Wild Pet Spawning Conditions

Guides and information to collecting specific pets.
NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us
Re: Wild Pet Spawning Conditions

Post by NathKnave » November 12th, 2012, 10:50 pm

From an recent WoW Archivist article from WoW Insider about the history of weather in WoW:
Northrend was ripe for dynamic weather... Instead, it's all static: it rains or snows in set locations.
Does anyone have any more information about this? Are snowstorms in the Storm Peaks on a schedule, or have they updated Northrend with dynamic weather like Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor?

Theorby
Pet Score:1264
Realm:Scarlet Crusade-us

Post by Theorby » November 20th, 2012, 8:24 pm

Sephiiro wrote: For the Infected bear cub, it's not a time or weather condition.. it's if mommy is there :)
When I was hunting for a rare cub I would "mark" the momma bears by killing the egg spawns on their back, had the field mostly moms. Didn't take long at all to get my rare that way.

Schaufel
Top Rater
Pet Score:2176
Realm:Feathermoon-us

Post by Schaufel » December 9th, 2012, 2:39 am

The Little Black Ram in Loch Modan only spawns during the day, roughly between 3 AM and 7 PM server time (I would have said 6 AM since that's "dawn" by most clocks, but lots of people on Wowhead have confirmed it starting to spawn around 2:30 AM). Once the sun goes down, they go to sleep, and you won't see any again until the next day.

Bonhomous
Pet Score:2167
Realm:Maiev-us

Post by Bonhomous » December 12th, 2012, 10:00 am

Does anyone have any idea how often a day it snows in Storm Peaks? For over a month now I've been through that zone at various times and I have never ever seen it snow. It's freakin' Storm Peaks for goodness' sakes - it should be snowing all the time.

I have waited there for an hour at a time, and nothing. Some weekend i'm going to have to spend all day there. (oiy the boredom - it's not like there are lot of other pets that I can duel leveling my existing pets. I'll have to find some quest chain to work on)

so if anyone has any idea of rate of snow in Storm Peaks, I would appreciate any information on the subject. I checked weather dot com, but wasn't sure what the zip code was for Storm Peaks.

NathKnave
Top Rater
Pet Score:6469
Realm:Aerie Peak-us

Post by NathKnave » December 12th, 2012, 3:31 pm

I checked once or twice every day at different times using my Northrend Wormhole, and it still took me almost two weeks to get there during snow. The plus side is that when I finally got there while it was snowing, it snowed for quite awhile, and I was able to battle until I found a rare fox kit. One thing to keep in mind, is while I was moving it did not appear to be snowing at all. Once I stopped moving, the animation for the snow would resume.

Humbelle
Pet Score:4574
Realm:Argent Dawn-us

Post by Humbelle » December 18th, 2012, 10:30 am

Quintessence wrote:
  • Qiraji Guardling - Silithus (The Scarab Wall and The Scarab Dais)
    • Spawns only during the summer.
      Note: They can spawn on either side of the wall, and all the way up to the portal entrance for either instance.
Does anyone know if hemisphere has any effect on this? I know in Australia, it is now summer. So in Australian servers, are these spawning?

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » December 18th, 2012, 3:20 pm

Humbelle wrote:
Quintessence wrote:
  • Qiraji Guardling - Silithus (The Scarab Wall and The Scarab Dais)
    • Spawns only during the summer.
      Note: They can spawn on either side of the wall, and all the way up to the portal entrance for either instance.
Does anyone know if hemisphere has any effect on this? I know in Australia, it is now summer. So in Australian servers, are these spawning?
No, AU servers follow the NA servers in terms of season.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Jordicus
Top Rater
Pet Score:2793
Realm:Arygos-us

Post by Jordicus » December 19th, 2012, 6:38 am

Bonhomous wrote:Does anyone have any idea how often a day it snows in Storm Peaks? For over a month now I've been through that zone at various times and I have never ever seen it snow. It's freakin' Storm Peaks for goodness' sakes - it should be snowing all the time.

I have waited there for an hour at a time, and nothing. Some weekend i'm going to have to spend all day there. (oiy the boredom - it's not like there are lot of other pets that I can duel leveling my existing pets. I'll have to find some quest chain to work on)

so if anyone has any idea of rate of snow in Storm Peaks, I would appreciate any information on the subject. I checked weather dot com, but wasn't sure what the zip code was for Storm Peaks.
just take a character and park them inside Boundercrag's Refuge facing the door. if it's snowing in Stormpeaks, you can see it out the door as soon as you login. that way you can just check on that character every so often without wasting a lot of time sitting there....

Waveryn
Pet Score:13627
Realm:Madoran-us

Post by Waveryn » December 20th, 2012, 10:30 am

Everyone wants a white Christmas and I am hoping Blizz thinks this way and has snow on Christmas, I will be checking Storm Peaks for sure that day.
Wave

Birdtoyparts
Realm:Eldre'Thalas-us

Post by Birdtoyparts » December 22nd, 2012, 9:53 pm

just picked up the Flayer Youngling (between Terokkar Forest and Hellfire Pen) Night 9:47 pm server time. Only saw one spawn.

Notamonk
Pet Score:833
Realm:Firetree-us

Post by Notamonk » December 24th, 2012, 11:17 am

Caught my Baby Ape last weekend! :)

Unfortunetly it was only uncommon though.. >.>

Does anyone know any approximate times when the rain will actually happen on the island? When it started raining when I was there it was about 12am (Midnight).

Faultygiant
Pet Score:4852
Realm:Azjol-Nerub-us

Post by Faultygiant » December 26th, 2012, 1:24 am

From my experiance Weather is a random state,in other words just like spawns can be rare ect the weather has the same chance,just snow in Storm Peaks seems to be rare.

Quintessence
Site Admin
Pet Score:13864
Realm:Proudmoore-us

Post by Quintessence » December 26th, 2012, 1:47 am

Notamonk wrote:Does anyone know any approximate times when the rain will actually happen on the island? When it started raining when I was there it was about 12am (Midnight).
From what I've observed the most common times for rain on the island and sandstorms in tanaris are 3, 6, 9 and 12 (either am or pm), give or take an hour or so from each. So I would check at those times, plus an hour before (and an hour after if the specific weather condition hasn't started up yet). But that's just based on what I've experienced, and I haven't actually tested this theory thoroughly. Could be completely wrong lol.
Feel free to browse through my pet collecting blog: http://wowpetaddiction.blogspot.com

Annod
Pet Score:2600
Realm:Alleria-us

Post by Annod » December 26th, 2012, 8:56 am

Hello fellow pet-a-holics!

I was wondering if anyone knew of any special spawning conditions for the Scourged Whelpling - I have been trying to get this one and the Minfernal for some time now.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Annod

Mritchey
Pet Score:2244
Realm:Ysera-us

Post by Mritchey » December 27th, 2012, 11:17 am

Quintessence wrote:Can someone help confirm the following or provide other info?
  • Restless Shadeling - Deadwind Pass (Master's Cellar)
    • Spawns only late at night (starting around Midnight). Note: The cellar is underground and can be accessed from the ruins outside of karazhan.
Prior to Pet Battles, the shadeling DID spawn only at night, but it's about 6 AM (server time) and I'm seeing 3 spawns in the cellar. The weather is clear and sun is rising.
Caught this one well past 9am and they were continuing to respawn. I caught a rare around 11 then went to another area to catch some other pets. Came back to get the eye and noticed several more shadelings had spawned.

Ziarre
Realm:Suramar-us

Post by Ziarre » December 31st, 2012, 8:00 pm

I've noticed that too, it's not uncommon for me to see several now that I'm doing the Grand Master daily there.

Waveryn

Post by Waveryn » January 4th, 2013, 7:54 am

Something you may want to try for a Minfernal. I got lucky and unlucky the same day, had camped and logged in for 2 weeks at random times. One day the second I logged there was a green paw, I was so excited I clicked to find I had level 1 pets equipped :cry: and it was an uncommon to boot. The logout in battle had been fixed so I was screwed. I flew around and maybe 30-40 minutes later another appeared, It is poor or common I forget and a BB breed which I believe is not good so not sure if I should stone it and be done or look for better.

But the trick I do believe can make them spawn, you need help. The area is almost always crowded on my server and most of the toons are from other servers, so I am not sure if they are on my server or I am on someone elses, I wish they would just leave people on their own servers and nix this cross realm KaKa.
Ok OK, the trick is simple, have someone kill paws/other pets all around the zone while you keep watch for Minfernals, rats and moth and such will start to appear, just kill them and keep watch. It is best to do this early AM hours or when you can find few people there to be sure and see any that may spawn before someone else gets them. I have told 2 horde players now from other servers farming where ever we were to watch tightly, they had been trying for weeks, I went to killing stuff and both had a Minfernal within an hour and were so thankful, sadly neither offered to return the killing so I could try and upgrade mine but I did not care.
Good luck and let me know if it works.
Wave

Annod
Pet Score:2600
Realm:Alleria-us

Post by Annod » January 7th, 2013, 11:24 pm

Thanks for your reply Wav, I'll try it and let you know how it works out, just this and the scourge whelp and i'm done till summer (except for the instances pets and if they add more)

:)

Drudatz
Top Rater
Pet Score:10205
Realm:Kul Tiras-eu

Post by Drudatz » January 9th, 2013, 4:33 am

Annod wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew of any special spawning conditions for the Scourged Whelpling - I have been trying to get this one and the Minfernal for some time now.
yeah same here tryin to just find one of each no matter wich quality (have stones to instantly make them both rare) but no luck as they both are camped by 5 servers 24/7....

Waveryn

Post by Waveryn » January 16th, 2013, 9:27 am

While doing dailys I always checked the Minfernal area, the other day I saw like only one person, so I quickly went to killing other marked battle pets in the surrounding area on all sides of where they spawn and would fly by the spawn zone maybe every 5-8 kills and killed any rats or moths that spawned, within 30 minutes I was shocked by a paw that was a Minfernal, glad I did not flame shock it :mrgreen: . Luckily it was the better breed ID even though Grey, I had the BB uncommon already.
An add-on I have, Quality Pet Notifier, I believe recently started listing all possible breed ID's of every pet in game when you mouse over the paw or in Journal Window, and I am pretty sure there are only 2 types avaliable for Minfernal, so I am thrilled and done.
And killing other pets will make them spawn if you can be lucky to find not many around or enlist help.
Goos Luck
Wave