and put the last one into range of a zeppelin explosion.

Aki the Chosen:
Curious Oracle Hatchling - Water Jet, doesn’t matter, Dreadful Breath
Chrominius - Arcane Explosion, Ancient Blessing, Ravage
Pet to level does nothing. Start with Oracle Hatchling, use Dreadful Breath till the turn just before he dies (around 500 or 600 hp left) and use water jet twice. Then use dreadful breath till either the oracle dies or the dragon in the back line dies. When oracle dies, bring out low level pet then swap to Chrominius. Use arcane explosion till the dragon in the back line dies if he isn’t already, then ancient blessing, ravage, and the grasshopper should die here if he isn’t already dead. Other wise IF both grasshopper and dragon is dead before the oracle hatchling dies, then just water jet or ravage to kill the otter, just remember to swap to low lvl pet at some time to make sure he gets the experience.

While your doing the Northrend ones, be sure to stop by the spawn locations for the Unborn Val’kyr if you don’t already have one.

Major Payne:
Infested Bear Cub - Diseased Bite, doesn’t matter, Corpse Explosion
(or instead of Infested Bear Cub you could probably use Gulp Froglet)
Pet to level doesn’t need to do any thing most of the time. This is one of my least favorite battles. I’ve found this actually works best with Zeppelin first then swap to Phoenix Hatchling for the speed stat, but I realize that pet can be hard to come by. Start with Zeppelin and use decoy, the bear will either use bash or rampage first. I don’t know what determines it, seems random. If he uses bash I recommend forfeiting till he doesn’t. Use Decoy then just Missile till dead. If one missile misses, sadly your pretty hosed. Beakmaster X-225 comes out damage it as much as you can, I’ve been able to successfully down him past his first health by using decoy to survive long enough to get him in range of explode. When zeppelin dies, use infested bear cub to finish him off, then bloom becomes active. Use diseased bite till he becomes undead then use corpse explosion. Very difficult fight. Good luck, you will literally need it.

Nearly Headless Jacob:
Swamp Croaker - Tongue Lash, Swarm of Flies, Bubble
Pet to level does nothing. Start with Swamp Croaker, use swarm of flies and lash till the first pet is dead. He will make you swap pets with Death grip, just swap back. All enemy pets are undead, so they will come back to life for 1 round, when the first one does that use bubble to block the call darkness from the second one.

Gutretch:
Clockwork Gnome - Mettle Fist, Repair, Build Turret
Pet to level doesn’t need to do any thing. Start with Gnome, use Build Turret, Mettle Fist, Repair, Mettle Fist.(fist pet dead) Build Turret, then Mettle Fist till gnome is dead. When he is dead, bring out Zeppelin and missile the rat until its in range of explosion, which is 618hp

Orkut Dragonwaste:
Scourged Whelpling - doesn’t matter, Call Darkness, Dreadful Breath
Pet to level does nothing. Start with Scourged Whelpling and use Dreadful Breath then when its done Call Darkness. Use Dreadful Breath again until your whelpling dies. Then Zeppelin uses Missile till the second pet dies once then on the turn it comes back to life use decoy. When the third pet comes up use Missile till its dead, and on the turn it comes back to life use explode to ensure the pet to level is the only survivor.

Beegle Blastfuse:
Nether Faerie Dragon - Arcane Blast, Exchange Life, Moonfire
Pet to level does nothing. Start with Nether Dragon. The first bird some times opens with lift off, but it doesn’t matter to me just use arcane blast any way because it triggers its extra damage for the next time even if it misses. When second pet stuns him, just pass turn, and just use arcane blast, it does more damage now than moonfire. However if you get down to 300hp with Nether Dragon, you will need to use Life exchange just to stay alive. Try to get in a moonfire or something on third pet and just damage till dragon is dead. Then you should know what to do by now about pets with explosion, just remember to use decoy just before Ice Tomb lands… or not, probably got lots of health and a mechanical revive to get you through.

Obalis:
Celestial Dragon - Flamethrower, Ancient Blessing, Moonfire
Pet to level does nothing. Start with Zeppelin, use decoy, then missile to death. When moth comes up switch to your dragon, and use flamethrower, moonfire, ancient blessing, flamethrower. Flamethrower and moon fire till moth is dead, and keep doing that till your dragon is dead from the critter, bring out zeppelin and use to damage critter down to 618 hp or lower and explode.

Goz Banefury:
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling(made rare) - Breath, Thunderbolt, Decoy
Pet to level does nothing. This one is waaaaaaaaaaay to unpredictable but to help come up with something that might work for you; start with Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling, use thunderbolt, breath, decoy, breath, breath, thunderbolt, pass for dark rebirth, breath then phoenix may die here. Amythel comes up, use breath till you can use decoy then thunderbolt and the Amythel usually dies here. Spider becomes active, use breath a few times till mechanical dragon is dead, then bring out zeppelin and explode, or missile a few times till spider is down to 618 hit points then do it.

Brok:
Flayer Youngling - Triple Snap, Deflection, Rampage
Pet to level needs to survive about 175 magic damage more if its a flying pet while he is waiting his turn, then a 2 rounds of swarm. Start with Flayer Youngling, use deflection, rampage, deflection, triple snap, triple snap, then first pet should be dead here. Lizard comes out, use rampage, and a triple snap if it survives, then it should be dead next turn or so. Use missile from zeppelin till lizard is dead, then roach comes out. Use missile twice then, decoy. Try to use missile till its about 618 health or lower. Unfortunately the roach will probably use survival, thats why your pet to level will need to be able to survive a lot of damage to land at least 1 hit point of damage.

Bordin Steadyfist:
Electrified Razortooth - Rip, Blood in the Water, Devour
Pet to level does nothing. Start with Razortooth, use rip blood in the water, devour, first pet dies. critter becomes active, devour continues, then use rip, then devour, critter usually dies after devour finishes. Last elemental becomes active, use rip, and devour, then pass till your pet is dead. I know, self restraint is soooooo hard to come by. Then explode with zeppelin for the win.

Kring
Pet Score:6755
BattleTag®:scrufola#2941
Realm:Kargath-eu

Post by Kring » January 31st, 2014, 4:57 am

Neohellsing wrote:I started to make a guide just like this! I was going to post it...
You... you really like the Zeppelin, don't you? :-)

Thanks for posting this. I'm especially looking forward for the burning spirit team. That's the last team I still use the stupid, always missing, annoying Idol.

(btw: For the Flowing Pandaren Spirit you use the Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling but the description mentions the Zeppelin.)

Hammered
Pet Score:6979

Post by Hammered » January 31st, 2014, 1:32 pm

So, since I've had this happen at least twice, I thought I'd ask.

When fighting Aki the Chosen, I've been using Zandalari Raptor + Clockwork Gnome + carry pet. Raptor kills the cricket, Stormlash kills the raptor, and Gnome kills Stormlash with a turret. Whiskers comes out, I bring out the carry pet, Whiskers dives. I bring out the Gnome who eats the dive and kills Whiskers.

At the end of the fight, my carry pet gets no XP. No level up, nothing in the log, etc. Anyone else seen this happen? The first time, I thought that maybe I had forgotten to bring out the carry pet, so from then on I was very careful with that trainer. But I've seen it happen twice since then.

Great guide BTW!

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » February 1st, 2014, 10:47 am

I think it is a bnet thing. I saw this 3 times yesterday when I soloed wild teams with my level 24 and still got no EXP. Now on AKI, I do sometimes get no indication of getting EXP like you describe, but my pet has always gotten that EXP regardless (At least they always gain a level or more).

Goblein
MVP
Pet Score:5622
Realm:Bronzebeard-us

Re: (4) No-No - Lucky Yi

Post by Goblein » February 2nd, 2014, 4:37 am

Rendigar wrote:
Farmer Nishi - Location: Valley of the Four Winds (46, 43)
Team 1: 14 rounds
  • 1: [pet]Eternal Strider[/pet] [8-P/S] (1,2,2)
    2: Carry pet
    3: [pet]Darkmoon Tonk[/pet] [-] (1,1,2)
    Alt1: Any strider or tiny goldfish of speed of 280+, higher power is best
    Alt3: Tranquil Mechanical Yeti [-] (1,1,2), Menagerie Custodian [-] (1,1,2)
vs Siren
  • - Pump > Cleansing Rain > Pump > Pump > Water Jet (repeat Water Jet if it missed)
vs Toothbreaker
  • - Pump > Cleansing Rain > Pump > Water Jet (repeat Water Jet if it missed)
vs Brood of Mothran
  • - Pump > Water Jet until your Eternal Strider dies (usually will be immediately to Mothran’s Dive)
    switch to carry pet > switch to Darkmoon Tonk > Shock and Awe > Ion Canon
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Instead of Water Jeting until the Eternal Dies, switch to carry pet, mothran will dive, switch to Tonk, to be safe S&A then Cannon, but unless his heal hits you for a crit Canon will kill him. The tonk takes the hit, but this usually cuts a couple rounds off, even if he does survive the canon, he will hot survive S&A after you recover.

Aur
Pet Score:9797
Realm:Kel'Thuzad-us

Post by Aur » February 2nd, 2014, 11:53 am

Hammered wrote:When fighting Aki the Chosen, I've been using Zandalari Raptor + Clockwork Gnome + carry pet. Raptor kills the cricket, Stormlash kills the raptor, and Gnome kills Stormlash with a turret. Whiskers comes out, I bring out the carry pet, Whiskers dives. I bring out the Gnome who eats the dive and kills Whiskers.

At the end of the fight, my carry pet gets no XP. No level up, nothing in the log, etc. Anyone else seen this happen? The first time, I thought that maybe I had forgotten to bring out the carry pet, so from then on I was very careful with that trainer. But I've seen it happen twice since then.
It is a bug with the Aki fight. Your pet should still get XP (if you remembered to swap him in), but the log doesn't show it.

Darkwarrior42
Pet Score:6906
Realm:Thrall-us

Post by Darkwarrior42 » February 9th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Just wanted to post my experience regarding the listed strategy for Nitun.... burst team 2 is tagged "ideal" against him, implying that it should pretty much always work, but I rarely see it work.

Most of my battles with this team end up with Nitun healing back to high health. Surge of Power only occasionally gets off (usually Chrominius is killed before he gets a chance to use Surge of Power, and I've seen him killed the turn he comes out before he can even get off a howl). If I do manage to get off surge of power, it's not enough to finish him off, and Chrominius never lives long enough to get off a bite and a surge of power, so he then dies to ravage which allows Nitun to heal... after that, the Darkmoon Tonk has the potential to finish the fight, but at that point it seems to be about 50/50 whether Nitun or the Tonk prevails. (It's possible I'm doing something horribly wrong of course, but so far as I can tell I'm following the guide's strategy exactly and my team just falls over before I can get Nitun down.)

The team I've had the best luck with so far is:
Moon Moon (P/S) (2,2,2)
Fossilized Hatchling (P/S) (1,1,1)
Sandy Petrel (P/B) (2/1/2)

I doubt the breeds are ideal, that's just what I happen to have atm. Open with Moon Dance, if it'll let you survive a ravage to get off more bites, use Bite until Moon Moon is one turn away from death (don't let him get eaten by ravage; dying to rake is ok). Change to the Fossilized Hatchling, use ancient blessing if it'll help you survive an extra turn, otherwise just spam bite (usually I just spam bite). Sometimes Nitun dies to bite spam from the Fossilized Hatchling; if he doesn't, the Sandy Petrel usually can finish the job with one or two uses of Thrash. It's a bit less reliable than I'd like still (primarily in keeping Moon Moon from dying to an untimely Ravage), but it's worked well for me in general.

All that said, I also wanted to thank you for the tremendous amount of work you put into this; prior to getting a good team set up of my own, this guide helped me pick pets to level and was instrumental in me getting to a point where I could figure out alternatives to use in situations like this.... and Nitun is the only strategy here that I have had any difficulties with.

Stencil

Post by Stencil » February 19th, 2014, 11:15 pm

Darkwarrior42 wrote:Just wanted to post my experience regarding the listed strategy for Nitun.... burst team 2 is tagged "ideal" against him, implying that it should pretty much always work, but I rarely see it work.
An explode team is definitely what you want against Nitun since he never gets to kill anything with Ravage and never heals.

The other option to keep Nitun from healing, if you don't have an explode team, is to use an all Undead pet team. Because of the way that the Undead racial works, Ravage never gets credited as having killed an Undead pet and the heal will never trigger. Even though Nitun is a Critter, all of his attacks are Beast type so you won't take extra damage. Rikki's Bloodfang attack (3rd pet of the Celestial tamer Sully) works the same way which is why I like to use an undead as my second pet in that fight.

As a starting point, you could lead with a doom pet (Unborn Val'kyrs are always nice), follow that with a double damage debuff pet (Stitched Pup with Howl, Macabre Marionette with Dead Man's Party, Blighted Squirrel with Stampede) and just close out if needed with something that has a Beast type attack (your Fossilized Hatchling is a great choice).

Heck, any 3 undead pets with a beast attack should work. Bigglesworth is nice because when he Prowls his speed will drop below yours and you can Ice Barrier to block that attack (then just pass next turn to block the next one).

Here's another fun combo. Start with Blighted Squirrel and Woodchipper until you die; cast Stampede during your extra Undead round. Then go with Infested Bear Cub and Roar > Maul. You can kill him in five or six rounds with that. Nitun could disrupt that some by Raking your Maul but the third pet should be enough to finish Nitun off.

Jerebear

Post by Jerebear » February 20th, 2014, 12:18 am

I actually do a modification of that last part you mentioned:

I use Chi-Chi (wild magic + feign), infected squirrel (creeping fungus + stampede), and blighted squirrel (wood chipper + stampeded).

Nitun goes down fast due to wild magic buffing both stampede and the dots. Feign gives an easy swap without getting the squirrel pounded.

Stencil

Post by Stencil » February 20th, 2014, 6:31 am

Another fun, though not as fast, combo I found was to start with Spirit Crab and Claw until your bonus round when you cast Rot to make Nitun Undead. Then you follow up with something like the Infected Fawn (Adrenaline Rush and Flurry) to finish him off.
Stencil wrote:Heck, any 3 undead pets with a beast attack should work.
Actually, I've realized you really only need 2 undead pets for Nitun. If he kills your third pet it doesn't really matter whether or not he healed up doing it; you've lost either way. So, you can probably put any hard hitter you want last.
Darkwarrior42 wrote:Just wanted to post my experience regarding the listed strategy for Nitun....
Darkwarrior42 - I took a look at your pet collection and based off what you have leveled I'd say you should just use:
1 - Unborn Val'kyr (122 Shadow Slash, Doom, Unholy Ascension)
2 - Fossilized Hatchling (1-- Claw, doesn't matter)
3 - Sunreaver Micro-Sentry (122 Laser, Haywire, Supercharge)

Doom > Shadow Slash til killed > Unholy Ascension in bonus undead round
Claw til dead
Supercharge > Haywire

Most times, I suspect you won't even get to the Micro-Sentry.